• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksrb

@ Question of the Day RE: Spin off & Genre

---

Interesting question. I would like to see a Sakurai developed FPS - Kid Icarus or otherwise. He is so brilliant at deconstructing genre conventions and rebuilding something more interesting.

I also think there is space for a more arcade-y football (american) game. Madden is a lot to deal with, but there should be something between Blitz and Madden. Like a 6 on 6 mode or something...Super Mega Baseball is a really fun non-licensed and arcade-y sports game that I would like to see more of.

LordKano

Another day, another new Switch game to add :
1479830436-rohlala-la-switch.jpg

Peterc

Would the switch sell much better if they waited with the nes mini classic and sold it together with the switch only as package?

Nes classic are sold out and also they could make the connection that they are back in the core games like the time with the NES

random25

Would the switch sell much better if they waited with the nes mini classic and sold it together with the switch only as package?

Nes classic are sold out and also they could make the connection that they are back in the core games like the time with the NES

I don't think so. It's kind of a conflict of interest since they are both home consoles, with the Switch being a hybrid. It's not like they exist on one ecosystem, if that makes sense.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I just got scheduled to teach a class on Jan 12th which probably means I'll be tied up during the Switch event. Fuck fuck shit. I assume pre-orders will go live immediately after/during the event. If this prevents me from getting one I'm going to throw a fit.

Any chance that we'll be able to put in preorders prior to the event?

Pachimari

I'm just thinking that they don't have to announce that many games at this January event. I mean they could announce Splatoon, Mario Kart and the 3D Mario game. And then the third parties can send out their own press releases and media after the event. I wouldn't expect Smash Bros or Xenoblade to be shown. They'll probably get announced at E3.

ramparter

Banned
I'm just thinking that they don't have to announce that many games at this January event. I mean they could announce Splatoon, Mario Kart and the 3D Mario game. And then the third parties can send out their own press releases and media after the event. I wouldn't expect Smash Bros or Xenoblade to be shown. They'll probably get announced at E3.
I dont expect only Nintendo games in the event. Skyrim will be there Im sure.

Clessidor

There'll probably some footage of Skyrim, Rabbits RPG, NBA 2K and stuff like that. I just wouldn't expect too many third party games. How long is the Direct even gonna be?

It will be a press conference and not a direct. We don't know how long it will take place. I would guess something around 90-120 minutes or so.

There'll probably some footage of Skyrim, Rabbits RPG, NBA 2K and stuff like that. I just wouldn't expect too many third party games. How long is the Direct even gonna be?

They're renting out the largest convention center in all of Japan for a weekend. Expect there to be a long stream, maybe 2 hours or so, and on top of that a huge amount of demos for the press. I'd guess maybe close to 20 games playable at the event.

Not to mention the simultaneous press events in other countries. This is much, much bigger than a Direct.

DMONKUMA

I imagine there is things that are gonna be revealed at the conference that the "leakers" haven't heard about or just haven't told/"leaked" about it yet.

It'd be interesting to see what the accessories are.

Retrobox

Renting out the largest convention center in all of Japan for a weekend....only to reveal nothing but Wii U ports. For shame, Nintendo!

I kinda forgot about the scope of this though. Like Pachimari, I was thinking within the realms of a direct. But with this, expectations will be high. So I really hope they got at least 2 bombs to drop.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I don't understand this. Where from comes this idea that Nintendo need to save announcements for E3? This year E3 was no longer important for Nintendo. It's a console launch, they really need to kick it out of the park. It comes after two failed launches. It's their first live conference after the terrible E3 2012. Nintendo has a lot to prove and needs to make Switch a success. Only after that it can worry about E3.

And I surely hope it has games to show at E3 without holding back on the first 9 months of Switch after the long break they took from Wii U.

HylianTom

Banned
They're renting out the largest convention center in all of Japan for a weekend. Expect there to be a long stream, maybe 2 hours or so, and on top of that a huge amount of demos for the press. I'd guess maybe close to 20 games playable at the event.

Not to mention the simultaneous press events in other countries. This is much, much bigger than a Direct.
It's almost like they've resurrected SpaceWorld, to be honest. Feels the same. I know I'm definitely taking that Thursday and Friday off, just to watch from home (and to be ready when preorders open).

50 days..

Pachimari

I don't understand this. Where from comes this idea that Nintendo need to save announcements for E3? This year E3 was no longer important for Nintendo. It's a console launch, they really need to kick it out of the park. It comes after two failed launches. It's their first live conference after the terrible E3 2012. Nintendo has a lot to prove and needs to make Switch a success. Only after that it can worry about E3.

And I surely hope it has games to show at E3 without holding back on the first 9 months of Switch after the long break they took from Wii U.
I think these expectations are too high but let's wait and see. I also don't feel like they need to kick it out of the park on January 12 per se.

Just show off the console, how it works , what the user interface looks like, show Amiibo integration, the IR sensor, online infrastructure and such. Then showcase Breath of the Wild, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon and maybe Pikmin , and then let the third parties get the scene with their own games and collaborations with Nintendo.

They'll probably even demonstrate an e-sport match in Splatoon on stage.

I do hope Nintendo hits it outside the park, as the more titles they present, the more confidence consumers will have in the product, which will then drive hardware sales.

Priority Number 1 for Nintendo this year is not so much releasing games but getting the Switch into people's hands.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
God the good Switch news just keeps coming. Finally gonna get around to playing one of the biggest Wii U games I never got around to playing. LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER HYPE BABY!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I do hope Nintendo hits it outside the park, as the more titles they present, the more confidence consumers will have in the product, which will then drive hardware sales.

Priority Number 1 for Nintendo this year is not so much releasing games but getting the Switch into people's hands.

Exactly. This is not the time to play the "we'll have so many surprises later this year" game. Not after the 3ds and Wii U launches. They need to show that they will have a good flow of monthly games for a reasonable period of time.

If they show just 4-6 games out of which more than half are Wii U games and then they call it a day, then I'm afraid that the media and the markey won't be kind to them.

LordKano

Exactly. This is not the time to play the "we'll have so many surprises later this year" game. Not after the 3ds and Wii U launches. They need to show that they will have a good flow of monthly games for a reasonable period of time.

If they show just 4-6 games out of which more than half are Wii U games and then they call it a day, then I'm afraid that the media and the markey won't be kind to them.

The simple fact that they hold a huge press conference, with two days of hands-on there, is enough proof that they will show a lot of things.

sinxtanx

I just got scheduled to teach a class on Jan 12th which probably means I'll be tied up during the Switch event. Fuck fuck shit. I assume pre-orders will go live immediately after/during the event. If this prevents me from getting one I'm going to throw a fit.

Depending on where you look, you may be able to pre-order the Switch right now.

I know 'cause I sure have mine (and Zelda) pre-ordered. Not taking chances.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Then showcase Breath of the Wild, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon and maybe Pikmin , and then let the third parties get the scene with their own games and collaborations with Nintendo.

So what you're saying is that Switch has only 1 maybe 2 exclusives and 3 Wii U ports as 1st party games until holidays and maybe even until 2018.

Question, does anyone know if Amazon does launch day delivery for new consoles? I've been pretty fortunate getting games on launch day from them but I don't think I've ever preordered a console on Amazon.

It's almost like they've resurrected SpaceWorld, to be honest. Feels the same. I know I'm definitely taking that Thursday and Friday off, just to watch from home (and to be ready when preorders open).

50 days..

It does feel like they're positioning it to be a mini-E3, as it will be lasting 2-3 days.

I'm going to be on a damn cruise during the event (first world problem galore) so I doubt I'll be able to pre-order... might just get my brother to do it for me.

The rumor was that the NX would "work with PS4 and Smartphones."

In theory, there's no reason why Switch shouldn't be able to:

- Be a screen for streaming PlayStation content (PS Vue, PS Now, Remote Play). People will say "but competition" but every single one of these services depends on you paying Sony, either for a service subscription or for a PS4+games.
- Sync data with/tether to the data connection of/stream content to a smartphone.

maxcriden

In addition to what sinxtanx wrote, I'd also day its unlikely your local physical stores will only take preorders at that time. I imagine you will be able o go to them in person sometime after or the day after the event to preorders.

First six months IIRC, like all the Wii U ports.

Very interesting, thank you!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No, that is not what I'm saying.

I know. But that's what media will say going with your scenario. I can already see the Polygon article. And that Forbes contributor. And the articles about Nintendo shares going down after lukewarm presentation. I think you don't understand the stakes at play.

Okay, I'm going to take another whack at an unofficial question of the day (sorry if I preempt you by 5 minutes again Heath!):

Does the portability of the Switch make you more likely to buy multiplats on the Switch, rather than PS4/XB1/PC even if those games will be downgraded visually or performance-wise? If not, would exclusive Nintendo content and features such as motion control and Streetpass make you more likely to buy those multiplats on the Switch?

Interfectum

Does the portability of the Switch make you more likely to buy multiplats on the Switch, rather than PS4/XB1/PC even if those games will be downgraded visually or performance-wise?

Maybe. First thing I'd probably do is double dip. I already own Rocket League and Overwatch on PS4 but I'd totally repurchase on Switch for portability.

For brand new games it would depend on how much of a graphical / framerate sacrifice I'm making for the sake of being able to take the game with me. Meta shit like trophies/achievements/friends may come into play as well.

Peltz

Okay, I'm going to take another whack at an unofficial question of the day (sorry if I preempt you by 5 minutes again Heath!):

Does the portability of the Switch make you more likely to buy multiplats on the Switch, rather than PS4/XB1/PC even if those games will be downgraded visually or performance-wise? If not, would exclusive Nintendo content and features such as motion control and Streetpass make you more likely to buy those multiplats on the Switch?

It might make me double dip if I really really loved the game... but I'd prefer to play it with all the graphical bells and whistles first on a stronger platform. Exclusive Nintendo content/features would only tip the scale if the game looked identical on all platforms (I.e. Shovel Knight on 3DS using the 3D, or Rayman Legends using the Wii U gamepad for certain sections).

It really depends on the game. Would I play something like Mass Effect on the Switch, when I could be playing it on my PC? Probably not.

But something like Injustice 2, which would be a great portable time-waster, I'd definitely consider picking up on the Switch.

Zedark

It kinda depends on the graphical process of the game. AN RPG factory title will be scooped for the Switch, as well as a potential persona 5 port and Yooka-Laylee, but the big releases I will likely get first on my PS4 and maybe later consider them on the Switch for the portability factor (I don't know, if Switch can produce acceptable graphical levels for me on the biggest games, then I will scoop them on the Switch instead of PS4).

Pachimari

I know. But that's what media will say going with your scenario. I can already see the Polygon article. And that Forbes contributor. And the articles about Nintendo shares going down after lukewarm presentation. I think you don't understand the stakes at play.
Dude, I've been in this game for a long ass while and I know there will be a lot of uncertainty if their launch fail but it's not the doom or gloom you make it out to be.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Dude, I've been in this game for a long ass while and I know there will be a lot of uncertainty if their launch fail but it's not the doom or gloom you make it out to be.

What doom? I'm talking about Switch and perception.

Edit: and I guess that you missed a bit the Wii U launch in your long game, because this is exactly what happened with the media coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom