• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant deal with mismatched but i picked up a pair of blue joycons today and I LOVE the way the unit looks with them attached

Yeah, the neon joyconned switch liked like childish junk to me, but I see pics of units with 2 red or 3 blue and it looks really nice imo.

If you're looking for a Pro Controller, check out Amazon Prime Now. They're available in my area right now (Los Angeles) and they were yesterday as well since by buddy picked one up via Prime Now.

I'm sure they won't be available in all areas, but your new Pro Controller might be 2 hours away from being delivered...

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Hmmmmmmm. DigitAL or physical zelda?

Physical! You should always buy physical.

Sniffing the exhaust port on top, it smells like burning in there.

I don't have a Switch yet, but warm plastic will give off a bit of a smell, and it seems to get a little over 50 degrees internally under heavy load.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-nintendo-switch-review

Doesn't mean it's burning, but it is possible yours is faulty.

Zafir

So, how do I change the language of the japanese eShop?

I don't think you do.

When I first logged into the JP account I created inside the eshop, it came up with an error saying the language set(English) is not supported by the store you're trying to access. It defaulted back to Japanese.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
How do I get my switch to gimme the playtime of each game?

It just says "First played X days ago"

After a week since the initial boot of a game, it'll start displaying a time estimate that updates roughly every ten hours of playtime. It could update on a more frequent schedule, but I recall seeing 20 or more hours, 30 or more hours, and so on as display notices.

Got mine in today. I don't seem to have any of the problems people are having with the main system. But...

Bent dock :\

Oh well, at least I was mostly planning on using it in its mobile form. Really hope Nintendo ships a redesign/replacement.

Got mine in today. I don't seem to have any of the problems people are having with the main system. But...

Bent dock :

Oh well, at least I was mostly planning on using it in its mobile form. Really hope Nintendo ships a redesign/replacement.

Would love a premium dock. Even if I had to pay $50 for it.. something that can dock the switch in both orientations and maybe charge a pro controller etc would be great.

entremet

I'm really surprised how portable this is.

Y'all were wrong.

I remember reading threads about people saying this thing was too big.

No way, Jose!

So I have the Parental Controls app installed for my Switch so I can see how long I've been playing stuff. In Console Settings, Play-Time Limit is set to No Limit, and Restriction Level is set to None. Clicking into the latter confirms that nothing is listed as restricted in any way.

Unfortunately, whenever I need to connect my Switch to my workplace's network (which has a landing page you need to click through to get online), the Switch states that connecting is restricted and requires entering my PIN. I'll likely change the PIN to something really simple, but is there any other place I should be checking to make sure I'm not inadvertently restricting my access in ways I'm not aware of.

Or might this be an actual bug in the app that should be reported to Nintendo somehow? It's happened multiple times over the course of multiple days, so I don't think it's just a case of the settings not syncing over.

in before "You shouldn't play video games at work" for those who may not have considered lunches or breaks ;)

mStudios

After a week since the initial boot of a game, it'll start displaying a time estimate that updates roughly every ten hours of playtime. It could update on a more frequent schedule, but I recall seeing 20 or more hours, 30 or more hours, and so on as display notices.

It's been exactly a week since I booted Zelda for the first time and nothing :(

This is what's widely reported but I have people on my Friends List with 'First played 8 days ago' and 'First played 9 days ago' so it must be something else that triggers it...

Anaithsol

Neo Member
It's been exactly a week since I booted Zelda for the first time and nothing :(

This is what's widely reported but I have people on my Friends List with 'First played 8 days ago' and 'First played 9 days ago' so it must be something else that triggers it...

Hmm, that's odd. I have a couple of people on my friend's list whom are displaying the time estimates without issue. I'll have to see if mine updates once I reach a week.

I posted this in my own thread and didn't get an answer:

On Wii U I liked how each user could lock their accounts from one another. This way all your saves and settings per game are locked behind each individual user's login/password. So far I haven't seen this feature on Switch.

Did I miss it or is it just not there? Sure there is parental controls but this still doesn't solve the issue of my 8 year old playing on my save file when I am not home if I give him access to Breath of the Wild. Hopefully this feature returns because if my son deletes my file or runs through all of my supplies I'll be ticked.

I will ask a mod to lock my original thread so I can get an answer in this thread.

Rizific

Quick q, going to be traveling pretty far soon (18hr flight) and got a 10k mah powerbank. Will a usb3 to USB C cable work to charge the switch?

Seth

I thought i could use any usb cable to charge the switch. I bought one on amazon, but it seems like it can't charge fast enough to let me play at the same time. i plugged it in (tried plugging it into my laptop as well as a walladapter) at about 5% and it was long before the battery just died. i left it plugged up for a while and it did get back up to 2%, so its chargning... i just cant seem to play while charging.

Did i get a bad cable or should i just buy a nintendo one?

Lizardus

I thought i could use any usb cable to charge the switch. I bought one on amazon, but it seems like it can't charge fast enough to let me play at the same time. i plugged it in (tried plugging it into my laptop as well as a walladapter) at about 5% and it was long before the battery just died. i left it plugged up for a while and it did get back up to 2%, so its chargning... i just cant seem to play while charging.

Did i get a bad cable or should i just buy a nintendo one?

If it was a cheap no-name cable, it probably was a 28/28. You want a 28/24 cable. Do you have a link to that cable you bought?

That Nintendo carrying case is available on Amazon for me. Just grabbed it. It's 20 bucks with a screen protector. 3rd parties were selling for $60.

Thanks for the heads up. I had originally purchased this one, then sold it to a friend and kept my Hori. I like the protection of the Hori, but I missed the slimmer size of this case.

Just picked it up again.

Persona7

Banned
Anyone know of a good USB C male to female extension cable on amazon?

I was looking at the other stand on amazon and it doesn't have vent holes like the hori play stand.

sleepnaught

The Wifi is unbelievably pathetic. My Switch completely loses the Wifi signal only half way across my 1,500 square foot home. Meanwhile, a cheap $60 Blu Amazon phone I have lying around can read it from my one end of my house to all the way at the end of the drive way. It's absolutely ridiculous. Anytime I want to check the eShop or download something, I have to carry it to the same room as my router to get a decent signal.

Persona7

Banned
The Wifi is unbelievably pathetic. My Switch completely loses the Wifi signal only half way across my 1,500 square foot home. Meanwhile, a cheap $60 Blu Amazon phone I have lying around can read it from my one end of my house to all the way at the end of the drive way. It's absolutely ridiculous. Anytime I want to check the eShop or download something, I have to carry it to the same roof as my router to get a decent signal.

Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz? 5GHz has an extremely low range. I can sit across the living room from my router and have a low connection even with a direct line of sight.

Finally played in handheld mode for the first time tonight. Holy shit! It's been docked since launch. Was waiting until my screen protector came in to undock it. I am amazed at how playable Zelda is on handheld, after playing it exclusively on my TV for the last week. This thing is the real deal. Lost 2 hours just messing around in Zelda when I only meant to test it for 10 min LOL.

I think it can only do 2.4ghz.

wrong

Persona7

Banned
I think it can only do 2.4ghz.

The switch supports both bands and wireless AC. I haven't noticed much of a difference in wireless functions compared to my other modern devices over 5GHz or 2.4GHz. Probably worth checking your router settings and the band your switch is connected to.

But like I said, 5GHz has an incredibly low range but that is how it was designed as it sends more data over shorter distances.

sleepnaught

The switch supports both bands and wireless AC. I haven't noticed much of a difference in wireless functions compared to my other modern devices over 5GHz or 2.4GHz. Probably worth checking your router settings and the band your switch is connected to.

But like I said, 5GHz has an incredibly low range but that is how it was designed as it sends more data over shorter distances.
I mean my wifi router, there's no option to change from 2.4 to 5ghz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom