• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malus

The fact that the included joy con grip doesn't charge is annoying. Based on a week of play the joycons+grip is the worst "primary" controller I've ever laid hands upon. Small, uncomfortable, and inconvenient. I don't even play split controller style like I was looking forward to because holding them individually doesn't feel good at all.

At least the neon colors look neat.

I gotta say that I'm overall not impressed with the Switch as a piece of hardware. Still looking forward to the games though.

jorgejjvr

Have a business flight tomorrow.

Things will be so much different now with a switch.

For once looking forward to the airplane/flying experience

Thanks, will keep doing it then. I'm not using the dock for now until I find a way for sure that it doesn't scratches my screen.

Well for what it's worth my Switch is fine and I've been docking and undocking it every day but if you are concerned and can sew you could sew a pouch for the dock's front-side with thicker fabric, kind of like a pillow-case.

Mine is actually very loud, surprisingly so. I've read a few others saying theirs is quiet around here, the two Switches we have however are both loud (no distortion).
I think the reason people are reporting the volume being low is it's game dependent. Zelda is quiet while Fast RMX and 1 2 Switch are loud. Since most people are only playing Zelda, that's where a lot of the low volume complaints are coming from I bet.

I think the reason people are reporting the volume being low is it's game dependent. Zelda is quiet while Fast RMX and 1 2 Switch are loud. Since most people are only playing Zelda, that's where a lot of the low volume complaints are coming from I bet.

Huh, that's weird.

Zelda's the only game I have on the Switch and I find the volume to be pretty great for it, especially for a handheld system. I don't think I've even pumped the volume past 40-50%, but I don't really play in a loud environment, so maybe that has something to do with it.

suberzat

Since it's been a little of a month and some have had plenty of time to play the Switch. What are some of the takeaways you have from playing the Switch early at one of Nintendo Switch tour stops?

jrDev

Man I have a glass screen protector, 64 GB SD card, usbc powerbank, case (I actually need a bigger one) and a Bluetooth transmitter coming Wednesday, I think I'm all set for my trip this weekend! 😁

aett

Any game you guys recommend besides Zelda for a flight?

I haven't played it yet, but I've played the rest of the series and have heard good things about Disgaea 5. You can import it or get it from the Japanese eshop and it will play fully in English.

kirby_fox

Banned
The fact that the included joy con grip doesn't charge is annoying. Based on a week of play the joycons+grip is the worst "primary" controller I've ever laid hands upon. Small, uncomfortable, and inconvenient. I don't even play split controller style like I was looking forward to because holding them individually doesn't feel good at all.

I gotta say that I'm overall not impressed with the Switch as a piece of hardware. Still looking forward to the games though.

It took me a good day of Zelda to get used to playing with the controller. I kept hitting the second stick on the left with my thumb. Now there's no other way I can play it, though I look forward to inevitably getting a pro down the line.

In the meantime...anyone got a travel case recommendation? I've already had people wanting me to take it out of the house and I need something cheap + effective + discrete.

AllenShrz

Auto brightness does shit. I always have to manually adjust to actually see whats going on.

The sensor is not blocked.

Also the amp for the headphones is as cheap as it can get, there is always a hiss using headphones, present with my se846 and u8.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any game you guys recommend besides Zelda for a flight?

Full disclosure: my Switch arrives Wednesday. I own BOTW and Super Bomberman R already, though.

I'd say with an upcoming flight, Fast Racing RMX. VOEZ if you like rhythm games, but you'd need to have some sort of soft/non-slide surface to keep the Switch in place on the tray table.

Nope it has a completely dead touchscreen, and can't find anyone else posting about that issue yet. It isn't killing any functionality I need right now since I only have Zelda so I'm waffling over whether to start.

I decided to go ahead and risk it with a repair (after putting 30-40 hours into Zelda like an idiot (its real good)). The customer support guy assured me they had tools there to move data between systems if the storage wasn't damaged, I'm not 100% convinced that's going to happen but we'll see. He also said they're currently doing overnight shipping with Switch repairs and didn't know how long that will last, something to keep in mind if you need to send yours in. Dropped it off at the UPS store this morning and have no idea how long the turnaround will be after it gets in their hands, I'll update again when it comes back.

Okay, I don't know how, but I got a small scratch oj my screen.

What's a good screen protector?

What if I told you... it might not actually be a scratch? When I first got the Switch I used it for about an hour or so before applying the screen protector, and when I was examining the screen and blowing dust off it to prepare for the protector application I saw what looked like a small scratch. I thought surely that can't be a scratch because I was sure nothing had touched the screen yet, but it wasn't going away when I tried to wipe it off, and I started to get really sad that thinking I already have a scratch on it. It wasn't going away even after my first couple of attempts at wiping it with a wet cloth. But after one more attempt with the wet cloth, index finger pressure and circular motion wiping, it went away!! Phew. Had a sigh off relief and proceeded to put the screen protector on, which went on perfectly.

Don't know what that was...

Splatoon 2 Testfire is now up on the Japanese eShop. Currently downloading.

C62w-OCU0AEjQEH.jpg

_Clash_

Binding of Isaac would be an interesting one to have your neighbor sneak a peak and see aborted fetuses and scarred wombs and whatnot.

I love 2D Zelda, meat boy, and top down shooters, never really played/watched Isaac but have ordered that awesome retail copy because I was compelled.

Wondering what I'm in for sounds pretty weird man

Huh, that's weird.

Zelda's the only game I have on the Switch and I find the volume to be pretty great for it, especially for a handheld system. I don't think I've even pumped the volume past 40-50%, but I don't really play in a loud environment, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think the volume is fine in a room without much noise going on, but I have noticed that when I switch from Zelda to Fast RMX, I have to turn the volume way down since for whatever reason it's way louder than when I set Zelda to a comfortable volume. This is true even when docked in my home theater setup too.

mstevens

Played some Shovel Knight in handheld mode for the first time tonight... Virtual Console games are going to be so nice on this thing.

A bit of a random question but I need to get a portable battery pack before I go on leave around July. Since I'm in Hawaii I can't order a single lithium battery pack from any vendor because no one will ship it here. My only choice for an external battery pack is the one below. It outputs a max amperage of 3.4a but I'm not sure of the voltage output. Is there anyone who has used this one or know of someone who has that knows this will work, and charge the switch efficiently enough while I'm flying home.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mycharg...ed-apple-devices-gray/5370516.p?skuId=5370516

Im in Hawaii as well. The portable battery I got is (http://www.ebay.com/itm/222208108720?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)
Fortunately, AnkerDirect on Ebay ships to Hawaii. I got this along with a Anker USB C cable. This works very well with the Nintendo Switch. I charge the Switch through USB C.

Edit: If you do decide to get this, the included instructions will tell you how to charge through USB C and not charge the opposite way.

Theswweet

2 Joy-Con Co-Op would be cool, but I don't think it's possible given Isaac's control scheme.

If by "2 Joy-Con Co-Op" you mean each player uses 1 Joy-Con, that's confirmed. There's even footage of Polygon playing it that way up on Youtube (don't have the link handy, though)

ON ANOTHER NOTE...

The Splatoon 2 Global Testfire is already up for download on the JP eShop.

Im in Hawaii as well. The portable battery I got is (http://www.ebay.com/itm/222208108720?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)
Fortunately, AnkerDirect on Ebay ships to Hawaii. I got this along with a Anker USB C cable. This works very well with the Nintendo Switch. I charge the Switch through USB C.

Edit: If you do decide to get this, the included instructions will tell you how to charge through USB C and not charge the opposite way.

I really appreciate the help. I was thinking I was pretty much boned because no one would ship here. It's good to know they still ship through ebay. Thanks a bunch.

rekameohs

Banned
2 Joy-Con Co-Op would be cool, but I don't think it's possible given Isaac's control scheme.

Move + Fire would be the stick and 4 buttons. Active Item and Usable Item would be SL/SR, Bomb is clicking the stick, Drop Item would be + or -. Just barely enough. No way to pause with that though, maybe Drop Item would have to be taken out in that style.

I actually really like the Joy-Con in the grip. More than I expected. It feels like a regular controller to me and I see no reason to ever get a Pro Controller, except for the fact that it looks really cool. I do have pretty small European hands though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Uh... Never mind. Apparently, american credit/debit cards don't work on the japanese store. Damn it, I just want some frickin' tetris...

You can buy the download code direct from Amazon.jp with a foreign card - I just did it yesterday. They email you the download code to redeem on the Japanese Eshop

NimbusD

Shovel Knight is amazing. Can't believe I waited so long to play it.

I like it, but I instantly regret buying it. I have it on wii u and never played it much because I just never got around to it. But I figured its a good game to have on the switch right now for when you need a break on the go...

holy shit I cant use the fake d pad for the life of me. So much for playing it on the go. sigh.

oatmeal

Banned
I have 28 bucks in my account and don't know what to buy.

I think Snipperclips...it's gotta be Snipperclips. Never played Shovel Knight so that's tempting too.

I wish I could buy the 10 dollar one and then it would discount the treasure trove if you wanted more. Sucks that you can buy one piece of that but have to rebuy it if you want the others.

I have 28 bucks in my account and don't know what to buy.

I think Snipperclips...it's gotta be Snipperclips. Never played Shovel Knight so that's tempting too.

I wish I could buy the 10 dollar one and then it would discount the treasure trove if you wanted more. Sucks that you can buy one piece of that but have to rebuy it if you want the others.

Fast RMX?

KingBroly

Banned
You know what I just realized?

The Switch...

automatically converted over for Daylight's Savings Time.

The Land of Milk of Honey, this is.

I think I love this little system.

I mean, I fear that with Zelda, it may have already peaked software wise...

But the hardware itself is simply delightful. In any configuration, gaming on it is a joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom