• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is taking the joycon straps off pretty rough for anyone else? It's not as smooth as I would like but if that's how it should be I will deal with it

dreamfall

Got everything I wanted! Pro controller after picking up my Best Buy grey preorder- I kicked it with an old homie, it was cold as hell outside and the line was at least 200 deep.

Just got everything set up! Waiting for my Maste Edition of Zelda and wishing we still didn't have to use friend codes!

How do I transfer my amiibo on the system?

blahness

Small ass controllers

TqT3j4g.jpg

I'm really hoping Amazon just isn't properly updating their shipping information. This is concerning. I talked to someone from support who said that it hadn't shipped because it wasn't available but I get the feeling that he didn't know what he was talking about and wasn't actually looking into the matter.

Got mine all set up. Snipperclips and Bomberman are going to download overnight

At my best buy they had a single set of neon joy cons available. Picked them up. Have to decide if I'm keeping them.

Also for what it's worth with my own completely non scientific test, I definitely felt the left joy con connection was better after the update and a power cycle. Tried it before the power cycle holding it behind my back and it wouldn't work at all. After a power cycle it worked fine.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Be careful about cancelling your eshop downloads. I cancelled my Fast RMX download and now I can't figure out how to get it back :(

EDIT: OH SHIT! you click on your profile picture in the eshop and there's a re-download option. Awesome.

tayls129

First thing I did was lick the card. It's bitter, for real. Pro Controller is excellent. Everything about the system is miniature and compact. Really, really dig it and Zelda is fantastic thus far. What a glorious change from last gen for Nintendo.

psyfi

Banned
100+ people in line at Best Buy at Cascade Station in Portland. All 50 non preorder units are claimed and people are starting to be turned away.

We're almost there west coast!

Joycons are working perfectly, behind the back and all. No issues here. It even worked through two people.

Still wondering if I should sell my pro or keep it. I'll see what the prices are like, as I love the joycons. Maybe I'll keep it for 2D gaming.

Dad

They feel fairly similar I guess. Gamepad's sticks are bigger though which I prefer. I'd put these square in the middle between Vita's and Wii U's.

I...don't like them. Honestly my biggest complaint about the system. They don't have a big enough range of movement.

They feel closer to the Vita's than the Wii U's.
Ooof, I hate the sticks on my Vita. I might end up begrudingly dishing out the extra $70 for a pro controller if I really can't stand them

TLZ

Banned
Wow just got the family together to play some 1 2 switch. We all love kinect and Wii sports and Nintendo Land together so this was a must. Yeah.... such a terrible game. Kids got bored after 10 minutes. And the wife and I were like wtf is this. If you were on the fence dont even think about this game its dreadful.

Going to be returning tomorrow morning. Dreadful.

Fucking Nintendo wanting to sell this for $50 instead of being a tech demo.

Pineconn

Anyone hearing some feedback through the headphones port? Definitely not hearing the weird sounds through my TV speakers when I unplug the headphones. Very odd.

Nairume

Banned
Joycons are working perfectly, behind the back and all. No issues here. It even worked through two people.
I tested mine before and after the update. While I did eventually get it to drop commands, I had to go about 15 feet away before I started to get drops with the joycons behind my back.

Post update, I full on left the room and was still having them work without any line of sight to the console.

iyox

This thing is way slicker than i thought it would be. Tablet component is much smaller than i thought, and it's just put together amazingly well. The sliding out of the joy-cons isn't as smooth as I thought it would be, but probably just takes an adjustment from my expectations(i keep hitting the shoulder buttons).

TLZ

Banned
This thing is way slicker than i thought it would be. Tablet component is much smaller than i thought, and it's just put together amazingly well. The sliding out of the joy-cons isn't as smooth as I thought it would be, but probably just takes an adjustment from my expectations(i keep hitting the shoulder buttons).

Yea it looks nice, but it's a little on the heavy side.

Also, the placement of the - button is awkward.

I'm in line in front of some scalpers. They seem like a nice couple. They were talking about how they preordered four consoles here and four more at another Best Buy.

Very pleased to finally have it, especially after the false fraud Alert nearly cancelling my orders.

Pre-ordered and picked up:

• Console
  • BOTW LE
  • All BOTW Amiibo

Purchased:

• Pro controller
  • Charge grip
  • ScreenPro

I'll hook it up in the morning and dive into Zelda. I really wish there was more compelling software, but this and Horizon will keep me going until Mario Kart.

Edit: I have small hands, but this controller is going to take some getting use to.

Nerazar

My launch began yesterday, but now I'm about to head out to get Zelda - I cancelled the game order on Amazon just to get the Launch feeling in the store :/

Vibed

Can anyone tell me if they're having trouble removing the joy con straps even when they're placed on right?

I just changed from 2.4ghz to 5.0 and the update took less than 30 seconds.

I've been on 5 Ghz the entire time. The initial update was fine, it's larger stuff like game downloads that show it isn't quite right. It took 40 minutes to download Disgaea 5 (I should be downloading nearly 30 Gigs in the time). The wifi could definitely use work (hopefully it's just some bad firmware choices and over aggressive power saving which they can fix).

iyox

Yea it looks nice, but it's a little on the heavy side.

Also, the placement of the - button is awkward.

It was lighter than I expected. Button placement is going to take some getting used to. Super excited to have this on flights though. Just wish it had VC :( . Does anyone know when the Arcade Archive games are going to hit?

Is the Switch's Pro Controller better suited for those who have large hands? The Joycon's feel uncomfortable when attached to the Joycon grip.

I feel like it's better suited to people with... hands, full stop. The JoyCons kind of feel like garbage to me, whether in the grip or separately. The Pro Controller is genuinely excellent, though. It reminds me a lot of the Logitech Cordless Action Controller for PS2, if anyone remembers this glorious beast:

I tested mine before and after the update. While I did eventually get it to drop commands, I had to go about 15 feet away before I started to get drops with the joycons behind my back.

Post update, I full on left the room and was still having them work without any line of sight to the console.
Yep. Things are working just fine. The world is a just and righteous place once again. I never believed those disconnection claims would hold up on on retail units, honestly. This system feels fucking great. Best purchase I've made in a while.

bleaker

I stopped by Gamestop at 7 pm to see if there was actually a line for the console (I live in small town midwest) and to my surprise there was one forming with three people already. The store had five consoles for walk ins and I decided I would be lucky no. 4.

I honestly had an amazing time with the dudes I waited with. They were all older than me, one was married, another married with their daughter with them in the store, and we all just talked about fond memories of Nintendo. The manager at the Gamestop was super nice, talked to us all nighto about random things, like when he met Gabe and how Bandai told him of a new Soulcaliber to be released in the next two years (grain of salt obviously, but I thought it was just interesting).

I'm not gonna be able to try the console until tomorrow night for a variety of reasons, but I just wanted to share how awesome waiting in line for five hours was with these dudes.

PS: the box is staring at me from across the room. This is gonna be a rough night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom