• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avixph

Got a mail my Switch is in the store... but there's two. I couldn't pre-order the neon bundle at launch, so I asked later if they could edit my order... and they added an extra one instead -_- But I got a mail from Nintendo yesterday they sent out test units and I have no idea if I'm on the list. Possibly drowning in Switches today lol
How do you get a test unit?

Man, I did a 180 on 1-2 Switch. Looked like a fun party game and I was gonna pick it up for drunken shenanigans next weekend but... I'm just not feeling it now. Zelda only for me.

Fei

Two hours of playing Zelda, and I just have to say bravo, Nintendo. This is the nicest piece of hardware they've ever made, easily. Pro controller feels fantastic, and the game is beautiful. I didn't care about portability at first, but just being portable around the house is surprisingly useful. It should make spontaneous gaming sessions much more frequent.

C5-mC2GUYAA81Ii.jpg:large

Huh there is an activity log after all.

Guys my Switch delivery is mere hours away!

Gutss

Hows the hd rumble guys? Anyone downloaded dragon quest heroes?

Sucks that we got a bad bundle here in the philipines its 25,000 pesos for a zelda and 1-2 switch.

random25

The charger is pretty small as expected. Same length and width, but taller than my Nexus 6P charger. Fits in with my outlet without covering the outlets because of its sideways placement. Nice, Asia.

ggx2ac

Hahaha the Joy-Cons connected to the Grip seems so small.

Good thing I bought the Pro Controller, feels much better in comparison.

But I don't mind playing with the Joy-Cons separately, I am playing right now with my hands rested because my arms are tired so it's very comfortable.

Beepos

Is there a plastic screen film on the actually Switch screen when opening? I want to put on my screen protector but I honestly can't tell in my low light house if there is already something on it?

TwiztidElf

Played Zelda all morning on the joy cons. At first by themselves, then later with the grip.
After lunch my Pro was fully charged, and I was smiling 10 minutes in.
Night and day, felt a million times better with the pro controller. Everything way more natural.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The left joy-con definitely has some connection wonkiness. I'm probably about six feet away from the dock. I don't plan on using them much at all, just playing around tonight before I get my pro controller in the morning.

Xypher

Now that more people have it in their hands, is anyone else having huge wifi problems? I have all my consoles in the second floor, and my router on the ground floor, while I have an extender on the first floor to make the signal reach all the way upstairs. For some reason the switch can only connect to the router itself, and not to the extender like all my other devices, making the connection pretty bad and very unstable, and so far I always had to carry it downstairs to download for me. Does anyone have any idea how I could possibly fix this? Or does anyone else even have this kind of problem?

ZeoVGM

Banned
About to start up Zelda!

But I have to be honest: the Switch UI completely lacks charm. Wii U and even 3DS/Wii were full of it. The menus are so bland and they don't even look high quality. Is it web based?

Is there a thread where we can list our own and add fellow NeoGAF users using our Nintendo ID names for the Switch friend's list? This is the first Nintendo console I've bought since the N64. So, I literally have no friends on the profile I just created haha.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
About to start up Zelda!

But I have to be honest: the Switch UI completely lacks charm. Wii U and even 3DS/Wii were full of it. The menus are so bland and they don't even look high quality. Is it web based?
I actually really like the UI. It feels much more sleek and "premium" to me than anything else they've done prior.

The eShop SHOULD have music, though.

mojo2

Neo Member
Is there a thread where we can list our own and add fellow NeoGAF users using our Nintendo ID names for the Switch friend's list? This is the first Nintendo console I've bought since the N64. So, I literally have no friends on the profile I just created haha.

Are friend codes back? I saw a screenshot that implied codes are the only way. Cannot believe it is true.

sleepnaught

Went to Wal-Mart to grab a few things and stopped by Electronics to see what Switch stuff was in stock. Decided to pickup the Pro controller and the Charger too since I need one my nightstand to charge my Switch and phone. Will this charger be safe to power my phone? I know nothing about power ratings and all that jazz.

Not sure if I posted, my friends code is SW-5780-6559-5884. Do we have a thread for this, I should do a search.

I only have one friend!. ( just signed up).

Wallach

Now that more people have it in their hands, is anyone else having huge wifi problems? I have all my consoles in the second floor, and my router on the ground floor, while I have an extender on the first floor to make the signal reach all the way upstairs. For some reason the switch can only connect to the router itself, and not to the extender like all my other devices, making the connection pretty bad and very unstable, and so far I always had to carry it downstairs to download for me. Does anyone have any idea how I could possibly fix this? Or does anyone else even have this kind of problem?

Don't suppose your extender is at max connections?

Xypher

Don't suppose your extender is at max connections?
I didn't even know that there is a maximum amount of connections, can I check it in some way?

Edit: checked it, not at max connections, but the switch just can't seem to be able to find it, or at least connect to it.

Bsigg12

God damn I had no idea it was this small.

The Neon looks phenomenal though.

Legend of Zelda is breath taking.

Pro controller all day everyday

VanWinkle

Played for a couple of hours now. Mostly disappointed but there are definitely parts where I think, "this can be very cool."

Firstly, Fast RMX or whatever it's called. It looked a bit blurry? I took a screenshot and it's pretty compressed but it still doesn't look 720p (I am playing handheld mode):

C5-ZtTWU0AAT5nq.jpg:large

Still looks good, though. Not sure I like the game unfortunately since I thought it would be more like Wipeout, but I'm going to give it more time.

Secondly, I had those disconnect issues with the left joy-con where Link wasn't responding to my left stick inputs. I was about 5 feet from the dock, with disconnected Joy-Cons and using them in a leisurely position (meaning my arms were just kind of slumped down in a way that was comfortable). I wasn't blocking it or anything. Pretty worried about that.

Zelda looks pretty good on the Switch, but it looks better on the TV. I was hoping it would be the opposite, but the Switch screen just isn't as good as I hoped it would be. Black levels are bleh, color saturation and contrast are nothing to write home about. Viewing angles are good. It's better than the Gamepad screen easily, but it's just not that great.

I love the feeling of taking those Joy-Cons off, sliding them into a grip or just using them separated, and sliding them back in. It's very versatile and it feels solid as a handheld machine.

Biggest thing I want right now is for the system software to gain a lot more functionality, and that includes things like Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and Amazon, as well as a web browser, a proper way to search for and add friends, etc etc.

mkvl

Neo Member
My Switch pack did not have a plastic screen film included. Wasn't it suppose to have one? I think I watch some Switch impressions that said that one was included :(

Futaba

Seems there is a common issue with the back cover of the device coming away from the main frame near to the power button

8bzCg7H.jpg

mstevens

Sorry tried posting this earlier but Best Buy has terrible service. Should I switch out to my micro sd before booting the first time, or will that mess things up?

Elfstruck

Zelda looks pretty good on the Switch, but it looks better on the TV. I was hoping it would be the opposite, but the Switch screen just isn't as good as I hoped it would be. Black levels are bleh, color saturation and contrast are nothing to write home about. Viewing angles are good. It's better than the Gamepad screen easily, but it's just not that great.

Oh god, it looks bad? I just want the handheld mode ;_;

the official case is fine. it's not as firm as i expected it to be, but it will hold up in my bag. i can't figure out how to use it as a kickstand.

gotta agree on the screen. it's fine, but i thought Zelda would be cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom