• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITSMILNER

I'm in the UK, where is the best place to get the phyiscal launch edition of Binding of Isaac? Videogamesplus appear to have sold out

anddo0

YES! A major issue. Even with earbuds the volume is simply too low. I really hope this is something they can fix and give it more oomph. People really need to start talking about this. It's barely good enough and that's sitting in my quiet bedroom. Must be awful if you actually use it on public transport or God forbid a plane.

Yeah. It's very concerning.

I've been trying to see if others are having volume issues. But it seems there is no chatter about it.

Zy8TFLQ.jpg

So I have the top one then I think. That bottom one looks pretty warm. Seems like I may have lucked out?

This just aired on a big news channel from here (Argentina), thought it was really interesting since they don't really do news on videogames and Switch isn't even officially available in my country lol

It reads: "What does this new portable console have? // "Switch" reaches world record sales"

Kudo

So the top is IPS and the bottom is LCD?

Can't say for sure, I haven't seen them in person or read more about this, but it seems like the Colour Temperature can differ between the screens.
I hope they're all IPS and it's just panel settings that vary, people that get TN will not like the system, those viewing angles are criminal.

Xamdou

Can't say for sure, I haven't seen them in person or read more about this, but it seems like the Colour Temperature can differ between the screens.
I hope they're all IPS and it's just panel settings that vary, people that get TN will not like the system, those viewing angles are criminal.

I see... so my Switch screen is like the top picture you posted so it is the preferred one right?

DjRalford

Hmmmm

Fairly sure when I started playing on the TV docked today the switch had 72% battery, after 2.5hrs playing it's now on 68%.

Could it be because I was playing Zelda, charging the switch and had 2 joycon a attached to the console charging too?

Or maybe I'm just going crazy.

Okada

Your TV is way too warm and oversaturated IMO

Warm 1 usually isn't too warm. Industry standards would usually say its not warm enough if anything.

Definitely too saturated though.

Edit - Zelda is a more washed out looking game compared to most so I can see why some people would try and "fix" it though (like Ico/The Last Guardian).

I'd say there's probably a black level mismatch on that capture causing a lot of the problems as a result of trying to remove the washed out look.

If you changed the black level it would look like it does on the Switch screen.

AdanVC

This just aired on a big news channel from here (Argentina), thought it was really interesting since they don't really do news on videogames and Switch isn't even officially available in my country lol

It reads: "What does this new portable console have? // "Switch" reaches world record sales"

That's a pretty big deal then! I guess the Switch it's simply that attractive enough to talk about it even if the console hasn't launched officially on the country or it's expensive af like on every country in Latin America.

Thoraxes

Switch headphone volume- why isn't this being discussed?

It sounds paltry even compared to the DS4 headphone jack.
I've tried several different headphones and they all sound "quiet"
IDK when they changed the PS4 headphone jack volume, but sometime last year I found that the volume threshold is about the same as Switch now (PS4 used to be much louder for me). Maybe it's just the games I'm playing, but I feel like gae audio is too soft on all fronts from almost all devs.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why oh why doesn't the Eshop save my credit card details, really can't be bothered to type them in every time.

Even the Wii U and 3DS let you do that, it will be possible on Switch eventually. It is bizarre how basic the eShop is at the moment, it needs to be one of the first things they upgrade.

brad-t

I should be able to charge the Pro Controller using the USB ports on the dock, right? For some reason it doesn't charge, but just plugging it into an outlet charges it fine.

anddo0

IDK when they changed the PS4 headphone jack volume, but sometime last year I found that the volume threshold is about the same as Switch now (PS4 used to be much louder for me). Maybe it's just the games I'm playing, but I feel like gae audio is too soft on all fronts from almost all devs.

Just ran another test.. Connected the Switch directly to my Sony SRS-X33 BT speaker. The sound was tiny; Vita in compression was room filling while playing games like Cold Steel 2.

I'm curious to know what type of dac the Switch has. I'm going to guess it's weaker than your typical cellphone.

Just ran another test.. Connected the Switch directly to my Sony SRS-X33 BT speaker. The sound was tiny; Vita in compression was room filling while playing games like Cold Steel 2.

I'm curious to know what type of dac the Switch has. I'm going to guess it's weaker than your typical cellphone.
Audio sounds clean and good quality hooked up to a HD 598 C. I can't get it ear bleeding loud, but it gets quite loud.

SiDCrAzY

My right joy con is a bit creaky in handheld mode. Still works, but still disappointing. I might check with Nintendo if they can replace just the right one.

rdytoroll

Got my switch today and my unit has zero issues so far. Straight dock, wifi worked instantly, great screen, joy-cons work perfectly (even at 5 meters and behind back), kickstand doesn't kick open in handheld mode, the system recognizes inserted game cards instantly.

Though I never had any problems with any console or pc component, never had to send anything in for repair either. Guess I'm just lucky.

I love this system, coming from the 3DS to this in handheld mode... It's a different world

Chopini

Neo Member
My right joy con is a bit creaky in handheld mode. Still works, but still disappointing. I might check with Nintendo if they can replace just the right one.

Mine is also creaky so bad on the right especially bottom part. I can hardly play handheld mode now, it annoys me. Does your happen since day 1?

I'm about to replacing it maybe in a coming week.

Ricky 7

I've only docked my Switch once since I got it, been using it as a handheld 99% of the time. Playing in bed is too convenient.

Hitmeneer

After a week of using the Switch in handheld mode I wanted to try docked mode, but I don't get a signal. My main TV sees that something is connected to the HDMI but doesnt receive the signal (or to weak?). I tried it on my monitor and an old mini HDTV, but those both worked. Anyone got a clue what it might be with my main TV?

spekkeh

Banned
They're complying with international laws. Nobody is discussing it because it's sadly the same for all devices nowadays.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Did anyone pick up Soldam from the JP eShop? Seems pretty cool, and the music's great. Might be a pretty nifty hidden gem.

I love that the system is getting shit like this.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
What the fuck, different screen types? No way.

I haven't bought one yet but i'm really hoping this isn't true. If it is true wouldn't that require a different model number due to FCC regulations and such?

I'd be curious if people with the yellow screens and those with the vibrant screens have different model numbers.

Has anyone noticed when completely turning off their Switch and then turning it back on after a period of time that their console has more charge? I've noticed this consistently the past few times I've hand the unit in handheld mode and haven't seen this happen with any of my other smart devices.

Scrawnton

I really really want to play Blaster Master but I can't stop playing Zelda. I'm already on my second playthrough of Zelda and I can't rip myself from it.

Majine

Banned
I've only docked my Switch once since I got it, been using it as a handheld 99% of the time. Playing in bed is too convenient.

Same here.

Part of it is that I'm shocked at how good that screen is. I didn't think Nintendo would deliver, but hey, they did.

Savitar

Welph, tax refund got back.

Got Zelda, got a case for games, got the pro controller. Even ordered some tempered glass for the screen and plan to get a carrying case.

Guess I need to find the system.

Bit of a detail that.

But hey I'm getting a 256 card for it all.

SiDCrAzY

Mine is also creaky so bad on the right especially bottom part. I can hardly play handheld mode now, it annoys me. Does your happen since day 1?

I'm about to replacing it maybe in a coming week.

Yeah, mines doing it at the bottom part, too. Its not so bad that I can't play, at least not yet. It wasn't like this day 1, but it never felt as tight as the left one.

Camjo-Z

Did anyone pick up Soldam from the JP eShop? Seems pretty cool, and the music's great. Might be a pretty nifty hidden gem.

I love that the system is getting shit like this.

I was going to but they announced a localization so I'm holding off on it. Looks really fun though.

Anyone else thinks Zelda looks awful in portable mode? I think it's the screen fault, black levels are terrible and everything looks very jaggy and badly textured.
I have an old 42" 720p plasma and it looks absolutely stunning there. Why so much difference? Maybe I have a defective unit or there's a setting I've missed?
Can you post comparison photos? Or take a look at screenshots taken in both modes?

Moreche

I'm collecting my Switch on Monday and I'm wary of the left joycon issue.
What do I need to look for to see if it's faulty?

oti

Banned
I found a way to somewhat test out my Joy-Con wobbliness. Ordered a used pair from Amazon Warehouse. Have like 60 days or something to send them back if I don't like them. Of course they are used, so who knows, but better than nothing.

Anyone else thinks Zelda looks awful in portable mode? I think it's the screen fault, black levels are terrible and everything looks very jaggy and badly textured.
I have an old 42" 720p plasma and it looks absolutely stunning there. Why so much difference? Maybe I have a defective unit or there's a setting I've missed?

No, but plasmas generally have great black levels. Awful is not word I'd use.

//DEVIL//

So I have the top one then I think. That bottom one looks pretty warm. Seems like I may have lucked out?

I just checked mine. I have the top one. ( even though mine even look better than the one on top in terms of white. or maybe the same but camera picking up different color since its a picture)

I hope we don't get another IPS vs Tn screen bullshit

its worth noting that mine is also dead pixels / screen clouding / screen bleeding free too so I am super lucky ( even though at first I thought I have slight screen leak but no I don't lol )

Glix

Dont wanna start a new thread but i am amazed by sleep mode.

Close any suspended software and put on airplane mode and the thing uses close to zero power

bumpkin

Dont wanna start a new thread but i am amazed by sleep mode.

Close any suspended software and put on airplane mode and the thing uses close to zero power
I think someone posted that it consumes roughly 2% power over 24 hours in sleep mode. Much, much better than the 3DS. Although I suspect that's largely because it's not doing any local network communication at all times like Street Pass. Still solid though.

Kyzon

Just noticed my joycon has a crack on the right stick. Thought it was just kinda wiggly, then I look and a piece of the plastic is cracked and just falls off. I haven't dropped it and have only used it normally and put it in the Master Edition case when I travel.

This is no bueno.

It's on the base of the stick, the rounded part going into the joycon

17238266_10103125147386988_97775262_n.jpg

Edit: Aww booooooo. It now catches on that chip when I move the stick....

Kyzer

Banned
Having time of my life with zelda, but gotta poop. Undock switch and take it with me to toilet.

This is the greatest console of all time

psyfi

Banned
I was playing in bed last night, got cold, and decided to play under my blankets for a while, but after a while I realized the blankets were blocking the heat fan and the Switch was getting really hot. So be careful if you ever play in bed!

rSpooky

I finally ordered a screen protector.. all of them are on back order it seems. But I opted for tempered glass one instead of plastic film.
I also went ahead and ordered a warranty through Upsie as I someone suggest. Coverage seems great and less then $23 for 2 years.

Feels good to have some protection :)

Crayon

Portable gaming is back for me. Thank you detachable joycons. I never liked the portable console posture. My most used portable out of several over the years was the small ps1 with screen. Despite having no battery, it was worth finding and outlet and dealing with a corded controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom