• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malus

I actually really like the Joy-Con in the grip. More than I expected. It feels like a regular controller to me and I see no reason to ever get a Pro Controller, except for the fact that it looks really cool. I do have pretty small European hands though.

It's usable if nothing else. But if somebody asked me which controller I'd like to use out of like the last 15 years worth of controllers across all platforms it'd come in last pretty easily.

mojo2

Neo Member
My left Joy-Con wobbles from the bottom but it does not when I switch it with right. And the right one does not wobble when on left rail?! I'm confused. Seems I can't pinpoint if it's the rail or the Joy-Con.

I've got 30 days to return it but I can't because my Zelda save would go with it. And I'm not in the US either so I don't think customer service would care for my OCD-ish problem.

Damn.

Also the motion control is buggy, every now and then I need to move the controller around for it to start registering. Other than these issues my Switch is perfect.

I fucking want that cloud saving. Like now.

Anyone have some difficulty making fine adjustments when aiming with the bow in Zelda with the joycon? I think it might be the dead zone of the analog, but I found it frustrating a number of times when trying to make a small/slow adjustment to the crosshair only to find it not moving, then as I push the stick further it darts too far from my target.

Apharmd

Anyone have some difficulty making fine adjustments when aiming with the bow in Zelda with the joycon? I think it might be the dead zone of the analog, but I found it frustrating a number of times when trying to make a small/slow adjustment to the crosshair only to find it not moving, then as I push the stick further it darts too far from my target.

Yeah. I've been using analog for general aiming, but motion control for fine-tuning the aim.

Dumb question but you disabled gyro aiming right?

1upsuper

I was charging my Switch while shut off and I just noticed the back of the main unit got kinda hot. Is that normal? My 3DS and Vita don't get this hot while charging.

Dumb question but you disabled gyro aiming right?

Yes. I disabled it before I even started playing, but later when my friend was playing on my Switch he commented that aiming with the gyro works great, I was surprised and decided to try it, but couldn't get used to it and I performed worse. So I disabled it again... Maybe I just need to get used to it. But the thing is I'm mostly playing while laying on my back in bed with the tablet suspended above my head with a holder and the joycons in my hands resting by my sides (it's the most enjoyable and comfortable way for me to play), so that makes accurate gyro aiming almost impossible since I can't easily bend/move my wrists downward from that position.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
My switch ran out of battery in sleep mode during the night wtf? This has never happened before. It was on a full charge last I played it.

I had it plugged in to the charger before I left for work yesterday afternoon. Took it off charge as I went to work. Ended up not playing it at work or when I got home at night and went to sleep. Just woke up to find the battery dead and I'm not happy.

you_bought_a_switch.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You might be on to something! The last time I checked my playtime before the freeze I was still at "9 days ago". After booting up after the freeze, "40 hours or more".

I also had the hard lock this morning. I wonder if there's a weird correlation with that and having the system for 10 days (profile now shows hours played for Zelda) and it being in rest mode. Probably a non-issue, but interesting to see others having the same sounding issue.

This happened to me yesterday too. I initially thought it was some strange sequence of events, because I played in handheld mode, put it in sleep mode, docked it and then trying to wake it up with the Pro controller and then no button was working anymore on the Pro or the joycons. But now I guess the timing makes more sense and too much of a coincidence as after restart I have also the playing time there.

robotrock

Banned
Had my first hard crash on the system. Went to go to my profile and view my time spent in Zelda, but it locked up. Had to hold down the power button forever to reboot the system.

hoserx

Had my first hard crash on the system. Went to go to my profile and view my time spent in Zelda, but it locked up. Had to hold down the power button forever to reboot the system.

I Also had my first one yesterday, trying to get into my network settings. Had to hard reset.

Why you gotta steal the Vita meme? Why not make a new one? Besides, Switch hasn't reached the real meaning of that meme yet.

I've seen it made for multiple other systems besides Vita.

And I didn't make it. I just like memes and I don't take them seriously like you seem to be doing.

I bought a Switch at launch but didn't have a chance to play it till yesterday. The first impressions are pretty good, the build quality feels much better than the 3ds and the UI even if it's relatively barebones it's fast and easy to navigate. Games look really good, I was very impressed by how good FastRMX and Zelda, but the Neo Geo games indeed look a bit faded. My main complain with the system is that the Joycons don't feel that good to play with. As a portable it's fine, but the controller made of two Joycons feels really small and feels quite uncomfortable after being used to play with the Xbox One Elite controller. I don't wanna imagine how it is to play multiplayer with just one Joycon...

PSFan

I've seen it made for multiple other systems besides Vita.

And I didn't make it. I just like memes and I don't take them seriously like you seem to be doing.

I've only seen it in Vita threads, and it's not that. I'm just tired of people crapping on Vita all the time. It's a great handheld that Sony really screwed up.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Btw, are the different Shovel Knight character campaigns any different from eachother or is everything exactly the same outside of the character you play?

Have a faint memory of trying Plague Knight at it seems everything was the same as the normal campaign, could be horribly wrong though.

Anyone :)?

I like it, but I instantly regret buying it. I have it on wii u and never played it much because I just never got around to it. But I figured its a good game to have on the switch right now for when you need a break on the go...

holy shit I cant use the fake d pad for the life of me. So much for playing it on the go. sigh.
I just use the analog stick :p

Ninja Dom

The Switch would have been a great opportunity for a company like Gameloft to get their games on. They've really missed out here.

Gameloft are a French games company who mainly make clones of popular console games for mobile. While their games do borrow plenty of stuff from the real console games - their games are still fairly playable and enjoyable.

Plus they already have experience ŵorking with mobile graphics hardware to get their games looking good on the Switch.

In the absence of official Call of Duty, Overwatch, ports to the Switch, Gameloft's clones of these games would have done well.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I believe they are completely different. Brand new levels, different story, new art (there may be some reused assets somewhere in there but not sure)

Characters are drastically different to play as too.

Ah cool that's nice to hear!

Although, as I'm doing my research on the game I've come to an understanding that since I bought Shovel Knight on PS4 sometime last year - at this stage I've received, or should have, a free upgrade to the Treasure trove edition so it might make the purchase on Switch a bit more difficult to justify...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I've only seen it in Vita threads, and it's not that. I'm just tired of people crapping on Vita all the time. It's a great handheld that Sony really screwed up.
Nobody is crapping on Vita here. That gif carrying on to Switch is an endearment to Vita. Switch is carrying on Vita's legacy. And make no mistake, Vita is going to have a hell of a legacy despite what some people may say.

robotrock

Banned

Vita deserves some shit for how Sony treated it but I think most people saying the Switch carrying the Vita torch is a compliment to the Switch, for indie support and such. People saying the Switch is carrying the Wii U torch are dissing the system hard

Bulby

Im sure this has been posted 100 times, but god damn is it annoying that the shoulder button clips are not idiot proof.

Ive put the damn things on the wrong way accidentally about 10 times and every time I feel like im gonna tear the damn thing about trying to get it back off....and I hurt my fingers..

Im sure this has been posted 100 times, but god damn is it annoying that the shoulder button clips are not idiot proof.

Ive put the damn things on the wrong way accidentally about 10 times and every time I feel like im gonna tear the damn thing about trying to get it back off....and I hurt my fingers..

You using the little lock thing to remove them, right?

PSFan

Nobody is crapping on Vita here. That gif carrying on to Switch is an endearment to Vita. Switch is carrying on Vita's legacy. And make no mistake, Vita is going to have a hell of a legacy despite what some people may say.

Vita deserves some shit for how Sony treated it but I think most people saying the Switch carrying the Vita torch is a compliment to the Switch, for indie support and such. People saying the Switch is carrying the Wii U torch are dissing the system hard

I'm not so sure about carrying on the Vita's legacy. Japanese games that get localized on Nintendo systems tend to get censored more than games on the Vita.

vareon

I'm not so sure about carrying on the Vita's legacy. Japanese games that get localized on Nintendo systems tend to get censored more than games on the Vita.

Don't think too hard of it. It's a gif. Naked Snake didn't use it to diss the Vita or something.

Lexxism

I asked earlier about speed but nobody replied. I guess what I mean is does it matter if I get the Sandisk Ultra or Extreme?
Was this already posted? SanDisk Japan made some speedtests:
https://twitter.com/sandiskjp/status/837550339318411265

Upper left is retail gamecard, upper right is SanDisk Extreme, lower left is Sandisk Extreme Pro, lower right is Switch internal memory.
There is a test where the Extreme Pro is definitely faster than Extreme. I would assume it will give you a faster loading times than the Ultra but maybe not that much. I guess if you have a money to spare, you can get the Extreme or just get the Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom