• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I think Blaster Master Zero's HD Rumble is super annoying tbh. It's way too strong for a simple retro action game and feels like a gimmick being shown off rather than adding to the experience of playing it. Close to just turning it off.

MrGameBoy

How long does it takes to fully charge the Joy-Cons when docked to the console in sleep mode? Last time I seemingly got full charge after a few hours (taking around 20 hours to arrive at the low-battery notification). This time, after around 5 hours, I ended up two bars on the Joy-Con R and its having low battery power after 4 hours of playing Zelda.

tiijj

How long does it takes to fully charge the Joy-Cons when docked to the console in sleep mode? Last time I seemingly got full charge after a few hours (taking around 20 hours to arrive at the low-battery notification). This time, after around 5 hours, I ended up two bars on the Joy-Con R and its having low battery power after 4 hours of playing Zelda.

Charging time: About 3 hours and 30 minutes
※ attached to the body and Joy-Con charging grip.

One week on, maybe the honeymoon effect still applies - but I feel pretty confident in saying that the Switch pro controller is the best controller I've ever used.

I wish I could play Halo with this thing.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I was disappointed by HD rumble too. Not super disappointed, it's probably an improvement, but 'it feels just like marbles moving around in a box', er no it feels like a discrete motor turning on mimicking the feel.

As for honeymoon phase, I'm feeling an inverse honeymoon actually. Maybe it was all the scaremongering articles of the first few days, maybe it was the Spartan OS, maybe I just didn't really get it yet. But all the pent up hype just kind of deflated. Definitely getting addicted to Zelda helped big time, but as the feared problems stayed away, and as all the different use cases started opening up and slotting into my life, I'm starting to love this thing more and more with each passing game. I'm now much more in love than right after the wedding, so to say.

My wife is super into Horizon at the moment, as I was before the Switch arrived, but the difference in games is emblematic for the difference in consoles. Looking at it, it all feels so traditional and rigid. I will definitely go back to PS4 once I'm done with Zelda, to play Horizon, Nier, Mass Effect, Persona.. but at the same time I really want all these games to come out for Switch, visual hit or no, because the console fits much better into the dynamism of my 30+ lifestyle.

SomTervo

The only true HD rumble is 1 2 Switch's Ball Count game. It's pretty mind blowing.

No other rumble (yet) really captures what HD Rumble is all about. It's really cool.

This is a question I would like to know the answer to as well.

Confirmed : it works fine.

Sell your physical game, buy and download the digital version, immediately works perfectly.

Interfectum

I think Blaster Master Zero's HD Rumble is super annoying tbh. It's way too strong for a simple retro action game and feels like a gimmick being shown off rather than adding to the experience of playing it. Close to just turning it off.

Yup. It's also loud as hell if you are trying to sneak a game in bed.

AGoodODST

Welp that is my right joy con fucked.

It slipped from my hand when I was about to put it in the dock, fell about 5cm and landed on the right joy con which came off. Now it slides off super easily. As in I can make it slide off by putting a bit of extra pressure on the stick easily.

It's definitely the joy con as I can turn the left one backwards and it sits on the right rail fine.

Fuck :(

So looking at it seems the plastic that keeps it in place (you can see it next to the release switch) has a dent in it which means the lock doesn't hold as strong. Definitely my own fault for being clumsy but super disappointing a tiny fall broke it so easily.

Only put a few hours in Zelda in portable mode so far, and it's blowing me away. It's the most beautiful game I've seen.

Was playing on the tablet only. Just hooked up the dock to my 24" IPS computer monitor now and I thought it looked much worse than on the tablet screen. The game no longer looked magical. Will be interesting how I feel about a native 1080p game, but for now I'll be playing Zelda exclusively in portable mode.

An odd thing I noticed, the left Joycon seems to lose battery charge at a much faster rate than the right one (playing wireless)?

Had heard something about DLC being locked to account. If I buy Disgaea 5 Complete off the JP eShop, do I get access to all the DLC when playing on my main Western account or not?

Only put a few hours in Zelda in portable mode so far, and it's blowing me away. It's the most beautiful game I've seen.

Was playing on the tablet only. Just hooked up the dock to my 24" IPS computer monitor now and I thought it looked much worse than on the tablet screen. The game no longer looked magical. Will be interesting how I feel about a native 1080p game, but for now I'll be playing Zelda exclusively in portable mode.

On odd thing I noticed, the left Joycon seems to lose battery charge at a much faster rate than the right one (playing wireless)?
I've heard people say different things about tablet Vs screen. It must be display setting related. Game looks gorgeous on my Sony 1080p display, better than on the tablet imo.

I've heard people say different things about tablet Vs screen. It must be display setting related. Game looks gorgeous on my Sony 1080p display, better than on the tablet imo.

I tried both Full and Limited RGB settings, full looks better but still dull compared to the tablet screen. My monitor should be high quality, it's for professional photo and video editing, not necessarily ideal for gaming but can produce great, accurate colors and black levels, for an LCD. I'll try to tweak the calibration settings and see if I can improve it. I'm also curious how it would look in 720p non stretched mode, so avoiding upscaling.

Personal preference and viewing distance could play a role, too.

I don't have a TV but out of curiosity might try it on one of my family's TVs (they live a couple of floors down).

Ninja Dom

Anybody seen any other people with a Switch out & about?

I saw a guy on a London Underground tube train. He sat opposite me, reached into his coat inside pocket and pulled the Switch out. Grey, no case. I had mine on me in my bag. I wasn't playing it.

I can't play Switch on the train, I get too engrossed in Zelda and I'll miss my stop.

Shame Mario Kart 8 DX wasn't out, or I would have challenged that fella and beaten him.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I saw a guy on a London Underground tube train. He sat opposite me, reached into his coat inside pocket and pulled the Switch out. Grey, no case. I had mine on me in my bag. I wasn't playing it.

I can't play Switch on the train, I get too engrossed in Zelda and I'll miss my stop.

Shame Mario Kart 8 DX wasn't out, or I would have challenged that fella and beaten him.

I saw a guy on the L train with a Neon Switch here in NYC.

Ninja Dom

Can screenshots be saved/copied to the SD card? Is there a way to get them off the Switch without posting to social media?

Good question. I just asked this in the "portable console screenshot thread (3DS/Vita). That thread is now being used for Switch game screenshots.

I play mine all the time on the tube. The commute is my main gaming time nowadays, it's how I managed to finish persona 4 and xenoblade.
Haven't seen anyone else in the tube with one though

lenovox1

Anyone else highly disappointed by HD Rumble? Just feels like a weak (occasionally annoying) buzz in the controllers. I have BOTW, RMX, Bomberman, and Skylanders. So admittedly yet to try it on 1-2 Switch. But for every other game it's just felt like a worse rumble effect...

Of the games you own, only Fast RMX utilizes it.

Good question. I just asked this in the "portable console screenshot thread (3DS/Vita). That thread is now being used for Switch game screenshots.

To clarify, i think that thread is just screenshots when in Portable Mode (undocked). Docked mode goes into the other thread.

Rodin

Is there a way to choose where the games should be installed? I just noticed that Shovel Knight is on the Micro SD. Not that it bothers me too much, but i'd like to choose game for game.

What does it do?

sugarless

I have to say, my concerns about the non-D-pad buttons on the joy con were mostly unfounded. While I do prefer my Pro controller overall, I've had no issues whatsoever when I've played Shovel Knight in handheld mode. I've almost completed Specter of Torment and haven't been any worse at the game on handheld mode. It helps that the directional buttons are nice and clicky.

Obviously fighting game fans may still have concerns but it's really surprised me. I guess I should have trusted the inventors of the D-pad!

linkboy

Is there a way to choose where the games should be installed? I just noticed that Shovel Knight is on the Micro SD. Not that it bothers me too much, but i'd like to choose game for game.

No, the system will prioritize the SD card over the internal storage, so if you have an SD card, it'll use that up first.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I have to say, my concerns about the non-D-pad buttons on the joy con were mostly unfounded. While I do prefer my Pro controller overall, I've had no issues whatsoever when I've played Shovel Knight in handheld mode. I've almost completed Specter of Torment and haven't been any worse at the game on handheld mode. It helps that the directional buttons are nice and clicky.

Obviously fighting game fans may still have concerns but it's really surprised me. I guess I should have trusted the inventors of the D-pad!

yeah, it works great for SK - i'm really curious how it works for Pocket Rumble

Lucifon

I think only RMX supports HD Rumble out of those, I could be wrong.

Blaster Master has good implementation of HD Rumble as well. Of course, not all developers will have output quality when it comes to HD Rumble.

I think there needs to be a PSA that not ALL games support HD Rumble.

I know that Digital Foundry spoke about how great the implementation was in RMX but to me it just feels like a pretty crappy buzz. Right now I'd rather take normal rumble over that.

I just finally got to try 1 2 Switch tonight, and the ball counting game legitimately is mind blowing. It feels like magic. I'm incredibly excited to see the tech hopefully put to similar amazing use in hopefully better games.

That's really good to know. Hopefully can see better implementations.

I tried both Full and Limited RGB settings, full looks better but still dull compared to the tablet screen. My monitor should be high quality, it's for professional photo and video editing, not necessarily ideal for gaming but can produce great, accurate colors and black levels, for an LCD. I'll try to tweak the calibration settings and see if I can improve it. I'm also curious how it would look in 720p non stretched mode, so avoiding upscaling.

Personal preference and viewing distance could play a role, too.

I don't have a TV but out of curiosity might try it on one of my family's TVs (they live a couple of floors down).

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's a good monitor, but I mean, like, I spent quite a while finding the ideal settings for my tv for displaying movies. I think each display needs tweaking of features and settings like contrast and brightness.

Or, it could be that viewing distance, as you say, impacts it. I'll try it on my PC monitor at some point.

I've seen 4. I work at a community college so it makes sense why I would. They even had some amiibo too. A lot of people have showed interest when they see me with it too. Nintendo did well.

So true. I've been using the buttons for SK in handheld, and it's fine! I'm in the final stretch, so I've been able to get through nearly all of SK's campaign this way.

HF2014

Been wondering something. The Switch use the dock to recharge, but wondering if my cable and charger from my Ipad Air 2 can be use to charge into the wall power plug?

Edit. Its a lightnight port, but with an adaptor, could it work?

Been wondering something. The Switch use the dock to recharge, but wondering if my cable and charger from my Ipad Air 2 can be use to charge into the wall power plug?

Edit. Its a lightnight port, but with an adaptor, could it work?

No, it's USB C. You can get these anywhere. Just make sure it's a good one.

Just a heads up really with anybody with a similar issue.

I started to play in portable mode more towards the end of the week and it seems that like other mobile devices the Switch can suffer from inaccurate battery display. I played it earlier in the week and i got the expected battery life ( an hour left me with 64 odd percent which seemed right). However a couple of days ago i noticed that the Switch had gone down to 20% after an hour and a half which worried me a lot. This happened again on my next session. I also noticed that when i woke it up from sleep mode after a charge and leaving it undocked for a few hours the battery was 72% which instantly went up to 100% when i docked it. Weird!

So yesterday i tried playing it till my battery died out and after an hour and forty minutes i hit 1%. This can't be right eh? Turns out i ended up playing it on 1 percent for a further one hour and 10 minutes before i turned it off because i had to get ready for work. So the battery was fine, but the reading was wrong. I could have probably played a bit longer!

So i depleted the unit completely of charge , and recharged it, and played for 90 minutes last night and it left me with a 45% reading which seemed more accurate. It will probably take a few more cycles to get it properly right but if someone was having a similar issue, just try depleting the charge and charging it to 100%. Should fix it.

Having a look round the internet there is a couple of people with the same exact battery ratios depleting - 100-1% in approx one hour forty minutes, and a further 1hr 20 minutes playtime , so it seems it might be a software bug. Might let Nintendo know anyway but i don't think there is anything seriously wrong with the unit itself.

Huh. Add this to the pile of minor tech-related issues: My joycons inexplicably stopped working whenever I had them attached to the console in portable mode. They worked fine separated. Turns out that the little slide in/out animation that the switch has when you insert or remove the joycons is really helpful, as it was easy to discover that the left joycon was no longer being registered as inserting properly.

The joycons do not work if you have one inserted and one not -- I tried that a few days ago for kicks. Funnily, the +/- buttons still worked fine during this issue, and I almost went through the wizard to re-add the controller.
Luckily, in this case I just needed to press the sync button (between SL and SR) a couple times, and it's fine now. Don't know what caused it, though.

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there in case other people suddenly see this happening to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom