• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is it worth picking up Snipperclips if I won't really have anyone to play it with regularly?

E: What's the problem with the Neo Geo ports? Are they not worth investing in?

Say what you will about Joycons in grip, but after playing all week on it, going back to a regular sized controller is fucking WEIRD.

My 360 pad I use for couch PC gaming feels MASSIVE and ungainly.

Yeah, I had that when i went to play Rocket League in my PC with the Xbox One controller. Thought I'd hate the grip though and surprisingly i don't. I can play for hours with it just fine. If i play Zelda in handheld mode in bed though i get severe pins and needles in my wrists but i don't on the couch, must be the angle.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
After playing through some of Blaster Master Zero, I'm convinced Nintendo should contract Inti Creates to give us Metroid 2 and Zelda 2 remakes for the Switch.

Thanks for the recommendations, y'all! Thing is I've either already played or am not interested in basically everything available on the system at this point.

Guess I'll JUST have to be happy with Zelda...

And, oh yeah, get some work done...

Edit: Man, I really hope this Celeste game turns out good. I love the aesthetic and music, I just hope it isn't too ball bustingly difficult. Here's some great footage of the opening level I just stumbled across: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m72lgC-Isvw

For 8 bucks, I would although it's not perfect. Looks like there are some emu issues, and some FPS chugging when there's a lot of effects going on. Playing 2 player with the Joy-Cons is still fun and didn't hamper us having a good time with it. There are alot of configuration options too which is nice to really get the game to look/play how you want it too.

I've also heard there's an update coming out that will improve the performance.

Cool thanks, I'll probably end up picking it up once I finish Zelda.

nickerous

I haven't tried the tv mode yet, but handheld mode makes my left hand go to sleep after a bit. Any ideas? No issues with the right.

FireRises

hey guys, quick question regarding nintendo accounts.

If I create a nintendo account so I can purchase stuff (eshop, website etc) it asks for a "nickname".

I haven't created my nintendo ID yet (waiting on the switch) but if I create a nintendo account with the nickname I want for the my nintendo ID, would that make it unavailable or do they have nothing to do with each other?

Tldr; can my nintendo account and nintendo network ID be the same username?

edit: nvm, seems to be separate of each other.

Get'sMad

Unfortunately I'm now experiencing post Zelda "now what?" with this thing. :( I mean I knew that going in but still...

I'll keep holding on though...

Moreche

I plan to use my Switch as a home console connected to the dock and TV only but can I put the joycons away and just use the tablet and pro controller only?
I purchased the Switch to play Nintendo and indie games only as I have my PS4 Pro for third party and exclusives, I wish Nintendo had brought out a TV only version.

Jashobeam

I have a feeling I'll own all the launch titles due to launch drought. Fast RMX, and Shovel Knight are currently tempting me, Bomberman R as well, God help me!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I plan to use my Switch as a home console connected to the dock and TV only but can I put the joycons away and just use the tablet and pro controller only?
I purchased the Switch to play Nintendo and indie games only as I have my PS4 Pro for third party and exclusives, I wish Nintendo had brought out a TV only version.

That's not the point of the system. It's like the people complaining that they want a portable only version. The Switch concept is that you can play on the TV OR on the go. There's no reason you can't play JUST portable or JUST TV mode.

So, my Switch hard-locked on a white transition screen in the OS. I can't get the thing to restart for the life of me. I've held the power button down for 5 seconds and it's still stuck. Any advice?

So for usb charging banks the one i got has usb a and usb c. If i am just using it to get longer battery life should i get a c-to-c or a-to-c? Does it matter?

Unai

Zelda is making me want Dark Souls on the Switch. Mobile Dark Souls would be so goooooooooooooood.

Indeed. I think the souls series would be great to play on the go. I really like booting up the first Dark Souls on PC and playing for 15 minutes or so until I reach the next boss or big event, and that would probably be much easier with a portable machine.

Litri

Got to a mediamarkt nearby Frankfurt today. No Switchs until end of this week. Thanks god I can still play Zelda on Wii U :)

What's the consensus on Micro SD cards. I want something fast but don't know if price/speed ratio is decent these days.

Seik

Banned
So, my Switch hard-locked on a white transition screen in the OS. I can't get the thing to restart for the life of me. I've held the power button down for 5 seconds and it's still stuck. Any advice?

Hold it for 10-20 second, it surely will shut down at some point.

F34R

I just got myself a new 128 gb micro SDXC card for my Switch.

Do I need to format the card to any specification out of the box before I put it into the Switch or does the Switch do that itself? I tried to google an answer to this but I cant find it with the limited content I can access from work.

You don't have to format it unless you want to delete everything on it to start with a clean slate so to speak. I just put a brand new card in there, didn't access anything, and took a few screeshots. They were saved directly to the SD card automatically. Check your settings to see if it is showing it to auto save to the SD or default system mem.

Protome

The time played tracking in the profile screen seems both incredibly vague and wildly inaccurate.

It says I've played Zelda "More than 50 hours" (probably accurate, but super vague) and everything else is "A few minutes." This includes Shovel Knight, a game with an in game clock which says I've played it for just under 3 hours. 3 hours = "A few minutes" apparently?

bumpkin

I haven't had a hard lock/freeze yet, but last night I did have my Switch not wake up when I pressed the Home button on my Pro Controller. I got up and pressed the power button on the console and everything worked fine afterwards. Must have just been a fluke.

I brought my Switch with me to work today along with a Joy-Con Grip to play some during my lunch break. This is truly the next generation!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I haven't had a hard lock/freeze yet, but last night I did have my Switch not wake up when I pressed the Home button on my Pro Controller. I got up and pressed the power button on the console and everything worked fine afterwards. Must have just been a fluke.

I brought my Switch with me to work today along with a Joy-Con Grip to play some during my lunch break. This is truly the next generation!

You need to press the home button 3 times fast, no more no less

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, just had the system freeze/crash on me yesterday.

Was playing Breath of the Wild when the Home and Power buttons were kind of unresponsive. I could still move around in game, but couldn't go back to the Home screen. Holding the Home button pulled up the Power Options, but I couldn't confirm any options there. The buttons were still responsive, I was doing attacks/jumps in game, but I couldn't use the main UI. Held onto the Power button for a while and that opened up another Power Options menu which then prevented me from doing anything in game. I was getting worried because couldn't find a way to exit the game/enter Sleep. I held onto the Power button for a minute and it crashed the game (music was still playing all the time prior to this), and finally restarted the system.

Ugh, I thought I got one of the good units too...

Huh, I came in to post about EXACTLY this happening to me just now. Was playing Zelda, everything seemed normal until I tried to go to the home menu and the button didn't respond. Tried the screenshot button, nothing. Tried the power button to put the system to sleep, nothing. Finally the game froze. Had to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button for several seconds. Everything seemed normal when I booted it up again.

Hopefully some software bug since we both experienced it so similarly. My Switch was rather hot after this, but nothing out of the ordinary I thought. Zelda was running normally​ until I started pressing the unresponsive system buttons.

EDIT:

I had something similar same happen to me just now, though I didn't try holding the home button. I did notice that the screen cap button did nothing in this situation. Furthermore when I undocked the device it became completely unresponsive which, I assume, is because it was trying to show the "choose you controller" screen but couldn't.

I'm pretty sure it's an OS bug.

Actually, this is how the game finally froze for me too. Was playing docked, the system buttons became unresponsive, tried undocking, game froze.

Firebrand

Was a bit surprised to see that Zelda is "only" 599 SEK on the eShop. (~£55 / ~$67). Might seem like a lot, but the price at places like GameStop etc are higher.

And oh, for the first time today I had the fan go moderately loud on me. It happened straight off a cold boot, don't recall if power was plugged in or not. Then after a minute or two it stopped.

Got mine yesterday afternoon, it's pretty good. I put on the screen protector and it fits perfectly. I'm not sure how well it holds up against scratches as I haven't redocked it yet, but I tried out the stand built into the case this morning and I gotta say, it felt really good and was not a hassle in any way. The pics show the joycons in the little pouch, but I feel like that would be a little bulky feeling and just a dumb thing to do lol.

It should be noted that this is very much a carrying case, and does little for protection from drops/weight on top. It's not terrible or anything, but just don't expect something you can just drop the second you get situated in a room. Looks really nice and does what it says. I like it.
Oops, forgot to thank you for these impressions, cheers :) Was a bit short on money so still dont have a carrying case, undecided whether to go with travel case or one that fits dock, charger and joycon grip as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are the Neo Geo VC games poorly optimized or something? I was going to pick them up when my Switch comes, but I'm a bit worried now after reading a few negative comments.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have a theory that the crashes/freezes that people have experienced might be due to the 10-day-activity unlock. I checked my activity for Zelda today ("9 days since first played"), then played it for a bit, when it suddenly froze. After having rebooted, I checked the activity again, which now says "35 hours".

You might be on to something! The last time I checked my playtime before the freeze I was still at "9 days ago". After booting up after the freeze, "40 hours or more".

LaneDS

I also had the hard lock this morning. I wonder if there's a weird correlation with that and having the system for 10 days (profile now shows hours played for Zelda) and it being in rest mode. Probably a non-issue, but interesting to see others having the same sounding issue.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Say what you will about Joycons in grip, but after playing all week on it, going back to a regular sized controller is fucking WEIRD.

Lol, yep. Finally played some Rocket League yesterday after a week of nothing but Zelda, and thought "man, the DS4 is HUGE!".

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Thinking of tracking down the blue joycon set and returning it along with my left joycon as defective to get a replacement. Any word on whether the joycons available for purchase separately are "fixed" or not?

Do the speakers distort at full volume for anyone else? I've been playing with headphones all the time, but tonight during a long play session the headphones started to hurt my ears so I took them off and switched to the built in speakers, and immediately noticed certain sounds distorting. Also maximum volume is pathetic, even in the middle of the night in a quiet room the volume is barely adequate.

On a positive note, Zelda is the best thing ever. Haven't enjoyed a game this much in a very long time.

I was in the menu for testing controller input and noticed that pressing L and R (or ZL and ZR) on the joycons at the same time (whether in handheld mode or split joycons in each hand) would only register the R (or ZR) about half of the time.

I don't know if its software or data transmission related or whatever, but I wonder if there would be an issue in an actual game that requires simultaneous L+R input, or just a quirk in this test.

The Argus

My problem with switching between the Joycons and my Xbox controller is the A button placement. I've quit so many apps straight to the Xbox Dash the last few days.

Do the speakers distort at full volume for anyone else? I've been playing with headphones all the time, but tonight during a long play session the headphones started to hurt my ears so I took them off and switched to the built in speakers, and immediately noticed certain sounds distorting. Also maximum volume is pathetic, even in the middle of the night in a quiet room the volume is barely adequate.

On a positive note, Zelda is the best thing ever. Haven't enjoyed a game this much in a very long time.

Mine is actually very loud, surprisingly so. I've read a few others saying theirs is quiet around here, the two Switches we have however are both loud (no distortion).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My problem with switching between the Joycons and my Xbox controller is the A button placement. I've quit so many apps straight to the Xbox Dash the last few days.

Lol, yep. Suddenly, despite several years of basically only playing on PS4, pressing the lower button (X) for positive actions and the right one (O) to back out of things suddenly felt completely wrong. I did the opposite of what I intended quite a few times, took my brain a little while to undo that Switch/Zelda wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom