• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

Picked up my copy of Zelda and left with a Pro Controller (have another one coming from Amazon).

I'll use one on my computer for now.

vgamer1

Anyone elses joycons sound weird when rumbling? I'm playing Fast RMX and puyo puyo Tetris in bed in handheld mode with the sound down and the rumble sounds sorta hollow, like it's reverberating the switch.

Bsigg12

I can't get over how small the Joycon are. It's almost hard to play at first as you're getting used to the feel of it.

That damn thing is sleek though.

Nerazar

You mean if I buy a US eShop card and use it on the Japanese account it'll work?

I phrased it ambigiously: so the eShop cards don't have "Switch" written on them yet, that's what I meant. You can use those cards as long as the currency matches your account - for the US, you need US eShop cards and for Japan Japanese ones.

I will probably top up my account via play asia codes at some point. The only reason to do so would be Disgaea 5 for now, but let's see what Japan has to offer after some months. :)

VanWinkle

Oh god, it looks bad? I just want the handheld mode ;_;

Maybe it's been awhile since I used a middle-of-the-road IPS screen. My three primary handheld devices right now (phone, tablet, and Vita) all have OLED, and phones like iPhone manage to do stuff with their screen to get it having really nice black levels and contrast. This looks just like a regular ol' IPS panel.

Again, I think MY expectations were too high. Maybe I should have been looking at this as a successor screen to 3DS or something, in which case I would be happy. But going from the devices I normally use to this, it's not that great.

Thewonandonly

Damn I'm a little bitch boy and camp since 3 to 12 so 8 hours... and now I'm going to bed because I'm tired as hell. O well have all day tomarow to play it besides seine Logan and 3 :)

Elfstruck

Maybe it's been awhile since I used a middle-of-the-road IPS screen. My three primary handheld devices right now (phone, tablet, and Vita) all have OLED, and phones like iPhone manage to do stuff with their screen to get it having really nice black levels and contrast. This looks just like a regular ol' IPS panel.

Again, I think MY expectations were too high. Maybe I should have been looking at this as a successor screen to 3DS or something, in which case I would be happy. But going from the devices I normally use to this, it's not that great.

Urgh goddam it, I also have been spoiled by OLED screen. I'm gonna wait for Zelda to arrive and test on it.

Mirk

So after getting everything set up. I will say this is a nice piece of kit. Everything went great. Very fast and smooth. Much better then the wii u launch night. Eshop is still to slow and not all of the games are up yet? Going to let botw d/l while I sleep. I was also weak at pick up. Best Buy had all the zelda amiibo set up so I bought one of each >.<

leng jai

First impressions are that playing Zelda in handheld mode feels like something from the future and playing in in docked mode feels like I'm playing a dodgy Wii U game. The difference is insane.

Because the docking LED doesn't ever light up when inserting the switch and the handheld's display remains active.
So I tried plugging the power cable directly into the handheld console and it does not charge:

yJZpTonqlTHQjghoQm_6Oywsy_TdlM0XwpZ7YuTu2pDok00GuBARoA2O-8gzfdRTcZMjLzuLhMgs2SCRf1V1yD2IoKOU2fEvU268dYVltK-Rk4bBQrDh1YmoDPXO9Rku8tAIvaTpyF5iOrTNkyKdZe_1yazZk5YO4KF1-Rfia8sAm2OZmIJTTXzRDe7DZ3iQa43J5IrWBXR-_jimIpos5nozRXl0r9T0W6DNIgUhNj-DwLJHgUeSgjmBGWTz_Kd9CAfDkw7Ss17FwbJfXzu_O3yle1yTDgBqChNHktkEBOObipU27QfBxbCccQtCHyLMzw0vpRD9CURyqGHMxU4YlHFuWys1l-yLqnHJC-KvYlL35RR5_YauxlaH3en9bM_i8c6eUWdWI2mYefkm4h09hKAnag-nW9ea49jllejqmPkkgSmxlKBs6osb4iu-0vb2vYYocjW1xiZ__qIL6qA2q3MqvJoTDJOh8lP2r0gyvE6cHaf1nttDsk4NRQy0fBFVsAG5Bq7V2E2Is_zdrzvIVAZKU4hLQY6jr0BNtViuiMpAblaRZ7zSSPRZK4K7YTZ1qFpOdmKh9GIbx1de7-2DKoZGoHH-X9_jyHLPL0FF4-kyxDa9Jogs8A=w1644-h1232-no

But when I plug in the pro-controller USB adapter into the console, then it shows a charge symbol:

YP-ogz_GMFvPVVIvm4FfaaHkLR7ByUqKlb76gQ5psXV0C10VWbievA7Fxn8LPnS9TBdUSGrbAnXUkBOv_pu_k9ieF8bIuM4Je7gdjlN9IGtHD-keIJbOOqodx7Dygen8OYnh_Az7Ww5paYM8UNUPzywCHSojs3lgKsGQSsYcI4Q94UcKWqD9LVrlUvtREWXe5NqnGO8i8QmO3sB2MLtyj_XqJntJLOtD9IBQFFnvhjjNHeU__ztbNx-xVUXYq6uDmRp8Ihnc5qWU8RUt7DQbpWD--KLfAEKAkfvCTzL7ZCmp_FTwBXA5916wJhw7jCDNWVMmVr5QWg_0SIYW53hf3-mbFw-t93WW6ZVvFsQWHV5lUb9iQyhD9DfczoF1q-hZhGWVbv_02PS-bMRW-nV07XxwdG0ZTC6bbuS9-txbJ_At1braeY5J47OZ0gJwdwqqniQbCQv51hzGhtXoGX7Df6GLEVVaRY3KwKqN2Okoe_5hzsJh7Ae6oVVjEioizafLYPpslOn1H39U2_DB5t7BqNT4jkxGBicI2TF3K7bNI1WlGH336XmBc2jSS6UkcKvP3O-fSwsh01RBlXZKyDZmAYOmXqE03f3qLVBos-pnnduOowWoOA=w1644-h1232-no

Went to my GameStop to pick up my Switch, Zelda, Bomberman, and Pro controller. I love this console/Handheld. Zelda is incredible. I love it. Well done Nintendo I think you're on to something with this hybrid console!

TLZ

Banned
They're not VC, though, they're just ports like the arcade games on PS4

Oh alright. I thought they were part of the VC for some reason and these trickled.

There's something really off with the joycons. The right one keeps non responding and lagging. What is up with this.

So after getting everything set up. I will say this is a nice piece of kit. Everything went great. Very fast and smooth. Much better then the wii u launch night. Eshop is still to slow and not all of the games are up yet? Going to let botw d/l while I sleep. I was also weak at pick up. Best Buy had all the zelda amiibo set up so I bought one of each >.<

I wish my experience was the same as yours. Setting it up I ran into multiple problems getting it connected to my router, but managed in the end. It was no where as bad as my Wii U experience.

vall03

Just got my Switch here in the Philippines and I now know why the price is fucking inflated here in SEA, Zelda and 1-2 Switch are bundled, but I didn't know there were included amiibos. The whole thing cost me almost $500, but I also bought a screen protector and a pouch

Do we know yet if redownloading your games on a new system works like it does on Xbox and PS4? As in, if my switch were to break and I buy a new one, could I redownload my games without having to contact Nintendo?

Anyone else have a downloaded game error on them after it fully downloads? It's happened to me twice already with Zelda so I keep having to redownload it and IT IS SO SLOW.

Kintaco

Launch was going too smooth for me so leave it to Gamestop to fuck me out of my Zelda Special Edition. One more reason never to shop there no matter how close they are. At least the Best Buy experience read much better.

jlscool

Does anyone know if I turn the Switch completely off if it charges the system or do I have to keep it in Sleep mode? I don't see any lights after turning the system off, so I can't really tell if it is charging or not.

GeNoMe

How is the official case guys? Any room for cartridges?
Don't believe so. I'm still getting it though, the other cases are a but too bulky for my taste. I will be carrying one game at a time, which will be inserted into the switch itself.

KingBroly

Banned
While the Parental Controls App is nice for having Play History (which it only keeps track of IF they're on), it bogs everything down. Not recommended.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Tbh we are just stupid xD once I got mine off I took the time to look at it and it is clearly labeled on how to attach it.

Yes, but kids are going to get it stuck and not be able to get it off. It is far too easy to put it on wrong.

Charadis

Seems there is a common issue with the back cover of the device coming away from the main frame near to the power button

So glad I'm not alone on this. I noticed the small gap on the back edge of my unit, and tried to press it back in place. But the gap persists.

Oh well, it's rly no big, everything else looks fine and no dead/stuck pixels. So as long as this doesn't become an issue later, I'm happy.

Here's mine I just picked up at Walmart tonight. Can clearly see the gap, didn't notice at first glance, until I inspected the unit more closely.

pL0WV9L.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Cross-posting:

Played for a solid hour tonight.

VERY first impressions - super early.

The Switch "console" itself was smaller than I expected.

The Joy-Cons make the thing super wide, though.

Joy-Cons are okay, but the Pro Controller is an absolute MUST for TV play.

Image quality on the 6" 720p display is certainly "good enough" - no complaints here

Screen itself is decent. It's IPS with decent viewing angles, but doesn't hold a candle to a high-end phone or tablet. Pretty much every screen I use day-to-day is better (iPhone 7, iPad Pro, 4K Samsung TV, IPS G-Sync Monitor, etc)

Zelda wow's right from the start. 60 seconds of hand-holding and then BOOM, you're free to explore.

I spent 60+ minutes just wandering around and the sense of exploration has been great

The kickstand is absolute shit. It's cheap. It has a terrible position. It doesn't support the device very well. A Surface like hinge is REALLY needed.

Game ran well on the handheld - docked to the TV is a more enjoyable experience, but holy framerate drops. Pretty bad. Just running around open fields it struggled to maintain 30 fps. Surprised this wasn't mentioned more - I noticed it instantly.

rockx4

Just got mine during midnight pickup. It was crazy, only 20 or so preorders, but like 70+ walk in. Line wrapped around the building, so I have no idea how many were actually in line.
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EPv9nXp.jpg[/IMG]

The Switch is way smaller than I expected. Even after seeing all those hands on videos and pictures, I'm still surprised by how tiny it all is.

So impressed with the console. I.have large hands and the joycons feel great, but as soon as I touched that pro controller, man. Wow.

I want to play all my games with this controller. It feels incredible to hold. I rebought shovel Knight just to have it to play on this controller.

I wish it worked backwards compatible with the wiiu as well.

Too sleepy to play more Zelda tonight.

Booted up the dragon quest heroes demo from JP eShop, and impressed with how nice it looked. It didn't run so good though.

Um, so how do I turn off the pro controller without having to go into settings and disconnect the pro controller? There has to be an easier way, right?

Nintendad

I set up my Switch to post pictures on facebook and thought I made it so only I can see the posts, but I made Friends Only. Any way to change that on facebook? it's not letting me change it on the Switch.

sleepnaught

Is the screen really that bad? I only ever planned on playing in portable. :( If the colors look really washed out when I get it in tomorrow, I may just return it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom