• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

F34R

I am so excited for more JRPG games for handheld mode. Shin Megani Tensei is a big win! Dragon Quesf will be great! Hell, I'm hoping for yet ANOTHER Chrono Trigger port, because it'd look beautiful on this screen.

Fingers crossed we get plenty of GBA & SNES virtual console stuff, and then lots of Vita market JRPG titles. Big and small studios alike.

Oh and Skies of Arcadia...

(I'm crazy about this console and how fun Zelda has been as a handheld. My girlfriend and I just double screen with late nigh television on the big screen and Zelda on the tablet. Brought me back to the handheld market!!)

As long as I don't have to purchase them again, after getting them on the 3ds or Wii U.

Kinsei

Banned
My right joycon is acting up today. It somehow completely desynced from the Switch overnight and then when I finished my play session the home button wouldn't work. Anyone else have these issue?

hoserx

Can anyone explain this meme to me? Coworker and I are dumbfounded. haha

5be.jpg

My Switch is arriving at my home today. How do I know if my dock is one of the faulty ones (I mean, if it scratches the screen)? And if it is, what's the best solution?

sirap

My Switch is arriving at my home today. How do I know if my dock is one of the faulty ones (I mean, if it scratches the screen)? And if it is, what's the best solution?

Check if the front panel (the one that will slide against your screen) is bent inwards. If it is, leave something thick like a book or NES cartridge inside the dock overnight to widen the gap. Some have even used hair-dryers to heat up the plastic to make it more malleable.

Don't worry about damaging the dock, both panels are useless hunks of plastic.

Check if the front panel (the one that will slide against your screen) is bent inwards. If it is, leave something thick like a book or NES cartridge inside the dock overnight to widen the gap. Some have even used hair-dryers to heat up the plastic to make it more malleable.

Don't worry about damaging the dock, both panels are useless hunks of plastic.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check this as soon as it arrives.

Speaking of the dock scratching. I put my Switch in it one time only, and it left permanent marks on the bottom corners of the black bezel. Good thing I had a (plastic film) screen protector on.

Seeing as how the scratches happen at the bottom, I'm not sure how much trying to widen the gap with a book or something would help, since the bottom part is the least likely to be affected by trying to bend it. Have people had success with that and it completely stopped scraping?

Busaiku

Well, just had the system freeze/crash on me yesterday.

Was playing Breath of the Wild when the Home and Power buttons were kind of unresponsive. I could still move around in game, but couldn't go back to the Home screen. Holding the Home button pulled up the Power Options, but I couldn't confirm any options there. The buttons were still responsive, I was doing attacks/jumps in game, but I couldn't use the main UI. Held onto the Power button for a while and that opened up another Power Options menu which then prevented me from doing anything in game. I was getting worried because couldn't find a way to exit the game/enter Sleep. I held onto the Power button for a minute and it crashed the game (music was still playing all the time prior to this), and finally restarted the system.

Ugh, I thought I got one of the good units too...

Was playing Breath of the Wild when the Home and Power buttons were kind of unresponsive. I could still move around in game, but couldn't go back to the Home screen. Holding the Home button pulled up the Power Options, but I couldn't confirm any options there. The buttons were still responsive, I was doing attacks/jumps in game, but I couldn't use the main UI. Held onto the Power button for a while and that opened up another Power Options menu which then prevented me from doing anything in game. I was getting worried because couldn't find a way to exit the game/enter Sleep. I held onto the Power button for a minute and it crashed the game (music was still playing all the time prior to this), and finally restarted the system.

That doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me. Probably a rare-occuring bug that will probably be ironed out in a future system update or game patch.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening to you.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
That doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me. Probably a rare-occuring bug that will probably be ironed out in a future system update or game patch.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening to you.

Yeah, I had a hard lock the day after launch when I tried to launch 1 2 Switch while Snipperclips was suspended. It's probably just OS bugs, it'll be ironed out.

I have Breath of the Wild for Switch now...if only I had a system to play it on...lol

(got a good price for the game so went ahead and got it instead of paying full price)

hopefully it won't be too long until I can get one but won't be paying scalper prices

I had something similar same happen to me just now, though I didn't try holding the home button. I did notice that the screen cap button did nothing in this situation. Furthermore when I undocked the device it became completely unresponsive which, I assume, is because it was trying to show the "choose you controller" screen but couldn't.

I'm pretty sure it's an OS bug.

I'm curious. The heat vent at the top of the Switch is pretty large. Are there any protections inside to prevent damage to the circuit board if something gets in, say a single drop of water?

It feels like a huge vulnerability, especially being at the top of the device.

llehuty

Hmmmm, I got into a really weird bug. I left Zelda on sleep mode yesterday, now I come back to it, and I can't exit the game. Home button doesn't trigger the menu, holding the home button for a while, releases the side menu but I can't interact with it (I can control the game while the menu is out)

Holding power button triggers the power offmenu, but again, can'interact with it. Any way of switching off the console with an alternative method? Has this been reported? I can make a video and upload it to youtube if needed.

F34R

Hmmmm, I got into a really weird bug. I left Zelda on sleep mode yesterday, now I come back to it, and I can't exit the game. Home button doesn't trigger the menu, holding the home button for a while, releases the side menu but I can't interact with it (I can control the game while the menu is out)

Holding power button triggers the power offmenu, but again, can'interact with it. Any way of switching off the console with an alternative method? Has this been reported? I can make a video and upload it to youtube if needed.

It should power down if you hold the power button for a certain length of time. Just keep it held down until...

Dinjoralo

Hmm... Does anyone else's switch have the back panel a bit loose near the power/volume buttons? That's something I noticed, playing it undocked between classes today.

Vaev

Would you recommend it?

For 8 bucks, I would although it's not perfect. Looks like there are some emu issues, and some FPS chugging when there's a lot of effects going on. Playing 2 player with the Joy-Cons is still fun and didn't hamper us having a good time with it. There are alot of configuration options too which is nice to really get the game to look/play how you want it too.

I've also heard there's an update coming out that will improve the performance.

Wikzo

Excact same thing happened to me today while swimming in a waterfall. I was trying to capture a screenshot (via Pro Controller), but the button didn't work. Then I tried the Home button, but nothing happened. All other buttons seemed to work. To check if it had something to do with the controller, I pulled the Switch out of its dock, but then none of the buttons worked anymore. Put it in/out of the dock multiple times. Only the volume buttons appeared to be working. Held the power button for a while until the system turned off. Afterwards it seemed to work just fine. I checked the Switch OS error log, which had an entry saying something about "losing wireless connection".

Sh0k

Quick question, I'm trading my grey JoyCons to Gamestop for a couple of Neon red. Do I need to de-activate the JoyCons from the console or is just a matter of taking them out and synching the new ones?

By the way Gamestop is running a trade promo that they give you an extra 50% for trading games or accessories towards a Switch or new Switch accessory, with the promo they are giving me around $70. for the grey JoyCons, leaving a difference of around $10. for the Neon red.

Quick question, I'm trading my grey JoyCons to Gamestop for a couple of Neon red. Do I need to de-activate the JoyCons from the console or is just a matter of taking them out and synching the new ones?

By the way Gamestop is running a trade promo that they give you an extra 50% for trading games or accessories towards a Switch or new Switch accessory, with the promo they are giving me around $70. for the grey JoyCons, leaving a difference of around $10. for the Neon red.

I think you can just take them. There is nothing that needs to be done.

RobbieNick

Same thing happened to me last night. What a quality system. Totally not rushed to market to make fiscal quarter at all.

Wikzo

I have a theory that the crashes/freezes that people have experienced might be due to the 10-day-activity unlock. I checked my activity for Zelda today ("9 days since first played"), then played it for a bit, when it suddenly froze. After having rebooted, I checked the activity again, which now says "35 hours".

Peltz

Man, it would be really great if we could do video recording via the capture button. Lots of times in Zelda where I really wish I could save a clip.

Probably never going to happen considering the hardware and its portable nature, but one can still dream.

I agree. So many great Zelda moments are lost.

It's coming in the future though. Nintendo confirmed video recording will be coming for the share button.

Just checked into a hotel where I'll be at a conference for a few days and can confirm the Switch is a wonderful system to bring on the road.

Just set it up on the desk and popped the joycons off, it's a perfect fit for this situation.

Now if only it had some VC games or the Neo Geo ports weren't shit...A man can't live off Zelda alone. Tempted by Blaster Master but I want something with ZERO exploration as a counter balance to Zelda.

Say what you will about Joycons in grip, but after playing all week on it, going back to a regular sized controller is fucking WEIRD.

My 360 pad I use for couch PC gaming feels MASSIVE and ungainly.

Just checked into a hotel where I'll be at a conference for a few days and can confirm the Switch is a wonderful system to bring on the road.

Just set it up on the desk and popped the joycons off, it's a perfect fit for this situation.

Now if only it had some VC games or the Neo Geo ports weren't shit...A man can't live off Zelda alone. Tempted by Blaster Master but I want something with ZERO exploration as a counter balance to Zelda.

If you don't already own them, I recommend:

Disgaea 5
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight

Feeroper

I just got myself a new 128 gb micro SDXC card for my Switch.

Do I need to format the card to any specification out of the box before I put it into the Switch or does the Switch do that itself? I tried to google an answer to this but I cant find it with the limited content I can access from work.

Peltz

Fast Racing RMX is amazing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Does my nintendo stuff not work for switch yet?

Do you like music games, Voez is excelent 100+ songs and free updates in the future

Some gameplay of how tough it can get

Fast RMX is great as well

tesqui

Say what you will about Joycons in grip, but after playing all week on it, going back to a regular sized controller is fucking WEIRD.

My 360 pad I use for couch PC gaming feels MASSIVE and ungainly.

Yeah, the Joycon grip is great. Glad I like it so I don't have to fork over 70 for a pro controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom