• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Okay, I'm going to take another whack at an unofficial question of the day (sorry if I preempt you by 5 minutes again Heath!):

Does the portability of the Switch make you more likely to buy multiplats on the Switch, rather than PS4/XB1/PC even if those games will be downgraded visually or performance-wise? If not, would exclusive Nintendo content and features such as motion control and Streetpass make you more likely to buy those multiplats on the Switch?
Of course. Portability is why I own more Vita games than I do for any other gaming platform. I got more enjoyment from Need for Speed Most Wanted Vita and Mortal Kombat Vita than the PS3 versions. Visuals are of little importance to me and as long as the performance isn't particularly horrible, I totally value portability over what PS4 or PC versions of games would offer in comparison.

Does anybody think that those who bought the Wii U should be be guaranteed a chance to preorder the switch. There's only like dozens of us and that would be really cool of them. Am I too entitled or just bitter about the mini NES hmmmm. I do like that Nintendo gave out demo codes to platinum club Nintendo members though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Those of us that bought the Wii U should automatically get in to the ambassador program and get to download a bunch of virtual console games for free at launch.

Okay, I'm going to take another whack at an unofficial question of the day (sorry if I preempt you by 5 minutes again Heath!):

Does the portability of the Switch make you more likely to buy multiplats on the Switch, rather than PS4/XB1/PC even if those games will be downgraded visually or performance-wise? If not, would exclusive Nintendo content and features such as motion control and Streetpass make you more likely to buy those multiplats on the Switch?

Probably not. I'm not a fan of taking non-clamshell portables out with me as a handheld, and so the portable option actually isn't a bonus for me, because I'd rather use my TV if i'm at home.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Made a few mock-up packshots for games I'd like to see on Switch. Nothing special, just for fun.

tekken7_switchz8um9.png

battlepod_switchjsu5l.png

andromeda_switchxqup4.png

rediuxd.png

I figured a horizontal pack could be a nice change. Not since Nintendo 64 has Nintendo used horizontal boxes I believe. It's of course a shelf space issue, but still.

All these games apart from Star Wars: Battle Pod perhaps I think have a fair chance of being released for Nintendo Switch.

As an answer to my own question, I would buy pretty much all of my multiplats on the Switch, though I don't typically buy many anyway (for my gaming laptop, don't have PS4/XB1). Even with the Wii U I just feel like it's such a hassle nowadays to deal with setting it up on the TV, which is why I primarily do off-TV play. A full console based around off-TV play for full console games is like my dream.

Does anybody think that those who bought the Wii U should be be guaranteed a chance to preorder the switch. There's only like dozens of us and that would be really cool of them. Am I too entitled or just bitter about the mini NES hmmmm. I do like that Nintendo gave out demo codes to platinum club Nintendo members though.

Those of us that bought the Wii U should automatically get in to the ambassador program and get to download a bunch of virtual console games for free at launch.

Either of these would be very nice, and I wouldn't be surprised to see something along those lines happen for Wii U owners. They would have information on all NNID's that are linked to Wii U's right? If so there should be no problem giving out some sort of "ambassador reward" to those transferring their NNID to a Switch.

I guess the question is will they.

Malus

No to both, with the exception possibly being shooters if only Nintendo supports gyro or IR options.

The main scenario where I can see myself buying a multiplat on Switch is if it's an online game, assuming Nintendo continues having free online services.

I've ignored PS4/Xbone as PC fills enough of a similar need for me. The portability makes me far more likely to get a game on Switch than a plain home console, but it's still not a certain thing, since there are just things a PC version might do that Switch can't come near. In a way 3DS helped push me to PC gaming where I could force most other games to play in 3D, and now that's something PC games will generally have over Switch. I've also got a Rift. So Fallout 4 is an example where I can imagine a year from now I'll be stuck wondering whether I should go for portable or VR version.

I'll buy third-party games on Switch if they're there at the time I'm ready to buy those games for the convenience of being able to play them anywhere. (Yooka-Laylee, Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age, Kingdom Hearts III)

I'll double dip on multiplatform games already in my library if they appear on Switch for the sake of playing them on a portable screen. (Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5, Skyrim, BioShock Collection)

I'll buy most Nintendo games
that I enjoyed enough to warrant whatever Nintendo ends up charging
again, too.

Rösti;225283052 said:
Made a few mock-up packshots for games I'd like to see on Switch. Nothing special, just for fun.

tekken7_switchz8um9.png

rediuxd.png

I figured a horizontal pack could be a nice change. Not since Nintendo 64 has Nintendo used horizontal boxes I believe. It's of course a shelf space issue, but still.

All these games apart from Star Wars: Battle Pod perhaps I think have a fair chance of being released for Nintendo Switch.

Some great choices and I love the design of the boxarts. Certain assets like the amiibo logo look a bit odd but it looks wonderful as a whole. Love the look of Mass Effect in particular.

javadoze

NeoGAF, I have a fan that want me to ask you this question. Thanks, Jonno394.

Een0szx.png

What Nintendo franchise would you like to see get a new spin off and what genre would it be?
One more I wanted to add to this:
Splatoon Extreme Sports
Kinda like a Jet Set Radio or Tony Hawk spinoff, but with Splatoon. The focus on marking territory with ink can still be there as well (almost like Tony Hawk's Graffiti mode).

The former depends if it has solid performance. The latter could change my mind, though (like a shooter that has gyro functionality added in).

Genio88

It really depends on the game. Would I play something like Mass Effect on the Switch, when I could be playing it on my PC? Probably not.

But something like Injustice 2, which would be a great portable time-waster, I'd definitely consider picking up on the Switch.
I've got a gaming PC with GTX 980 but if Andromeda was avaikable on Switch even at 720p that would be the version i'd buy, being able to play it everywhere woukd be great and pretty usefull in such a big and long game.

i'd get the switch version of fighting games without hesitation.

shooters would be a lock if gyro or IR aiming exist. even in cases where my friends wanted to play on pc, i'd probably still double-dip for my fun controls.

other stuff will wind up a 50/50 war between the ease of digital sales on PC and my love of playing in the handheld form factor.

Rösti;225283052 said:

tekken7_switchz8um9.png

rediuxd.png

Love this. They are like modern N64 boxes :O

I'm guessing Laura isn't going to stop with the rumors? Atleast Emily said she's done and wants there to be surprises at the event. I wished Laura would do the same, but well...

DMONKUMA

Being able to play almost anywhere and at any time is something I'd really love. I could imagine myself double dipping if I wanted to play a game on PC at better quality and framerate.

But man, if you gave me a scenario of playing Armored Core, Bayonetta 3, or anytype of Japanese action game on the Switch or PC.....I'd pick the switch in a heartbeat for portability.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm guessing Laura isn't going to stop with the rumors? Atleast Emily said she's done and wants there to be surprises at the event. I wished Laura would do the same, but well...

Did she say she's going to keep on posting stuff?

because of carts and small internal storage I won't be going digital as much as I did for WiiU but I still think I'll be getting my most played games from the eShop

kunonabi

The portability and streetpass would not be factors for me since I don't find that the device suits my needs as a portable.

Motion Controls would move me towards Switch versions but considering how third-parties approached the Wii and especially the Wii U I don't see them putting in the time to have such controls available on the Switch in any consistent or well-implemented fashion. I do prefer split controllers to a standard gamepad even without motion but the lack of a dpad on the joycon and the improvement in the DS4 design makes for a much smaller gulf in comfort than the GC/PS2 and Wii U/PS4 days.

The PS4 will be my multiplat console now that the Wii U is dead in all likelihood.

DMONKUMA

She never said she would stop like Emily as far as I've seen. I don't want Retros game to be found out lol.

If she shares some more details I imagine she would be somewhat constraint on what she's does "leak". Her and Emily have to leave some surprises...right?

There's probably some surprises at the January conference that they both don't even know about as well, but that could be slim however.

NeoGAF, I have a fan that want me to ask you this question. Thanks, Jonno394.

Een0szx.png

What Nintendo franchise would you like to see get a new spin off and what genre would it be?
I'm gonna go with a Super Mario Bros. spin-off called Super Mario Bros. Plumbing Service. This would take place in Mario and Luigi's world, not the Mushroom Kingdom. The game would be an open world game (somewhat) where Mario and Luigi get calls from customers with plumbing problems. They race to the location in a MK Double Dash-like vehicle in a mode like Crazy Taxi. They get to the customer's location, and they deal with the problem with accessories like FLUDD or the Poltergust 3000 (or items with those properties). It would turn out that Bowser is trying to invade the real world through the pipes in Mario/Luigi's city.

Weird game, isn't it?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
She never said she would stop like Emily as far as I've seen. I don't want Retros game to be found out lol.

Ah well, I thought she clearly said there would've been more in the future. It's not sure she will continue, then.

P.S. I have to admit that I like Rosti's mock-ups, the red label looks good. I think it would be even better if it were slightly thinner, in order to make it look more elegant. And the mock-ups make me wonder again how the real Switch pachislots will look like :p

If the multiplat is not coming to PC and there isn't too much of a downgrade compared to the PS4/Xbone counterparts, yeah, I'd probably buy in the switch for the portability factor.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Alright, I'm going to accept this question as Official Question of the Day since some people already answered that and I don't really want to risk two questions per day because it would be best way to run out of questions before we reach our goal in 50 days.

If anyone want to submit the questions to be used for Question of the Day, please PM me the questions and I would consider it because I already have some questions ready so I'm trying my best to make sure that we would have question for every day! I'm not sure about holidays tho.

Alright, I'm going to accept this question as Official Question of the Day since some people already answered that and I don't really want to risk two questions per day because it would be best way to run out of questions before we reach our goal in 50 days.

If anyone want to submit the questions to be used for Question of the Day, please PM me the questions and I would consider it because I already have some questions ready so I'm trying my best to make sure that we would have question for every day! I'm not sure about holidays tho.

Sorry again about that! It was very much on my mind due to the Todd Howard interview yesterday and I couldn't think of a better way to ask it. I'll definitely shoot you a PM next time!

boiled goose

good with gravy
None DVD sized cases and cartridges does excite me for some reason.

Dat new console feel that WiiU was lacking do to being so similar to the Wii.

Peltz

Rösti;225283052 said:

tekken7_switchz8um9.png

rediuxd.png

Serious North American N64 vibes.

I think portability adds value to the Switch ports. On Wii U it was "the worst way to play the game" on Switch it's "the worst performing port (resolution/frame rate) but portable"
On a small screen the resolution and visual downgrades shouldn't be too noticeable and being portable should appeal to quite a bit of people.

Depends on the game, I appreciate portability in some genres yeah, specially stuff that I'd play longer so I'd love to be able to lie down and play somewhere comfy.

Azriell

My only concern is the the form factor makes games less enjoyable to play. For example, if the sticks stuck, or if it makes my hand cramp. If it feels good in my hands, I can definitely see myself buying most multi-platform games on Switch, outside of digital sales and MP games.

Portability does not matter for me so that won't be the reason I'll buy on Switch.

I have a PS4 but I think I'll buy a lot of 3rd party games on Switch starting with Skyrim the reason I am doing this is because my purchase matters more to help Switch get more ports in the future than a sale on PS4 would matter to anyone. I'll do that at least for the first 18 months to see if it helps at all. If 3rd parties stop supporting the platform anyway I'll have my PS4.

The second reason is because I have a PS4 and not a PS4 Pro it really does not matter if Switch has lower graphics since my PS4 is no longer the top dog anyway so if I was shopping for best graphics I would need a PSPro or Scorpio and a 4K TV. In a way the whole Pro/Scorpio thing helps me take a second look at the Switch.

Future dreams = What if instead of buying a new console I buy a new dock in 2018 to upgrade the Switch when docked?

That is a very good question. If the game that maintain good performance and visuals, the Switch may stand up pretty well with ports. Due to its form factor, I would hope that most wouldn't expect the Switch to run games with the resolution and/or graphical settings as the other systems anyway. The major factor will be the quality of the ports.

MAtgS

On general principal yes, but in reality it'll be decided case-by-case. Multi-plat games I bought on Wii U typically didn't had any of the DLC of the other versions or had major performance issues. Skyrim I just got on XB1 & not so interested in buying yet another copy, especially if it has no mods.

Jerm411

It absolutely does....as someone who travels a ton for work this is the ideal system for me, something I can take on the go and play quality games anywhere.

Not to mention...with a wife and young daughter, I don't get a lot of game time in so if I can play while my wife watches DVR'd shows or something like that, of course it'd be worth it.

No hyperbole at all...the Switch is a legit dream console for me, it's something I've always wanted and I can't believe it's actually happening.

For me it would depend on what kind of game first, and then how much of a downgrade visually/performance-wise it is.

The LEGO City port they announced I'll definitely get on the Switch since I'm sure it will run perfectly fine and a handheld format is great for LEGO games. I'll probably get most of the LEGO games since I'm sure they'll all come to the Switch. Hopefully LEGO Dimensions comes out too, but I'm not sure how well that would work portabley, since you'd need the figures and the base station (maybe you could save 5-6 when you take it off the base station).

Stuff like Mass Effect Andromeda or other big flashy games (assuming many of them get Switch ports), I think I'll probably still stick with the PC version since if those types of games get Switch ports I'm guessing they'll be downgraded graphically in a lot of areas (lighting, textures, details, framerate, etc.).

But certain games I don't mind graphical downgrades (within reason). I'll probably buy Skyrim day one, even thought I was originally planning on waiting to get VR on PC and play it that way (but that's too expensive and not officially optimized yet).

Other games I'd buy on Switch:
-Borderlands Collection/Borderlands 3
-Fallout 4
-Diablo 3
-The Crew (and 3rd party racing games in general, 360/PS3 generation and up racing games all look pretty good to me, it's all about how they play.)

Andyliini

Now that Castlevania is pretty much dormant, I would gladly take Castlevania Mega Collection on Switch, the Handheld/TV -combo could easily house both Home- and Handheld games. Also I want C64, IBM and Amiga ports of the NES-game as unlockables. I wouldn't mind emulated Pachi-Slot game either.

I think that some driving games could be great on Switch. Would really like some arcade car game, like Burnout.

I'll most likely buy 3rd person games for Switch, don't like to play them on PC. Feels weird, and I actually don't like 3rd person games so much anyway. Some, like LoZ are given, but I hate AC and those Batman games etc. Not just my thing at all.

I don't care that much about visual stuff, if I want to get some nom nom visuals, I buy stuff for my PC and it's getting old so the game's wouldn't look that hot anyway. Oh, and I stopped using Steam permanently, so only Origin or GOG games for me (UPlay doesn't work for me, and Ubi games I don't like usually). So that's one of the biggest reasons to buy games for Switch.

Sports I'll buy for Switch, if they come there, PC versions usually suck, even though FIFA is at least almost on par with it's console brothers. It would be nice to try PES or something for once. Really hoping a Nintendo World Cup game...

But, like always, I will jugde them game by game basis. Some are better played on console, some (FPS most notably) on PC. But I will try to support 3rd parties on Switch as much as possible, IF AND ONLY IF they make it worthwhile. And if I actually like the games, I don't want to buy games that I'll never play but that's given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom