• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of the Neo Geo games that released today I see two fighters, which one is recommended? I'd like to try one but I don't know if they're good games in general.

Edit: is three, also World Heroes Perfect.

Which is the most fun? Haha

jxN3

That's what I would do. What I know about cell phones tells me it's a good idea to unplug it when it's done charging. That's what I've been doing with my Note 3 for the past 3 years and the battery hasn't degraded in any noticeable way.
Yeah going to start taking it out then for sure, thanks .

//ARCANUM

anyone else have a right joycon that is wobbly when its connected to the unit?

the left joycon doesn't wobble at all.

There appears to be varying quality control on the joycons. I have 4 and all of them have varying degrees of solidness when connected to the Switch. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Out of the Neo Geo games that released today I see two fighters, which one is recommended? I'd like to try one but I don't know if they're good games in general.

Edit: is three, also World Heroes Perfect.

Which is the most fun? Haha

Waku waku 7 is the most "modern" in that it features ex moves, super moves, bursts, and more advanced combos. It also probably is the best looking and animated. It's also wacky and fast paced.

Kof98 has more characters though and probably more depth. It's a more serious fighter.

RobbieNick

So three times since launch my Switch hasn't recognized my Right Joycon even though it's attached. I have to disconnect it and physically re-sync it with the sync button and then it works fine. Has anyone had this? Does anyone know what causes this? I'm kind of concerned.

Happened to me once too. Not sure what it is.

I finally did it. I broke the bank to get my hands on a switch.

Grey Switch (Neon was out of stock).
- Pro Controller
- Zelda
- Super Bomberman R (Ordered from the UK, will take a week to arrive)
- JoyCon Charge Grip

I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the device, it has a premium feel to it. Even with the dock debacle, the dock looks nice. I got a screen protector fitted at a mobile repair stand at the shopping center (mall).

I have a spare 64GB Samsung MicroSD lying around that was intended for my phone, but never needed it. Just about to crack into Zelda. I should probably preface things by saying that I'm not a Nintendo / Zelda fan, and I even thought Zelda looked like garbage (Graphically) on twitch. Far too much bloom. Bloom of The Wild amirite? It wasn't until I went over to my brothers place and saw how crisp the game looked in person. Two days later...here I am with a Switch.

Veal

Kid Icarus Uprising owners stay winning. Turns out the stand that came with that game makes a fine stand for your switch on the go! In fact, it looks an awful lot like the official Hori stand for the Switch that's on sale now...

sneas78

Banned
A trick I found.

So I bought two switches. The bad news is that you can only have one console activated for that account.. that means to download a game and play it on your second account, you have to deactivate one of them. Well I found something interesting.

I deactivated one switch that I bought the game on, and activated the second switch. Downloaded the game, then deactivated that switch and activated the first switch. What I did not do is close the game in the deactivated switch, and now I can play both games at the same time. If you quit the game on the switch you deactivate it.. then you can't play it anymore! It will ask you to activate it. And as long as you don't quit the game your good. You can go back to the main menu, go into settings but just don't quit the game.

Persona7

Banned
A trick I found.

So I bought two switches. The bad news is that you can only have one console activated for that account.. that means to download a game and play it on your second account, you have to deactivate one of them. Well I found something interesting.

I deactivated one switch that I bought the game on, and activated the second switch. Downloaded the game, then deactivated that switch and activated the first switch. What I did not do is close the game in the deactivated switch, and now I can play both games at the same time. If you quit the game on the switch you deactivate it.. then you can't play it anymore! It will ask you to activate it. And as long as you don't quit the game your good. You can go back to the main menu, go into settings but just don't quit the game.

Reminds me of when I would download demo's from my Wii to my DS but leave the DS in sleep mode all week so I could play the demo at random times.

psyfi

Banned
A trick I found.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was an oversight.

psyfi

Banned
The way you said that, sounds like I'm getting a free game or something. I bought the game. I have 2 switches .. I should be able to play the games I bought on both of them.
I don't care how you use your game. I think Nintendo might, though.

ZOONAMI

There appears to be varying quality control on the joycons. I have 4 and all of them have varying degrees of solidness when connected to the Switch. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

My left joycon was wobbly but it seemed to be a problem with the rail, as the right joycon inserted backwards was also wobbly.

Kickstand was also complete trash. I returned mine.

Spy

A trick I found.

What would happen if you disabled the internet on the Switch that was activated then activated another Switch?

Anim

Finally got my Zelda copy yesterday and it's great so far. However, I worry that there might be something wrong with my Switch. Does it get warm for anyone in handheld mode? I searched the thread and it seems that it's normal for it to get warm in docked mode, but for me it also happens in handheld mode. I also think that for a split second I saw the snow turn purple in the mountains on the Great Plateau, which I fear might be an effect of overheating. I played for 1.5h more and it never happened again, so I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Doesn't it ruin the battery to always leave it charging? I know something like that happens with phones, right?

I've only used the Switch docked and when I'm not playing it's just sitting there in the dock in sleep mode. If everything is charged, and I'm done playing, should I take it out of the dock to keep the battery healthy?

It should be smart about this, and stop charging once it's full (only starting again once it has dropped a little).

And modern batteries aren't damaged by being charged often or whatever. They are rated for X charge cycles, which means a full discharge followed by a full charge OR several smaller charges adding up to the same. It doesn't matter at what level you start charging. Charging from 90 to 100% ten times is the same as completely discharging and fully charging it up.

One thing you should NEVER do is fully discharge it though. That kills the battery. Phones turn off way before the battery is actually discharged, and I would expect the Switch to do the same. The best thing for these batteries is to keep them at something like 80%.

Same.

I'm one of the lucky ones, maybe, but I've had not a single issue. No desyncs, screen is perfect, wifi seems fine, controls are all good, no crashes or glitches, no scratches (but I used a screen protector right out of the box).

Same for me except for the wifi reception which kind of sucks and my joycons not being super rigid when in handheld mode, I can notice them wobble a little bit which bothers me quite a bit but seeing how many issues i don't have I'm afraid of returning the system just to get one that is in worse shape even.

iKhayal18

Would it be great if the Switch supported USB-C headphones and that it was able to send 5.1 channel audio to surround headphones via that type of connector? It would be easy for Nintendo to update the system and allow that and we would be able to enjoy surround audio on the go with headphones such as the Ossic X...

Some rumours say that Apple might leave the Lightning port behind and start using USB-C. That would mean that probably the next EarPods would be USB-C and more USB-C headphones would start appearing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I didn't want to make a new thread in this sea of Switch threads but Nintendo seriously needs to work on the e-shop. If I click on the "upcoming" section, there are 3 games - Mario Kart, Arms and Splatoon. Three.

All of them with a "Relase: TBA". This makes the system look super bad. It's not like they haven't announced a bunch of games. Throw all those indie games in there. Some of them had an April release date, throw them in the e-shop. Hell, throw all of them in there so people who look for upcoming games don't think nothing is coming out.

I guess this might be a regional thing? It still looks super bad when it just doesn't have to.

Rezbit

My right joycon is juuuust not flush, and has some slight wiggle compared to the left. It actually seems to have gotten better since I've "worn it in" but at first it seemed substantially wobbly, now I have to kinda force it. Weird.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Would it be great if the Switch supported USB-C headphones and that it was able to send 5.1 channel audio to surround headphones via that type of connector? It would be easy for Nintendo to update the system and allow that and we would be able to enjoy surround audio on the go with headphones such as the Ossic X...

Some rumours say that Apple might leave the Lightning port behind and start using USB-C. That would mean that probably the next EarPods would be USB-C and more USB-C headphones would start appearing.

It's the USB end of Apple cables that will move to USB-C, not the lightning end.

Crazyorloco

I didn't want to make a new thread in this sea of Switch threads but Nintendo seriously needs to work on the e-shop. If I click on the "upcoming" section, there are 3 games - Mario Kart, Arms and Splatoon. Three.

All of them with a "Relase: TBA". This makes the system look super bad. It's not like they haven't announced a bunch of games. Throw all those indie games in there. Some of them had an April release date, through them in the e-shop. Hell, throw all of them in there so people who look for upcoming games don't think nothing is coming out.

I guess this might be a regional thing? It still looks super bad when it just doesn't have to.

I agree and I can't see the names of the Neo Geo games clearly unless I click on them.

Finally got my Zelda copy yesterday and it's great so far. However, I worry that there might be something wrong with my Switch. Does it get warm for anyone in handheld mode? I searched the thread and it seems that it's normal for it to get warm in docked mode, but for me it also happens in handheld mode. I also think that for a split second I saw the snow turn purple in the mountains on the Great Plateau, which I fear might be an effect of overheating. I played for 1.5h more and it never happened again, so I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
At night I can feel a flow of warm air coming out of the top vent in portable mode but touching the back of the switch felt normal

Chopini

Neo Member

My right joy con wobbly around the bottom so bad it making clicking noise that make me feel it everytime. Left is very tight no wobbly.

It happens right after I force it from wrist strap that somehow too fit and I have to push a lot of force.

Deciding to buy new joy con or pro controller now. The wobble is worst on the grip for me it move and clicking everytime I move the analog stick on the right joy con.

patientx

For whom interested :

Charged the device fully to %100.I enabled airplane mod. Put my switch on my desk and lowered brightness to lowest. Audio %50. Played VOEZ for 2 hours exactly with this settings -it is bright here so no need to rise the brightness, the final battery is read : %75. By this logic it would give me about 7-8 hours of play time.

TL;DR : Fully charged to %75 in two hours with all wireless disabled sound at %50 and touchscreen usage only, playing VOEZ all the time without any brakes.

Kudo

Deciding to buy new joy con or pro controller now. The wobble is worst on the grip for me it move and clicking everytime I move the analog stick on the right joy con.

In my opinion the Pro Controller is the best controller you can buy on the market right now, and I've pretty much had time with them all.

Forkball

My wifi connection is so bad. I've only seen a max of two bars. Almost every download has completely stopped and it takes several attempts. My Wii U and 3DS never had this problem with the same connection.

jxN3

It should be smart about this, and stop charging once it's full (only starting again once it has dropped a little).

And modern batteries aren't damaged by being charged often or whatever. They are rated for X charge cycles, which means a full discharge followed by a full charge OR several smaller charges adding up to the same. It doesn't matter at what level you start charging. Charging from 90 to 100% ten times is the same as completely discharging and fully charging it up.

One thing you should NEVER do is fully discharge it though. That kills the battery. Phones turn off way before the battery is actually discharged, and I would expect the Switch to do the same. The best thing for these batteries is to keep them at something like 80%.
Oh interesting.. good stuff, never knew that about letting it die.

Yeah I hoped a device made in 2017 would be smart enough to stop charging once it fully charges..

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I do hope we hear something about the Joycon issue fix soon. I sit quite close to my system (less than two metres) but can still be hit by the occasional 'left stick keeps sending a signal despite you letting go of it' error when I adjust my position. (I use the joycons without the grip so my arms can be in a variety of positions)

Well I do hope we hear something about the Joycon issue fix soon. I sit quite close to my system (less than two metres) but can still be hit by the occasional 'left stick keeps sending a signal despite you letting go of it' error when I adjust my position. (I use the joycons without the grip so my arms can be in a variety of positions)
Same.

I'm assuming it is a hardware issue tho. Would be nice if they would send out replacements but I guess that's unrealistic.

Loving the Switch so far, but had to send mine off to Nintendo for repair this morning. The left speaker on the console has a distorted sound as of last night. Happened out if nowhere. Anyone else have this issue?

After a week, I finally took my Switch to work and manage to play some Zelda before work (at the McDonald's by work...coffee and take public transit so earlier, the better). Few thoughts and feedback on a somethings.

First, Public wifi works. Manage to connect to the mcdonalds public wifi and see if I can connect to the e-shop, approve friend requests, etc). I couldn't do this with my 3ds so I was expected it not to work. But it does and I cannot wait to play some MP mario kart before work in late April. Can't wait.

Second, Headphone port is perfect. Heard reports of hissing, interference or whatever when using headphones while playing. Had no issues and everything was clear. I was using my 2 or 3 year old Bose headphones though.

Next, kickstand. It's ok but was it was a bit more sturdier and more options for angles you can set it at (or have options for it that is). Not a big deal though.

Joy-cons...Left joy-con seems to have no issues when disconnected from the switch and playing, which is good news. Played Zelda and didn't have any disconnect issues with either joy-cons, which is great to see. Bear in mind, I was using the joy-con grip and wasn't that far away. Speaking of the joy-con grip, I don't see the issue with it. It felt good playing Zelda with it and I don't mind that it doesn't charge the joy-cons; just makes it easier & light to pack. If their was any con's about the joy-con grip, is that the - button is a bit cumbersome to press, not definitely not a deal breaker. However, I definitely recommend buying the pro controller for home and playing on your TV.

Just only been a week and I absolutely love my Nintendo switch and cannot wait for more games to come out. Hell, I'm buying games on this thing that I would never normally buy, like blaster master zero (which I highly recommend).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom