• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otnopolit

Whoo, I got mine. The see through design of the Pro controller is really nice. Does anyone know if you can alter the screenshot quality? The default quality is pretty low.

I'm happy that I took today off. The Switch is smaller than I expected.

Fuck me. Those colors are gorgeous. What's your TV? I'm worried my TV is gonna mar the game when my Switch comes in later today, lots of ghosting when it comes to darker colors.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is this thing supposed to blow like a hairdryer when you're setting it up? I can hear it clearly when its on my lap and feel the air coming out of it

MarkusRJR

Anyone having issues taking off wrist straps from the joycons? I feel like I'm breaking mine whenever I take try to take off the wrist straps.

Ok I just want my Wii U copy of Zelda so I can stop reading this stupid thread. I know if I break and go buy a Switch I'm going to be pissed at myself probably within 24 hours.

I guess if I go to Walmart later for the Zelda strategy guide and they just happen to have a Switch lying around...

mother fucker.

And that TV pic is great whoever posted it. It really does show the color of Zelda and the small size of the Switch very well.

unrealist

Everything is great for me minus Bluetooth support for headphones. I hope they can patch it in since there is a Bluetooth module in the console..

Majukun

here where i live it was a desert.although maybe it was just a bit too early...went to the mall to get zelda for wii u and other stuff,there was nothing about the switch at the electronic store, and the general store only had advertisement but no games or consoles yet...only sign that this was lunch day was at gamestop where there were a dozen zelda switch copies ready

daxy

Would love to hear impressions on screen protectors from people who got them, e.g. which brand you got, how easy they've been to apply, whether they're intrusive at all, etc. Still on the fence.

I'm mainly worried about scratching the screen when removing the Switch from the dock and putting it back in.

WiiU case for comparison.

wp_20170303_11_31_02_diup2.jpg

It looks great. No problem with washed out colours or anything, just be sure to use the correct display settings.

Yeah, the "handheld" mode size is too large to be comfortable or transportable in pockets. Its an around the house / in the car or in a bag kind of thing. I'm comfortable with carrying a 6P or 3DSXL around and can manage a Vita sometimes but the Switch is too big.

I wonder if you could use the screen as touch controls for stuff, without the joy cons it'd be a far better size for a portable.

Would love to hear impressions on screen protectors from people who got them, how easy they've been to apply, whether they're intrusive at all, etc. Still on the fence.

I'm mainly worried about scratching the screen when removing the Switch and putting it back in the dock.

The Play brand ones from EB Games were terrible, they bubble and can't be smoothed down. I had to remove it.

Switch won't output sound to my receiver, which is nice. It's a stereo reciever so I always have to set it to PCM stereo or some shit over optical from TV.

Knowing Nintendo they'll never ever fix this so I'll play Zelda then sell the thing.

My left Joycon fits a little loose, it's really annoying. It's like the bottom isn't fully locking or something, it has a little give to it and whenever I move from the stick to the buttons it feels loose. I'm worried it's going to get worse over time. Right Joycon fits perfectly.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm tempted to see if I can get a replacement, I'm guessing chances are slim to none though.

Kyoufu

Can someone tell me if friend codes are forced or you can add friends with user ID names like on Wii U? I'm getting mixed reports and I can't tell if people are being stupid or not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Switch won't output sound to my receiver, which is nice. It's a stereo reciever so I always have to set it to PCM stereo or some shit over optical from TV.

Knowing Nintendo they'll never ever fix this so I'll play Zelda then sell the thing.

HDMI audio extractor -> optical or 3.5mm stereo out -> receiver?

Also pointless hangup number 1 - I don't like the capture button being so...square. The joycons are rounded, all the other buttons are round, the sticks are round. That square sticks out like a sore thumb.

Caayn

The joy-cons make the Switch clicky sound from the commercial when you connect them.
Fuck me. Those colors are gorgeous. What's your TV? I'm worried my TV is gonna mar the game when my Switch comes in later today, lots of ghosting when it comes to darker colors.
It's a LG 55EG920v, a 4K HDR OLED display.
I wonder if you could use the screen as touch controls for stuff, without the joy cons it'd be a far better size for a portable.
The main menu and the e-shop support touch input, so it'll depend on the games if they support it or not.

Wow, this thing is premium as hell. It is so premium, it makes 3DS borderline unplayable.

Screen is amazing. Sound is BONKERS. It feels like you're holding some kind of Ferrari of handhelds. I can't believe I'm playing Zelda in bed with this kind of hardware.

Zelda has some performance issues, especially when docked, to the point that I kind of feel better when I'm playing it handheld style. Seriously cannot wait to go home to play tonight.

chogidogs

Got mine. Played 30 minutes of Zelda and installed 1 2 Switch (too tired to play.) Not gonna lie. I'd rather be playing Horizon right now.

Wow, I tested Dragon Quest 2 on the Switch and it's not very pretty and the framerate is really bad, it must run in 20-30 fps ... Disappointing.

t hicks

Banned
After playing all night I'm in love with this thing. I'm just playing with the grip and it fits my hands pretty comfortably, but im definitely gonna pick up a pro controller down the road...
Zelda is incredible
i need to sleep

GeNoMe

Okay, for anyone wondering? The official case is a perfect fit for the device in it's entirety (tablet + joycons attached) There's even a flap (don't know what else to call it) for some cartridges. You can fold the flap, en put the switch on top of it before you zip the thing up. Really glad with the minimalistic design. It also comes with a screen protector, it isn't tempered glass sadly enough. But it's nice they have included it with it.

Ashler

Got mine!

A290FB55-D618-48B3-ADC7-1C8CB107186F_zpsrfle1lbt.jpg

Oh... and I didn't realize that my Macbook 12" charger would charge the switch. I guess I don't need a new charging cable to be on the go after all!

Off to play Zelda, see you guys in about a month! :p

ekim

My left Joycon fits a little loose, it's really annoying. It's like the bottom isn't fully locking or something, it has a little give to it and whenever I move from the stick to the buttons it feels loose. I'm worried it's going to get worse over time. Right Joycon fits perfectly.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm tempted to see if I can get a replacement, I'm guessing chances are slim to none though.

I have the same with my right joycon. The bottom is creaky as in you can move it a small bit and it makes sound when doing so. Not sure if I should try to fiddle with the screws on the tablet.

Btw: how do the joycons connect power wise? I don't see any obvious connection on the tablet.

The joy-cons make the Switch clicky sound from the commercial when you connect them.
The main menu and the e-shop support touch input, so it'll depend on the games if they support it or not.

Disgaea 5 doesn't seem to. But there's a bit about it that makes me think it was decided fairly late to either put it on Switch or make it a launch title so I guess that's not surprising.

Niosai

Anyone having issues taking off wrist straps from the joycons? I feel like I'm breaking mine whenever I take try to take off the wrist straps.
Just had to stop my thumb from bleeding after accidentally stabbing myself with the metal inside of one of those things. They're entirely too hard to take off.

Monumma

It's so small and beautiful. I'm in love.

I don't have the problem with the opening, every button works and a quick test of the left joycon gave me no problem. I'm lucky i guess, hopefully everyone having defect can manage to find a solution.

I'm now watching a bar fill-in for Zelda, seems like the server speeds are awesome for a day1, hopefully it stay this way all day.

I see people are breaking their system by accidently attatching the wrong wrist strap to the wrong side. Major design flaw?

Took this from Boogie2988:

C5-8-KDVAAEgXEB.jpg

This is fixable - I made the same mistake and nearly snapped my Joy-Con in half by trying to force it off, but, what you need to do is ensure the grey lock switch is pulled out and then hold the release on the back of the Joy-Con and pull in the direction of the + symbol. It's tough but it comes off.

Lined up at a Best Buy at 11:00 am and just chilled out there until the launch. A little colder than I expected but whatever, they let us stand inside the store at 11:00 and around 11:45 they started to ring things up. My brother was the first one to get the switch!

So anyway I got the grey switch, Zelda master edition, bomberman, 1-2 switch, pro controller, charging grip, a carrying case and eshop money to download I am setsuna and fast remix. Got the next couple of days off so I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy this.

First impressions; when I opened the box I didn't expect the switch to be small. I thought it was gonna be a little bigger than it turned out to be but damn if it doesn't look amazing. Sleek and compact. I was worried about the joycons since I have big hands, Fortunately I grabbed them and they felt great immediately washing away my doubts. I haven't played any of the games since I'm gonna catch some z's but so far so good on the hardware side of things.

By the way, I'm surprised to see people putting on the wrist straps on wrong. lol it's not that difficult.

KevinG

I've got a B6 on the way.

This excites me.

Majora

Is anyone else finding the WiFi weak? Where I'm sat right now I get 3 full bars on my iPhone but only 0-1 on my Switch.

Is anyone else finding the WiFi weak? Where I'm sat right now I get 3 full bars on my iPhone but only 0-1 on my Switch.

Just for this page again, yes the wifi is awful. 5 Ghz mode is better than 2.4 but be as close to the router as possible. Undocking can be a big help since you can basically place it next to the router.

Are anyone else's grips like super difficult to slide off in comparison to comfort grip? My grips take a considerable amount of effort to remove so i don't know what's going on there, whereas the comfort grip the joycons just slide out of easily.

Are anyone else's grips like super difficult to slide off in comparison to comfort grip? My grips take a considerable amount of effort to remove so i don't know what's going on there, whereas the comfort grip the joycons just slide out of easily.

That seems to be normal. It kinda makes sense too, since you're holding it by the joy cons in portable mode so you want them in very solidly, whereas the grips are held by the grip part.

MarkusRJR

What do you mean by the grip and the comfort grip?

If you mean the wrist strap with the buttons on it, yeah they're a nightmare to take off. Feel like I'm breaking the sliding mechanism trying to get them off. The grip that holds both joycons work perfectly, it's strange.

That's unfortunate since I was planning to stay in the basement to game (where all my other game devices are located) and the router is upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom