• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
Question. I've got a 20 dollar eshop card and I'm looking to pick up two games. Out of the Neo Geo games, Shovel Knight, and Blaster Master Zero which two should I pick?

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment and Blaster Master Zero. The Neo Geo games currently seem to have washed out colors and some other issues from what I've read.

Blaster Master Zero looks to have a pixel scaling issue, but it doesn't seem pronounced enough for your average person to notice.

Naturally, these recommendations will change if you're not particularly fond of the genres these two games are largely based off.

Kinda random, but do we have any idea how Switch is doing in Japan? Is it capturing any of 3DS's and Vita's/Mobile market?

Attracting any lapsed fans back to console gaming?

Majine

Banned
Saw that the japanese Eshop has a demo for Puyo Puyo Tetris, nice to have something other than Zelda to fill up the home screen boxes /shrug

akileese

I was just thinking about this the other day, I doubt it will ever happen but it'd be great to see.

It might? Atlus isn't above remasters of games and it definitely seems like something they'd drop to get more sales. I'd love to play it in a portable way.

Majine

Banned
So...theres no limit on pictures right? Because I've now taken over 700 in BOTW lol. Its so easy I love it. Hope video recording is soon and it has direct upload to YouTube!

I wonder how video recording is gonna work.

Hope it can record in the background like PS4 and XBO does it, but I'm not holding my breath.

My Switch had about 56% charge on it when I left about 9:50 am, just got home to it and it was at 97%, will the Switch charge to 100% then power down and recharge throughout the day?

Plugged it back in and it is at 98% after a 20minutes.

linkboy

Question. I've got a 20 dollar eshop card and I'm looking to pick up two games. Out of the Neo Geo games, Shovel Knight, and Blaster Master Zero which two should I pick?

I'd hold off on Shovel Knight until you can get the treasure pack. It has all three games (plus the upcoming DLC for $25).

It's a much better buy then just Spectre Knight (since Spectre is included)

Unless you're going to grab the Treasure Trove "bundle" you should probably hold off on Shovel Knight Specter of Torment. It's an excellent game, but the full package has way more content and you'll get all the upcoming stuff for free.

I'm not sure if you have additional funds, since SK:TT is $25, but if $20 is your limit I think Specter of Torment and BMZ would be too much with tax, anyway.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
All stores are barren wastelands for new switch consoles, in just going to get a dreamcast at this point

Sega does what nintendont stock.

Are there any grips available for the Switch's handheld mode (think the Monster Hunter Generations trip)?

My hands are a bit big and they don't comfortably hold the Switch.

jwillenn

Ok dudes, so this is my freaking lunch break machine of forever. I have always just held it in handheld but I decided to play zelda in table top today and its actually increadible holding the joycons split off but the kickstand is bad. Zero angle adjustment. Not bad like Cnet complains about.

My question is, is the Hori stand the only way to go for a stand with angle adjustment? Any other suggestions?

Wii U Gamepad charging cradle
+
cloth to fill gap as a prop (folded to liking for ghetto method of angle adjustment)

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way for me to import a switch.

We have 220v 60Hz power here. I have a line on a Japanese Switch at a good price but I know they use 110v power. What is the power brick like on the switch? I talked to a guy who was running his switch off of a cheap ac travel adapter but I'm afraid that would fry the battery long-term.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment and Blaster Master Zero. The Neo Geo games currently seem to have washed out colors and some other issues from what I've read.

Blaster Master Zero looks to have a pixel scaling issue, but it doesn't seem pronounced enough for your average person to notice.

Naturally, these recommendations will change if you're not particularly fond of the genres these two games are largely based off.

Well damn. Was just about to ask if I should buy any or wait for Pocket Rumble

GDGF

Soothsayer
Thanks! I changed my mind and went with Metal Slug and Blaster Master Zero instead. Decided to grab the Shovel Knight bundle later.

beta_fuse

I'm legit concerned about the wifi strength of the Switch. I read today people are having wifi signal issues even at decently close range. I wanna play Smash and Mario Kart lag free:( Im currently sitting at 2 bars in the same place where my PS4 gets full bars. Anyone else worried this may be a problem?

Persona7

Banned
I'm legit concerned about the wifi strength of the Switch. I read today people are having wifi signal issues even at decently close range. I wanna play Smash and Mario Kart lag free:( Im currently sitting at 2 bars in the same place where my PS4 gets full bars. Anyone else worried this may be a problem?

What band are you connected to?

Jashobeam

is there a way to disable the prompt that asks which user is playing a game? Seems annoying and pointless when there is only 1 user registered on the system.

Soi-Fong

Is there a support number I can call regarding the Eshop. I have a pending charge on my card when I bought Metal Slug 3, but it's not showing up in my account. Granted I did get an error from the Eshop.

Just wanted to be sure before I buy the Eshop card(Gonna buy one for 50 bucks) that I can use it for the switch..also are the prices on the eshop the same as online(like for example..snipperclips) thanks :) I received my MicroSD card today so that is where these games are gonna go..anyone recommend some good Switch eshop games to buy?

_Clash_

Just wanted to be sure before I buy the Eshop card(Gonna buy one for 50 bucks) that I can use it for the switch..also are the prices on the eshop the same as online(like for example..snipperclips) thanks :) I received my MicroSD card today so that is where these games are gonna go..anyone recommend some good Switch eshop games to buy?

Binding of Isaac comes out in a week, got my eye on that. Snake pass looks good early April.

Snipperclips,shovel knight and blaster master zero look alright at launch. Metal slug too

Binding of Isaac comes out in a week, got my eye on that. Snake pass looks good early April.

Snipperclips,shovel knight and blaster master zero look alright at launch. Metal slug too

Thanks so much for the info..the Shovel Knight game, is that the Spector Of Torment the one I should get since Ive never purchased any shovel knight game before..Snake Pass looks great according to their web site it says March 28th release date so thats good..For the EShop card, is there anyplace I can get it to save a few bucks or is Target the best bet(Since I have the red card its 5 percent off) http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-eshop-50-email-delivery-/-/A-21409170 I assume that one will work just fine with the Switch and that the prices on the eshop match online prices like amazon(For Snipperclips)
I also purchased the LAN Adapter that one gets plugged in the back of the dock right? Still getting used to powering this thing off and on the whole sleep mode thing was irritating since it kept on switching HDMI's on my TV so I just keep it powered off..when its powered off it doesnt drain battery right? sorry for all the questions :)
Binding of Issac looks great but Im gonna get that on disc instead of digital

Crazyorloco

Dont wanna start a new thread but i am amazed by sleep mode.

Close any suspended software and put on airplane mode and the thing uses close to zero power

Woo yes! Sleep mode is so much better than the 3DS.

Even without my wifi on for street pass, it would die quickly (a day or two). I only lose a few percentages of battery life on the switch on sleep mode in a day (I didn't even try to turn off wifi, so I imagine I can get better life).

Speaking of sleep mode, I've so far just been using that and have yet to power it down. As with most hardware an occasional reboot is probably helpful. How often do you think it'd be good to do so?

_Clash_

Thanks so much for the info..the Shovel Knight game, is that the Spector Of Torment the one I should get since Ive never purchased any shovel knight game before..Snake Pass looks great according to their web site it says March 28th release date so thats good..For the EShop card, is there anyplace I can get it to save a few bucks or is Target the best bet(Since I have the red card its 5 percent off) http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-eshop-50-email-delivery-/-/A-21409170 I assume that one will work just fine with the Switch and that the prices on the eshop match online prices like amazon(For Snipperclips)
I also purchased the LAN Adapter that one gets plugged in the back of the dock right? Still getting used to powering this thing off and on the whole sleep mode thing was irritating since it kept on switching HDMI's on my TV so I just keep it powered off..when its powered off it doesnt drain battery right? sorry for all the questions :)
Binding of Issac looks great but Im gonna get that on disc instead of digital

It's going to start being common to cycle through store regions in search of the best deal, from my recollection eshop credit has region restrictions.

Are you able to buy a prepaid visa card maybe? (you can in my country)

Much more flexible

watershed

Banned
One of the best things about the Switch is that battery life hasn't been an issue for me even once so far. It charges fast and somehow, despite playing a ton of Zelda, battery life just hasn't gotten in the way of my gaming.

It's going to start being common to cycle through store regions in search of the best deal, from my recollection eshop credit has region restrictions.

Are you able to buy a prepaid visa card maybe? (you can in my country)

Much more flexible

Yeah I wont be purchasing games from other countries so will just stick with US releases..yeah I can buy a prepaid Visa but mind as well just get an Eshop card :) Can I use prepaid visa cards on the eshop I do have a prepaid card that I wont be using maybe I can use it on the eshop? With the Lan adapter, it goes in the back of the dock I just received mine today.
With the switch itself, is it better to power it off or keep it in safe mode(I powered it off completely because it kept on switching HDMI ports even when I wasn't using it, its a Samsung TV issue) since its powered off I assume it wont be draining the battery

Bookoo

What powerbanks are people using?

I have a AUKEY 10400mAh with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, but I was just reading that Qualcomm QC may not be good for the system. Anyone know if that is true?

TheWraith

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way for me to import a switch.

We have 220v 60Hz power here. I have a line on a Japanese Switch at a good price but I know they use 110v power. What is the power brick like on the switch? I talked to a guy who was running his switch off of a cheap ac travel adapter but I'm afraid that would fry the battery long-term.

I have a Japanese unit and the power adaptor takes anything from 100-220V. Nintendo finally seemed to realise people actually travel ! On holiday in 220v country at the moment and charged my Switch safely using the Japanese plug.

I think I read that after a week you will be able to see how long you've played your game. It's not showing me anything in my profile, just says first playe 8 days ago.

madmook

What powerbanks are people using?

I have a AUKEY 10400mAh with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, but I was just reading that Qualcomm QC may not be good for the system. Anyone know if that is true?
Switch cannot use Qualcomm Quick Charge because it does not have a Qualcomm chipset. You shouldn't plug Switch into QC ports, just regular USB or USB-C ports.

Is anyone else's right joycon a bit wobbly when attached to the tablet?

Like, if I hold the switch by the left side it's completely stable but if I noticed when holding it by the right side I could feel the joycon moving ever so slightly. So after testing things more it does seem like the right side one is just ever so.. wobbly? It's not terrible but a little weird that it's only on the right side. Anyone know if this is normal? I have the Neon.

Also, has anyone felt the joysticks doing a weird clicky thing? Can't really explain it but my right one has like this weird sticky clicky feeling to it sometimes when moving it. I can almost perfectly replicate it if I put my thumb over it and move it very gently from left to right or vice versa just a little bit.

Probably nothing horrible but thought Id' report/inquire about it.

watershed

Banned
I just realized that Level 5 has nothing for the Switch launch or early months. It's odd that Level 5, who have done so well on Nintendo platforms before, don't have anything at launch. Seems like a miss opportunity for a developer who is so often associated with Nintendo.

Coda

So I just got from home from PAX East. Had my Switch in my the car and it was freezing out, so the Switch itself was cold. Popped it in the dock and started playing Zelda and it's the first time I really heard the fan working. I was surprised given that the console was cold from being in my car. Once I paused the game it slowly stopped and I was surprised at how much air it seemed to be outputting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom