• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladekabel

Any info on when we can expect Switch rewards on MyNintendo? I would like to buy either Fast RMX, Snipperclips or I Am Setsuna but no rewards so far hold me off since I have a few gold coins that I'd like to use before they expire.

gdt

I've got a question. Just got my Switch, Zelda, and a Pro controller... do I need to purchase anything so that I can charge the Switch (and the joy cons) while I'm out and about? Like an extra charging cable or something?

MechaDekka

Neo Member
Anyone else finding removing the Joy-Cons to be a little difficult? Feels like I have to push the release button down really hard.

stoff

I've got a question. Just got my Switch, Zelda, and a Pro controller... do I need to purchase anything so that I can charge the Switch (and the joy cons) while I'm out and about? Like an extra charging cable or something?
No. one is included.

Wil348

Lucky for you, the Pro controller comes with a USB C to USB A cable that you can apparently use to charge the Switch. Buy a USB power bank and you're good to go. :)

Lgndryhr

So awesome to see this thing in person. The joycons are definitely small. Glad I got a pro controller. I like how it feels. Haven't tried using the joycons in the grip yet.

My girlfriend was glad to see Zelda, but then asked was there a pack in game like Wii. I told her no. She said that was stupid. I wonder how many casual gamers will see that and say no to the $300 price tag.

duckroll

Depending on what you want to charge it with, you might consider a USB-C power charger, or just... buy a power bank (lol). You don't need any extra cables or anything.

Im sure its buried in this thread already, but I just watched a video and apparently Nintendo put a chemical coat on the cartridges to make them taste bitter for kids and animals that try to ingest it? Thats pretty impressive and very detailed If true haha.

Seik

Banned
Is there a way to save my password for the E-shop?!

It asks me every single time and it's driving me insane! I tinkle for a while but didn't find anything about that.

Caayn

I can charge the Switch and the joy-cons with the USB-C charger that came with my Lumia 950. That charger isn't able to power the dock though.

It asks me every single time and it's driving me insane! I tinkle for a while but didn't find anything about that.
The first time you connect it'll have asked you to "skip" the password. This enables the system to keep you signed-in. Don't know where you can find this option if you didn't select it the first time.

Edit: In the e-shop go to your account (press your account picture in the top right), there you'll see the password settings on the right. Here you can enable the option keep you signed in.

Yeah, hooking it up to my monitor would work for me too, I guess I should consider doing that. Once Nintendo makes docks available for purchase I might get myself a second one though. I'd have to store my Switch somewhere else after using it in my living room but I'd like to be able to use my TV and I'm sure the dock itself will be fine with my cats.

Seriously though, this thing ain't cat proof. My Wii U got scratched up badly but I was never worried there. Fortunately mine don't chew. Unless it's paper. :L

Yeah. I'll probably end up getting an extra dock also.

I'm wondering this but about my credit card... not that I'll be buying many games but I notes it didn't ask me to save my credit card information.

DoubleYou

Still waiting

post-49639-spongebob-waiting-gif-Imgur-co-tfl3.gif

Ros8105

Shiiit, I somehow managed to order the Switch a few minutes ago. Is the standard controller alright? should I get a pro controller?

NeonDelta

When I first logged in to the eshop it asked if you want to enter password all the time. I chose no, I'm guessing it's in parental controls

saskuatch

is it safe to use my phone usb wall charger with this? my phone charger says 5V 3A but the switch one only says 5V 1.5A, arent all usb-c standard?

ColdPizza

Banned
Only had to wait 30 min in 25 degree weather. Not bad.

wWVCaGv.jpg

But man, that pro controller is expensive. I might return it. Gonna sit on it for awhile.

Any impressions?

Jeffrey

Hmm is there no manual in box or I misplaced it somewhere?

Anyways how do you wake the system from sleep in the dock using controllers.

I think it's holding the home button but I'm not 100%

The delivery guy did not find the doorbell of my house (don't know how it is possible) and he is nowhere to be found... I'll have to go to the post office tomorow to retrieve my Switch.

Well.

General impressions after about 3 hours.

Dock

Works great! Thought the HDMI passthrough would be instant but the second or so to switch screens is not an issue at all. Wish the switch was more guided going down the dock but I'll get used to it. Power block is TOO BIG! It takes up about 3 spaces on my power strip if not plugged in at the end. I love the small latching back cover, and overall the design is nice and imo is the nicest console to have displayed in my living room.

Switch Pad and UI

Glad that the UI is fully functional with just the touch screen. Screen quality is nice, brightness and colors are good, the design is sleek like the dock and it looks and feels great with or without the joycons. Wish the stand was sturdier and came with a joycon, and that the USB C was recessed on in a different spoy but they arent major gripes.

Joy-Cons

No matter how many videos, pictures, and impressions you read, nothing will really tell you how small these are till you hold them yourself. Joycons aren't amazing, but neat tech thats very functional. Joy-Cons are really what give the switch so much versatility and form factor so I can't say they are bad. Although the right joy-con isnt comfortable as its own controller and the shoulder buttons are much too thin for me. No issues with the quality or function of either joycon though and I do love using them losely and lazily in each hand.

Okay I haven't done anything with my Switch yet as I just came home with it but wow Nintendo nailed the flawlessness of the OS and updates! :D I setup my Switch and NNID in under one minute, the System Update took literally no more than 10 seconds to download and maybe 5 seconds to apply. Zelda updated similarly in 20 seconds at most. This is with a 50000mbit line.

My only complaint about the OS so far is that it's bland because it has no themes yet and that the Switch doesn't have the typical Nintendo music score playing throughout the OS :(

Seik

Banned
When I first logged in to the eshop it asked if you want to enter password all the time. I chose no, I'm guessing it's in parental controls
Nvm, found it!

It's not in parental control.

Settings - Users - Nintendo E-Shop settings

Guess I missed it when they asked the first time! :p

rockx4

Only had to wait 30 min in 25 degree weather. Not bad.

wWVCaGv.jpg

But man, that pro controller is expensive. I might return it. Gonna sit on it for awhile.

Any impressions?

I only played with the joycons in handheld for an extended period of time, took 10 mins to get used to it but it works fine. Joycons separated felt really weird, definitely not as good as wii nunchuk+remote (in terms of comfort). Feels really weird to use the right analog while trying to press the abxy buttons. Something about the right joycon not connected to anything felt off. It probably has to do with the analog placement being so low. But like I said, both joycons connected to the tablet in handheld mode works pretty good.

Joycon Grip feels too small. I probably just need time to get used to the joycons separate and on the grip.

I'm waiting for my Pro controller which arrives today to try it, but it'll probably be the preferred way.

zaff0796

Neo Member
Sigh. I booted up the console, installed the system update with joycons attached, and it seems when I use the joycon grip, the right joycon isn't being picked up by the Switch. Weird that it's the right one, and not the left. The light indicator for both joycons on the grip is showing green, too. I'm really hoping this can be fixed with a firmware update soon!

TLZ

Banned
Anyone know if it downloads demos in standby? I'm currently downloading 3 but I'm on 6% so it's charging.

So, what's the deal with the joy-con connectivity? I read there were problems but it's really fucking terrible. I had them in the grip and was seated around 3 metres away from the switch. Link jumped off a fucking tower and died because I couldn't control him. Did I get a faulty set or are they really that shit? Thinking about returning the whole thing right now.

Arttemis

gRuZn2sh.jpg

Is this okay? Can I lay the Switch dock on its side?

You're blocking one of the vents that way.

You're blocking the vents on the back and the only thing that holds the system in the Dock is gravity.

You might have heating issues?

Thanks for the replies. I'll be propping up the dock by half an inch or more by placing small spacers underneath. That will allow air flow on all sides.

SHarris78

When the Switch is docked and you put it in sleep mode it doesn't continue charging? There's no indication on the Switch or dock to let you know if it is or not.

Also, ahem.......how do you turn it off fully? (Yes I feel stupid for asking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom