• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
setting up my Switch for the first time I think I lost my micro SD already

I knew I put it around the house somewhere waiting for launch but finally ready and I can't find the thing lol

I wonder if some other folk are dealing with this, but I noticed my Switch gets quite warm when its docked. Does anyone else deal with the same thing?

That screen scratching thread is long as fuck. Does anyone have a read on how many people are actually effected? Is it just a case of hundreds of people being paranoid from one anomaly, or is is actually recurring?

Mainly chatting about screen protectors and people who don't own switch gloating about how they're glad they didn't get one.

I don't think I've turned my switch off, but one time. Does it turn off after being in sleep mode for an extended time, or should I be turning it off completely more?

Kevin

Did Blaster Master get released into the US store on Switch yet? Does it have Pro controller support?

EDIT: I see it's March 9th. Never mind then.

I'm about to head out and pick up an online order but on my account it says it's already collected so I really hope a staff member didn't do something silly with it.

After picking up a Neon Switch at Best Buy last Friday in which I only intended getting BotW for Wii U I am not a bit closer to deciding whether I want to keep it or not (it's still unopened).

I'm interested in Blaster Master and the Shakedown: Hawaii game but that is seemingly about it until Mario as I'm content with BotW on Wii U.

Someone help me...

Just had a weird issue with my Switch. I was playing Zelda sitting outside on a bench waiting for my wife to pick me up. When I saw the car approaching I tried to put the switch to sleep but pressing the button did nothing. I then tried the home button and nothing happened then either. Same with the screenshot button. However the volume buttons still worked and Zelda was playing fine. I then removed the Zelda cartridge hoping that would trigger something in the OS but nothing happened - Zelda just kept playing fine. In the end I had to hold the power button and the volume down button for about 5-10 seconds and it finally turned off.

Malus

My joycon issues have gone away thankfully after moving some electronics away from it. Currently enjoying getting my ass handed to me in Zelda.

Just played zelda for an hour and took the switch out but noticed its a little warm... Anyone experienced this? Felt weird not hot but... the thing must process a lot I guess

I wonder if some other folk are dealing with this, but I noticed my Switch gets quite warm when its docked. Does anyone else deal with the same thing?

Yup. Pretty sure I had my first "oh please, god no" Switch moment last night. Had it docked playing Zelda on a remote monitor for an hour or so (which isn't the first time I'd done that) using the Pro Controller, when I picked up a new weapon and the info screen for the weapon was up on the monitor, suddenly none of the inputs on the Pro Controller would work. Mind you the controller was still charged and had the light indicating it was still Player 1, so when I went over to the Switch, there was so much air rushing out of the top vent (where you can see the heat syncs) that it was audible. So I pulled the Switch out of the dock and the back of the unit was the hottest I'd ever felt it. So after turning the portable unit ON, the inputs were all working on the unit via the attached joycons and I was able to close the new weapon window that had popped up in game, but there was no sound coming out of the Switch. So I put it to sleep via the top button and left it for an hour or so. When I got back to it, it worked 100%, but after reading and seeing all of the other crazy hardware failures people have been experiencing with their units, it definitely didn't leave me with any confidence in the long or short term for this hardware. : /
Like everyone, loving the unit otherwise.

I'm almost exactly as old as Metroid, but I usually say Zelda instead 👀

Does Voez actually come out today, or is the eShop just slow to update?

benjammin

That screen scratching thread is long as fuck. Does anyone have a read on how many people are actually effected? Is it just a case of hundreds of people being paranoid from one anomaly, or is is actually recurring?
Pretty sure it affects everyone. It's a design defect on the dock itself. Just because some people haven't had their consoles scratched yet doesn't mean it isn't going to happen to them eventually. The console hasn't even been out a week yet, most people simply haven't docked and undocked the unit enough for it to be an issue.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
hopefully we get some surprises tomorrow besides voez and blaster master

could use some of those neo geo games or Pocket Rumble

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
After picking up a Neon Switch at Best Buy last Friday in which I only intended getting BotW for Wii U I am not a bit closer to deciding whether I want to keep it or not (it's still unopened).

I'm interested in Blaster Master and the Shakedown: Hawaii game but that is seemingly about it until Mario as I'm content with BotW on Wii U.

Someone help me...

Remember E3 is right around the corner...

Memles

Someone help me...

From a games perspective, you do not need a Switch. This is true.

The question becomes whether its usability will alter the way you game, and thus your level of interest in titles appearing on the Switch (probably Indie, given your lack of interest in the intervening games in the post-launch period). The Switch does not offer much in terms of games if you already own a Wii U, but the portability factor really is transformative in terms of understanding how/when you can game, and the ability to take console-level experiences easily on the go. If that's something that you don't think will really apply to your life, it's worth waiting for more software/a bundle/etc. However, if you do feel like there are circumstances where the portability opens up new efficiencies in terms of how you play games, I think the Switch might be a worthwhile investment and you might find yourself making reasons to pick up indie titles in the interim. YMMV, of course, but that's my two cents from five days of play.

Firebrand

How's the official carrying case?

Had a Switch+Zelda ordered with 2 weeks delivery time... then I saw the local store had one in stock, I figured what the hell and jumped on it. Alas, they had no Zelda. Only a couple of hours later... a Zelda appears in my mail, ahead of time. It must be a sign.

Kinda sucks that I'll have to leave the dock unused until they figure out the scratching thing, but I'm mainly looking at the Switch as a portable for the home, so it's not a biggie.

Tangeroo

Pretty sure it affects everyone. It's a design defect on the dock itself. Just because some people haven't had their consoles scratched yet doesn't mean it isn't going to happen to them eventually. The console hasn't even been out a week yet, most people simply haven't docked and undocked the unit enough for it to be an issue.

I dock and undock my system multiple times a day, every day since launch. Once in the morning to bring to work. Re-dock when I get home. Undock again to play from bed before going to sleep. Redocking when going to sleep. My device is absolutely pristine with no scratches whatsoever. I get that it's happened to some people and who knows, it may happen to me some day, but I don't believe it's as bad as some people are suggesting. I don't even really look when I dock my Switch. I just slide it down one handed from the right Joycon, and at night, I do it in near absolute darkness.

Bii

Jose from IGN tweeted this image last week that seems to show his Zelda play time. How?
C59UNuDVUAEknab.jpg

Not sure if it's been answered already but your activity can be checked in your profile (only lists the 10 most current games played), and only after a week has gone by after you've first played it.

Yikes! Well that just ain't gonna fly, is it?

How are you guys shelving or displaying your Switch cases? Anything cool or fancy? Don't care that they sink into the shelf space further than DVD/Blu-rays?
This isn't a thing that bothers me with my physical collection, but here's something I saw in a Martha Stewart magazine/show:

Use styrofoam blocks (or equivalent) that you find in the craft stores.

She was showcasing it as a way to tier/stair-step the items on the shelf, without the need for new shelving.

I hope that makes sense, 'cause Martha Stewart I am not. 😜

How's the official carrying case?

Got mine yesterday afternoon, it's pretty good. I put on the screen protector and it fits perfectly. I'm not sure how well it holds up against scratches as I haven't redocked it yet, but I tried out the stand built into the case this morning and I gotta say, it felt really good and was not a hassle in any way. The pics show the joycons in the little pouch, but I feel like that would be a little bulky feeling and just a dumb thing to do lol.

It should be noted that this is very much a carrying case, and does little for protection from drops/weight on top. It's not terrible or anything, but just don't expect something you can just drop the second you get situated in a room. Looks really nice and does what it says. I like it.

DavidDesu

For no particular reason just wanted to share some thoughts..

I liked using the joycons separated for Zelda initially but ended up finding it too fiddly, especially when trying to hit the -/+ buttons you do need to change he your grip somewhat. The gyro controls with the separated right Joycon is marvellous though, I almost wanted camera controls using gyro too.

I then moved onto the grip accessory and actually I find that to be absolutely fine. Comfortable for me and it melts away in the hand. I have pretty small hands for a guy so that might help. It's a really good solution for me personally. I have no compulsion to buy a pro controller anytime soon as a result. Maybe when it loses £20 off the price someday...

The 720p UI when docked is weird and I hope that's fixed too but I do think they should do more than just make it 1080p. It needs to have a custom UI solution for the TV. The icons and text are just far too large and it feels obviously like you're operating a handheld on a TV. Make them smaller and fit a couple more game icons on the screen when docked and it would feel a lot classier and appropriate.

On the train home from visiting my mum and I can't wait to get stuck into Zelda. What a launch game. My first proper Zelda experience and loving it. Yeah I kind of wanted to bring my Switch with me but I don't have a case for it so that was a no go.

antibolo

Banned
HOLY SHIT. Metal Slug 3 has HORRIBLE sound lag. Like more than one second. This is garbage. Can't believe I didn't hear about this.

Has there been any degree of consensus when it comes to screen protectors? Debating between HORI and a glass one on Amazon.

I purchased the $20 crystal clear Hori one from amazon for my daughters Switch. No bubbles, and it's literally crystal clear. I can't believe how clear it is. and it fits perfectly. My daughter never noticed I put a screen protector on.

drotahorror

Got a Pro controller today. The right stick makes a squeeking sound if I push it in a certain direction. Can also feel the sort of feedback the friction is giving it. Hopefully it'll work itself out... It sounds like rubber...rubbing or like someone scrubbing a window with windex.

Lizardus

kind of off topic but I don't want to go into OT due to spoilers but one thing that bugs me in BotW is that if you light a campfire under a shelter in rain, it won't stay on. Just tried this in
Kakariko Village
and it didn't work.

So much attention to detail and this was missed.

On topic, I am loving this thing. It certainly makes the impulse play so much easier when you know you can just pick up the tablet and start playing instead of turning on TV and console etc. No scratch so far from docking and undocking, don't have a screen protector yet.

kind of off topic but I don't want to go into OT due to spoilers but one thing that bugs me in BotW is that if you light a campfire under a shelter in rain, it won't stay on. Just tried this in
Kakariko Village
and it didn't work.

So much attention to detail and this was missed.

...y'know, this happened to me, and my brain just kind of assumed it was from rain being blown in via the wind. Or all the excess water just making the ground in general wet.

I finally picked up my order from yesterday and set it up, first of all here is a photo of it docked behind my xbox one s controller for size:

First impressions - the tablet has more weight then I was expecting but you can feel the quality of the device, the frame feels good and solid sadly let down by the plastic screen when you feel and tap it, it's the one annoying cheap part of the device itself. The neon joycons are BEAUTIFUL in person, they are bold but not ugly and the shade of slightly orange works so well, the blue feels slightly less bright which is a nice contrast. Seeing the joycons on their own side by side really makes them stand out as player 1 and player 2.

Holding the joycons feels a lot better then I expected, they are about the same size as my fire tv remote and the quality of the joycons feel great to me, first thing I did after the initial setup was to test the left stick connection quality in my room and it seems I have a good connection, it worked behind my back from about 5 feet away which is plenty for me, my room is not that huge.

Wireless connection to my router is poor, I have a virgin media superhub V3 in my room behind me and the Switch was showing both 2.4g and 5g connections, but one was 1 bar and the other was changing between 3 and 2 bars, everything else I use wireless like my phone tends to keep a solid signal until I am at least 20 meters away if not more. I can tell you now that if I carry this Switch into my front room it's going to drop to 1 bar or disconnect.

I setup my device through a powerless HDMI switch box along with my fire tv stick, for a while the Switch was stealing the connection when not in use but for the last 20 minutes now it's not tried to do so again, I have HDMI detection off in the Switch settings.

From only an hour or so of messing about with the OS and testing the controllers and joycon grip I have to say the device really does feel good and modern, minus the wifi strengh and possible joycon issues I love this little tablet and I hope it does well for Nintendo, I can't wait to try Zelda on it tonight once I get a few hours to myself.

jts

...hate me...
How I feel when applying a screen protector:

9e2qH.gif

THERE ARE ALWAYS A HANDFUL OF DUST SPECS CREATING BUBBLES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom