• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNum

The wrist straps have a lock lever at the bottom. To lock, push up. Which is a bit of a problem since to eject the strap, you also have to push up on it. You'll end up locking the wrist strap all over again.

NeonDelta

Just for this page again, yes the wifi is awful. 5 Ghz mode is better than 2.4 but be as close to the router as possible. Undocking can be a big help since you can basically place it next to the router.
Mine is right next to the router and I'm getting 2/3 bars

My bat type is B, could that be the problem?

magnetic

I hope there will be a good ergonomic grip for handheld mode at some point. I can't play my N3DSXL without one anymore, and the Switch with the joycons looks only marginally more ergonomic.

A grip for that thing would make it ridiculously wide, though, but my aging hands just can't deal with a system that doesn't have nice big horns anymore.

I definitely like that the sticks are proper ones and not those terrible slide discs like on the 3DS.

If I was fine with the button and stick size on the Vita, will I like the ones on the Switch?

I just got an e-mail from Amazon saying my Switch was shipped and will be delivered tomorrow. I had canceled my preorder for my grey Switch last week because I changed my mind and didn't want one at launch after all. Turns out I also ordered a neon one and completely forgot. I already bought Zelda for the Wii U.

Help.

That seems to be normal. It kinda makes sense too, since you're holding it by the joy cons in portable mode so you want them in very solidly, whereas the grips are held by the grip part.
I guess but with the locking mechnanism at the bottom i figured they'd be given more slack.
What do you mean by the grip and the comfort grip?

If you mean the wrist strap with the buttons on it, yeah they're a nightmare to take off. Feel like I'm breaking the sliding mechanism trying to get them off. The grip that holds both joycons work perfectly, it's strange.

Yeah the wrist straps! Seriously I thought I fucking broke them I was so angry/scared.
The comfort grip that's holds both of them slides in and out so easily. I thought something had to be wrong.

Thanks guys!

Joqu

My switch is 2/3 bars right next to the router too. Maybe it's just really finicky about its bars though. I did have the video issue but the eShop loads just fine. I'd have to try an online game to know for sure.

did a quick and dirty test with my joycon, couldn't replicate any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu874OuJL9g

that's about as "interference-y" as i'll ever be using the device, so i guess i'll be fine.

Also, i LOVE the fact that there's a demo for snipperclips

Yeah, same here. Absolutely no joycon interference issues, what a relief.

I don't know if this is newsworthy or not, perhaps it is?

But I was playing around with the system settings and noticed in the system credits section (where various partners to the Switch are credited, 'Immersion' for the 3D Rumble etc) that 'Apple' was credited with a trademark notice, along with a specific mention to the 'Apple App Store'!

What's Nintendo got planned here??

Ok...

I thought the system menu didn't look clear and when I checked in the settings the resolution was listed as 'automatic'.

I changed the option from that to 1080p and now it looks clearer. Could be my imagination of course but seems more crisp.

ekim

But I was playing around with the system settings and noticed in the system credits section (where various partners to the Switch are credited, 'Immersion' for the 3D Rumble etc) that 'Apple' was credited with a trademark notice, along with a specific mention to the 'Apple App Store'!

Probably the iOS games from Nintendo?

ncslamm

Sitting here anxiously waiting for Best Buy to open at 10am so I can get my stuff. I think I'll scout the area while I wait. Walmart is 24 hours and Target opens at 9. I'll go by and see what all is left at Wally World and see how many people are lined up at Target.

I just had the delivery company on the phone. They left the package to my neighbors. Who won't be home before tonight.

Great.

Fuck TNT.

Fliesen

My switch is 2/3 bars right next to the router too. Maybe it's just really finicky about its bars though. I did have the video issue but the eShop loads just fine. I'd have to try an online game to know for sure.

Yeah, same here. Absolutely no joycon interference issues, what a relief.

yeah, i mean, i'm sure i could reproduce it, if i were to really tightly try to grip the joycon, and move further away. But why bother?
Which is not to say that i wanna discredit people who are able to reproduce the issue within their normal playing environment. I'm just a dude with small hands who sits rather close to his TV, so luckily, i won't be affected by the issue.

The OS on the switch is lightyears ahead of the Wii U OS, it's not even funny. It's responsive and well structured, yet still offers some of Nintendo's whimsy - like when clicking the sticks or the bumpers when you're asked to "triple click a button to unlock"

Also, if you tap the battery indicator it shows the percentage.

Robiin

Got the Pro controller in a separate box. It fit in the mailbox; now I wait for a text message that the console is at the post office.... sitting here clicking the pro controller, it feels nice. Growing impatient though.

You have no idea how hyped I was for this release only for UPS to lose my package. No clue when or if I will get it.

I want to close this thread, but I can't :(

KevinG

I just got an e-mail from Amazon saying my Switch was shipped and will be delivered tomorrow. I had canceled my preorder for my grey Switch last week because I changed my mind and didn't want one at launch after all. Turns out I also ordered a neon one and completely forgot. I already bought Zelda for the Wii U.

Help.

Enjoy your Switch. :)

Probably the iOS games from Nintendo?

Why would Apple and its App store be mentioned with all the other known Switch software and hardware related company credits though? That's the strange bit....

Nintendo crediting Apple within the Switch is odd.

Edit: I'd make a new thread if it were newsworthy, but naturally I can't ;)

Joqu

yeah, i mean, i'm sure i could reproduce it, if i were to really tightly try to grip the joycon, and move further away. But why bother?
Which is not to say that i wanna discredit people who are able to reproduce the issue within their normal playing environment. I'm just a dude with small hands who sits rather close to his TV, so luckily, i won't be affected by the issue.

Oh, I actually did try to replicate it. I got really far with no noticable signal issues, so I'm good for sure.

And yeah, totally not discrediting other people here. I don't know if it's the hardware, the environment or some combination, but I'm sure it can get really bad for some.

Rellik

Obviously they're using something that crosses into Apple's trademarks.

Kuni

Bumping again for visibility.

Has anyone played online yet? I can't seem to find any info about playing online or the experience of it. I know the app is MIA, but it's so weird no-one is talking about it haha.

ekim

Has anyone played online yet? I can't seem to find any info about playing online or the experience of it. I know the app is MIA, but it's so weird no-one is talking about it haha.

It's working pretty flawless for me with Fast RMX.

ekim

Btw. Don't forget to claim your My Nintendo points for your cartridge games. Do so by pressing + or - on the game tile.

Cody_D165

Banned

I've only played Fast RMX. It's a fun game, great multiplayer racer... but I can't seem to join my friends at all. I don't know if the blame lies with Shin'en or Nintendo here, but the game itself seems to not allow you to create friend lobbies and I was unable to join a game through the console's friends list.

We managed to play together by sifting through the few available lobbies until we found each other, but as the games player base increases that will surely become impossible :/

13ruce

Banned
Got my switch and zelda also bought shovel knight treasure trove digitally:p

The thing is suprisingly small! And looks neat.

I usually don't buy these type of things but damn loving my BotW Skin.
2qAxPsVm.jpg

3DShovel

Ordered at the first possible instance on Amazon. Not shipped.

Not doing this via Amazon again. They did the same thing back with the PS4. :(

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Good news: 0 interference issues with my joycon. ~20 ft away, behind my back, through a wall. Everything seemed to work fine.

Great news: Zelda.

Bad news: after over 4 hours without one, I'm really looking forward to getting a Pro controller. Hopefully tomorrow. I think they should consider bundling those with the Switch before any game. The Joycon are fine on the handheld, but they just don't feel right in the grip, being used for TV play.

Kuni

It's working pretty flawless for me with Fast RMX.

I've only played Fast RMX. It's a fun game, great multiplayer racer... but I can't seem to join my friends at all. I don't know if the blame lies with Shin'en or Nintendo here, but the game itself seems to not allow you to create friend lobbies and I was unable to join a game through the console's friends list.

We managed to play together by sifting through the few available lobbies until we found each other, but if the games player base increases that will surely become impossible :/

Ah ok cool. Cheers for that. Sounds like it's pretty... "Nintendo" barebones online.

I'm assuming the app was meant to be out by now to do the lobbies and stuff... Man this just seems convoluted.

Edit:
No. The app will come later. It says directly on the console that it will be fully released in Fall.

So it's very much still in beta. Fair enough!

Aleh

Why would Apple and its App store be mentioned with all the other known Switch software and hardware related company credits though? That's the strange bit....

It's for the parental controls app. You can see the same on p.nintendo.com

Obviously they're using something that crosses into Apple's trademarks.

I think they use Safari as a browser for logging into websites.

When I signed into my Twitter to link my accounts I had an email saying that I had a new log in from a Safari browser? Might be something to do with it too?

ekim

They just mention the Google Play store beneath. This is just for the multiplayer app that will be released.

ekim

Ah ok cool. Cheers for that. Sounds like it's pretty... "Nintendo" barebones online.

I'm assuming the app was meant to be out by now to do the lobbies and stuff... Man this just seems convoluted.

No. The app will come later. It says directly on the console that it will be fully released in Fall.

Goodlife

Question.

I've been trying to talk myself out of getting a Switch until MK8 comes out, but the hype is getting to me.

But I've promised my wife that I'd trade in my other consoles (Wii U / Xbox One) to get it.

However, eldest daughter and her friend love to play MK on the Wii U....

Is there anything similar / suitable in the eShop that they could use as a substitute for a couple of months until MK comes to the Switch? (They are aged 6, so nothing too complicated)

duckroll

Picked up the Switch, Pro Controller, Official Case, Zelda, and 1-2 Switch today. Super Bomberman R isn't here because the supplier dropped the ball. Bought Shovel Knight on the eShop. Downloaded the Snipperclips demo. Played like 2 hours of Zelda.

This is by far the most modern device Nintendo has created. There's still room for improvement but it's something that just feels like it -works- from the moment you take it out from the box. Everything just works and it feels great. It takes like 10 seconds max to set the Dock up. There's no extra installation or customization. The Switch itself is a handheld that looks great, feels great, and does what I expect it to. The moment I dump it on the Dock, I get a console. Pretty neat.

I even managed to get a friend request while playing Zelda before messing with any Friend Codes because someone found me via Fire Emblem Heroes' friend list. I've sent a request to someone else the same way. I took screenshots when playing Zelda. Managed to post it to Twitter pretty seamlessly.

The Pro Controller is the best controller I've used, maybe ever. It's comfortable, it's sturdy, not to heavy, feels just right. Zelda works wonderfully with it.

I have to confess, I haven't tried the Joycons on a game yet, and they are so much smaller than I expected. The Joycon Grip looks silly too. But whatever. We'll see when I test out 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom