• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joqu

I'm not too sure about the stability of the stand / dock. My cats are going to murder my Switch, I just know it.

Tip for removing Wrist Strap!

I just read the support page for the wrist straps, and you don't need to push the release button on the joycon to remove the wrist strap (assuming it's on properly). Just flip the unlock tab on the wrist strap, pull the wrist strap up while pulling the joycon to down.

Still requires a bit too much pressure imo but it comes off way easier when you aren't holding down the release button while trying to pull off the strap, haha.

Thank you! I was having a lot of trouble with the wrist straps. I guess I did it the proper way, but I was really worried I'd break something.

dno_1966

Mine just turned up, it's tiny! Perfectly formed though, feels like a really nice piece of tech.

About to immerse myself in Zelda BotW until Monday morning!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone else having issues buying things from the eShop? When I enter purchase info I get "An error has occurred. Please restart from the beginning" every single time. It just boots me out to the main menu. :\

Portugeezer

Can you adjust volume from menu? My volume down button doesn't respond and I want to play Zelda before having to send it back and wait for replacement...

Celine

Saw this pic on Twitter, it's crazy how far away handheld gaming went:

C59cpC2UYAA8fd-.jpg

Seik

Banned
Anyone else having issues buying things from the eShop? When I enter purchase info I get "An error has occurred. Please restart from the beginning" every single time. It just boots me out to the main menu. :
I had this at like 2AM this morning.

My guess is that Nintendo's servers are burning hot. :lol

rockx4

Anyone else having issues buying things from the eShop? When I enter purchase info I get "An error has occurred. Please restart from the beginning" every single time. It just boots me out to the main menu. :\

Just bought Shovel Knight, no issues and it was instant.

Joqu

Yeah, it was surprisingly tiny to me when I opened the box. Especially without joycons attached to it. I don't know what I expected.

But I do find the joycons to be uncomfortable outside of in handheld mode, which works fine. Which is a shame, because I love the wiimote / nunchuck setup. This doesn't feel nearly as good. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

It has only increased my desire for a pro controller though

I found swapping games while it is docked to be a bit of a hassle. I dont have very long fingernails and getting the door to the slot open wasn't straight forward. Meanwhile the console if rocking back and forth in the dock with my effort.
Yeah I feel that. Getting the Joycons off in the dock is tough too.

Arttemis

Yes.

My question is: How long does it take to download the system update?
Mine went incredibly fast, done in a few seconds.

Anyone else having issues buying things from the eShop? When I enter purchase info I get "An error has occurred. Please restart from the beginning" every single time. It just boots me out to the main menu. :
No problem with that for me. The first thing I did was merge my Nintendo ID and Nintendo wallets, then purchase the Zelda season pass with stored credit. I didn't have to enter any payment info, though.

duckroll

I just bought Shovel Knight like an hour ago without any problems. Canada store though.

Not yet. You might have to rely on Giant Bomb for hot takes (hot tastes?) like that.

I don't think that's possible at all. The dock itself has no software system so to speak. It's merely a pass through and isn't meant to be a charging station. I get what you mean now, and yes, it does seem weird when you think about it that way, but I'm not even sure if a firmware update can add the feature you want, since there's no way for the Switch to know whether you're using it or not when it's docked. Maybe they could add a "Docked Sleep Mode" which charges via USB without passing through the HDMI though, until you hit the home button? Not sure.

I figured most people would dock it after handheld mode and not wanting it to switch on. I thought I'd try sleep mode only it switches it back on too....and the T.V input. Maybe an update would help?

kAmui-

I haven't bought physical games in YEARS. How do consoles handle them nowadays? Say I buy a physical copy of Zelda and then lose the cart because that's what would most likely happen to me. Would I be boned and had to buy the game again? This is one of the big reasons I'd prefer to go digital, but physical seems to be somewhat cheaper.

Glass

Having alot of fun just navigating round the super snappy menus and store, watching all the videos, reading all the articles, havnt even opened Zelda yet.

Didn't realise the NEO GEO games were at launch in the West!

rockx4

I haven't bought physical games in YEARS. How do consoles handle them nowadays? Say I buy a physical copy of Zelda and then lose the cart because that's what would most likely happen to me. Would I be boned and had to buy the game again? This is one of the big reasons I'd prefer to go digital, but physical seems to be somewhat cheaper.

Uh yea, if you lose the cart you would have to buy it again lol. I've had a friend lose a case of 24 3DS games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ok. Installed my Switch and played a bit of Fast RMX (I'm saving Zelda for the flight I will have later today) .

There is quite an interesting combination of cheap and premium with the Switch. As a tablet with the (grey) joycons attached it looks lovely, sleek, like a very cool device. The whole set up process was fast and easy. I had no issues with the wireless, but it was only seeing only the 5Ghz wireless from my router but not the 2.4Ghz one. Updating the system, buying Fast RMX from eshop and downloading went very fast and nice. The game looks very nice (and I know already how it plays as I have FRN) both on the big screen as in handheld mode. The game case is really sexy.

Now the cheap part. The kickstand is loose and it opens very easily while I hold the tablet in my hands. The dock is the cheapest piece of plastic I've seen lately. Adding friends is a pain in the ass. The tablet actually kind of wobbles in the dock and makes me want to fit it better each time I dock it.

And the so-so part is that the grip with the joycons attached is way too small to play comfortably with it. Also playing with the joycons I don't find a good position to be able to use both the shoulders and the triggers at the same time. Conclusion: I need to buy a Pro controller ASAP.

Edit: also, I can't format the micro SD in the Switch or I just can't find that setting?

ColdPizza

Banned
Struck out at the 2nd Walmart. All stock they had was for preorder. Then I mentioned the other store not selling until 10am. Apparently there was an "incident" there last night so the manager shut down sales until then. Lol. Gonna try target at 8am then I'm done looking for a few months.

CoLaN

My dock worked fine at first, but now it seems completely dead :\

The console works fine and charges if plugged in directly, but if i put the console in the dock tv out doesnt work, the console doesnt go dark and the green led doesnt turn on.

It also wont charge through the dock. I tried disconnecting everything, formatting the console... Nothing seems to work :\

It doesnt help that the dock seems so cheap and shitty. Anyone else with the same issue?

Lurking in these new hardware threads is always a bad idea. I have too much to play already and I'm still tempted to pick one up with Zelda.

No...no. I still haven't started Horizon yet.

Wow. Nintendo really cheaped out on certain things. The kickstand, the dock, the Wi-Fi chip (Reading dozens of connection issues). What the hell were they thinking?

Vibed

You guys think Nintendo can replace my neon joycons in the correct colors if I ship them only that? The A button requires too much pressure to work. :(

Luckily I'm getting a second set of joycons and am now considering a pro controller, but I really shouldn't have to...

Don't know if it's just because I bite my nails but I just can't get the kickstand out. How exactly is it meant to be done? You just pull on it right?

Amazon preparing my order now. Cannot wait....to play it Sunday night. :(

Yeah looks like Amazon fucked up on this. I don't get it, they had the consoles likely weeks ago and should have had them sent and allocated to their distribution warehouses way before now. Why they would be shipping my Switch this morning is beyond me

kromeo

Immediately regretting getting the neon instead of grey lol

Do the little side controllers charge while it's in the dock?

I have a simple question that doesn't seem to be answered in the "manual" included: Can I wake/turn on the Switch while it's docked using only the joycons? What buttons do I have to press if so?

Question about the multiple region account! I'm in europe, I managed to create an US account, but my credit card doesn't work in there, any ideas?

is my only option nintendo cards like on playstation?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I went to Walmart in SE Portland. I called twice this week ahead of time, they both said it will release at 6am. I got here at 3am. I am the only person here. An employee finally
came out and said they won't be able to sell them until 7 because that is when the electronics manager gets in.

I work at 7 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom