• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wil348

Here are my impressions after a day with the Switch:

I got the grey version yesterday with Zelda, the official case and Fast RMX. This is the first console I have bought at launch (well, before launch), the closest before now being the Wii U about four months after launch. What do I think so far? Well, it depends on what we are talking about. But to get it out of the way now, my overall feelings are positive.

First of all, the system itself. It's very nice. It actually feels like it's worth the (steep) price tag you're paying for it. There's just the right amount of heft to it, it's not too heavy but it's not too light. The screen is surprisingly nice. The 720p isn't at all problematic, the colours are great and it's pretty clear. Oh, and it's small. It looked small in the comparison photos but you have to hold it in your hands to truly believe it. I compared it to the Wii U gamepad and it really puts it to shame. The fact we are getting something so slick and well-made off the back of the Wii U impressed the hell out of me.

As for how it feels while playing, it is super comfortable. No hand cramps after 20 minutes like on the 3DS, and no clunkiness from the gamepad. Even the joy con grip (which I expected to hate but feels pretty natural) feels nice. I will still buy a pro controller soonish but the joy cons feel good in both docked (grip and separated) and handheld mode. And speaking of handheld mode, it can definitely be used as a portable system. I went out for coffee this morning and took the Switch with me. I used it in handheld mode in the car, and it actually felt like a handheld. Used it in tabletop mode in the cafe (with the joy cons separated) and that also worked really well. I also showed it to my friend (who plays on PC and PS4) and I think I made him want one a little! But overall, it can definitely be used as a handheld (though I wouldn't advise keeping it in your clothes pockets, but I've personally never done that).

The UI is a mixed bag for me. I like the design of it and how fast it is, but it feels somewhat incomplete right now. I know more functionality will be added, so it's not a huge problem for me at the end of the day, but (and I will echo this sentiment again at the end of this post), it makes the system feel rushed out. Another issue which makes me feel this way is the launch lineup. Aside from Zelda, Fast RMX and Shovel Knight (which I haven't bought yet), nothing really interests me. Zelda is absolutely fantastic and I think Fast is pretty good from the little I've played of it (and Shovel Knight is Shovel Knight I suppose), but at the risk of sounding melodramatic, it's kind of heart-wrenching that such a nice piece of hardware wasnt launched with a suitably nice lineup of games. Lego City Undercover and Mario Kart 8 are next month so I feel that this issue will likely fade away one they hit (especially the later which I looooved on Wii U). But Zelda is definitely the real deal. I'm generally not a fan of open world fantasy RPG's, nor am I a Zelda fan, but this game is the best thing they could have launched with.

Overall, I really like the Switch. Despite its shortcomings in terms of software, it's a very well designed system with a ton of potential. A powerful handheld that can play home console games and act as an actual home console seems like a great direction for Nintendo to go in. While the Wii, 3DS and Wii U's party tricks were all gimmicks, the Switch's party trick is versatility. Being able to take this anywhere, and play in a variety of different configurations is an attractive prospect. As I said before, potential. However, I just hope that Nintendo uses that potential to fix some of the current issues.

TL;DR: Great piece of hardware, kind of lacking on the software side right now outside of Zelda.

Edit: Haven't had the joy con desync issue either, but I sit at my desk with the docked Switch pretty much in front of me.

Hawk269

I am getting my Switch later today, but can you do all the initial set up and all that while it is docked? In short, can I dock it immediately, plug it into my TV and turn it on for the first time docked and do all the initial set up, download the day 1 patch etc? I really don't plan on using it at all as a portable, so just curious if I can go straight to the dock to do everything the first time?

mindatlarge

Is anyone experiencing poor Wifi signals on their Switch? My 3ds at the other end of the house upstairs has full 4/4 bars Wifi signal. My Switch a few metres away from the router in the living room has 2/3 bars and only 50meg down on 5ghz. My xb1/ps4 receive around 180meg (and they're next to the switch)

Interesting. I've updated and reset mine a few times as people found in the connectivity thread and it seems fine. I've put it behind my back etc and it doesn't skip a beat.
The WiFi seems pretty subpar. At 2.4 GHz it won't even connect, where other devices, right next to the Switch, connect just fine on that frequency. At 5 GHz I get connected and not too much to complain at 30 Mbps down, which is normal for my wireless setup considering where my router is located. This could be an issue with wireless encryption methods. I know Nintendo devices have been picky in the past with those.

ktroopa

When the Switch is docked and you put it in sleep mode it doesn't continue charging? There's no indication on the Switch or dock to let you know if it is or not.

Also, ahem.......how do you turn it off fully? (Yes I feel stupid for asking)

Dont feel stupid coz im wondering the same.

It seems you cannot fully turn off the console while in docked mode. It just flashes the battery icon and then switches to tv mode. After a few seconds of non controller activity it goes back to sleep. Anyone confirm that docked offers just sleep mode and no full shutdown?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
First train ride to work with the Switch was a success. Comfortable to use, . Disabled Wifi and auto-brightness and turned it down to about 33% which wasn't too bad with random reflections. After an hour and change of playing I have around 73% left on battery. So more than enough charge for both ways and maybe a little playtime during lunch or on the can. Sound isn't as loud as I'd like, but I'm using $20 earbuds and it's not hard to hear, just doesn't drown out the noise around me.

lindseybp

Picked up my neon switch at gamestop last night. Played zelda until 3am. Zelda is legit. System is amazing. High quality, like an apple product. Worth the price of the system just to be able to play Zelda anytime/anywhere. Official Nintendo case is flimsy as shit. Going to have to buy a better one.

pringles

I really like the JoyCon grip. I was planning on getting a pro controller but might delay that purchase for a while.. the grip works just fine. The joycons seperated should work for some games but maybe not so much ones like Zelda.

d00p

Neo Member
RIP this guys switch. Blue screen of death while playing BoTW
Broke-NS.jpg

I have a friend I'm trying to help out. He said the guy he works with ordered 3 switches. He is already getting one from Walmart but the guy he works with said he'd sell them to coworkers for 300 even.

That being said my friend was thinking of buying one for his wife so they aren't fighting over who plays Zelda.Nice thought.

Anyway he was like yea if I get two we'll just put our account on each others this way we don't have to buy 2 sets of games, like Mario Kart down the road. I said I don't think it works like that.

Can anyone confirm how that would work or not, I don't think Nintendo let's that happen but haven't seen anything definitive. Thanks in advance.

Am I the only one who was freaked out by the subtle markings on the Pro Controller? I had no idea they were there, and at first I thought it was some kind of superficial fault lol.

Also, I hope it's okay but I sent everyone from my Miitomo list a friend request because why not.

Is the joycon grip perfectly fine for anyone else or do I have Trump hands?
I have big hands and love the one joycon in each hand configuration. OTOH, while it works well with Snipperclips, I don't see myself playing an action game with a single joycon.

Crazyorloco

I'm going to Best Buy to pick up my preordered system and to see if they'll have the Zelda special edition in stock...do you think I have a chance?

I want that CD...

Ok, so I got mine this morning and I gotta ask because I haven't really read through this thread, but am I just lucky or is there some other kind of problem with the joy cons? Because I've even played with the joy con behind my back and I haven't encountered a single problem with it? I haven't even touched the Pro Controller because I'm actually having fun with them playing in a more relaxed way. Maybe distance is a bigger factor?

jeffram

I just ordered a Switch, Zelda, and a pro controller. This is my first Nintendo Home console since the NES. Zelda pushed me over the edge.

I REALLY hope Nintendo builds a robust virtual console system, as there are so many Nintendo published games I'd love to have a chance to catch up on. I'm not interested in anything else coming out than Mario, and something to fill that gap would be much appreciated.

neoemonk

My kids have a half day of school today so they will be playing the Switch while I'm at work. I should ground them for something arbitrary.

Pro controller is the way to go. While they're perfectly serviceable for Zelda, I'm not really satisfied with the Joycon pair attached to the screen or as part of the grip. Maybe it'll grow on me once I have other things to use it for. Overall, Switch seems nice so far even if it all just hangs on BotW for its soft launch and I feel like the system is a reboot of Wii U in a way. Definitely seems like the weakest Ninty platform launch ever.

Kiter

Neo Member
So I just got my Switch with BotW LE, want to put the screen protector on and see that my Switch has freaking dust underneath the screen...
Right in the middle of the screen a white particle..
What a way to destroy all the hype for me..

Other than that it feels really amazing, build quality, ui.

Majine

Banned
I think the feeling when you hand a joycon to a friend and play Snipperclips is pretty great. Having a portable multiplayer system is so far its biggest strength.

Went to pick up my Switch last night at BB. People had been lining up as early as 1:00 P.M. Luckily with a pre-order I didn't have to show up until 11:30. Stood outside in the cold for a few minutes, then they let us in. There were a lot of people ahead of me so the store must have had quite a few switches to sell (Sandy,UT), I got my system just a bit before 1 A.M., but it was chill. When I got up there, still tons of accessories so I just grabbed a pro controller (plenty left) to go with my pre-ordered Switch and Zelda special edition. Just set the system up this morning and will be popping in Zelda in a bit. Feels real nice so far!

gdt

Ok so what are the major exclusives coming and when? I don't even know what's coming aside from the idea that it's pretty bare for a multi platform owner like me. I already own many of the launch titles.

I know MK8 deluxe is coming in April and Mario Odyssey later this year....

Yes, the joy cons will charge while they are connected in portable mode, but only to a certain level in order to preserve the main battery's charge.

Is this the case even if the system is plugged into a power source while in portable mode? At that point the system battery and both joy-cons should just charge from the power source or at least I would hope...

Yeah all the promotional videos and such showed them detaching really easily but I'm finding it a bit awkward. I think it's just me being clumsy though.

Yes, same here. I hope it gets better/smoother as I use it. Maybe the just need broken in a bit.

Is anyone experiencing poor Wifi signals on their Switch? My 3ds at the other end of the house upstairs has full 4/4 bars Wifi signal. My Switch a few metres away from the router in the living room has 2/3 bars and only 50meg down on 5ghz. My xb1/ps4 receive around 180meg (and they're next to the switch)

Interesting. I've updated and reset mine a few times as people found in the connectivity thread and it seems fine. I've put it behind my back etc and it doesn't skip a beat.

Yeah, I'm getting poor wifi connection as well. I was literally a foot from my router and only had two bars.

As everyone has pretty much said, the kickstand is garbage. When I opened mine for the first time I thought I had broken it. It seems quite flimsy. I will probably just avoid using it.

Also, an interesting thing I experienced... I was using the system in portable mode, updated Zelda, and then booted it. Once I booted it I switched the system to airplane mode so that wifi would be off (to conserve battery life). I kept getting notices to attach the joy-cons as they must be attached to use them while in airplane mode. Perhaps I didn't have them connected right, but I definitely got the sound and the animation on both sides of the screen when I attached them before going into airplane mode, so not sure what happened there. I disconnected them and then reattached them and everything was fine. Hopefully that's not a big issue going forward as I'll mostly be in airplane mode when using it as undocked.

marrec

Banned
Man I really love the UI from what I'm seeing.

Buuuut

Like the PS4 after you get a ton of games it'll get annoying.

MikeBison

I got a pro controller and have had a play around with it here and work and it feels great, but if I'd have got a chance to try to the joycongrip in the flesh before hand I might have just persevered with that, I have big hands yet it still feels great.

Dropped the kickstand out and passed a joy con to a colleague where we played through the snipper clips demo, had a blast!!

Look forward to getting home and hooking up to the TV for Zelda.

Also, to throw my 2 pence in, couldn't download the update using 5Ghz on our 150mp/s Virgin internet, downloaded in seconds using 2.4 Ghz. Odd.

Afrodium

Banned
I only had time to do the initial setup before work this morning but I'm so happy that it actually has a good UI. You're learning, Nintendo!

The device itself is really sleek and the joycons feel great. I'm impressed.

_Clash_

Ok so what are the major exclusives coming and when? I don't even know what's coming aside from the idea that it's pretty bare for a multi platform owner like me. I already own many of the launch titles.

I know MK8 deluxe is coming in April and Mario Odyssey later this year....

Arms in may or near there looks aces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom