• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
So, what's the deal with the joy-con connectivity? I read there were problems but it's really fucking terrible. I had them in the grip and was seated around 3 metres away from the switch. Link jumped off a fucking tower and died because I couldn't control him. Did I get a faulty set or are they really that shit? Thinking about returning the whole thing right now.

Yes the same thing happened to me. My foot was somehow blocking the "path" lol.

Anyone else finding removing the Joy-Cons to be a little difficult? Feels like I have to push the release button down really hard.

Yeah, mine seem a bit more difficult to remove than I imagined they would be. Not a huge deal, but it's not a super smooth process either.

I have a question about charging the joy-cons. Will they only charge when the system is in the dock? What if the system is undocked, but plugged in to a power source, and the joy-cons are attached to the system? I'd imagine they'd charge then too, correct?

TLZ

Banned
Yeah, mine seem a bit more difficult to remove than I imagined they would be. Not a huge deal, but it's not a super smooth process either.

I have a question about charging the joy-cons. Will they only charge when the system is in the dock? What if the system is undocked, but plugged in to a power source, and the joy-cons are attached to the system? I'd imagine they'd charge then too, correct?

The first couple times were hard, then became real easy.

Air

Banned
This is a really nice piece of kit. I got the neon set and it looks really great. The kickstand is garbo, but the rest of the system oozes quality. Nintendo did good this time. Zelda will be here later and I can't wait for that.

I'm having a few issues, first off the joycon straps are so hard to take off that I now don't even feel like using them in fear of damaging something. Also I just can't get the kickstand to come out, it just feels stuck. Is it a good idea to try and pry it out with a knife or is that just the frustrated part of me coming out?

Yes, the joy cons will charge while they are connected in portable mode, but only to a certain level in order to preserve the main battery's charge.

MechaDekka

Neo Member

Yeah all the promotional videos and such showed them detaching really easily but I'm finding it a bit awkward. I think it's just me being clumsy though.

Anyone finding loose Pro Controllers stocked at stores?

I couldn't pre-order one at the same Best Buy I got my Switch at so I snagged it at another. Hoping I can get a unclaimed one though and just cancel the drive over to the other one.

BFIB

Just went to Wal Mart, they had Pro Controllers in. I went back and forth, but decided to hold off until I actually get some hands on time with the joycons.

Nairume

Banned
Yes the same thing happened to me. My foot was somehow blocking the "path" lol.
For what it's worth, after applying the update to the joycons, I left the room and was still able to control things with the joycons behind my back and the signal having to travel through a wall.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
What's the best Switch review video that would convince me to buy this, because I want to be convinced.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I am now an official Nintendo Switch owner! Life's good.
By the way, this thing is fucking sexy.

Congratulations!!! I have to admit, it was hard to leave it at home when I went to work (I don't have a case yet, won't risk scratching the screen).

CQYOy8DWsAA6Obx.jpg

duckroll

But man, that pro controller is expensive. I might return it. Gonna sit on it for awhile.

Any impressions?

The Pro Controller is one of the most comfortable and naturally intuitive traditional controllers I have ever used. It feels perfectly balanced. So good.

Air

Banned
What's the best Switch review video that would convince me to buy this, because I want to be convinced.

What exactly is holding you back? The hardware is legit and zelda is zelda. There are about 6 or so other games on the eshop right now.

foxbeldin

Just wanna say that the hardware and the zelda updates were lightning fast, and it's already a better experience for me than the one i had with the WiiU.

killercow

When the Switch is docked and you put it in sleep mode it doesn't continue charging? There's no indication on the Switch or dock to let you know if it is or not.

Also, ahem.......how do you turn it off fully? (Yes I feel stupid for asking)

The lack of LED is a pain for this scenario but even while totally off (which you can do by pushing the power button for 5 seconds) the charger is slightly hot and the console appears to be charging.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
What exactly is holding you back? The hardware is legit and zelda is zelda. There are about 6 or so other games on the eshop right now.

I already have Zelda downloaded to the Wii U, I couldn't wait. lol

TheFuzz

I couldn't pre-order one at the same Best Buy I got my Switch at so I snagged it at another. Hoping I can get a unclaimed one though and just cancel the drive over to the other one.

Not sure about your area, but checking brickseek shows a healthy supply of pro controllers at the Walmarts near me (5-15 per store). Im in metro Atlanta.

RobotVM

I am trying to decided if I should exchange mine with the left Joy-Con issues. Zelda is unplayable currently with these issues.

Metalmarc

Merry Switchmas GAF, from a non participator, maybe in December i'll be celebrating.

Dear Switch users, has anyone tried the Old Pro. Controller via USB, i doubt it very much and i bet its been asked a million times already, if so i apologise

saskuatch

so does anyone know if you can charge it using 3 amps usb-c wall adapter? or can only be safely charged with the provided 1.5amps one.

Lucifon

Is anyone experiencing poor Wifi signals on their Switch? My 3ds at the other end of the house upstairs has full 4/4 bars Wifi signal. My Switch a few metres away from the router in the living room has 2/3 bars and only 50meg down on 5ghz. My xb1/ps4 receive around 180meg (and they're next to the switch)

So, what's the deal with the joy-con connectivity? I read there were problems but it's really fucking terrible. I had them in the grip and was seated around 3 metres away from the switch. Link jumped off a fucking tower and died because I couldn't control him. Did I get a faulty set or are they really that shit? Thinking about returning the whole thing right now.

Interesting. I've updated and reset mine a few times as people found in the connectivity thread and it seems fine. I've put it behind my back etc and it doesn't skip a beat.

I picked one up at Target 30 mins after they opened and they had 10 left over. I was kinda surprised I was able to get one. Nonetheless I can't wait to play Zelda later!!

Is there any chance someone can add the Wifi being weak and the stuff that seems to help to the first post ?

Someone seems to ask about it every page.

Luschient

Dammit, I have to run up to Target in a bit for some grocery items. They're going to have Switches available aren't they. I'm going to be tempted aren't I. I'm going to buy one of these things even though I don't really want/need one right now aren't I.

I don't know if this is newsworthy or not, perhaps it is?

But I was playing around with the system settings and noticed in the system credits section (where various partners to the Switch are credited, 'Immersion' for the 3D Rumble etc) that 'Apple' was credited with a trademark notice, along with a specific mention to the 'Apple App Store'!

What's Nintendo got planned here??

The parent controls app has to connect to the system somehow via android and apple os.

The Target down the road from me had a bunch just sitting out. The cashier said that hardly anyone picking up their consoles this morning were interested.

I don't have a console or any games to play yet (though UPS and USPS both tell me I'll have something later today!), but it's kinda neat to have something Switch in hand right now.

Air

Banned
I already have Zelda downloaded to the Wii U, I couldn't wait. lol

I see. Well I can say the hardware is fantastic, but since you already have zelda (downloaded so you can't return it). I'd say hold off until there are other games you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom