• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoweee

So, my dock turned off and the light started flashing green until I unplugged it. Waiting and plugging it back in worked.

Uh... what? That's weird. Very weird.

JimPanzer

with my Degauss Labs Howl headphones (incredible in-ears btw) I can hear hissing during the load screens, it's not very loud though

I've played extensively. Haven't had the joycon issue yet. I'm trying to think of issues, but I think the only thing I've come across is frame rate drops when the system has 1% battery, but everything I own does that.

Edit: oh I guess another issue I've had is the fact that mobile hot spots don't work, which is an absolute shame. They didn't work on the Vita, either, but I assumed with it being 2017 Nintendo would've figured something out. Super bummed about that.

Thanks guys. I'll try to play as much as I can over the weekend and see if any issues pop up.

To be specific my Switch gets warm on the middle-right of the back side when playing on portable mode. The vents are fine but the back part gets warm, kind of like how a cell phone warms up when playing a big mobile game.

Anim

To be specific my Switch gets warm on the middle-right of the back side when playing on portable mode. The vents are fine but the back part gets warm, kind of like how a cell phone warms up when playing a big mobile game.

Gotcha. It's exactly the same for me. I guess you can't escape from it with high-end mobile hardware. I just hope it doesn't overheat to an extend that would cause issues in games.

Is it ok to leave the switch docked at all times? I would hope it would know to stop charging at a certain point as to not kill the battery but.. does anyone know for sure?

Question regarding the Switch and old Wii U capabilities...

When the Switch is docked, is it possible for its screen to display one thing while simultaneously displaying something else on the big screen for the second player? Anyone who owned a Wii U will know what I'm asking here. Essentially, is it technically possible to play a game like Mario Chase (from Nintendo Land) or Hyrule Warriors on the Switch with the docked console facing player one, and a separate display on the television screen for player 2?

Chorazin

When the Switch is docked, is it possible for its screen to display one thing while simultaneously displaying something else on the big screen for the second player? Anyone who owned a Wii U will know what I'm asking here. Essentially, is it technically possible to play a game like Mario Chase (from Nintendo Land) or Hyrule Warriors on the Switch with the docked console facing player one, and a separate display on the television screen for player 2?

Nope.

Krakatoa

Is it ok to leave the switch docked at all times? I would hope it would know to stop charging at a certain point as to not kill the battery but.. does anyone know for sure?

My Switch has been docked since purchase. So I'd hope Nintendo is smart enough to have some kind of smart charge built in.

peakish

While I love how the console feels in my hands I right now kind of agree with USGamer's take on the dock. It feels like an afterthought even though it's one of the system's main selling points. The console isn't secured in it, it just sits there loosely and rattles when you put it in or pull it out. Then there's the scratching issues some people have.

I like the docked experience itself but the physical dock is crap. Charging $90 for it is insane. If Nintendo plans to continue with the Switch concept by updating the tablet every 2-3 years (I hope they do) I feel like they need to put in the effort of creating a better dock.

Besides the dock though I really love the system. Even though it's (right now) very bare bones for features and games it's exactly what I wanted. Switching from playing on my big monitor to grabbing it to continue playing anywhere else feels so good. It's very likely that I'll buy a lot of indies on this. I dream of Sunless Sea or Sky on it~

Nah. Screen turns off when docked.

Has anybody heard any news of Minecraft for the Switch?

It's coming. That's all we know.

JJShadow

I was already determined to wait until Christmas to buy a Switch, but the Zelda hype is slowly getting over me and I'm one click away of getting one. Do you guys think the console will be bundled or even have a price cut for next holidays? I don't really know Nintendo's policy in this topic as I've been a Sony gamer mostly for these last years, but if that's unlikely to happen, I'm buying it now

I have been very pleasantly surprised at how good this system is.

Me and my wife were playing bomberman in a coffee shop, just awesome.

Cannot wait for the VC to come online and hopefully developers get on board also.

The way you said that, sounds like I'm getting a free game or something. I bought the game. I have 2 switches .. I should be able to play the games I bought on both of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was an oversight.

I would place a sizeable wager that the access check is done during process launch, and not actively pinged during execution.

Basically signature verification.

Edit: oh I guess another issue I've had is the fact that mobile hot spots don't work, which is an absolute shame. They didn't work on the Vita, either, but I assumed with it being 2017 Nintendo would've figured something out. Super bummed about that.
Do you mean mobile hotspots from a phone? If so, They do. I had mine connected yesterday to my phone while I was at work to download Blaster Master.

Haven't been a huge Nintendo fan in a while. Handheld gaming doesn't do it for me and I like mature themed entertainment. So Sony has taking up most of my gaming attention but Metroid & Zelda still are top 10 franchises in my heart.

Preordered the Switch until I could decide if I wanted it. Thought about canceling it a few times, canceled my Zelda SE preorder cause I thought I would just sell it. Even tried to a few times at a crazy price. So here the system sat in my house until I finally opened it...:

I love this thing. As a tech device I love how modular it is and how easy it will be to upgrade and customize in the future. Then I played Zelda and I'm in love. I'm trying not to play it too much until I finish Horizon (which is why I debated on canceling my preorder. I got Horizon & Nier when will I have time for Zelda). Yet when I'm waiting at the car dealership at my girlfriend's house I'm getting 30-40 minutes in with Zelda and I couldn't be happier!

Now the graphics aren't amazing but art style can go a long way. I look forward to playing MK8 since I haven't played a MK since 64! I see myself getting all indie games on this thing because personally indies are better portable, quick games IMO. Overall I'm glad I got the thing and I'm excited about the future. It's a perfect complimentary system I've been looking for.

Bought a pair of blue neon Joycons from Best Buy and they are a bit creaky when attached to the Switch. The grey ones that came with it are perfect though.

I was already determined to wait until Christmas to buy a Switch, but the Zelda hype is slowly getting over me and I'm one click away of getting one. Do you guys think the console will be bundled or even have a price cut for next holidays? I don't really know Nintendo's policy in this topic as I've been a Sony gamer mostly for these last years, but if that's unlikely to happen, I'm buying it now

Yeah there will almost definitely be bundles. Probably not Zelda, but maybe a Splatoon 2 or MK8DX bundle this holiday. I would not expect a straight price cut, though there might be black Friday deals.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
So my joycon are a bit wobbly.

Friend at work has the system too - his system is rock solid, no wobble, so I swapped joycon with him to determine what the source of the problem was... whether it was an issue with the rails on the joycon, or the system.

My joycon were rock solid on his system, his became wobbly on mine. :(

Anyone have this issue, and was the simple fix just tightening the screws on the system's metal rails? I have a kit at home, and was going to try it later... just want to make sure I don't strip the screws, so they can claim I altered the system if I need to ship back to Nintendo.

Bluenoser

Just to confirm, is it normal for the battery to still drain while playing portable, even if you have it plugged in to a USB-C cable?

Played for a couple of hours on and off and the battery is down under 60% even though I had it plugged in the whole time.

So my joycon are a bit wobbly.

Friend at work has the system too - his system is rock solid, no wobble, so I swapped joycon with him to determine what the source of the problem was... whether it was an issue with the rails on the joycon, or the system.

My joycon were rock solid on his system, his became wobbly on mine. :(

Anyone have this issue, and was the simple fix just tightening the screws on the system's metal rails? I have a kit at home, and was going to try it later... just want to make sure I don't strip the screws, so they can claim I altered the system if I need to ship back to Nintendo.

Mine ever so slightly "creak" when I try to wiggle them on the system. It's not a problem though, it never comes up during actual play.

Neoweee

Just to confirm, is it normal for the battery to still drain while playing portable, even if you have it plugged in to a USB-C cable?

Played for a couple of hours on and off and the battery is down under 60% even though I had it plugged in the whole time.

It depends how much power it can draw from the battery. Not all batteries can supply power faster a Switch drains it. USB-C cable will increase the potential limit on how much power can be supplied, but even then it will be determined by the battery. What is the volts and amps? It should be written on the battery somewhere.

For whom interested :

Charged the device fully to %100.I enabled airplane mod. Put my switch on my desk and lowered brightness to lowest. Audio %50. Played VOEZ for 2 hours exactly with this settings -it is bright here so no need to rise the brightness, the final battery is read : %75. By this logic it would give me about 7-8 hours of play time.

TL;DR : Fully charged to %75 in two hours with all wireless disabled sound at %50 and touchscreen usage only, playing VOEZ all the time without any brakes.

This doesn't surprise me at all given the battery specs Nintendo stated. Voez is a lot less intensive than something like Zelda.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Mine ever so slightly "creak" when I try to wiggle them on the system. It's not a problem though, it never comes up during actual play.

I'm just concerned about long term wear and tear... if they are slightly loose now, in 6 months, or 1 year, will they be even looser...?

big_erk

I have been very pleasantly surprised at how good this system is.

Me and my wife were playing bomberman in a coffee shop, just awesome.

Cannot wait for the VC to come online and hopefully developers get on board also.

This system is great. I downloaded the demo of Puyo Puyo Tetris from the Japanese eShop and my wife an I started playing it in tabletop mode (great game BTW). We got so into the game that we forgot about the chicken wings we had on the grill. The wings came out good (just a little darker than usual) but I whooped her ass in the game. This is the most social portable game system ever. I hope it continues to succeed here in the U.S. I have little doubt that it will find traction in Japan.

Bluenoser

It depends how much power it can draw from the battery. Not all batteries can supply power faster a Switch drains it. USB-C cable will increase the potential limit on how much power can be supplied, but even then it will be determined by the battery. What is the volts and amps? It should be written on the battery somewhere.

I had it plugged into a usb-c cable, which was plugged into my laptop's USB port. I wasn't using a portable battery. Is this bad? I charge lots of things this way.

I've played extensively. Haven't had the joycon issue yet. I'm trying to think of issues, but I think the only thing I've come across is frame rate drops when the system has 1% battery, but everything I own does that.

I created a hotspot with my phone last night and played FAST RMX online. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're referring to however.

Logash

After my first full week with the switch I can say without a doubt that I love it. The battery life is not as bad as I originally thought and after thinking about it for a bit I realized that the original 3DS had a similar one. The Pro controller is awesome and I haven't had to charge it since I got it. Of course Zelda is shaping up to be not only my favorite entry in the series but one of my favorite games of all time. The only real complaint I have is the lack of a d-pad on portable mode. I understand why they did it but I really miss it when playing 2d games. Have we heard anything about them selling a signal left joy con with a d-pad yet? Would not mind paying that ridiculous price for it

Wasp14

My Switch should be delivered within the next hour or so. I'm really excited and feel prepared with:

-The Hori $12 screen protector
-Breath of the Wild
-The Pro Controller
-Hori Tough travel bag

I'm usually a Playstation guy but grew up with Nintendo and feel that same sense of excitement I did all of those years ago.

mrback

Hi to all, not sure if this is normal operation or not but I charged my switch this morning to 100% then switched it off at work, not sleep mode but actually switching off. I have switched on this afternoon & the battery shows at 83%, is that normal operation? Just seems a big drop after only being switched off for a few hours.

Bought pro controller before work.
I've got an ankey quick charge (2.0 i think) block plugged into my power supply. I assume i can just swap its usb for the one that came with the controller, and charge it up so it is ready when i get home?

In the next system update, Nintendo needs to include a way to turn the console on and off while docked using either the Joycons or the Pro Controller.

The only option currently available on the Home Screen is sleep mode, not a full power off. You have to physically hold down the power button on the Switch until the power off options appear on your TV.

This needs to be addressed in the next update.

TheFuzz

I've got an ankey quick charge (2.0 i think) block plugged into my power supply. I assume i can just swap its usb for the one that came with the controller, and charge it up so it is ready when i get home?

It's already got a decent charge on it. I used mine for a couple hours right out of the box.

linkboy

It depends. I have a 5-port charger and my Pro Controller won't charge over the USB-C port (it's not the cable, as my phone works just fine on it), but charges just fine using it's cable.

It does however charge just fine on my Google USB-C charger, using the same USB-C cable.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I gotta say, I fucking love this system, a lot more than I thought I would. Zelda has me hooked, but I've been playing a lot of Snipperclips with the kids too. The game that has REALLY surprised me is Fast RMX. This shit is basically F Zero Switch in my eyes. I have had so much fun with it. The only game I regret buying is 1 2 Switch. It was cool for like 2 days lol.

Quick Charge is a Qualcomm technology.. it won't work if the device you're plugging in doesn't support QC.

if you want your power bank to charge the switch or a switch controller, use a non QC port and it should work.

Quick Charge is a Qualcomm technology.. it won't work if the device you're plugging in doesn't support QC.

if you want your power bank to charge the switch or a switch controller, use a non QC port and it should work.

Oh, i had plugged it in to my quick charge 2.0 port and an orange light came on.

Hopefully I didn't damage the battery? That's why I asked here, but you are the first to say it is a problem.

The charger won't just tell its not a quick charge device and output the proper levels?

To clarify, I'm not using a powerbank, but an anker adapter plugged into a surge protector.

Oh, i had plugged it in to my quick charge 2.0 port and an orange light came on.

Hopefully I didn't damage the battery? That's why I asked here, but you are the first to say it is a problem.

The charger won't just tell its not a quick charge device and output the proper levels?

To clarify, I'm not using a powerbank, but an anker adapter plugged into a surge protector.

I didn't think it would work at all. I'm surprised to see that it does. based on what I had read.

I had seen others say that the quick charge ports on their powerbanks didn't work w/ the switch.

j-wood

What are the vents on the bottom of the back of the unit? It looks like the exhaust fan is on the top of the switch, but are these others ones also vents that need to be uncovered?

beanman25

Very happy to say I just helped someone out in the area. I had a second switch (just because I never canceled my amazon order). Met a guy at walgreens and sold him it for 300 + a 6 pack of chocolate beer. hah.

He was super nice and said he was pumped to surprise his kids tonight.

So I'll be drinking those and playing zelda tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom