• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else thinks Zelda looks awful in portable mode? I think it's the screen fault, black levels are terrible and everything looks very jaggy and badly textured.
I have an old 42" 720p plasma and it looks absolutely stunning there. Why so much difference? Maybe I have a defective unit or there's a setting I've missed?

I just started playing Zelda (in portable mode, don't have TV and haven't hooked it up to a monitor yet) and I've been constantly gushing about how pretty it looks. But I'm coming from 3DS so my standards might be low :p

My friend who played it for a little while on my Switch yesterday said it didn't look right. He thought there was something wrong with the screen (he plays on PS4 mainly, while I'm a portables only guy), I don't see anything wrong with it. I guess it might depend on what you're used to.

sleepnaught

Anyone else thinks Zelda looks awful in portable mode? I think it's the screen fault, black levels are terrible and everything looks very jaggy and badly textured.
I have an old 42" 720p plasma and it looks absolutely stunning there. Why so much difference? Maybe I have a defective unit or there's a setting I've missed?

Yes, its mainly the screen imo. Black levels are abysmal, color saturation is crap ,viewing angles not great. Everything just looks pixelated and washed out. Its serviceable and a huge step up from the 3DS, but still not good. I really wish they would've been able to stick an OLED panel on this instead because even indies like Shovel Knight look abysmal in comparison to docked mode on my tv.

jonno394

Anyone know what the Has Been Heroes situation is going to be in the UK? I know the physical game is a Gamestop exclusive but Gamestop doesn't exist in the UK, am I going to have to import from Ireland?

Kudo

Yes, its mainly the screen imo. Black levels are abysmal, color saturation is crap ,viewing angles not great. Everything just looks pixelated and washed out. Its serviceable and a huge step up from the 3DS, but still not good. I really wish they would've been able to stick an OLED panel on this instead because even indies like Shovel Knight look abysmal in comparison to docked mode on my tv.

Sounds like you got a bad batch, even DigitalFoundry singed praises for the screen and it's quality, it's IPS so at least mine has really good viewing angles and colours, looks really crisp and not washed out at all.
I've seen some images people got screens with piss tint etc., so maybe you got unlucky?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Sounds like you got a bad batch, even DigitalFoundry singed praises for the screen and it's quality, it's IPS so at least mine has really good viewing angles and colours, looks really crisp and not washed out at all.
I've seen some images people got screens with piss tint etc., so maybe you got unlucky?
The OS menu looks perfectly white though.

sleepnaught

Like he said above, my screen is about as pure white as you can get. I may have exaggerated a bit. Its not THAT bad, just after spending so much time with an iPad, Nexus 6P, and my plasma TV, its just a bit underwhelming when Switching over from the TV to the Switch's screen. I'll snap a couple pics just to be safe. My brother is buying one soon too so I'll be able to compare.

Kudo

The OS menu looks perfectly white though.

Very weird then, maybe people can do comparisons on the Switch screens where everyone goes to same designated spot and takes a pic of it, of course we're talking panels here so there's going to be differences but curious to see.

FaintDeftone

So I'm on day 8 and my Switch still isn't giving playtime hours in the profile. Shouldn't it be telling me how many hours I've put into Zelda by now? It just says "first played 8 days ago."

One week in, and I love my Nintendo Switch.

It's just so nice a device!

I am not bothered by the battery at all. It's just fine
I agree. I see how it could bother some people, but I my gaming sessions usually aren't long enough to drain that battery fully anyway. I played it for hours last night and still had about 15-20% battery when I was finished.

tommyguns

So here's a new one. I get interference problems with my RIGHT joy con. If I sit on my sofa and am sitting cross legged and have the right joy con in my lap so my leg is blocking it, it basically just becomes un playable.

Chopini

Neo Member

I also have 8 year old 720p plasma. It does look lot more vibrant and better than the switch screen on Zelda. I will take a pic for you when i got home. I think it is mostly come down to plasma vs lcd. The switch screen is already league better than 3ds and wiii gamepad screen but not at the same level as your expensive mobile device.

Zelda also have somekind of foggy effect. It does make picture even more fade. I have tried 4 switch I think it is not just my screen. Eventhough there is one that is yellow tint but that might closer to D65 white.

However I find Zelda looks really great on Switch screen.

tommyguns

Also, to chime in on the screen quality talk. I'm in the camp that the screen is good, and that's about it. Compared to old Nintendo screens, it's fantastic, but compared to my Google pixel, my ks8000, or iPad, it doesn't quite stand up to them.

On top of that, on a bright scene (more noticable) or your white home screen, does it look like there is a slight grainy/oily/spotty look to the screen. Almost like it's on the plastic covering the screen. Something a friend and I both noticed. It's not totally clean (for lack of a better term)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That sounds ideal. Just get the Pro Controller.

That's the plan. Not because of this though, as I don't really use the grip anyway (I really like the split Joycon setup), but because it's just a very nice controller (got to try one yesterday) and it would save me having to move the Joycon on and off the Switch all the time.

jblank83

Switch is so easy to just pick up and play. It's beautifully designed.

While the UI is lacking in features, it's so nice to just jump into a game, minimal loading.

Liking the system more and more as I use it.

KJA

Is any there way to disable news notifications for specific accounts?

I have one NA and one Japan account but I would like to disable notifications from the Japan account.

So I'm on day 8 and my Switch still isn't giving playtime hours in the profile. Shouldn't it be telling me how many hours I've put into Zelda by now? It just says "first played 8 days ago."

I posted in the other thread but no one responding. Is there a fix for this issue? I'm really dying to see how many hours I put into Zelda.

Is it a settings issue?

AEREC

Ive got a spare usb-C charger for an HP Tablet, anyone know if I can also use that to charge the Switch?

Output on the HP power adapter:

5V---2A or 12V----3A or 15V---3A

For reference here is the output on the adapter that came with the Switch:

5V---1.5A or 15V---2.6A

Im not too knowledgeable when it comes to power, but I just want to make sure it's not gonna fry the switch or anything.

oti

Banned

It's super pretty. Looks better than on my TV. In TV mode it looks pretty too though.

AEREC

Opposite for me, I think it looks quite good in portable mode given the hardware it's running on. It can be a little jaggy sometimes but Im still impressed that it can acheive these type of visuals on the go.

Ive only tried it once on my 1080p tv once and thought it looked worse blown up on the big screen.

cyba89

Also, to chime in on the screen quality talk. I'm in the camp that the screen is good, and that's about it. Compared to old Nintendo screens, it's fantastic, but compared to my Google pixel, my ks8000, or iPad, it doesn't quite stand up to them.

A Google Pixel is more than double the price though.

i'm finding the switch screen to be rather damn good so far and I say that as a nexus 6p owner, I can look at both at night and not feel like one is superior without thinking much into it, it's a different story when I was looking between my phone and the 2DS it was hard to adjust.

anddo0

Switch headphone volume- why isn't this being discussed?

It sounds paltry even compared to the DS4 headphone jack.
I've tried several different headphones and they all sound "quiet"

03sho

Can the console be turned off completely when docked? I can only find sleep mode option. When I'm sleep mode and docked will it charge the console and joycons?

Gray is still my choice, but yes, the neon is awesome looking. I wonder what other joycon colors will come in the future.

It's Nintendo so we will surely get yellow banana joycons with the next Donkey Kong game.

My console will be here monday. What do I need to know?

Should I fold a microfiber cloth over the dock to protect the screen?

I personally have yet to have a problem with the dock, just keep a check on the screen and make sure the dock stays dust free and you sould be good, and just be careful when docking honestly.

DavidDesu

Switch headphone volume- why isn't this being discussed?

It sounds paltry even compared to the DS4 headphone jack.
I've tried several different headphones and they all sound "quiet"

YES! A major issue. Even with earbuds the volume is simply too low. I really hope this is something they can fix and give it more oomph. People really need to start talking about this. It's barely good enough and that's sitting in my quiet bedroom. Must be awful if you actually use it on public transport or God forbid a plane.

sleepnaught

Here's my comparison.

http://imgur.com/a/iF8gV

TV settings for Samsung F5300.
Cell light: 20
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 49
Sharpness: 6
Color: 52
Tint: 50/50
Color Tone: Warm1
HDMI Black Level: Low (normal looks super washed out)
Dynamic Contrast: off
Black Tone: off
Color Space: Native
Gamma: -2

Kudo

Here's my comparison.

http://imgur.com/a/iF8gV

TV settings for Samsung F5300.
Cell light: 20
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 49
Sharpness: 6
Color: 52
Tint: 50/50
Color Tone: Warm1
HDMI Black Level: Low (normal looks super washed out)
Dynamic Contrast: off
Black Tone: off
Color Space: Native
Gamma: -2

Switch screen looks fine, your TV has really strong oversaturation though.
You've probably researched to come to that conclusion and if you like 'em that way, who am I to judge.

sleepnaught

Switch screen looks fine, your TV has really strong oversaturation though.
You've probably researched to come to that conclusion and if you like 'em that way, who am I to judge.

Those are pretty neutral settings on my TV, not sure how that's over saturation.

Kudo

Those are pretty neutral settings on my TV, not sure how that's over saturation.

It looks like that to me, here's settings RTings used for their TV.

Our calibration settings for the F5300: Picture Mode: Movie
Color Tone: Warm2
Cell Light: 20
Contrast: 93
Brightness: 45
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50
Gamma: 0
White Balance:
Red: Offset: 27 Gain: 25
Green: Offset: 26 Gain: 25
Blue: Offset: 24 Gain: 25

All processing settings turned off.

This will probably result in little less saturation but even more warmer image on TV, while Switch actually has more neutral/Cold colour temperature, so the difference between the two would be even bigger.

It's really up to what you prefer, movie industry standard is Warm colour which I personally think looks awful so I'm glad Nintendo decided to go with more neutral settings for the screen. For example if you decide to try your TV with Cold/Neutral Colour Tone setting it should look lot more like the Switch screen.

Kudo

Sleep mode charges console, joycons and all USB devices plugged in front of the system.
You can turn the system down by holding the physical button on Switch for three seconds, menu should appear giving you the option.

Vitacat

Anyone know of a good USB wall charger I should get for charging my switch using the USB to USB-C cable?

edit: I am using the RDS case and in the mesh pouch I have the joycons strays and a USB-C cable. I feel like its kinda bulky when I zip the case up. Do you guys think with how bulky it is, will it affect my switch?

Just be careful about how much pressure is on the screen when the case is closed and zipped up. I have that case as well, and it's superbly made and designed, but it's not meant to hold a lot of stuff. I only have the joycon straps in the mesh pocket. Not sure I'd put much more than that in there. I suspect you're OK with adding the cable, depending on how bulky it is when wound up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a good site to track games that are digital only, digital and physical, multi-lingual, etc?

I want to go mostly physical for the Switch, so I don't want to get a digital game if I can get it in physical form.

Xamdou

So are there really two types of screens on the switches? If yes can someone post a picture between the two so I can figure out which I have?

Kudo

So are there really two types of screens on the switches? If yes can someone post a picture between the two so I can figure out which I have?

Zy8TFLQ.jpg

Should check the whites on mine, played so much on dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom