• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cireza

Gold Member
I have two questions :

1) Let's say I buy a Switch, sell the joycons, and buy a Pro Controller. I can use the console without problem in this configuration ? The joycons are not mandatory in any way (console menus etc...) ?

2) Do you know if we can transfer a save between BotW on Wii U and Switch ?

I have two questions :

1) Let's say I buy a Switch, sell the joycons, and buy a Pro Controller. I can use the console without problem in this configuration ? The joycons are not mandatory in any way (console menus etc...) ?

2) Do you know if we can transfer a save between BotW on Wii U and Switch ?

After the initial setup of the system joycons don't have to be used at all.

There's no way to transfer saves.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Since some titles are 8 players, and we have people who at times play 8 players with us, we wanted everyone to have the means to have a 'full' controller, so 4 pro pads and 4 sets of joy cons (with 4 grips total) led to that more or less.

The pro pads were bought on sale at least, as I would not have spent 70 on them.

Can you actually even do that? I thought 8 controllers was max, each Joycon counting as one. 4 Pro + 4 sets of Joycon would be 12 in total.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there not a way to completely turn off the system with the pro controller while in dock mode?

Can you even do it all if you press and hold down the power button on the actual Switch while docked?

Or is it all just sleep mode?

There is a Power Off mode, accessed by holding the power button. And it really means off​. In this mode the Switch cannot be woken up by controllers (I think), it doesn't charge attached Joycon, etc. Don't believe you can get to the power menu with a controller.

Note: You have to power it off while it's already docked. If you do it undocked, then dock it, the system will wake up (and then go into sleep mode if you don't do anything for a short time).

orient

Neo Member
So I'm playing Zelda almost exclusively in handheld mode, I'm roughly 25-30 hours in, and I'm beginning to develop some serious right thumb fatigue...like, I haven't played the game in almost a day and I can still feel it in my thumb. This can't be just me?

The right stick is positioned in a way that, in order to use the end of your thumb (like you would a standard controller), you're forced to arch your thumb toward your palm fairly tightly. I'm starting to think that unless I can relearn to use the right stick lower down on my thumb (which feels weird and less accurate), then I may have to buy a Pro Controller afterall and convert to tablet mode. But then I need a steady surface. Bleh.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I'm playing Zelda almost exclusively in handheld mode, I'm roughly 25-30 hours in, and I'm beginning to develop some serious right thumb fatigue...like, I haven't played the game in almost a day and I can still feel it in my thumb. This can't be just me?

The right stick is positioned in a way that, in order to use the end of your thumb (like you would a standard controller), you're forced to arch your thumb toward your palm fairly tightly. I'm starting to think that unless I can relearn to use the right stick lower down on my thumb (which feels weird and less accurate), then I may have to buy a Pro Controller afterall and convert to tablet mode. But then I need a steady surface. Bleh.

Yeah, I find the right stick also uncomfortable in handheld mode for long plays. My other issue with the handheld mode is that it is way too easy to click on the left stick so I find myself crouching in Zelda more often than I would want. I have none of these issues with the Pro Controller.

You can try the Grip. It should rest lower in your palm so the stick will be higher. You could also hold the system/Joycons lower in your hand.

I don't play exclusively on handheld though. I've managed to split my time up pretty evenly. No issues with comfort for me.

ramparter

Banned

Yeah I have the same issues, I hope we see some grip attachments soon.

Kudo

Being accustomed to PC and Sony side of things where things get patched nearly daily (PS4 used to), what is Nintendos Update schedule, any idea when we could expect more features in firmware and maybe a fix for Zelda?

jblank83

Being accustomed to PC and Sony side of things where things get patched nearly daily (PS4 used to), what is Nintendos Update schedule, any idea when we could expect more features in firmware and maybe a fix for Zelda?

Nintendo patches consistently and often. However, just like Sony, major firmware features, such as folders, are slow. It might take 6-12 months before a major feature is added. IIRC, that was pretty much the 3DS schedule.

Chao

Question: is there a way to keep my save files or to transfer them somewhere in case I need to replace my switch?

Nintendo tells me that I will need to wait at least 2 weeks for a repair and they tell me to ship both the console and the joycons, and ain't having none of that.

So if I ask for a replacement through Amazon, is there a way to keep my Zelda save file?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Every Funday at 8am Japan Time.

Question: is there a way to keep my save files or to transfer them somewhere in case I need to replace my switch?

Nintendo tells me that I will need to wait at least 2 weeks for a repair and they tell me to ship both the console and the joycons, and ain't having none of that.

So if I ask for a replacement through Amazon, is there a way to keep my Zelda save file?

Nope, saves are tied to the console for now :/

Kyzer

Banned
Just to make sure, the part between R and ZR on the neon controller is supposed to be slightly different tone of color right? Wanna make sure i didnt mess it up lol

Chao

Nope, saves are tied to the console for now :/

That's just fucking great. So that means I either

1.Lose my Zelda savefile and the screen protector on my current machine, get a replacement Switch from Amazon, and be so lucky to get one of the good set of joycons this time. If not, repeat the process.

2.Send my perfectly good Switch screen alongside the joycons, risk it getting lost or damaged in the trip back and forth, wait for at least two weeks for it to be repaired (which I shouldn't since the fucking thing is NEW) and not play Zelda in the meantime.

Just great.

Kudo

Nintendo patches consistently and often. However, just like Sony, major firmware features, such as folders, are slow. It might take 6-12 months before a major feature is added. IIRC, that was pretty much the 3DS schedule.

Every Funday at 8am Japan Time.

Thanks, so probably shouldn't expect improvements to the OS before Summer at least.

Just found out that screenshots are saved in JPG, not PNG, and they're quite heavily compressed too :(

This will make me a lot less enticed to take screenshots now.

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
Haven't seen any fixes for this, but has anyone not had the "activity log" work? I really like to keep up with play time (even if it's a general number) but even after a week my profile still shows Zelda as "first played 8 days ago." Didn't know if there was a fix or if I need to wait it out?

I finally broke away from Zelda this weekend and had a chance to play Snipperclips with my wife and some friends/family. Holy crap is that game fun! It also made me realize that I make regular use of just about every "mode" that the Switch offers. This weekend I... :

- Played Zelda in TV mode while waiting for some family to arrive
- Played Zelda some more in handheld mode before bed on Saturday night
- Played Snipperclips in tabletop mode with my niece while the rest of the family watched a movie on Netflix

Anyone else find themselves using at least two "modes" on a regular basis with Switch? I haven't even thought about firing up my Xbox/PS4 to play anything recently just because the Switch is so versatile.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I finally broke away from Zelda this weekend and had a chance to play Snipperclips with my wife and some friends/family. Holy crap is that game fun! It also made me realize that I make regular use of just about every "mode" that the Switch offers. This weekend I... :

- Played Zelda in TV mode while waiting for some family to arrive
- Played Zelda some more in handheld mode before bed on Saturday night
- Played Snipperclips in tabletop mode with my niece while the rest of the family watched a movie on Netflix

Anyone else find themselves using at least two "modes" on a regular basis with Switch? I haven't even thought about firing up my Xbox/PS4 to play anything recently just because the Switch is so versatile.

I went to our local brewpub with the wife and played Snipperclips while we had lunch & some beer. We got back home and played Puyo Puyo Tetris on the tv for hours. I also spent way too much time playing BotW in Tv & handheld mode. This thing is magical.

tommyguns

Haven't seen any fixes for this, but has anyone not had the "activity log" work? I really like to keep up with play time (even if it's a general number) but even after a week my profile still shows Zelda as "first played 8 days ago." Didn't know if there was a fix or if I need to wait it out?

It will update after 10 days.

Kudo

Just found out that screenshots are saved in JPG, not PNG, and they're quite heavily compressed too :(

Yeah, talked about this earlier in the thread, they're most likely compressed a lot to hit some sort of size limit so that the device can fit 1000 of them.

cireza

Gold Member
After the initial setup of the system joycons don't have to be used at all.

There's no way to transfer saves.
Thank you for the answer.

So if the console is factory reset for whatever reason, joycons will be mandatory to start the console again ? That would be a problem.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thank you for the answer.

So if the console is factory reset for whatever reason, joycons will be mandatory to start the console again ? That would be a problem.

Hmm, most of the setup can be done using just the touchscreen, but I don't think you can get past the "attach the Joycon" step without them...?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The layout of the eshop really is terrible. 3DS terrible. I know there isn't much on there yet so it's not too big a deal, but still. Needs a lot of work.

ColdPizza

Banned

Man, Nintendo needs to make this an option and open it up in a future firmware update. Why bother including an SD slot for extended storage if we can't take advantage of this?

orient

Neo Member
You can try the Grip. It should rest lower in your palm so the stick will be higher. You could also hold the system/Joycons lower in your hand.

The grip is way more comfortable for longer play sessions, for sure, but I don't really want to play in tablet mode all the time, especially when I'm in bed and that requires balancing the Switch on a book or something.

What I really want is some kind of Pro Joy-Cons that are wider and more ergonomic. Surely it's only a matter of time before third parties start making them?

Macchiato

Is there a place in this thread/an existing thread where we can share friendcodes (ugh I wish I wouldn't have had to say that word again)?

I want Switch friends.

goldenpp72

Can you actually even do that? I thought 8 controllers was max, each Joycon counting as one. 4 Pro + 4 sets of Joycon would be 12 in total.

I thought about that as a possible issue as well, but was never able to verify. I figured in some rare instances they may make titles that do 4 players with motion controls, etc some day, but I actually still don't know.

TankRizzo

Banned

jrDev

Placed an order for
this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABOKRPC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

A last ditch effort to get quality sound from handheld mode. I'm hoping to get full volume from my BT/NC headphones. Hopefully it doesn't add too much weight to the unit.

edit: this is it in action.. I like that he's using a pair of headphones that I own.
https://youtu.be/qaKHfeu-o_8?t=160
Literally just came here to ask about this.

Thanks.
I just got these in for the joycons. People!! order these asap instead of those stupid rails.

1 million times better that what Nintendo provided.

15$ totally, absolutely, worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT9RSST/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, saw these the other day.

Kyzer

Banned
Just to make sure, the part between R and ZR on the neon controller is supposed to be slightly different tone of color right? Wanna make sure i didnt mess it up lol

Oh god someone please answer me

Lizardus

Oh god someone please answer me

Yes, its a bit off-color for me as well.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've been using my Switch in front of the TV since launch but last night we set up new TV stand and I put the Switch behind the TV to the side.

...and now that infamous joycon connection issue has cropped up. Great. Ugh.

GokouD

That's just fucking great. So that means I either

1.Lose my Zelda savefile and the screen protector on my current machine, get a replacement Switch from Amazon, and be so lucky to get one of the good set of joycons this time. If not, repeat the process.

2.Send my perfectly good Switch screen alongside the joycons, risk it getting lost or damaged in the trip back and forth, wait for at least two weeks for it to be repaired (which I shouldn't since the fucking thing is NEW) and not play Zelda in the meantime.

Just great.

Pretty sure option 2 also involves loosing your Zelda save file too as they'll send it back to you factory reset. To be honest, they'll probably just send a new Switch and say it was repaired.

I just got these in for the joycons. People!! order these asap instead of those stupid rails.

1 million times better that what Nintendo provided.

15$ totally, absolutely, worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT9RSST/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the way those look in terms of comfort, but how do the trigger buttons work/feel? They look like they're barely a step up from just using a JoyCon by itself. I honestly have no problem with the rails after using them for SnipperClips

F34R

I've been using my Switch in front of the TV since launch but last night we set up new TV stand and I put the Switch behind the TV to the side.

...and now that infamous joycon connection issue has cropped up. Great. Ugh.

Hmm.. I'ma have to try and either dock it, or hide it behind the tv to see how it affects mine. I was able to get 36 feet away from the switch and still able to use the joy-cons. I'm wondering if it's simply because something is in between them where the connection is lost. I'll try that out.

Man, it would be really great if we could do video recording via the capture button. Lots of times in Zelda where I really wish I could save a clip.

Probably never going to happen considering the hardware and its portable nature, but one can still dream.

Majine

Banned
Man, it would be really great if we could do video recording via the capture button. Lots of times in Zelda where I really wish I could save a clip.

Probably never going to happen considering the hardware and its portable nature, but one can still dream.

They said it's going to happen.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Hmm.. I'ma have to try and either dock it, or hide it behind the tv to see how it affects mine. I was able to get 36 feet away from the switch and still able to use the joy-cons. I'm wondering if it's simply because something is in between them where the connection is lost. I'll try that out.

I'm not sitting that far away, maybe...six feet tops? I did notice it happened more often when I was trying to play it when I had my legs up and it had to travel through that.

I am so excited for more JRPG games for handheld mode. Shin Megani Tensei is a big win! Dragon Quesf will be great! Hell, I'm hoping for yet ANOTHER Chrono Trigger port, because it'd look beautiful on this screen.

Fingers crossed we get plenty of GBA & SNES virtual console stuff, and then lots of Vita market JRPG titles. Big and small studios alike.

Oh and Skies of Arcadia...

(I'm crazy about this console and how fun Zelda has been as a handheld. My girlfriend and I just double screen with late nigh television on the big screen and Zelda on the tablet. Brought me back to the handheld market!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom