• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derder

Question about the Switch. I was mentioning to a friend of mine today that I would like to take the Switch with me on a long flight in the future. International airplanes now generally offer USB plugs so I plan to plug my Switch with that. My friend said though that he's heard from people that USB charging isn't fast enough or something for Switch as it draws too much power. Anybody here got experience with USB charging their Switch or taking one on flights?

This is likely true. I haven't tested it, but the Switch requires considerable power draw.

random25

Question about the Switch. I was mentioning to a friend of mine today that I would like to take the Switch with me on a long flight in the future. International airplanes now generally offer USB plugs so I plan to plug my Switch with that. My friend said though that he's heard from people that USB charging isn't fast enough or something for Switch as it draws too much power. Anybody here got experience with USB charging their Switch or taking one on flights?

It depends on the capacity of the USB charging ports on airplanes. A 10W charging port does the job but anything lower will really take quite a while. If you are charging while the device is in sleep it charges considerably faster than when the device is active.

krumble

There's a handful between now and end of April:

Retail:

Binding of Isaac
Has Been Heroes
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Digital:

Snake Pass
Pocket Rumble
Wonder boy: the dragons trap
Shakedown Hawaii
Mr Shifty

May have missed a couple.

I'll be buying 6-8 of these. Most of them at launch.

It's not exactly a drought like some people are crying about

These people mention the WiiU drought in comparison, they OBVIOUSLY didn't live through that troubled time, because that was literally a shitshow those first 6 months

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
It depends on the capacity of the USB charging ports on airplanes. A 10W charging port does the job but anything lower will really take quite a while. If you are charging while the device is in sleep it charges considerably faster than when the device is active.
I don't know what is the capacity of USB ports on airplanes but let's say it's less than 10W. That means it draws power more than it charges. I hope it still means it can last like 10 hours on flight because that's how long my flight will be :(

There's a handful between now and end of April:

Retail:

Binding of Isaac
Has Been Heroes
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Digital:

Snake Pass
Pocket Rumble
Wonder boy: the dragons trap
Shakedown Hawaii
Mr Shifty

May have missed a couple.

I'll be buying 6-8 of these. Most of them at launch.

I don't know about the other releases in May, but there's Disgaea 5 too. If that's up your alley, then that'll last you on average a few hundred hours.

EDIT: or buy it now in the JP eshop too I guess.

molnizzle

What nnarum said, you have to press and hold the Home button to wake the system on the Pro Controller.

I've done long holds, 3 short taps, tap and holds, basically everything. Sometimes any of them will work. Other times I'll have to press and hold and tap and hold and tap several times to get it to wake up. Crapshoot.

Kyzer

Banned
Just to make sure, the part between R and ZR on the neon controller is supposed to be slightly different tone of color right? Wanna make sure i didnt mess it up lol

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
How is I am Setsuna?

Can't wait for my Switch to come in this week!

Okay. This question has seriously been bugging me for the past day, but I can't find an answer.

What the heck is the hoop on the back of the Joy-Con grip for? I honestly can't think of a single use case for the thing, but it's there.

robotrock

Banned
Okay. This question has seriously been bugging me for the past day, but I can't find an answer.

What the heck is the hoop on the back of the Joy-Con grip for? I honestly can't think of a single use case for the thing, but it's there.

I made a necklace that loops through it, so I always have my Joy-Con grip with me. If you want I can link you my Etsy page and give you a NeoGAF discount.

jonno394

Where do you get this info from? I'm going to go as physical as possible on Switch, so I want to figure out what options are retail/digital.

Various press releases and the Nintendo Indies video.

I don't know about the other releases in May, but there's Disgaea 5 too. If that's up your alley, then that'll last you on average a few hundred hours.

EDIT: or buy it now in the JP eshop too I guess.

I only mentioned titles from Match and April. May is looking like having some decent stuff too: Disgaea 5, Street Fighter and Probably ARMS, Sonic Mania, Redout, Tumbleseed and a couple others too.

unrealist

If anyone cares, Romance of the Three Kingdoms is probably getting localized. The characters in Kanji means with "Power-up kit"

Source

romance-3-kingdoms-656x308.jpg

//ARCANUM

The handful of times I've flown to Japan, the USB port could barely charge my iPhone at a rate higher than I was draining it while use playing a movie. They are super low power. Definitely go with a high mAH battery.

goldenpp72

why four pro controllers?

Since some titles are 8 players, and we have people who at times play 8 players with us, we wanted everyone to have the means to have a 'full' controller, so 4 pro pads and 4 sets of joy cons (with 4 grips total) led to that more or less.

The pro pads were bought on sale at least, as I would not have spent 70 on them.

robotrock

Banned
Since some titles are 8 players, and we have people who at times play 8 players with us, we wanted everyone to have the means to have a 'full' controller, so 4 pro pads and 4 sets of joy cons (with 4 grips total) led to that more or less.

The pro pads were bought on sale at least, as I would not have spent 70 on them.

Ah yeah okay, I'm seeing some sense now. Was doing a lot of math in my head trying to figure out exactly how many grips you had for the joycons and totally forgot the Switch includes one.

16BitNova

So I bought the Switch and made a "Nintendo Account" to buy and play Fast RMX. Now I also bought a Wii U cause I've gotten into a Nintendo kick. I went to play Splatoon and it says I need a "Nintendo Network ID". So is this not the same thing? I tried connecting this "NNID" which I thought was what my Nintendo Account was since thats how I can play online on my Switch with, but its not working. Is there anyway to link these two to have one unified thing going between my Wii U and Switch?

goldenpp72

Ah yeah okay, I'm seeing some sense now. Was doing a lot of math in my head trying to figure out exactly how many grips you had for the joycons and totally forgot the Switch includes one.

I tried to make a lot of logic choices when picking out the stuff, the switches come with 2 'non charging' grips, but we bought a separate thing that charges 4 joycons at once but isn't out yet, along with having the Switch docks set up in 2 rooms and made sure there were 2 red, 2 blue and 4 grey, and so forth. It was fun but expensive, but using the visa checkout knocked off a lot of the cost, and I knew i'd never wanna eat the cost post launch hype :p

Dominator

Just had a weird thing happen where I wanted to go to the home screen while playing Zelda to quit for the night, and the button just didn't do anything. Then I clicked the power button to go into sleep mode and that button also did nothing. Then I held the power button until the menu pops up for sleep settings and power settings, but I was still controlling the game and couldn't move through the settings in front of me. I was moving Link around behind the menu.

I had to hold it until it powered down. I hate doing that but I didn't have any other option.

robotrock

Banned
So I bought the Switch and made a "Nintendo Account" to buy and play Fast RMX. Now I also bought a Wii U cause I've gotten into a Nintendo kick. I went to play Splatoon and it says I need a "Nintendo Network ID". So is this not the same thing? I tried connecting this "NNID" which I thought was what my Nintendo Account was since thats how I can play online on my Switch with, but its not working. Is there anyway to link these two to have one unified thing going between my Wii U and Switch?

You should be able to link your NNID and Nintendo Account over at https://accounts.nintendo.com/

She asked if the next Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon games were scheduled for it, and I said 'probably', so here's hoping :p

There is that Stardew Valley!

M_A_C

I love all the sound effects the system has. It's not just like 3 sounds for everything but probably 20-40 system wide which is really cool. It all feels very Nintendo while still being modern.

Came to say that I really love all the system UI sounds. I hope someone makes a Windows 10 theme with them in there.

Miyahon

First time experiencing the disconnecting joy con earlier.

I was playing Zelda when I noticed the left analog stick wouldn't respond sometimes when I tried to move.

Eventually I realized my leg was the culprit even though I'm only 3 feet from the console that is docked.

There was no prompt saying it disconnected but I could recreate it multiple times.

Does anyone know if the Pro controller has better range?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

NNID and Nintendo Account are two different accounts. NNID was used for Wii U and later for 3ds. You need to create one (you can do it directly from Wii U) and then you can also link it with you Nintendo Account at https://accounts.nintendo.com/.

But you can use just the NNID on Wii U.

Sporad

Neo Member
Feel like I might have a faulty switch. Home button on my right joycon works fine when on the grip or loose, but when connected to the unit if I press Home it disconnects the right joycon completely. Other buttons above it work ok.

Anyone else have this or am I unlucky?

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm saddened by the damn lack of headphone jack on n the pro controller. What are some solid Bluetooth headphones that don't cost an arm and a leg

I'm saddened by the damn lack of headphone jack on n the pro controller. What are some solid Bluetooth headphones that don't cost an arm and a leg

Lack of headphone jack is bugging me too, always use my headset on PS4 and Xbone.

Only solution I can see is to buy a long 3.5mm cable that will reach from my Switch to the sofa.

Vitacat

Lack of headphone jack is bugging me too, always use my headset on PS4 and Xbone.

Only solution I can see is to buy a long 3.5mm cable that will reach from my Switch to the sofa.

I have to admit, much as I love the Switch and its Pro controller, lack of headphone support is unfortunate. BT headphones really should've been supported, at least in TV mode where you're far away from the screen. Maybe a future version of the Switch will add it.

For me personally, it's not a big deal, but I can see how people who need to keep noise down and want to play on TV would be really annoyed.

Darkone

received my spain Amazon order an hour ago at work, sigh, this is going to be a looong day.

Awesome to get on the hype train :).

dolabla

Is there not a way to completely turn off the system with the pro controller while in dock mode?

Can you even do it all if you press and hold down the power button on the actual Switch while docked?

Or is it all just sleep mode?

ryushe

I have to admit, much as I love the Switch and its Pro controller, lack of headphone support is unfortunate. BT headphones really should've been supported, at least in TV mode where you're far away from the screen. Maybe a future version of the Switch will add it.

For me personally, it's not a big deal, but I can see how people who need to keep noise down and want to play on TV would be really annoyed.
It's a huge deal for me and honestly the only thing I really dislike about the Switch.

Charging needs at least 5V at 2A. Charging Switch in my car with a simple USB plug for the "cigarette lighter" socket.

It is a very strange decision, like they expected people to only want to use headphones when playing portable.

I especially like to use my headset at night when my wife and son are in bed.

anddo0

My niece's switch pre order never shipped, and with stores telling me "check at the end of the month" I'm of a mind to just give her mine and then play Yakuza 0/Persona 5 until June.

I'm just 100% boned regarding my Zelda save if I do this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom