• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm going to take another whack at an unofficial question of the day (sorry if I preempt you by 5 minutes again Heath!):

Does the portability of the Switch make you more likely to buy multiplats on the Switch, rather than PS4/XB1/PC even if those games will be downgraded visually or performance-wise? If not, would exclusive Nintendo content and features such as motion control and Streetpass make you more likely to buy those multiplats on the Switch?

It absolutely does for me. I have some physical health problems and prefer to spend as much time as possible on my back basically, so I prefer handhelds because I can use them in bed or while laying down on the couch.
Being able to have those same games on the tv when I feel up to it is a nice bonus.`

I just sold my ps4 to my sister for her kid's birthday, thinking I'd get a ps4 pro if I add some extra money on top of it... but I'm honestly thinking about using the funds to get the Switch instead.

All we need now is a DKC:TF port announcement and we can officially close the book on the Wii U.
Mario 3D World though.

Just realised it has been just over a month since the reveal trailer. How quick/long as that gone for you guys? Just a month and a couple of weeks to go now !

Makes sense to release one of their biggest upcoming games a couple of months after the release of the system.
Especially if that rumor about the next 3D Mario being a launch title is true. That way the people who buy the system day one already have something big to look forward to.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Laura said:
Xenoblade X port is not being developed by Monolith, they're working on something new ground up for Switch. 2018 earliest. Not launch year.
Port is being handled by an external porting agency.

So I guess Tantalus? They did a decent job with TP HD.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I like the June release. Not that much longer too wait after all.

everybody knows my scepticism about the Switch up to now, but I agree.
if at launch there will be interesting brand new games (like 3D Mario, for example, but hopefully others), I'd be ok with a June release for Zelda.

The Wii first 12 months, for example, didn't have many releases at the same time, but (to me) a very good pace with various titles spread over the months

Nintendo finally blacklisted Laura. I wonder if they'll do anything against Eurogamer.

Tantalus doing the XCX port makes sense. That's one game. They said they're doing multiple games. I wonder which of these other ports they would do.

oti

Banned
That's a long time between March and June though. 😢

So Mario, Mario Rabbids RPG, Splatoon, Lego City, Mario Kart (?) and hopefully Dragon Quest Builders will have to fill that gap for me then.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo finally blacklisted Laura. I wonder if they'll do anything against Eurogamer.

You sound happy about this.

That's a long time between March and June though. ��

So Mario, Mario Rabbids RPG, Splatoon, Lego City, Mario Kart (?) and hopefully Dragon Quest Builders will have to fill that gap for me then.

There's even a longer time between March and September-November. June is OK, if it misses the launch.

Tantalus doing the XCX port makes sense. That's one game. They said they're doing multiple games. I wonder which of these other ports they would do.

You sound...happy about that?

Edit: sup KingSnake

Not saying I'm happy, but it was expected. I was thinking for awhile if they would do something. Like she said it's just her. Everyvody else from LPVG is fine.

That's a long time between March and June though. 😢

I'll take DQXI.

oti

Banned
There's even a longer time between March and September-November. June is OK, if it misses the launch.

I'd be ok if Zelda was the holiday game 2017. It would suck royally but it does fit the holiday game spot better than pretty much anything else they could offer (besides Pokémon Starts maybe) and looking forward to it during Christmas time sounds great. Knowing it's close to launch but not that close sounds worse to me.

I'll survive though.

ramparter

Banned
Just realised it has been just over a month since the reveal trailer. How quick/long as that gone for you guys? Just a month and a couple of weeks to go now !
Lot of things going on with holidays coming, it's gone very quick and it will be even quicker to January 12. The "difficult" part will be after the event.

I don't get the "if Zelda isn't at launch it must be a holiday game". No, it doesn't have to be.

Nintendo clearly had and has a plan. BotW was going to be close to launch along with 3D Mario, which means they clearly have a plan for big games for holiday 2017.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Zelda BotW launching in June will help tremendously in keeping the sales momentum for Switch post-launch up until the holidays sales start to kick in. I hope this release date is true, becasue it's almost perfect from this point of view.

ggx2ac

June 16th is also the release date Target had a few days ago.

Oh, I forgot.

Not surprised it was releasing within launch window and not holidays. It was mentioned by LPVG(?) how there was only difficulties with localisation to make sure the game is bug free.

I think June 16th is the same week as E3? So it'd release at the end of the week. Don't know if that means Nintendo dedicates a whole E3 to it again.

Zelda BotW launching in June will help tremendously in keeping the sales momentum for Switch post-launch up until the holidays sales start to kick in. I hope this release date is true, becasue it's almost perfect from this point of view.
Yeah, this works out great for Nintendo

Mario/Splatoon at launch

Zelda/Mario Kart summer

Smash/Pokémon fall

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
First the GAME price rumour and now the UK release for BotW.

Clearly the leak is coming from Easter Island.

Oh, I forgot.

Not surprised it was releasing within launch window and not holidays. It was mentioned by LPVG(?) how there was only difficulties with localisation to make sure the game is bug free.

I think June 16th is the same week as E3? So it'd release at the end of the week. Don't know if that means Nintendo dedicates a whole E3 to it again.

If anything it being so close helps them avoid talking about it at e3 at all. They'll start showing it off and building up the hype train way before. Probably won't have anything new that doesn't literally spoil the entire game by then. I'd argue we've already seen too much of the game already lol

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I'm going to take another whack at an unofficial question of the day (sorry if I preempt you by 5 minutes again Heath!):

Does the portability of the Switch make you more likely to buy multiplats on the Switch, rather than PS4/XB1/PC even if those games will be downgraded visually or performance-wise? If not, would exclusive Nintendo content and features such as motion control and Streetpass make you more likely to buy those multiplats on the Switch?

No to both.

I don't care about portability as I just have no interest in gaming in the go and have a game room/mancave that I can game in anytime I want.

I have a hard time imagining any exclusive content being worth the downgrade from PC or playing online with my non-Nintendo fan friends for online games. I dislike motion controls as well.

So Switch will just be a Nintendo and the odd Japanese game from another developer platform for me.

Wouldn't pre-E3 make more sense though? Maybe late May (assuming it is possible to release then), or earlier in June?

That would keep up the momentum and then E3 can provide another little boost assuming they have a few big new games to announce.

If it's simply not going to be ready until June 16th that's another story, but that's a bit of a specific date at this point.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It will be on game by game basis. I would rather get those 3rd party games that are a big time consumer for me. Like Skyrim for example. Because it takes me roughly 40 minutes to work, that would be a great use of that time. I also fly quite often, so that would also be a great use for Switch.

Another candidate for playing on Switch would be Fifa, or any sport game.

The 3rd party games that I play out of curiosity or just because there is some fire sale I will still get on the PC.

Hummm, just found this from the GameStop report yesterday:

3160662-1.jpg

Source

Assuming this is calendar year quarters (I can't imagine what else it would be) then this is indicating that Zelda will be out before the end of March, right? Could just be placeholder info, but it's strange that GameStop would more or less be assigning a date to Zelda when Nintendo has only officially said 2017...

Edit: I say calendar year because it has Black Friday and Christmas in Q4 '16.

Zedark

Hummm, just found this from the GameStop report yesterday:

Source

Assuming this is calendar year quarters (I can't imagine what else it would be) then this is indicating that Zelda will be out before the end of March, right? Could just be placeholder info, but it's strange that GameStop would more or less be assigning a date to Zelda when Nintendo has only officially said 2017...

It could be fiscal years. They often lag one quarter behind the calendar year, so Q1 2017 would translate to Q2 2017 on the calendar. Still interesting, as it suggests Laura is correct with her report.

Edit: never mind, I neglected the rest of the image. Who knows at this point. They could be making educatie guesses like we did that Zelda would be launch, or they may be in the know.

Pachimari

I would be fine with Breath of the Wild releasing on June 16. I mean, I probably won't even have completed the 3D Mario game before then. It seems to spread out the releases nicely. I'll have Splatoon and Mario for launch, Zelda for Summer and Pokémon Stars for Fall. I really don't need any more games for Nintendo Switch for that first year. Of course Smash Bros and Mario Kart will be nice bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom