• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering..is it better to have the console(When docked since mine is always docked) on sleep mode or powered off completely..I have both my pro controller and joycons both paired with the console. I notice if I turn on the console using the pro controller..when I go to controller setting it only shows the pro controller..is that how it works..if I use the joycons to turn it on that is what will appear and vise versa. I guess Im a always powered off kind of gal when Im not playing a game but if its better to keep it on sleep mode that is what I will do just dont want it to overheat

I always turned off my 3DS when done playing for the day, but I'm not turning my Switch off at all. Always sleep mode. And I don't dock it at all.

Okay, so why exactly did I skip this Fast game on Wii U? Fast RMX is fucking incredible. Played alone and with a friend, had a fucking blast today.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sigh, I thought I had somehow dodged the Joycon connection issue, but today it started happening. Link suddenly becoming unresponsive if my leg is in the way, etc. And I sit like 1 meter from the Switch. So weird that I haven't noticed anything like this in over a week, and then suddenly there it is. Crap.

I kept thinking my Switch was glitching out every time I tried to close a game on the home screen. It would just restart the game. Turns out I was pressing Y thinking I was pressing X because I'm used to everything being ABXY instead of BAYX. So it was trying to switch users, but since I'm the only user, it'd just start right back up.

I feel dumb.

ColdPizza

Banned
Been really digging how when I power up the Switch it auto changes the input on the TV for me. Now only if it could change it back on sleep mode.

I always turned off my 3DS when done playing for the day, but I'm not turning my Switch off at all. Always sleep mode. And I don't dock it at all.

I keep mine always docked I just figured maybe it was easier to keep it on sleep mode so I can always turn it on..I just don't want to consume so much energy..I assume its less energy than when you keep your computer on sleep mode..also worried about it overheating and catching fire(I know, its crazy but you hear stories) I know many people who keep their PS4 on rest mode and other consoles on I guess Im like this, if Im not using it I turn it off but if its better to keep it on sleep mode that is how I will do it
The joycons are on the grip right now..so does it drain power when not in use? When I turn on the console using the pro controller only the pro controller shows up under "controllers" is that how it works..whatever you use to turn it on that is what will appear?

Just finished Blaster Master.

Pocket Rumble where are you???? The one other game I'm really excited to play, lol. That and the Splatoon 2 beta.

The Wiimote was a gimmick and had very few gameplay applications I found interesting or appealing. There were plenty of good Wii games, but few that were made better by the controller. I feel similar about the Wii U: I loved the system, but rarely because of the gamepad.

But holy fuck I am totally, entirely, officially won over by the Switch mechanic. I'm playing Zelda on the TV, and my wife wants to use the den, so I put down my pro controller, pick up the switch, and play on the bed. Or I don't quite finish my session on my commute home from work, so I dock the system, pick up the controller, and play from the couch. It's unreal. I can still barely believe how seamless it is.

Nintendo is a company that recently has made more stupid decisions than good ones. But the Switch is (at least for my needs and purposes) and unqualified masterpiece of hardware. I have no idea whether it'll sell, but it deserves to. It's fucking fantastic.

Hellshy.

Can someone tell me if they have ever experienced any odd control issues? I am about 2 hrs into Zelda and using a pro controller. I lose all functions of right anolog stick and linkwill walk on his own without me using the left analog stick. If i move the left stick he will turn but still move on his own. It has only happened twice and has lasted about 20 seconds. I don't know at this point if it's a game issue or controller issue

Coffinhal

Fuck this shitty screen, now I got two little and noticeable blue zones on my screen. I put the Switch in a case and in my bag, facing outside, no shock or whatever, I just walked 10 min and now that???

Screen protectors are unavailable everywhere so there's that too

I'm going to try to get a new one at the store but that's 15h+ into Zelda lost

When the Switch is docked, and I have headphones plugged into the 3.5 jack, does it still output the game sound? I really dont sit far from my consoles.

Ninja Dom

Can someone tell me if they have ever experienced any odd control issues? I am about 2 hrs into Zelda and using a pro controller. I lose all functions of right anolog stick and linkwill walk on his own without me using the left analog stick. If i move the left stick he will turn but still move on his own. It has only happened twice and has lasted about 20 seconds. I don't know at this point if it's a game issue or controller issue

Sounds odd. I've done several hours with the Pro Controller and Zelda and it's been perfect. Unsync the Pro Controller and re-sync it by connecting it to the USB port of your Dock and see.

Is Shovel Knight really worth it if I already have it on Wii U and I thought it was a 7/10 game?

Finally get to enjoy docked mode, and nunchuck mode is my favorite way to play. I know people are raving about the Pro controller, but man, being able to sit with my arms in a natural position (I often sit with my arms crossed at the wrist) feels so damn good. I've been getting by in Zelda just fine that way.

Hellshy.

Sounds odd. I've done several hours with the Pro Controller and Zelda and it's been perfect. Unsync the Pro Controller and re-sync it by connecting it to the USB port of your Dock and see.

Is Shovel Knight really worth it if I already have it on Wii U and I thought it was a 7/10 game?

I will try that. I have only been playing in tablet mode. Used the joy cons a bit and didn't notice this issue so I'm concerned something's wrong with my pro controller

Sigh, I thought I had somehow dodged the Joycon connection issue, but today it started happening. Link suddenly becoming unresponsive if my leg is in the way, etc. And I sit like 1 meter from the Switch. So weird that I haven't noticed anything like this in over a week, and then suddenly there it is. Crap.

Same thing happened to me and it's from the extra neon joycons that I bought for aesthetic reasons. So now a guilty purchase has turned into a stupid one.

Shahadan

It was funny to see someone impressed by the mode switching today. It had zero effect on me since I had a Wii U and tbh I miss switching to off tv play without moving my ass to pick the console up ;(

akileese

So funny you should bring this up. I had an issue with my pro controller completely 100 percent desyncing. First time for me in about 20 hours. Luckily I was in a safe town and after about...15 seconds the sync notification came up and it worked fine.

KAL2006

Banned
The Wiimote was a gimmick and had very few gameplay applications I found interesting or appealing. There were plenty of good Wii games, but few that were made better by the controller. I feel similar about the Wii U: I loved the system, but rarely because of the gamepad.

But holy fuck I am totally, entirely, officially won over by the Switch mechanic. I'm playing Zelda on the TV, and my wife wants to use the den, so I put down my pro controller, pick up the switch, and play on the bed. Or I don't quite finish my session on my commute home from work, so I dock the system, pick up the controller, and play from the couch. It's unreal. I can still barely believe how seamless it is.

Nintendo is a company that recently has made more stupid decisions than good ones. But the Switch is (at least for my needs and purposes) and unqualified masterpiece of hardware. I have no idea whether it'll sell, but it deserves to. It's fucking fantastic.

Stories like this makes me happy.

While Switch probably won't suit my lifestyle like yours. As i drive to work and back. And have enough TVs in the house. However i like the option. I know for certain it will be a requirement in my lifestyle sooner when my girlfriend moves in. Also weekends i have my nephew's come round and they are loud and take over the lounge. And when i live with my girlfriend i don't think i would be able to get game much on the bedroom TV so just putting on some earphones and playing undocked would do the trick. Don't get me started if i plan to have kids how useful it would be.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Why the holy hell are there no travel cases for Nintendos new portable console in stores anywhere?

Getting on a flight tommorow and sweating it a bit by probably taking the joycons off and putting the screen in a sock.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
It was funny to see someone impressed by the mode switching today. It had zero effect on me since I had a Wii U and tbh I miss switching to off tv play without moving my ass to pick the console up ;(

This is so much more seamless though, and I don't have to sit "just right" on my bed to not lose connection.

1upsuper

Played Zelda undocked for about three hours and at one point the fan got loud for a couple minutes and then it got quiet again to where I could only hear it if I muted and got real close. I'm gonna stop worrying about it and just assume it's normal behavior.

This dynamic existed on the Wii U as well, albeit far more limited as the gamepad was tethered to the console. The Switch in that regard is 'off-tv' gameplay done right.

Eggiem

Played Zelda undocked for about three hours and at one point the fan got loud for a couple minutes and then it got quiet again to where I could only hear it if I muted and got real close. I'm gonna stop worrying about it and just assume it's normal behavior.

My fan only gets louder when I start the game. After 60secs its (whisper) silent.

Jashobeam

So apparently there is a physical version of "Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna (I am Setuna)" and it has full English translation. I just imported it from cdjapan, cheapest I could find it. I wonder why SE didn't have physical over here for launch, seems like it would have sold well.

Why the holy hell are there no travel cases for Nintendos new portable console in stores anywhere?

Getting on a flight tommorow and sweating it a bit by probably taking the joycons off and putting the screen in a sock.

In this situation, I'd just go the resourceful route and just wrap it in bubble wrap.

Goddamn, docking and then grabbing it for on the go gaming is such a sublime experience. Amazing

It REALLY is. I have marveled at it every time I've gone to pick it up and move to my bedroom or stashed it in my bag and resumed while I had a quiet moment at work. It's so fucking good.

For all of the shortcomings that could be rallied against it, the magic is real.

Eggiem

Do you ever play for long stretches? I really hope nothing's wrong with my system.

I played 12 hours in docked mode last Saturday + 3 hours or more in handheld mode. Fan was always quiet. Just calm down and enjoy the game! I'm sure there is nothing wrong with your system.

1upsuper

I played 12 hours in docked mode last Saturday + 3 hours or more in handheld mode. Fan was always quiet. Just calm down and enjoy the game! I'm sure there is nothing wrong with your system.
Haha, thank you. I tend to get paranoid about this sort of thing. I'll chill.

Kyzer

Banned
Just to make sure, the part between R and ZR on the neon controller is supposed to be slightly different tone of color right? Wanna make sure i didnt mess it up lol

Of all the ports, I think we need a Shantae one!

Give us a collection pack or something, I know they're all on Wii U but I want to play it with my Switch Pro Controller! It's sooo good lol.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The central mechanic isn't just cool, it will be used in nearly every single game. I want to play everything on the Switch because using the system is such a joy and comes with such a massive advantage.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's a handful between now and end of April:

Retail:

Binding of Isaac
Has Been Heroes
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Digital:

Snake Pass
Pocket Rumble
Wonder boy: the dragons trap
Shakedown Hawaii
Mr Shifty

May have missed a couple.

I'll be buying 6-8 of these. Most of them at launch.

Where do you get this info from? I'm going to go as physical as possible on Switch, so I want to figure out what options are retail/digital.

Also, if I start with a 64GB card, can I move to a 128GB+ card later without issue? Copy/paste data over?

And one last question. My Switch will be here this week. If I am playing on the dock and decide to move to handheld mode, is it really as seamless as just taking it out? And if I'm in handheld mode and want to go back to docked, do I really just pop it in? That quick and painless?

SpeedNut

So glad I got a screen protector before trying the dock. Was meticulous in putting on the protector and knew it was going to be iffy with the dock looking like the "not so good" angled front vs. the plumb front. Docked it about as slow as could be, released it and sure enough, scratch on the 4 corner points where the "bump" is, two lines on the upper part, and a more noticeable square-like scratch point at the bottom on both sides. With all of the moving parts and connectivity, for the screw-up to be just a plain ol' piece of plastic is disappointing.

There's a handful between now and end of April:

Retail:

Binding of Isaac
Has Been Heroes
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Digital:

Snake Pass
Pocket Rumble
Wonder boy: the dragons trap
Shakedown Hawaii
Mr Shifty

May have missed a couple.

I'll be buying 6-8 of these. Most of them at launch.

Not a long list, but it is a quality one.

Bii

Where do you get this info from? I'm going to go as physical as possible on Switch, so I want to figure out what options are retail/digital.

Also, if I start with a 64GB card, can I move to a 128GB+ card later without issue? Copy/paste data over?

And one last question. My Switch will be here this week. If I am playing on the dock and decide to move to handheld mode, is it really as seamless as just taking it out? And if I'm in handheld mode and want to go back to docked, do I really just pop it in? That quick and painless?

Yes, you can move from a 64GB to a higher capacity card later without any issue. Just remember, game save data can only be saved to the internal memory for now. Most game saves don't take up much memory so that's not an issue we have to worry about just yet.

And yes, it's very seamless going from docked to handheld, and vice versa. Just pop it in or take it out of the dock.

If you're interested in I Am Setsuna, it's only a digital title in the US. If you want physical, you're going to have to import the Japanese/Asian version, which has English options. If you're interested in Has Been Heroes, the physical version is an exclusive to Gamestop.

MegaPanda

Anyone else having discoloration on their grey joycons? It's been less than a week & I think my thumb wore off the matte coating near the B/Y buttons :(

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Question about the Switch. I was mentioning to a friend of mine today that I would like to take the Switch with me on a long flight in the future. International airplanes now generally offer USB plugs so I plan to plug my Switch with that. My friend said though that he's heard from people that USB charging isn't fast enough or something for Switch as it draws too much power. Anybody here got experience with USB charging their Switch or taking one on flights?

molnizzle

I tell ya one thing that needs some work: waking the system up from sleep with the Pro controller. Basically a crapshoot right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom