• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarAdept

Is anyone getting some weird "refresh" line every now and again? It only happened recently and in docked mode, but it's basically a slow moving horizontal line that travels down the screen and the image on top (or the bottom) is milliseconds in front/behind of the other image.

F34R

Right, but I want to keep using my main profile or Nintendo account/user name. How does this affect things?

Can I transfer saves between profiles ?

No you can't transfer them from profile to profile. If you don't want to mess up his saves, then don't use the account his save is linked to.

watershed

Banned
Well, I had a small hdtv lying around so I decided to hook up my Switch and I'm now seriously playing Zelda docked for the first time and it's incredible. The two experiences, docked and undocked, are so different it makes the Switch feel like a revelation all over again, 1 month after launch.

Ottaro

Well my Switch just froze up on me I think. :[ It's only been two weeks.

Playing Zelda, docked, with the pro controller. Was playing for about an hour and was ready to quit so I hit the home button to go to the home menu, but nothing happened. Every other button was responsive. So I held down on the home button and the side menu for putting it in sleep mode popped up, but all of my button presses registered in zelda instead of on the menu. I couldn't select anything.

So I undocked and tried pressing the home button on the joycon. No response. So I hold the power button on top of the switch and the power option menu popped up but now it's completely locked on that screen. I can't do anything now. I'm just waiting for the battery to die I guess.

This sucks. Has anyone else encountered this? Any solutions?

edit: d'oh. It would help if I actually google it first. Nintendo support page said to hold the power down for 10 seconds and that worked.

Oreoleo

Well, I had a small hdtv lying around so I decided to hook up my Switch and I'm now seriously playing Zelda docked for the first time and it's incredible. The two experiences, docked and undocked, are so different it makes the Switch feel like a revelation all over again, 1 month after launch.

Meanwhile I'm going in the opposite direction. Started out docked like 90% of the time, but I've recently discovered just how disgustingly comfortable it is to play in bed or on the couch in "bellytop" mode with the joycons detached. Haven't played docked in like 4 or 5 days now, only using it to charge.

How long did you hold down power button for? After 10-20 seconds it should force a reboot even if the console is frozen/unresponsive.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
My Switch will be coming on Tuesday now!! Amazon were saying 18th but just got an email saying it'll be here on the 11th.

Can't wait to get back into Zelda.

0racle

No you can't transfer them from profile to profile. If you don't want to mess up his saves, then don't use the account his save is linked to.

Thanks, If I set up an account, is that an entirely new Nintendo account/email/username? Or is it system based, Almost like a folder that is still tied to my Nintendo account and purchases ?

My Boyfriend bought me a Switch 2 days ago ! So happy right now ! I live in France, in the deep, DEEP countryside. We went to the only supermarket here and saw...some Switch ?! I was like "whaaaat ?! this thing is sold out everywhere !" (my friends in big cities cannot find it anywhere). SO he asked the reception if they really had some Switch...and there was one left. The guy at the reception was like "here we go, I will pick it up for you" while I was not sure my boyfriend really planned to buy it...and here I am, happy owner of a Switch. Now step 2 is to get at least ONE game ;-)
I am really impressed by the thing...great screen, super intuitive and nice concept.

LordKano

Here's my library:
xlutLig.jpg

Dayum, that's a lot of games.

I've got some things to say about the switch. When it was first revealed whenever that was, I thought the concept was pretty cool. Nintendo wasn't seeming like they were trying to invent another mega gimmick, it actually seemed like they were trying to push a gimmick that served a worthwhile purpose. Then I saw that Zelda was basically the only AAA game that it would get for a while. Mario Kart is a port right? I didn't care about bomberman, 12S, and whatever else it launched with. Knowing what it is meant to be, I was still kind of disappointed with its specs and how it still seemed like Nintendo was a generation behind with graphics and performance. Etc etc, I had pretty much decided I didn't wanna drop that kind of money on it for Zelda and Not much of anything

Long story short I had never mentioned wanting one or anything and the other day my dad randomly gifted me a neon switch and Zelda, left it with my wife until I got home. Caught me off guard but I was glad at least I could play BOTW. It's great, the console and that game. Actually spending time with the switch made me realize what it's all about. In a nutshell, the things just fun. I played Zelda today at the doctors office for a good 45 minutes. It was perfect. I hope Nintendo brings the heat game wise with this thing. I'm actually excited about Mario kart on the go with a legit joystic and portable screen. I'm actually appreciating the non AAA rehashes that probably wouldn't work on that console anyway, seems like they're in the business of making just fun little games.

TLDR: I kind of shit on the switch for a long time but received one and kind of love it now

Glad you're enjoying it! I too was slightly hesitant because I don't generally buy portable systems but I've found myself playing it undocked a fair bit. Going on a 3 hour bus ride each way next month and actually looking forward to taking the Switch and playing Mario Kart. And yeah, I've not owned a Nintendo system since the Gamecube so loving the "it's just fun" mentality

0racle

New email, username. Remember to pick correct region when you make that new profile.

That is such shit. I can't just create a simple profile on the switch for local players quick and easy ?

All using my main email adress/user name/digital purchase?

epmode

Just bought a pro controller and I found that it makes a little clicking noise every time I move an analog stick out of neutral. It's driving me nuts and it doesn't happen with any of my other controllers (including the joycons). Is this normal for the Switch pro controller? I've already returned another pro for the same reason (although it only affected one of the two sticks)

Just bought a pro controller and I found that it makes a little clicking noise every time I move an analog stick out of neutral. It's driving me nuts and it doesn't happen with any of my other controllers (including the joycons). Is this normal for the Switch pro controller? I've already returned another pro for the same reason (although it only affected one of the two sticks)

Mine does indeed make the faintest of clicking noises but only noticed it now you've mentioned it and I won't notice it while actually gaming

FX-GMC

I've noticed this with my Pro Controller. I initially had the same noise with my Xbox Elite but I believe it went away with use.

I can't hear either while I'm gaming so I'm not worried about it.

Mine is loud enough that I easily hear it if my volume is low.

You might have really good hearing.

Mknzy

Running into an odd issue. I'm trying to connect to a wi-fi network I have connected to before, and it keeps throwing an error code and crashing my system. Has anybody else run into this?

My switch is essentially a neogeo machine and I love that.

Man, I've missed out on so many games from a combination of having no money as a kid and not buying the Wii systems my wallet is sweating at the concept of more neogeo games and the virtual console. You hear that, Nintendo? Shut up and take my money!

Seik

Banned
It's been a little bit more than a month and...I spent of lot in the thing. I'm always playing it, portable factor is a big plus.

I have a lot of games though, so I'm not suffering any post-Zelda down. (Also have BMZ & Snipperclips DL'd, will probably buy the cool shmup that came out yesterday this week-end too.) :lol

I'm good enough until MK8D comes out!

Kyzer

Banned
is anyone elses pro controller stick getting scratched by the rim surrounding i? I have white lines of scuff around both sticks just from rubbing up against the controller from use

tenacioushe

Neo Member
Well my Switch just froze up on me I think. :[ It's only been two weeks.

Playing Zelda, docked, with the pro controller. Was playing for about an hour and was ready to quit so I hit the home button to go to the home menu, but nothing happened. Every other button was responsive. So I held down on the home button and the side menu for putting it in sleep mode popped up, but all of my button presses registered in zelda instead of on the menu. I couldn't select anything.

So I undocked and tried pressing the home button on the joycon. No response. So I hold the power button on top of the switch and the power option menu popped up but now it's completely locked on that screen. I can't do anything now. I'm just waiting for the battery to die I guess.

edit: d'oh. It would help if I actually google it first. Nintendo support page said to hold the power down for 10 seconds and that worked.

Mine did the same exact thing the other day. Weird for sure, power cycled it and it hasn't happened since.

Blues1990

It's been a little bit more than a month and...I spent of lot in the thing. I'm always playing it, portable factor is a big plus.

I have a lot of games though, so I'm not suffering any post-Zelda down. (Also have BMZ & Snipperclips DL'd, will probably buy the cool shmup that came out yesterday this week-end too.) :lol

I'm good enough until MK8D comes out!

With regards to that physical copy of 'I am Setsuna', did you print out that slip cover and inserted into the Japanese retail copy? I honestly didn't know you could play the CERO release (especially if it has the English translation) on a NA/EUR Switch.

I have Breath of the Wild (physical), 1-2 Switch! (digital), and SnipperClips for the system, but I want to add more retail games. What would you recommend?

madmook

That is such shit. I can't just create a simple profile on the switch for local players quick and easy ?

All using my main email adress/user name/digital purchase?
You can make purely local profiles without linking to a Nintendo account. Don't need any e-mail or anything else at all.

I made a throwaway/secondary profile to get a new game goin on Zelda.

Seik

Banned
With regards to that physical copy of 'I am Setsuna', did you print out that slip cover and inserted into the Japanese retail copy? I honestly didn't know you could play the CERO release (especially if it has the English translation) on a NA/EUR Switch.

Yeah, this is a Japanese copy I bought on Play-Asia and I got the custom cover on reddit and ThatsMyTrunks made me a printable format. I just reuploaded it on Abload, so I don't know if it'll keep the same format, but I printed the original file in 8 X 10 and it came out perfect.

And yep, it plays on NA Switch and it's in English. :)

VariantX

Welp, I guess as of 6:18 PM yesterday, I, too am a Switch owner. Went to target yesterday and happened to buy the last switch unit left at Target. Bought what 99% of people bought with their Switch a copy of BotW and a Pro Controller and later Blaster Master Zero on the eShop.

The pro controller is officially my favorite controller now, mainly because unlike my DS4, I don't need to charge it one or multiple times a day. I probably wont have to charge this thing until the end of next week if the battery capacity holds true. Feels super comfortable to hold, buttons feel nice and the sticks feel good but have just the right amount of give to them to not feel uncomfortable to hold yet not flimsy enough to feel them shredding through use like the some of the early batches of DS4 controllers. As for the HD rumble, it is a thing...but its no where near the "thing" Nintendo makes it out to be. If I could describe it, It feels like you get significantly more information out of the vibrations than you would with standard rumble because they're more nuanced, but I feel like I'm going to tune it out once I get used to it unless the game actually ties it in to work well and supplement the games mechanics.

As for Zelda... I set up my system and started playing around 7-7:30 ish with the full intention of stopping at 11:30. That...did not happen. It wasn't until 3 am until I stopped and realized exactly how much time I lost just dicking around and figuring shit out and dying in awkward ways. This is a soul sucker of a game right here, and I'm probably going to be playing this nearly exclusively for the next month or so. My PS4 is going to be temporarily be my netflix/youtube machine for a while and i'll get back to finishing my backlog there once I'm finally done with Zelda.

To add on, the convenience of just pulling this thing out of the dock and playing anywhere you want is actually a thing I didn't think I'd be appreciating as much as I do now. My best friend always has his with him at work and I really didn't get it until now having the hardware for myself.

To add on, the convenience of just pulling this thing out of the dock and playing anywhere you want is actually a thing I didn't think I'd be appreciating as much as I do now. My best friend always has his with him at work and I really didn't get it until now having the hardware for myself.

Playing a game like Zelda exclusively on a portable doesn't fit into my life. Honestly, I barely made a dent on a link between worlds, played Ocarina 3D start to finish say a few feet from my TV, didn't open Tri Force Heroes when I got it as a gift and skipped Majora's Mask 3D.

So I didn't think the portable aspect of the Switch would appeal much to me, but there's a big difference between playing a game entirely in the small chunks of my day where a portable might make sense, and being able to continue playing a game I'm enjoying on my TV in those small chunks.

It's great stuff. I've played on the subway. Waiting for a movie to start. Waiting for a dentists appointment. Waiting for the improve show we were at. Keeping an eye on my cats when they eat (one is allergic to the food we feed the other cats). Life doesn't get nearly as much in the way of a game I'm playing on the Switch.

LordKano

There isn't anything really thread-worthy but here's a comment about the developer of Syberia 3 (a point'n'click) on the port of his game on Switch, planned for later this year:

W: Will there be Switch exclusive features, like HD Rumble support? Did you have to substantially lower graphics settings and resolution for this version of the game?

EG: We are working on a faithful port of Syberia 3, it was important for us to offer mobility to players, to allow them to embody Kate Walker wherever they want. We are thinking about a specific development on Nintendo Switch with new features, including HD Rumble support. We will use the best of this console to offer an unforgettable experience for players.
http://wccftech.com/syberia-3-interview/

Eria

Guys do you let the switch on the dock for days? The last four days it's been on the dock but I don't know if its ok for the battery.

Kudo

Guys do you let the switch on the dock for days? The last four days it's been on the dock but I don't know if its ok for the battery.

It should be, but I just turned mine off just in case if I'm leaving it for extended periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom