• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

Do NOT get the Insignia case. It's straight garbage. Way too big. Your Switch slides all around on there. What were they thinking?!

yOyODLR.jpg

Vitacat

Maybe it's been awhile since I used a middle-of-the-road IPS screen. My three primary handheld devices right now (phone, tablet, and Vita) all have OLED, and phones like iPhone manage to do stuff with their screen to get it having really nice black levels and contrast. This looks just like a regular ol' IPS panel.

Again, I think MY expectations were too high. Maybe I should have been looking at this as a successor screen to 3DS or something, in which case I would be happy. But going from the devices I normally use to this, it's not that great.
For $300 including 2 very advanced controllers and a bunch of accessories, of course it's not going to be like a Samsung phone OLED. I think it's a very good screen, way better than anything Nintendo ever did before for sure.

Now, maybe the New Switch Advance Plus XLZ in 2 years from now will have a 7 inch OLED screen that blows this one away.

Do NOT get the Insignia case. It's straight garbage. Way too big. Your Switch slides all around on there. What were they thinking?!

yOyODLR.jpg
Damn, you're not kidding. Return for refund.

LaNaranja

I got the last pro controller at my Gamestop but the lady in front of me got the last red/blue joy cons so I will be unable to get an all blue/all red console until a later time. I will swing by Best Buy and Target tomorrow and hopefully they will have some in stock. Hopefully the system works too. I still need to remove my Wii U from my living room and figure out how and where I am going to place the Switch. I ordered Zelda and Bomberman from Amazon and the expected delivery is 3pm so I am just going to wait until tomorrow.

Futaba

yOyODLR.jpg

I'm going to have a wild stab in the dark and assume that Insignia developed that product based off of screenshots/photos of the switch before they had accurate measurements, and rushed it out the door before they could verify size, in order to make it for launch.

pronk420

I just realised something after mine arrived..

Since the battery isn't user replaceable, and people have said it runs down whilst playing Zelda even when docked, presumably that means at some point the battery will be so bad that it actually limits you to only play short times even when charging?

I really hope they can do something to fix that, I don't see why it can't maintain a charge while playing.

sapples

Neo Member
So, Nowhere to order one of these online yeah? Tried to go to the local walmart just now but they were already sold out :/

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Is the screen really that bad? I only ever planned on playing in portable. :( If the colors look really washed out when I get it in tomorrow, I may just return it.

I'm a complete screen snob. Probably one of the snobbiest folks out there.

Don't get me wrong - the Switch is a big step down from an S8 OLED phone, an OLED TV, or even a high-end Sony/Samsung non-OLED 4K. It's not an iPad. And it's not color accurate. It's most damning flaw is very poor black levels.

All that said, it's MORE than servicable, and is in no way "bad" considering the price and the other hardware. Don't be discouraged. It's the best handheld screen, ever.

MrBenchmark

Went to my local bestbuy to get my preorder I called and asked if they would be open at midnight they said yes. I get there it's dark nothing nobody. sat for a while slightly upset long day at work and staying up till 12 was a task.

i leave there and passing the Meijer store around tthe corner from bestbuy I said fuck and decided to just walk thru see what was going on there they are 24hrs. Walk to back of video game section stock guy walks out the back door sees me and asks if i need help i said just looking guy says if you want a switch i have tickets right here and hands me one. Ok Meijer you got me and my money. waited with a group of about 30 till 12 bought the switch and away i went. So i will just have to cancel my bestbuy preorder and get the money back.

I was just bent at being given the wrong info and then that fell in my lap. Got home set it up system is awesome setup was easy. It's so small but feels great. Zelda is glorious bought 1 2 switch too but will check that out after my grumpy ass gets some sleep.

I cant stop thinking about how good that pro controller is.

$70 was a lot but clearly they hit a home run with this thing. Feels better than any other controller I've ever used.

Impulsor

Since the battery isn't user replaceable, and people have said it runs down whilst playing Zelda even when docked, presumably that means at some point the battery will be so bad that it actually limits you to only play short times even when charging?

I really hope they can do something to fix that, I don't see why it can't maintain a charge while playing.

Is this for real?

Does the battery run down even when docked? That is stupid if true.

Futaba

Can you confirm that the system was actually receiving AC power in that docked state?, because if it was, it would seem like what you're saying is, the system discharges in docked mode when playing high load titles - this would kinda defeat the point of being able to pick it up and take it with you since you'd pick it up and find yourself at 0% battery

GeNoMe

So glad I'm not alone on this. I noticed the small gap on the back edge of my unit, and tried to press it back in place. But the gap persists.

Oh well, it's rly no big, everything else looks fine and no dead/stuck pixels. So as long as this doesn't become an issue later, I'm happy.

Here's mine I just picked up at Walmart tonight. Can clearly see the gap, didn't notice at first glance, until I inspected the unit more closely.

pic

Just checked out mine, It has the same gap. Doesn't seem like an issue of some sorts tbh.
The tablet's innards are a tight fit, if anything? It should be considered a minor design flaw. I'm not bothered by it.

Joqu

Gotta say my wireless internet connection is really spotty on the switch. like, when I stream one of those promo videos it just buffers all the time, and none of my other devices have connection issues.

I hope I can sort this out

Aiii

So not worth it

Can't decide if I want to start Zelda at work and not work for the rest of the day or just play one of the other games for an hour or so
and still not work all day

pronk420

Can you confirm that the system was actually receiving AC power in that docked state?, because if it was, it would seem like what you're saying is, the system discharges in docked mode when playing high load titles - this would kinda defeat the point of being able to pick it up and take it with you since you'd pick it up and find yourself at 0% battery

This was reported by a news outlet during the previews I thought, they said the battery went down by 12% whilst playing Zelda docked. I really hope they just messed up.

PrinceKee

So I used the same Nintendo ID on my Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. Are there any benefits to using the same one? I don't quite understand Nintendo online accounts and what all is linked going from one system to another. But, I'm in the process of changing all my online ID's to a new one so if there's no benefit and I don't have any old purchases I'm going to make a new one...

Ninja Dom

Is this for real?

Does the battery run down even when docked? That is stupid if true.

I haven't got my Switch yet (arrives today) but I think the battery may trickle down while playing Zelda in handheld mode with the charger in. This also happens with an iPad when playing intense games on that while charging.

As for docked mode, that can't be true. The display is off and graphics & sound are being sent to an independently powered device (the TV). Plus this would also have been an issue at all the different exhibitions and Switch demonstrations around the world.

Futaba

As for docked mode, that can't be true. The display is off and graphics & sound are being sent to an independently powered device (the TV). Plus this would also have been an issue at all the different exhibitions and Switch demonstrations around the world.
Yeah but it switches to performance mode when docked, don't forget that.

Joqu

Also, my eShop is in french. I'm guessing the fact that I'm Belgian has something to do with it, but I don't want french. Dutch or English would be acceptable. How do I try changing this?

Impulsor

I haven't got my Switch yet (arrives today) but I think the battery may trickle down while playing Zelda in handheld mode with the charger in. This also happens with an iPad when playing intense games on that while charging.

That isn't normal either.

pronk420

So it was from Kotaku (I saw the same thing posted on GAF as just battery runs down by 12% while playing Zelda docked, not mentioning the 88% thing):

The console apparently drains some of its battery even when docked — I’ll put it in the dock at 100% charge, play for a while, and when I take it out, it’ll say it’s at 88% charge. My colleague Jason and some others I’ve talked to have reported the same thing. It never goes below 88%, and I don’t believe the battery can run out in the dock. Still odd and a little annoying.

So hopefully they've done that on purpose for some unknown reason.

Ganrob

Neo Member
For anyone downloading the update on the go while tethered, the update weighs in at about 200MB.

At least that's what my hotspot data counter shows after the update finished.

Grizzo

I would like to know if there's a spreadsheet available anywhere to add other Gaffer to my friend list (and add my Friend Code to it as well)?

I cant stop thinking about how good that pro controller is.

$80 was a lot but clearly they hit a home run with this thing. Feels better than any other controller I've ever used.

I agree. But how the hell do I turn the controller off while the system is still on?

I just can't figure it out lol

Ninja Dom

For anyone downloading the update on the go while tethered, the update weighs in at about 200MB.

At least that's what my hotspot data counter shows after the update finished.

Thanks for that.

I'm picking my Switch up this morning from my parents and their wifi isn't too fast so I'll hotspot off my 4G phone connection.

Joqu

Also, my eShop is in french. I'm guessing the fact that I'm Belgian has something to do with it, but I don't want french. Dutch or English would be acceptable. How do I try changing this?

Okay, so changing the system language to dutch makes my eshop dutch, but if it's english my eshop is french with seemingly no way to change this. On the Wii U this was no problem.

This is annoying, because dutch system language instead of english is going to make my games dutch when supported, and that's not how I want to play them. WTF.

Now that more people have it in their hands, is anyone else having huge wifi problems? I have all my consoles in the second floor, and my router on the ground floor, while I have an extender on the first floor to make the signal reach all the way upstairs. For some reason the switch can only connect to the router itself, and not to the extender like all my other devices, making the connection pretty bad and very unstable, and so far I always had to carry it downstairs to download for me. Does anyone have any idea how I could possibly fix this? Or does anyone else even have this kind of problem?

with my router (apple time capsule) upstairs and switch dock downstairs, i'm fluctuating between one and two bars of wi-fi signal. weird, because i've never seen that from any other device before.

i can just bring the tablet upstairs if i need a faster download i guess but hopefully it doesn't affect online play much.

Gotta say my wireless internet connection is really spotty on the switch. like, when I stream one of those promo videos it just buffers all the time, and none of my other devices have connection issues.

I hope I can sort this out

This happened to me with a JP eShop video too..I think it's an issue with their buffering not wifi speed.

Patrick S.

Banned
Went to the Media Markt today to get a PS4 because it's on sale, there were TONS of Switches available in both color options, and there were dozens of people buying them, some even got two or three. The guy in front of me bought the console, Zelda, the Zelda guide, and another game. He spent almost six hundred Euros :O

pringles

Woo! Was able to walk into my local electronics store and pick up a Switch+Zelda. Small group of people were waiting outside for the store to open which is unusual in this small town. Very mixed ages and guys/girls too so not just the typical gamer.
Can't wait to get this thing set up!

ekim

Anyone else's right joyCon is creaking a bit when attached to the console in handheld mode? The lower right can be "moved" a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom