• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am still up in the air about physical and digital myself.

I have a 128, but nothing says I couldn't buy a second one and just put games on them rather than dealing with the carts.

I did buy Zelda though at the store. Probably should have done a download ...

The real question is if you can install zelda after already playing the cart and still maintain your save from your cart version?

ParityBit

The real question is if you can install zelda after already playing the cart and still maintain your save from your cart version?

That is a good question too. I have no idea.

looks like it'll work. it's USB C and 5V. what's up with the one you got with the Switch or you just want a spare?

I was wondering this too. In my case it is for my bedside charging, not the dock charging (plus travel). I picked up a cable, but no charger. I am using a USB outlet on the sound wave machine on my bedside table for now ... hoping that is okay and doesn't break anything.

I found a pro controller at Target but I didn't get it. I'm pretty okay with playing with the joycons together as a controller. Does anyone know yet how well it works as a pc controller? I do want it but not if it's not really needed.

Yes it's been confirmed over at r/NintendoSwitch on reddit that the saves can be used by both digital and physical versions. And the change can be either way, so from digital->physical and physical->digital.

Edit: Also, when you change from one format to the other, the Switch keeps the same game icon on your home screen, but will add or remove the little game cart logo depending on what you're changing to.

Yes it's been confirmed over at r/NintendoSwitch on reddit that the saves can be used by both digital and physical versions. And the change can be either way, so from digital->physical and physical->digital.

Awesome so I could sell my cart used to friend at a discount to go digital if needed.

I don't know if it's the good thread to ask but i'm looking for a good case to carry my switch, anyone has advices ? I'm in Europe.

This is in my opinion the absolute best carrying case I have ever purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W585TW7/?tag=neogaf0e-20

81cs5OewmGL._SL1500_.jpg

91LK7J3DFWL._SL1500_.jpg

Quoting for new page.

I don't need it to charge while playing, as I don't play while charging. My concern is the battery getting borked by the charger.

From what I've read, quick chargers are actually worse with the Switch. My experience was bad. I used the quick charge wall unit that shipped with my galaxy, and it seemed like no charge was occurring as I played. Then I used a wall unit that came with my kindle like 5 years ago and that charged my Switch better.

RootCause

I found a pro controller at Target but I didn't get it. I'm pretty okay with playing with the joycons together as a controller. Does anyone know yet how well it works as a pc controller? I do want it but not if it's not really needed.

I got a Pro, and while I think it's a great controller. I find myself using the joy cons all the time.
That is a good question too. I have no idea.

I was wondering this too. In my case it is for my bedside charging, not the dock charging (plus travel). I picked up a cable, but no charger. I am using a USB outlet on the sound wave machine on my bedside table for now ... hoping that is okay and doesn't break anything.

looks like it'll work. it's USB C and 5V. what's up with the one you got with the Switch or you just want a spare?
I needed a spare one for travel, and moving around the house. :)

I know it won't change the speed, but I just need it to charge at the same speed as the official charger while the system isn't in use. If it can do that, and not mess up the battery then I'm set.

This is in my opinion the absolute best carrying case I have ever purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W585TW7/?tag=neogaf0e-20

81cs5OewmGL._SL1500_.jpg

91LK7J3DFWL._SL1500_.jpg

That looks like a nice case. With plenty of space for carts.

From what I've read, quick chargers are actually worse with the Switch. My experience was bad. I used the quick charge wall unit that shipped with my galaxy, and it seemed like no charge was occurring as I played. Then I used a wall unit that came with my kindle like 5 years ago and that charged my Switch better.
Well that sucks. I'll see once it arrives. Yep, I didn't check if it works. 🤦

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I got a Pro, and while I think it's a great controller. I find myself using the joy cons all the time.

I needed a spare one for travel, and moving around the house. :)

Does the quick charging affect the switch battery? I just need it to charge at the same speed as the official charger while the system isn't in use.

That looks like a nice case. With plenty of space for carts.

if the switch + charger support quick charging then it won't be a problem. if either one doesn't support it then it'll charge just fine. the charger isn't gonna overload the switch or anything.

javadoze

Took a break off Persona 5 to play the Waiwai Spelunker demo. The music is pretty darn catchy for its own good. I might consider getting this if it comes stateside.

Haunted

I don't know if it's the good thread to ask but i'm looking for a good case to carry my switch, anyone has advices ? I'm in Europe.
I'm happy with my Hori tough pouch. Enough space for the tablet with joycons attached and some carts, semi hard shell for protection without being too bulky/uncomfortable to carry in my bag. A cheap option that does its job.

So I did some investigating with a few different audio and video setups. It seems the Switch "Mirror TV Power State" only works when there's a full chain of HDMI-CEC enabled devices. If the chain is incomplete (no compliant TV/display) or broken then it doesn't work as intended.

Over on PS4 and Apple TV this HDMI-CEC "power control" feature works across all scenarios.

Note: all devices in this test are HDMI compliant except where noted*

SETUP 1:
Switch -> TV
Result 1:
Power control OK (as expected)

SETUP 2:
Switch -> AVR -> TV
Result 2:
Power control OK (as expected)

SETUP 3:
Switch -> TV*
Result 3:
No power control (as expected)

SETUP 4:
Switch -> AVR -> Projector*
Result 4:
No power control (unexpected)

SETUP 5:
Switch -> AVR -> TV*
Result 5:
No power control (unexpected)

The fix for this is easy, in that the Switch should still send the power control commands even if there's no TV/Display present on the HDMI-CEC bus.

Persona7

Banned
Anyone get a new switch in the latest shipment over the past few days? Trying to figure out how serial numbers work in relation to shipments.

The one my friend got today is like 700034 while the launch unit is 700045.

Persona7

Banned
So is the switch readily in stock yet? I havent heard anything about it. Man listening to DKCTF OST at work and now I want this on Switch...

Walmart got a massive shipment today locally. Every store got 20+ and a ton of NES classics. I would call and check because people on the east coast are reporting the same. It seems shipments are getting bumped on a weekly basis now.

Walmart got a massive shipment today locally. Every store got 20+ and a ton of NES classics. I would call and check because people on the east coast are reporting the same. It seems shipments are getting bumped on a weekly basis now.
Hmm thats good, I already have one from launch but its good people are getting it now

japtor

Quoting for new page.

I don't need it to charge while playing, as I don't play while charging. My concern is the battery getting borked by the charger.
Posted in the other thread you asked about it, copy pasting here:

"Well it's advertising QC over USB-C (bad) in the pictures but doesn't mention it in the description, other than comparing USB-C's charge rate compared to QC 2.0. And there's only a few reviews, of which are a few negative."

Longer answer, if you want to go all USB-C (cause reversible connectors are awesome and the future is bright), for now at least I'd stick with trusted/tested stuff. It's still kinda early (...over two years in now!) so there's a lot of questionable implementations. If you don't really care about it, USB-A stuff works fine. There's still potentially shady stuff (look up counterfeit iPhone charger incidents a while back) but it's generally more understood spec wise (I would hope) and less chance of shit going wrong. Well the USB-C caveat still applies to the USB-A to C cable, get something trustworthy there too.

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone know if plugging in a new unit to charge will turn it on and start the initial set up process? I want to charge the one I got for my friend before they pick it up but I don't want it to turn on.

Edit: It did turn on and start going through the start up process.

japtor

Does anyone know if plugging in a new unit to charge will turn it on and start the initial set up process? I want to charge the one I got for my friend before they pick it up but I don't want it to turn on.
Worst case if it does turn on you should be able to just turn it off (hold power button down) or do the system reset thing in settings.

Vitacat

I've heard that Scorpio might be able to play old Xbox One games so the verdict is out on this one.

Eh? Switch is a hybrid console and handheld. Xbox is a console, in all its iterations. Period. Therefore Switch is, by default, superior at handheld games. Did I really need to explain that?

The other day a friend of mine spotted his local walmart having 3 of the gray Switch in. He got one but I passed in hopes of grabbing a neon...but no dice yet.

Do we know when stores like Walmart get shipments in? I know with Skylanders it was always Thursday at TRU but I dunno if Walmart has specific days when they get their stuff in or what.

I'm really feeling it now!

kIdMuScLe

Is there a workaround to connecting to a connection that uses WPA2 enterprise logins? I'm gonna bummed out that I won't be able to play online at work

RootCause

Posted in the other thread you asked about it, copy pasting here:

"Well it's advertising QC over USB-C (bad) in the pictures but doesn't mention it in the description, other than comparing USB-C's charge rate compared to QC 2.0. And there's only a few reviews, of which are a few negative."

Longer answer, if you want to go all USB-C (cause reversible connectors are awesome and the future is bright), for now at least I'd stick with trusted/tested stuff. It's still kinda early (...over two years in now!) so there's a lot of questionable implementations. If you don't really care about it, USB-A stuff works fine. There's still potentially shady stuff (look up counterfeit iPhone charger incidents a while back) but it's generally more understood spec wise (I would hope) and less chance of shit going wrong. Well the USB-C caveat still applies to the USB-A to C cable, get something trustworthy there too.

Reading through the 22 reviews.

The only complaint seems to be the lack of quick charging. I thought that wouldn't matter for the switch since it doesn't support it anyway.

Do you think this might harm the switch battery?

What chargers are trusted/tested?

sfried

I'm now thinking of buying a MicroSD card. I'm surprised how the 32GB manage to still last me this long.

The question now is which microSD card out there has the best performance, a large amount of storage, and a price that's not unreasonable? The 200GB San Disk ones are roughly $77, and I see a good deal of 128GB ranging around $40, but seems like their write speeds aren't as great.

Also loking into a Waterford case as I'll be heading on a trip in a few months, but man it looks to be an investment ($100+).

ultrazilla

Man, people weren't kidding when they said the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller was one of the best controllers they've ever used, besting the Xbox and Sony controllers.

I'm of the same opinion. It is amazing. It has weight and a quality build but not overly heavy and it is amazingly comfortable holding it in your hands while playing. All the button placements, buttons, directional pad and sticks feel soooo good and responsive. This has taken the title from the Xbox One controller from me. Nintendo has hit it out of the park with their Switch Pro Controller. I don't even feel bad for spending the $70+ dollars for it.

EDIT: I bought and installed a 32 gig Sandisk micro sd hc card for my Switch. All I had to do was put it in, correct? Or do I have to do something to the card before I can use it for the Switch? It shows the card being in the system but I thought I would see options to move games to the card freeing up the internal memory but see no such options?! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57T02/?tag=neogaf0e-20

jts

...hate me...
Man, people weren't kidding when they said the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller was one of the best controllers they've ever used, besting the Xbox and Sony controllers.

I'm of the same opinion. It is amazing. It has weight and a quality build but not overly heavy and it is amazingly comfortable holding it in your hands while playing. All the button placements, buttons, directional pad and sticks feel soooo good and responsive. This has taken the title from the Xbox One controller from me. Nintendo has hit it out of the park with their Switch Pro Controller. I don't even feel bad for spending the $70+ dollars for it.

It really is amazing, I almost feel bad for barely taking the Joy-cons out of the console anymore lol.
They will come handy again for Mario Kart local multi.

Over a month later and I can't put the thing down. Ive played my PS4 maybe 2-3 times and stopped to go back to Zelda.
Yeah, having some trouble putting this thing down lol. Doesn't help that I can take it to work with me. I have five PS4, XBO, and Wii U games just sitting there shrinkwrapped and unplayed...

watershed

Banned
Saw a bunch of pro controllers today and was sorely tempted. But I mostly play undocked and can't quite stomach the price yet. Bery appealing controller though.

Sorry if this is off topic, but can anyone tell me how i can change my home screen to display more games? Right now it's all in a single row and I have to scroll to see all my games

Sorry if this is off topic, but can anyone tell me how i can change my home screen to display more games? Right now it's all in a single row and I have to scroll to see all my games
There's no organisational features yet but once you fill up the row with 12 games you can see all your software in a more open format.

0racle

Guys

Can save games be transfered in any way shape or form? What about within the SAME system between profiles?

I lent my system and Zelda to a good friend, his save is on there under my main account. I want to play Zelda without over writing his save file. How do I do this?

F34R

Guys

Can save games be transfered in any way shape or form? What about within the SAME system between profiles?

I lent my system and Zelda to a good friend, his save is on there under my main account. I want to play Zelda without over writing his save file. How do I do this?

Create a new profile.

mozfan12

Banned
I've hit a crazy collectionist streak with the Switch. I prefer physical and it's awesome in a nostalgic way to go back to cartridges. I really do hope more companies put an effort to their physical releases like the Binding of Isaac. Kinda sucks to open a box and see that there isn't even any back cover art.

gagecube

Banned
I've got some things to say about the switch. When it was first revealed whenever that was, I thought the concept was pretty cool. Nintendo wasn't seeming like they were trying to invent another mega gimmick, it actually seemed like they were trying to push a gimmick that served a worthwhile purpose. Then I saw that Zelda was basically the only AAA game that it would get for a while. Mario Kart is a port right? I didn't care about bomberman, 12S, and whatever else it launched with. Knowing what it is meant to be, I was still kind of disappointed with its specs and how it still seemed like Nintendo was a generation behind with graphics and performance. Etc etc, I had pretty much decided I didn't wanna drop that kind of money on it for Zelda and Not much of anything

Long story short I had never mentioned wanting one or anything and the other day my dad randomly gifted me a neon switch and Zelda, left it with my wife until I got home. Caught me off guard but I was glad at least I could play BOTW. It's great, the console and that game. Actually spending time with the switch made me realize what it's all about. In a nutshell, the things just fun. I played Zelda today at the doctors office for a good 45 minutes. It was perfect. I hope Nintendo brings the heat game wise with this thing. I'm actually excited about Mario kart on the go with a legit joystic and portable screen. I'm actually appreciating the non AAA rehashes that probably wouldn't work on that console anyway, seems like they're in the business of making just fun little games.

TLDR: I kind of shit on the switch for a long time but received one and kind of love it now

Tubie

Here's my library:
xlutLig.jpg

That imagine reminds me of how many games I still wanna get for my Switch, and Mario Kart comes in just 3 weeks!

Between my PS4 and Switch this has been an insanely overwhelming start of the year for me with games.

There will be no summer drought for me cause I doubt I'll be done with my backlog before the fall-winter releases start coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom