• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
Dumb question: is it safe to keep the Switch in sleep mode inside a thick carrying case? It won't overheat or anything, right?
You're right, it is a silly question ;D

Yes it's completely safe. In sleep mode the console shouldn't even generate any noticeable heat.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man I've been following all the stock outlets, this week is spring break and I may just bite the bullet and get the wii u version if I cant find a switch.

So my cousin is absolutely not a gamer. I made him try out the Switch today. To my surprise, he was instantly wowed by Zelda and how much of itself it retains when transitioned to handheld mode, and totally charmed by SnipperClips.

I started out with showing him 1,2 Switch first though, and that was met with indifference and minimal interest. Sure it's a shallow game, but I thought its minigame/proof of concept set up would have been far more approachable and compelling to people that don't really get into gaming.

oti

Banned
Do your Joy-Con wiggle a bit? Mine can move a bit up and down (a tiny amount but still) and the left one wiggles. I'm just wondering if that's supposed to happen or not. They are three separate pieces of hardware but shouldn't they just be still when docked to the main unit in handheld mode?

Do your Joy-Con wiggle a bit? Mine can move a bit up and down (a tiny amount but still) and the left one wiggles. I'm just wondering if that's supposed to happen or not. They are three separate pieces of hardware but shouldn't they just be still when docked to the main unit in handheld mode?

I have barely used mine so far (only got it yesterday and didn't get much chance to play it), but the wiggle was one of the first things I wanted to test it for and I can't say I felt/noticed any, thankfully.

No other issues either with mine so far. *knock on wood*

jrcbandit

Exactly how much wiggle? Mine don't really wiggle but if apply pressure a certain way, they kind of squeak but don't really move much.

oti

Banned
Exactly how much wiggle? Mine don't really wiggle but if apply pressure a certain way, they kind of squeak but don't really move much.

It kinda wobbles like this when attached and it moves a bit up and down, making a klick sound.

https://youtu.be/07qmXG8Jc7c

Didn't feel that when I got the Switch a week ago. Maybe I'm just conscious about it now after someone kinda smashed the left Joy-Con to the floor while playing 1-2-Switch. At least it was on carpet. Damn idiot.

jrcbandit

It kinda wobbles like this when attached and it moves a bit up and down, making a klick sound.

https://youtu.be/07qmXG8Jc7c

Didn't feel that when I got the Switch a week ago. Maybe I'm just conscious about it now after someone kinda smashed the left Joy-Con to the floor while playing 1-2-Switch. At least it was on carpet. Damn idiot.

Hmm, on my Grip there is exactly 0 wobble - how is it on yours? When on the Switch there is a very slight wobble but it is no where near as bad as that Youtube video you posted.

Have Nintendo said anything about the joycon connection issues yet? Sorry if it's already been answered. Was originally planning to wait until the end of the year to buy one but I am slowly caving and the main thing holding me back is the potential of getting a batch of hardware that will be updated or something

oti

Banned
Hmm, on my Grip there is exactly 0 wobble - how is it on yours? When on the Switch there is a very slight wobble but it is no where near as bad as that Youtube video you posted.

Grip is fine, but the Grip is a shell so that's not surprising. Yeah, I don't know. It's not an issue but I'd like to try it with another Joy-Con, just to see if there are differences.

Forkball

I played it for the first time on a train today. It's comfy and easy to start up from sleep mode. Time flies when you're playing Zelda of sure.

When I moved my Switch out of the dock and closer to my router, the online connection was fine. I was able to download things with zero issues and at a good speed. My dock is only about twenty feet away and is in the same place as my Wii U, so I don't get the issue. I hope it's easy to fix since I would prefer to play games like Mario Kart and Splatoon on a TV.

Vitacat

Have Nintendo said anything about the joycon connection issues yet? Sorry if it's already been answered. Was originally planning to wait until the end of the year to buy one but I am slowly caving and the main thing holding me back is the potential of getting a batch of hardware that will be updated or something
They are evaluating things. See the recent interview with Reggie.

Also, keep in mind not everyone is having those issues. I'm not and I tested. In fact, I've not had a single problem or defect.

By the end of the year I'm sure most of the bugs and issues will be worked out for sure. Really though, get one now if you want want one. It's a brilliant and fun system, and BOTW really is worth it.

Anyone know of a good USB wall charger I should get for charging my switch using the USB to USB-C cable?

edit: I am using the RDS case and in the mesh pouch I have the joycons strays and a USB-C cable. I feel like its kinda bulky when I zip the case up. Do you guys think with how bulky it is, will it affect my switch?
2017-03-11.jpg
2017-03-11.jpg

Pasedo

Question. Is the Switch hardware even capable of current AAA 3rd party games. Like could Battlefield 1 look and run acceptably?

Pasedo

Depends on what you consider acceptable.

Acceptable for them to release the game to the market. Or will the Switch just be like the 3DS or Wii where 3rd parties made separate games for it because it wasn't capable enough of porting AAA current gen games to it. Still deciding whether I just take the plunge and get one but concerned there won't be enough AAA games on it.

Foxxsoxx

So my friend is letting me borrow his Switch for a week and as someone who was on the fence, this really sold me on it. Not only is Zelda great but the switch just feels right to play. All I need to justify buying it now is tons of games because the portability of it all is just brilliant.

SomTervo

So i want to play Zelda digital but got the game bundled physical.

I have like 30 hours in it with no end in sight.

If i sell the physical version and buy it digital, will my save carry over? Or will the OS be funky about having two "versions" on the account, etc?

(Getting very tired of swapping 12S and Zelda out, especially considering one wants Zelda EVERYWHERE)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wanted to watch TV, but also wanted to play Zelda... it finally occurred to me that the Switch also works as a portable. That's kinda cool. Wouldn't want to play the Switch that way more than just occasionally, though. It's kinda rad having such a pretty game on a portable, but I just overwhelmingly prefer playing it on the TV with the pro controller.

Wanted to watch TV, but also wanted to play Zelda... it finally occurred to me that the Switch also works as a portable. That's kinda cool. Wouldn't want to play the Switch that way more than just occasionally, though. It's kinda rad having such a pretty game on a portable, but I just overwhelmingly prefer playing it on the TV with the pro controller.
Why not play it tabletop with the pro controller?

So i want to play Zelda digital but got the game bundled physical.

I have like 30 hours in it with no end in sight.

If i sell the physical version and buy it digital, will my save carry over? Or will the OS be funky about having two "versions" on the account, etc?

This is a question I would like to know the answer to as well.

oti

Banned
I have barely used mine so far (only got it yesterday and didn't get much chance to play it), but the wiggle was one of the first things I wanted to test it for and I can't say I felt/noticed any, thankfully.

No other issues either with mine so far. *knock on wood*

Hm, yeah. It doesn't feel as solid as it should I guess. Don't know. Don't feel like paying 80€ for a new pair of Joy-Con just to test it out either. I'll just stick with it and when new colours come out I'll buy them or something like that.

jts

...hate me...
I would like to inform those in the Eurozone that download codes are seemingly still able to be used across European accounts with no problems.

This is probably also true for other regions.

peakish

Acceptable for them to release the game to the market. Or will the Switch just be like the 3DS or Wii where 3rd parties made separate games for it because it wasn't capable enough of porting AAA current gen games to it. Still deciding whether I just take the plunge and get one but concerned there won't be enough AAA games on it.
I mean, the Wii got most Call of Duty games so anything is possible. But I don't expect many AAA ports coming to it and if they do they will likely be very limited compared to the other home console and PC versions.

Chopini

Neo Member
Does anyone with pro controller can check for me? Does your have little play/wiggle in analog stick when in neutral position? This is the only I have so far it kinda annoy me, not sure if I recieved a bad batch.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

For me it's the exact opposite. No wobble on the Switch, a bit on the grip when pushing down on the lower part of either Joycon.

Protome

The stick on my right joycon has started making a weird noise that sounds kinda like a spring when it returns to the neutral position from the the bottom left. It's irritatingly loud and noticeable during quieter games like Zelda but not an issue otherwise, hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

oti

Banned
For me it's the exact opposite. No wobble on the Switch, a bit on the grip when pushing down on the lower part of either Joycon.

Sounds like this will be the 3DS screen wobble of this gen. Different degrees of wobble per unit. I'd imagine it'll get worse over time though. Those are three pieces of hardware in the end. At least it's easily fixable by new Joy-Con. And expensive.

I posted this in my own thread and didn't get an answer:

On Wii U I liked how each user could lock their accounts from one another. This way all your saves and settings per game are locked behind each individual user's login/password. So far I haven't seen this feature on Switch.

Did I miss it or is it just not there? Sure there is parental controls but this still doesn't solve the issue of my 8 year old playing on my save file when I am not home if I give him access to Breath of the Wild. Hopefully this feature returns because if my son deletes my file or runs through all of my supplies I'll be ticked.

I will ask a mod to lock my original thread so I can get an answer in this thread.

It's just not there which seems like a huge oversight for a console seemingly designed around family play and allowing up to 8 separate accounts.
You can password protect your eShop account so a similar system is in place, here's hoping like many other things it's added in a future update.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sounds like this will be the 3DS screen wobble of this gen. Different degrees of wobble per unit. I'd imagine it'll get worse over time though. Those are three pieces of hardware in the end. At least it's easily fixable by new Joy-Con. And expensive.

Since my Joycon are very tight on the Switch, it seems more likely that the grip is the culprit in my case.

reektann

Anyone know of a good USB wall charger I should get for charging my switch using the USB to USB-C cable?

edit: I am using the RDS case and in the mesh pouch I have the joycons strays and a USB-C cable. I feel like its kinda bulky when I zip the case up. Do you guys think with how bulky it is, will it affect my switch?

I've checked with my Chief of Cases here and he has advised the bulk will be a "non issue". Please take this anonymous as hell advice as gospel and continue to use your case. If your Switch bends by month 6 then it is what it is (I will fire my Chief of Cases) ((he doesn't exist)).

Septimius

The joycon issue is terrible. I've disabled 2.4GHz at home, but there can be not even a glass of water obstructing the line between my controller and the switch. This is ridiculous

The joycon issue is terrible. I've disabled 2.4GHz at home, but there can be not even a glass of water obstructing the line between my controller and the switch. This is ridiculous
Nintendo is aware of this, just call them and they will fix for you, a lot of gaffers have sent their joycon already

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Anyone else thinks Zelda looks awful in portable mode? I think it's the screen fault, black levels are terrible and everything looks very jaggy and badly textured.
I have an old 42" 720p plasma and it looks absolutely stunning there. Why so much difference? Maybe I have a defective unit or there's a setting I've missed?

Powwa

Anyone else thinks Zelda looks awful in portable mode? I think it's the screen fault, black levels are terrible and everything looks very jaggy and badly textured.
I have an old 42" 720p plasma and it looks absolutely stunning there. Why so much difference? Maybe I have a defective unit or there's a setting I've missed?

To me it looks even better on handheld, maybe share some screenshots?

jonno394

Nope, been playing Zelda about 95% of the time in handheld, looks stunning on the handheld screen to me :/

SomTervo

I definitely think it looks nicer, softer and more rounded, in docked mode.

Always thought it looked worse portable - but you notice it more in some areas than others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom