• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the hard lock / force restart. My games are on 9 days played and nothing flipped over, so don't think the time played thing is the culprit.

Piichan

Banned
Last night I was playing Zelda on my train back home from work, and when I got home I put my Switch in the dock to continue playing on the TV. When I switched on the TV to play, the image quality of the game did not look so good. I had to turn off the switch (or rather, put it in sleep mode), and then turn it back on to have good image quality again.

What I think happened was, that Zelda was for some reason stuck in its 720p output mode for portable use, instead of 900p output for TV play. anyone else experienced something like this?

It's not a big deal, since fixing it takes like 5 seconds at most, but it was still weird.

Even though I planned to keep my switch docked I have to say I have been using it as a portable at least 75% of the time I am playing, never thought I would use it in that mode more then on the tv.

Giever

Last night I was playing Zelda on my train back home from work, and when I got home I put my Switch in the dock to continue playing on the TV. When I switched on the TV to play, the image quality of the game did not look so good. I had to turn off the switch (or rather, put it in sleep mode), and then turn it back on to have good image quality again.

What I think happened was, that Zelda was for some reason stuck in its 720p output mode for portable use, instead of 900p output for TV play. anyone else experienced something like this?

It's not a big deal, since fixing it takes like 5 seconds at most, but it was still weird.

I almost wish I could reproduce that so that I could have the more stable framerate as an option while playing on my TV.

Struggling so hard to get a hold of a Pro controller? Has anybody had any luck getting one post launch?

It took some searching around, but I was able to find one at a GameStop about 30 minutes from my house. It was the last one they had, so I called ahead and asked them to hold it.

goldenpp72

Would this be a feasible way to protect the switch from scratches while using the dock:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XK57FWZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does anyone have one? I just wonder if it would make the fit tighter and possibly hard to put in and out of the dock.

I wonder if this plus a screen protector would work?

Both would work, but just a screen protector should be sufficient. I'd not advice using that sleeve without a screen protector though as it could make it worse.

Dinjoralo

So, quick question: If I buy a game on a foreign e-shop with another account, do I get it on other accounts on the system that are still in the US?

Peltz

Lol, yep. Suddenly, despite several years of basically only playing on PS4, pressing the lower button (X) for positive actions and the right one (O) to back out of things suddenly felt completely wrong. I did the opposite of what I intended quite a few times, took my brain a little while to undo that Switch/Zelda wiring.

In Japan on Playstation, Circle is "Confirm" and X is "Cancel" (same as the Nintendo way). If you think about the symbols, that makes sense.

It really bothers me that X is "Confirm" here.

Totofogo

Neo Member
My left one has the (slight) wiggle. Seems to be an issue with the joycon itself, and not the console.

Update: I was able to get a replacement joycon direct from Amazon as the wiggle got a bit worse. They're shipping just the left joycon, and allowing me to keep my console etc... excellent customer service as always. I just hope that these issues don't lead to Amazon not stocking Nintendo items again :/

Lexxism

So, quick question: If I buy a game on a foreign e-shop with another account, do I get it on other accounts on the system that are still in the US?
Yes. It doesn't really matter where you buy the game. You can use it to whatever account you want. Like in my case. I bought a few Japanese games and I can play them on my Canadian account without any problem.

So i was watching a video where Etika was saying there was a way to watch youtube on the switch but he couldnt replicate the trick.

Anyone know if this is a thing?

greelay

What is the issue with the battery indicator? I just played at 1% for about a half hour. And I saw at least one other person mention this, I dont know how widespread this is though.

Amazon now just delivered the pro controller. To be honest this things looks overpriced as f....

Might just suck it up and use the joycons with the grip cause ~$80 with tax is a lot of money

Persona7

Banned
Amazon now just delivered the pro controller. To be honest this things looks overpriced as f....

They are basically upcharging you for the huge battery, NFC, USB C cable and HD rumble. Honestly, I think the extra 5-10 dollars in comparison to the DS4 and Xbox controller is worth it.

They are basically upcharging you for the huge battery, NFC, USB C cable and HD rumble. Honestly, I think the extra 5-10 dollars in comparison to the DS4 and Xbox controller is worth it.

Thing is I haven't paid full price for a controller since 2014 probably. Last couple of controllers I bought I've paid less than $45 so it really hurts paying close to $80

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Okay, I don't know how, but I got a small scratch oj my screen.

What's a good screen protector?

Huh, I came in to post about EXACTLY this happening to me just now. Was playing Zelda, everything seemed normal until I tried to go to the home menu and the button didn't respond. Tried the screenshot button, nothing. Tried the power button to put the system to sleep, nothing. Finally the game froze. Had to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button for several seconds. Everything seemed normal when I booted it up again.

Hopefully some software bug since we both experienced it so similarly. My Switch was rather hot after this, but nothing out of the ordinary I thought. Zelda was running normally​ until I started pressing the unresponsive system buttons.

EDIT:

Actually, this is how the game finally froze for me too. Was playing docked, the system buttons became unresponsive, tried undocking, game froze.

How odd. This same thing happened to me a couple of hours ago. It was the first time.

Might just suck it up and use the joycons with the grip cause ~$80 with tax is a lot of money

The only reason I got one is because I took advantage of GameStop's trade-in deal with an old PS4 controller. Only paid $42, which made it totally worth it.

How odd. This same thing happened to me a couple of hours ago. It was the first time.

The only reason I got one is because I took advantage of GameStop's trade-in deal with an old PS4 controller. Only paid $42, which made it totally worth it.

I should have taken advantage of a deal like that. I get my Switch tomorrow so hopefully I find the joycons + grip comfortable and I return this thing. I'll wait for discounts hopefully or maybe pay an extra $10 for a set of joycons. That way I'll have 4 controllers for that rare occasion when we play MP

Dinjoralo

Yes. It doesn't really matter where you buy the game. You can use it to whatever account you want. Like in my case. I bought a few Japanese games and I can play them on my Canadian account without any problem.

Nice! Now to see how currency conversion works out for Puyo Tetris...

For an SD Card, I'm not sure if I should pay for 128gb card or faster 64gb card. The read speeds are about the same so I'm not sure if it'll have an effect on load times getting the "slower" card

Blam

If nobody else has seen it PegaSwitch is the newest release for the homebrew side of things. Hasn't gotten anywhere substantial yet, but surely after it's release there's bound to be more of these.

HDMI CEC is ancient technology...I was using it in 2006-2007.

snooty-hedge-fund-investor.gif

A bit of a random question but I need to get a portable battery pack before I go on leave around July. Since I'm in Hawaii I can't order a single lithium battery pack from any vendor because no one will ship it here. My only choice for an external battery pack is the one below. It outputs a max amperage of 3.4a but I'm not sure of the voltage output. Is there anyone who has used this one or know of someone who has that knows this will work, and charge the switch efficiently enough while I'm flying home.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mycharg...ed-apple-devices-gray/5370516.p?skuId=5370516

Dinjoralo

Uh... Never mind. Apparently, american credit/debit cards don't work on the japanese store. Damn it, I just want some frickin' tetris...

I'm not using the dock at the moment so I'm charging my switch pluging the power cord directly into it. Is there are problem in doing this or it's fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom