• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstevens

I'm sorta shocked about the radio silence on virtual console stuff.. old games would go a long ways towards supplementing the library once people start finishing Zelda.

Are there any battery life tests out there for fully charged Joy-Cons in the grip or free-hand? Nintendo claims 20 hours and I suspect that's correct but has anyone actually tested that estimate?

Firebrand

Anyone measured battery life with Flight Mode on/off? I remember the wi-fi being a drain on the 3DS's battery life, and here's bluetooth on top of that.

Was surprised joycons still work in Flight Mode, but maybe they're not bluetooth?

So I just got from home from PAX East. Had my Switch in my the car and it was freezing out, so the Switch itself was cold. Popped it in the dock and started playing Zelda and it's the first time I really heard the fan working. I was surprised given that the console was cold from being in my car. Once I paused the game it slowly stopped and I was surprised at how much air it seemed to be outputting.

It goes on from time to time when I'm playing Zelda at home, but it's very quiet. Might change over time, we'll see.

Totofogo

Neo Member
Is anyone else's right joycon a bit wobbly when attached to the tablet?

Like, if I hold the switch by the left side it's completely stable but if I noticed when holding it by the right side I could feel the joycon moving ever so slightly. So after testing things more it does seem like the right side one is just ever so.. wobbly? It's not terrible but a little weird that it's only on the right side. Anyone know if this is normal? I have the Neon.

Also, has anyone felt the joysticks doing a weird clicky thing? Can't really explain it but my right one has like this weird sticky clicky feeling to it sometimes when moving it. I can almost perfectly replicate it if I put my thumb over it and move it very gently from left to right or vice versa just a little bit.

Probably nothing horrible but thought Id' report/inquire about it.

My left one has the (slight) wiggle. Seems to be an issue with the joycon itself, and not the console.

AEREC

Like, if I hold the switch by the left side it's completely stable but if I noticed when holding it by the right side I could feel the joycon moving ever so slightly. So after testing things more it does seem like the right side one is just ever so.. wobbly? It's not terrible but a little weird that it's only on the right side. Anyone know if this is normal? I have the Neon.

Also, has anyone felt the joysticks doing a weird clicky thing? Can't really explain it but my right one has like this weird sticky clicky feeling to it sometimes when moving it. I can almost perfectly replicate it if I put my thumb over it and move it very gently from left to right or vice versa just a little bit.

I think mine is like this too.

Whenever I play a game with the little strap things on the Joy-Cons I feel like I'm holding what the Wii2's controller should have been.
T.T (what were you thinking 8th gen Nintendo?!)
Seriously though I'm glad they brought back sperated controllers as the standard for the console, it was one of the best aspects of the Wiimote and nunchuck.
Being able to play with your arms in any comfortable position you want.

Mark5130

So I just got from home from PAX East. Had my Switch in my the car and it was freezing out, so the Switch itself was cold. Popped it in the dock and started playing Zelda and it's the first time I really heard the fan working. I was surprised given that the console was cold from being in my car. Once I paused the game it slowly stopped and I was surprised at how much air it seemed to be outputting.

I heard the fan for the first time on my Switch last night after waking it from sleep mode. The fan was quite loud, and sounded like it was working hard, but only lasted maybe forty five seconds before quieting down.

Zalman

I just realized that Level 5 has nothing for the Switch launch or early months. It's odd that Level 5, who have done so well on Nintendo platforms before, don't have anything at launch. Seems like a miss opportunity for a developer who is so often associated with Nintendo.
I agree it's odd. I expected them to at least announce a Lady Layton port, but it sounds like that's not happening.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Btw, are the different Shovel Knight character campaigns any different from eachother or is everything exactly the same outside of the character you play?

Have a faint memory of trying Plague Knight at it seems everything was the same as the normal campaign, could be horribly wrong though.

I think mine is like this too.

Could just be a break in issue maybe? Just tried my friend's (brand new) right side joycon and it's completely firm. But if that's the case why is mine only like that on the right side? You would assume if it's break in related the left side would do it as well but that's not the case at all (at least for me).

Also don't notice that weird clicky noisy joystick thing on his - which again could just be a break in thing.. I hope.

How simple is it to set up your SD CARD? Would you need to format it first or will the system do it for you, and what class speed is recommended for the card?

Hmmm, just noticed the Y button of my right joy-con isn't as responsive as the others. Light presses do not register at all, it needs to be pressed harder. Surprised I didn't noticed it until now.

Might have to send it for repair.

How simple is it to set up your SD CARD? Would you need to format it first or will the system do it for you, and what class speed is recommended for the card?

Quite simple. Your console needs to be shutdown first before inserting the micro SD (or it'll prompt you to reboot). After that, go into system -> initialize, and format.

Firebrand

Seems pretty solid when attached to the tablet, however the right one keeps shifting slightly when in the Joycon Grip.

Haven't noticed anything odd about the sticks, other than that I have to press pretty damn hard to click them down :p Preferrable to the 360 pad ones where I keep clicking them by mistake during hectic´gameplay.

Coda

I heard the fan for the first time on my Switch last night after waking it from sleep mode. The fan was quite loud, and sounded like it was working hard, but only lasted maybe forty five seconds before quieting down.

Yeah it seems quite normal, my computer does the same thing from time to time but it was the first time I heard it since I've had it.

Are there any battery life tests out there for fully charged Joy-Cons in the grip or free-hand? Nintendo claims 20 hours and I suspect that's correct but has anyone actually tested that estimate?

I tested my pro controller and I got 43 hours in Zelda before the low battery indicator popped up. Havnt tested the joycons but Nintendo seems to lowball their battery life when it comes to controllers so I believe them when they say the joy cons have 20 hrs battery.

Rubixcuba

Banned
This is a really silly question, but if I take my Switch on an international flight - Will it charge via the USB ports on the chair? If not, what's a recommended battery to take on an international flight?

Quickest way to charge would be while playing a game I think, because I have it in standby mode for an hour or so and it only jumped 20 percent.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This is a really silly question, but if I take my Switch on an international flight - Will it charge via the USB ports on the chair? If not, what's a recommended battery to take on an international flight?

saw someone say on reddit yesterday that it charges if you don't play, but as soon as you start playing the power from the USB ports on a plane is not enough.

Anybody else having creaking on the system itself, not the joycon? When I press on the bottom left corner, right on the barcode, it creaks a little bit like plastic may be a little loose...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I have the slight wobble on the right side too, as have all the other people I know in RL that bought one. nothing bad tho, you can only see it when you look for it.. I thought it is because the plastic of the switch might expand when it gets hot, so there is some space it can expand into..lol probably a dumb thought.

sleepnaught

My right one is also slightly wobbly. Nothing that would bother me, though. Don't have the joystick problem.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, I went ahead and imported Puyo Puyo Tetris. It's such a good game, and I want to have it on the Switch... with the Japanese voices, because they add so much charm to it. Can't wait to get back into it.

Also totally forgot that Amazon.jp can ship to the US now. Ended up being like $46 all told.

1upsuper

Anyone notice their fan getting noisy in handheld mode? I've played Zelda off and on all day and after a point the fan started to get pretty loud. At first I thought I was near a waterfall. I thought maybe I had played for too long and needed to give my system a break, so I'm not playing right now. It sounds like a few others have noticed this. I really hope it's not something I need to worry about.

Machina

Banned
The more and more I play my Switch (flat on my back in bed, Pro Controller in hand with my Switch in a tablet bracket above me), the more I fall in love with it. Clearly there is a lot to improve on with its on board features, but at this point I am legitimately very excited to see where it's at by the time Mario Odyssey launches.

I dearly hope they really pull a Piranha out of a pipe with the paid online. Give us 2 classic VC games free to play every month ffs. One from NES and one from SNES to start with.

It's not asking much to make this console truly great.

HoTHiTTeR

Well, I went ahead and imported Puyo Puyo Tetris. It's such a good game, and I want to have it on the Switch... with the Japanese voices, because they add so much charm to it. Can't wait to get back into it.

Also totally forgot that Amazon.jp can ship to the US now. Ended up being like $46 all told.

Can you configure it to have English menus?

The Argus

Anyone notice their fan getting noisy in handheld mode? I've played Zelda off and on all day and after a point the fan started to get pretty loud. At first I thought I was near a waterfall. I thought maybe I had played for too long and needed to give my system a break, so I'm not playing right now. It sounds like a few others have noticed this. I really hope it's not something I need to worry about.

I haven't heard my fan once. Every now and then I play handheld and while I can feel air being pushed from the top, I can't hear it with the system's volume at medium and the general ambient sound of my co-op. At first I was worried it wasn't engaging the fan at all. Might just be luck of the draw, I have several computer fans that are silent and one that is the same make that isn't at all.

NimbusD

Whenever I play a game with the little strap things on the Joy-Cons I feel like I'm holding what the Wii2's controller should have been.
T.T (what were you thinking 8th gen Nintendo?!)
Seriously though I'm glad they brought back sperated controllers as the standard for the console, it was one of the best aspects of the Wiimote and nunchuck.
Being able to play with your arms in any comfortable position you want.
For real. I've only been using the pro controller because the larger sticks make it so much easier to aim.

I'd love it if they eventually release more fully featured joycons later on that may be a bit larger. Maybe a bit less portable, but useful for playing docked. That's be my dream.

Mrbob

I'm looking forward to when I can buy a left joycon with an actual dpad. The buttons are ok but I really need a dpad when I'm in portable mode.

Peterthumpa

I can't believe you have to wait till end of April for the next big title... this damn console is rushed!!!
Wow, 1 month. Such a long time. In between we have at least two "big" games coming, Snake Pass and Lego City Undercover. And that's besides the already well reviewed Snipperclips, Shovel Knight Trilogy, Fast RMX, all within a month and a few days after the release date.

You should look back to other console launches to refresh your mind a little.

sanstesy

I only hear it while charging and playing BOTW at the same time in portable mode.

Lucifon

Anyone else highly disappointed by HD Rumble? Just feels like a weak (occasionally annoying) buzz in the controllers. I have BOTW, RMX, Bomberman, and Skylanders. So admittedly yet to try it on 1-2 Switch. But for every other game it's just felt like a worse rumble effect...

Kyzon

I'd hold off on Shovel Knight until you can get the treasure pack. It has all three games (plus the upcoming DLC for $25).

It's a much better buy then just Spectre Knight (since Spectre is included)

Wait, so I wasn't supposed to buy both?

jts

...hate me...
Anyone else highly disappointed by HD Rumble? Just feels like a weak (occasionally annoying) buzz in the controllers. I have BOTW, RMX, Bomberman, and Skylanders. So admittedly yet to try it on 1-2 Switch. But for every other game it's just felt like a worse rumble effect...
Indeed it's not beefy as, say, GameCube controller rumble, but if offers a bit more depth and variety of rumbliness (?).

Kinda expected it from the Joycons being so tiny controllers though, but I wonder if in the Pro Controller it's any better?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder how video recording is gonna work.

Hope it can record in the background like PS4 and XBO does it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm guessing that as an nvidia SoC it has dedicated hardware for video encode. If they didn't disable that then the system should technically be able to record video without processing overhead. The question then becomes memory bandwidth (it doesn't seem to have much, so can it spare a bit for video?). I would guess writing on the SD card should be OK - there might be a limitation like you can't record onto SD if you're also playing from SD in case it impacts load times but hopefully not.

Lizardus

I think only RMX supports HD Rumble out of those, I could be wrong.

Blaster Master has good implementation of HD Rumble as well. Of course, not all developers will have output quality when it comes to HD Rumble.

I think there needs to be a PSA that not ALL games support HD Rumble.

Maengun1

I just finally got to try 1 2 Switch tonight, and the ball counting game legitimately is mind blowing. It feels like magic. I'm incredibly excited to see the tech hopefully put to similar amazing use in hopefully better games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom