• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very happy to say I just helped someone out in the area. I had a second switch (just because I never canceled my amazon order). Met a guy at walgreens and sold him it for 300 + a 6 pack of chocolate beer. hah.

He was super nice and said he was pumped to surprise his kids tonight.

So I'll be drinking those and playing zelda tonight!

A random guy? Be careful with that stuff. I got robbed at gunpoint for an xbox one in broad daylight in a busy parking lot with security cameras lol

I didn't think it would work at all. I'm surprised to see that it does. based on what I had read.

I had seen others say that the quick charge ports on their powerbanks didn't work w/ the switch.

I suppose those ports are only for QC2.0 devices. I looked up my aukey charger and it says it adaptively charges all 5V usb devices. I guess I assumed all QC2.0 chargers worked that way, while mine is actually "special?"

Neoweee

I had it plugged into a usb-c cable, which was plugged into my laptop's USB port. I wasn't using a portable battery. Is this bad? I charge lots of things this way.

No, it's not bad. It is supplying a charge to the Switch, but the Switch is using more power than your laptop is outputting. Is your Laptop running of battery, or is the laptop plugged into the wall? Even in the later case, I don't think it is unusual for PC USB ports to be running at a weaker power compared to wall outlets/batteries.

Hmmmmmmm. DigitAL or physical zelda?

Physical. Switch storage space isn't great and BOTW takes up like a third of it. And Zelda's not the kind of multiplayer game you'd want to have on the machine at all times; once you're done with Zelda you won't be coming back unless you want to dump another 50 hours into a new playthrough

I didn't think it would work at all. I'm surprised to see that it does. based on what I had read.

I had seen others say that the quick charge ports on their powerbanks didn't work w/ the switch.

Quick charge is just the wattage / voltage supplied wrapped up in a nice Qualcomm name. They might have some proprietary connector, im not sure, but there is no secret sauce to the tech.

As long as the device receiving the current can take the Amperage, and as long as the Device supplying the power can supply the amperage, you will charge faster (more current).

The switch looks like it accepts 3A on 5V. So to get best performance you want a USB output with 3A on the 5V line.

Id imagine if there is secret sauce of Quickcharge, maybe some powerbanks dont work if it doesnt handshake with that.

beanman25

A random guy? Be careful with that stuff. I got robbed at gunpoint for an xbox one in broad daylight in a busy parking lot with security cameras lol

I suppose those ports are only for QC2.0 devices. I looked up my aukey charger and it says it adaptively charges all 5V usb devices. I guess I assumed all QC2.0 chargers worked that way, while mine is actually "special?"

Well, yeah. From craigslist. We did meet at a walgreens right next to a safe trade police department. Then I just walked to the lot and cops where there. So it was pretty safe. thankfully.

I'm a little careless sometimes though. I used to just have craigslist people come to my place. But someone swiped something so i never did it again. lol

wotta

I'm having a bizarre issue with my Left JoyCon. When playing, even with it attached to the unit the Left JoyCon seems to have a mind of its own on occasion, almost as if the button is stuck. When I detach and attach again this seems to fix the issue.

In Snipperclips it makes the characters autorotate. In Zelda it automatically selects bombs. Very strange.

ValeYard

Hey everyone, while switching between game cartridges I noticed that my Switch doesn't always recognise that a game has been inserted. Just popping the game up and pushing it down again normally suffices, but it worried me when I first noticed it.

Anyone else had this?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hey everyone, while switching between game cartridges I noticed that my Switch doesn't always recognise that a game has been inserted. Just popping the game up and pushing it down again normally suffices, but it worried me when I first noticed it.

Anyone else had this?

This is a known issue. More people have it. Can get annoying when the game doesn't get recognised after multiple inserts. In some cases people solve it by plugging a headphone in and out of the jack: https://youtu.be/q1pEs5GJ5K4

Symphonic

I'm having a bizarre issue with my Left JoyCon. When playing, even with it attached to the unit the Left JoyCon seems to have a mind of its own on occasion, almost as if the button is stuck. When I detach and attach again this seems to fix the issue.

In Snipperclips it makes the characters autorotate. In Zelda it automatically selects bombs. Very strange.

Sounds like the shoulder buttons are getting stuck?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sniffing the exhaust port on top, it smells like burning in there.

Chopini

Neo Member
Easy: pro controller. Join usss

In my opinion the Pro Controller is the best controller you can buy on the market right now, and I've pretty much had time with them all.

mMEBFi0.jpg

Got my pro! Your guys weren't kidding. It felt really great. I have no problem with the d-pad or anything. Feel great about my purchase.

Next, it's time I have to replace my wobbly joycon. My joy con grip is creaking so bad. I tried other three different switches, none are as loose as mine.

mMEBFi0.jpg

Got my pro! Your guys weren't kidding. It felt really great. I have no problem with the d-pad or anything. Feel great about my purchase.

Next, it's time I have to replace my wobbly joycon. My joy con grip is creaking so bad. I tried other three different switches, none are as loose as mine.

Holy your image confused me for a second because I have exactly the same carpet :p

Kudo

mMEBFi0.jpg

o6gaKVB.gif

You made a good choice, welcome to the comfy Pro Controller club!

I've been wondering if the Wii U was always intended to be a step towards this. To almost prepare consumers for the Switch. Like Nintendo knew the next console after the Wii U would be what the Switch is and the Wii U (which is like halfway there) would get consumers adjusted to having a Nintendo console that is also played on a "tablet" without the TV. I suppose it's possible it was also preparing their internal developers for where we are now as well...

Vitacat

Hmmmmmmm. DigitAL or physical zelda?
Physical for retail games, digital only for games that can't be purchased physically.

That's how I'm doing it, and I say that as someone who went 99% digital on Vita, and later regretted it.

You'll be able to get games much cheaper (I.e. I preordered 10 Switch games that will be $60 on eShop for between $24 - $36 physically), keep full rights to sell/trade/share them, get physical bonuses items if/when they're offered, and you won't need to buy an expensive mSD card to store them.

Zafir

Anyone get their Orzly glass screen protector? I ordered from amazon and it says it should be arriving today. There is no tracking number..

Nope. Ordered it from Amazon UK on Saturday, it apparently shipped on Monday, and I still haven't received it.

I dunno where in the world it's coming from...

Ducayne

Three more technical questions:

1) Finally docked and played my console on the big screen after playing solely in handheld mode and.... I'm having weird controller issues? I'm playing Zelda and the left Joycon will have delayed feedback or inputs would just not work at all?

2) My friend's console has NO option to connect to a Wireless network. It will scan, and then no networks will populate.. at all. Nintendo wants him to send his console in for repair. Any reports of a similar issue or fix?

3) Anyway to clean controller buttons? I already have a few sticky ones.

Do you guys think there will be an audio/video player on this thing? Would be cool to bump some tunes on here while playing Zelda and streaming shows to the Switch in portable mode in my bed via DLNA or something.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If i buy a USB-C cable can i use it with my ipad powerplug to charge Switch?

short answer, not really.

long answer, in a pinch it will eventually charge it to 100%, but you can't actually play Switch while it is being charged (your switch will drain faster than it is charged in this case). The problem is that Switch basically has to be charged with USB PD, which is USB-C only. So if you are using something that isn't recognized as USB PD (i.e. USB-A, or even USB-C chargers that work in legacy mode) it will only charge at 5v/1.5A.

Some common chargers for USB PD would be google pixel or macbook pro USB-C chargers.. or any powerpack that states it supports USB PD.

Crazyorloco

I gotta say, I fucking love this system, a lot more than I thought I would. Zelda has me hooked, but I've been playing a lot of Snipperclips with the kids too. The game that has REALLY surprised me is Fast RMX. This shit is basically F Zero Switch in my eyes. I have had so much fun with it. The only game I regret buying is 1 2 Switch. It was cool for like 2 days lol.

1, 2 switch is probably the best game to show people who don't really play games though. At first i really didn't like it, but it's grown on me because I see how much fun people have with it.

I gotta try Fast RMX.

short answer, not really.

long answer, in a pinch it will eventually charge it to 100%, but you can't actually play Switch while it is being charged (your switch will drain faster than it is charged in this case). The problem is that Switch basically has to be charged with USB PD, which is USB-C only. So if you are using something that isn't recognized as USB PD (i.e. USB-A, or even USB-C chargers that work in legacy mode) it will only charge at 5v/1.5A.

Some common chargers for USB PD would be google pixel or macbook pro USB-C chargers.. or any powerpack that states it supports USB PD.

eh, my ipad charger charges my switch fine.

it's slow when playing (probably 1% every 5 minutes) but it does work, and charges fine in sleep mode.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
mMEBFi0.jpg

I feel like it's an absolute necessity. I do not really like the Joy Cons as controllers in any configuration I have tried, so the Pro just makes playing games feel so much better. I hope that all games going forward start to support the Pro Controller because right now I don't really want to get any more Joy Cons if I can avoid it. Would much rather hand people a Pro Controller when we sit down to play something multiplayer. Took a ton of convincing to get my friend to try Snipperclips with the Joy Con. He couldn't even figure out how to make the right one fit in his hands. Had to swap him onto the left one to even try to play.

On the subject of Joy Cons, my right one feels just a tad bit wobbly when attached to the main unit. Anyone else having this sort of problem? What would be my potential fix? Contacting Nintendo?

Got my new pro controller at my desk at work, and it definitely seems like down on the dpad makes a loud click, while the other directions don't. Pretty sure I've read others with the same issue.

If it seems to work well I doubt it's worth doing anything about it.

ktroopa

Got my new pro controller at my desk at work, and it definitely seems like down on the dpad makes a loud click, while the other directions don't. Pretty sure I've read others with the same issue.

If it seems to work well I doubt it's worth doing anything about it.

All pro-cons do the click noise on d-pad down. Its to do with the extra give on the shape of the controller at that point, compared to the rest of the mobo. I think :)

Vitacat

Very happy to say I just helped someone out in the area. I had a second switch (just because I never canceled my amazon order). Met a guy at walgreens and sold him it for 300 + a 6 pack of chocolate beer. hah.

He was super nice and said he was pumped to surprise his kids tonight.

So I'll be drinking those and playing zelda tonight!
You're an awesome human being. Congrats on doing the right thing. Enjoy those beers and Zelda.

I gotta say, I fucking love this system, a lot more than I thought I would. Zelda has me hooked, but I've been playing a lot of Snipperclips with the kids too. The game that has REALLY surprised me is Fast RMX. This shit is basically F Zero Switch in my eyes. I have had so much fun with it. The only game I regret buying is 1 2 Switch. It was cool for like 2 days lol.

Yep. Fast RMX is the real deal. Way better than expected. I still want a proper F-Zero someday, but Fast is damn good.

ValeYard

This is a known issue. More people have it. Can get annoying when the game doesn't get recognised after multiple inserts. In some cases people solve it by plugging a headphone in and out of the jack: https://youtu.be/q1pEs5GJ5K4

Yeah, mine definitely isn't as bad as in the video. I only noticed it by putting the cartridge in and out a few times. I wonder if I should send my Switch in? :/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anybody have a link to where to go to start a service order with Nintendo about the disconnecting joycon?

d1rtn4p

Awesome. My son dropped the switch on the ground. It landed by the right bumper. Right bumper not working at all now. Guess it's time for a new pair of joycons?

Oh wow! That's nuts. Glad that you're alright. You ever post about what went down in more detail?

Fledz

The game that has REALLY surprised me is Fast RMX. This shit is basically F Zero Switch in my eyes. I have had so much fun with it. The only game I regret buying is 1 2 Switch. It was cool for like 2 days lol.

Is it really only a 900MB install size? I should grab it as I loved Wipeout and F-Zero. Also it's probably a good game to always have available to play.

Oh wow! That's nuts. Glad that you're alright. You ever post about what went down in more detail?

Thanks! I haven't here, no, only really told the story in person. I did end up getting the xbox back though.

The guy that robbed me listed it back up on Craigslist...using the same phone number he contacted me with when he stole it. So the detective arranged a meeting to "buy" it and showed up an hour early with 6 SWAT dudes.

So yeah, it sucked at the time, but i got my stuff back and the fool that robned me is in for 12 years.

0racle

How does the charging work with this?

I am looking to get a small USB charger for on the go with a USB to USB c cable.

In terms of volts/amps etc. Does it matter? does the system take what it needs and there is no way to damage the battery? I can plug in any wall charger/wall plug/computer etc?`

batrush

I was too weak

Fortunately no dead pixels, piss-tint screen or defects.. No joy-con issues either. Not going to use a screen protector but I'm going to need a case.

think I'm gonna sell the dock.. lol

Glix

I cant deal with mismatched but i picked up a pair of blue joycons today and I LOVE the way the unit looks with them attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom