• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pif

Banned
My left joycon still has issues even after updating.

Playing laying on the couch with my knees up in front of the joycon is enough to disrupt the signal.

Anyone else affected?

I apologize since I'm sure this is asked elsewhere / is easy enough once you have the system, but since I still have to wait 4-6 hours for my system, I figured I would ask.

I assume you can move your Wii U games and everything to the Switch (but not 3DS stuff, I assume?)

Is there anything you can't move from the Wii U to the Switch?

Anything else I should be aware of with regards to moving from the Wii U to the Switch?
You poor soul.

Big Brett

So im trying to figure out how to handle power on this thing. My joycons will eventually die playing on my TV, but when they're low can I play in handheld mode? Does that charge 'em or do they not require charge when attached to the Switch?

Ninja Dom

First things first. The neon Switch is beautiful, far better looking than i ever dreamed it would be, the pro controller is delightful (about 30mins into Zelda now) and i'm impressed and just how well put together the console is.

Having a little play around it does seem very basic but i'm sure this will change in time

I'm exactly the same. Beautiful. Also 30 minutes into Zelda. I think I'm gonna use the Parental App because I wanna see my playtime.

Question: What is the process to fully turn off or reboot the Switch? So far I'm just using Sleep Mode. Is there any reason to fully turn off? I never do on my 3DS.

Do downloads still occur in Sleep Mode?

Futaba

Does anyone know whether usb wireless headsets work by any chance?

Hm, I have the old ps3 bluetooth earpiece from Socom somewhere, I'll go try

[Edit] Nope, there is nowhere in the menus to manually manage bluetooth devices, so there's no way to get them to pair up.

Interfectum

My left joycon still has issues even after updating.

Playing laying on the couch with my knees up in front of the joycon is enough to disrupt the signal.

Anyone else affected?

Yeah when I play with one of my legs crossed if I lower the controller to my lap where my leg is in between the joycon and system the left one starts to misfire.

Gaz_RB

I apologize since I'm sure this is asked elsewhere / is easy enough once you have the system, but since I still have to wait 4-6 hours for my system, I figured I would ask.

I assume you can move your Wii U games and everything to the Switch (but not 3DS stuff, I assume?)

Is there anything you can't move from the Wii U to the Switch?

Anything else I should be aware of with regards to moving from the Wii U to the Switch?

Got bad news for ya bro.

Ok, found my first issue with the Switch.

Apparently it outputs a signal occasionally while in sleep mode.

The problem with this is that my 2016 Samsung TV (KS8000-something) switches channels to that HDMI port whenever it does this due to some auto-detect HDMI thingy. Which you can't turn off, from what I understand.

That can be turned off.. In your tv settings, go to system and turn off anynet

Ryan_09

So despite having work today, I still went to the midnight launch, immediately downloaded Shovel Knight and Fast RMX and played til almost 4am. Still got the wife to work on time and even made it to work early. Glad I took a nap yesterday.

I'm absolutely enamoured so far. <3
Great first impressions:
-ZERO defects! No scratches, dead pixels, wobbly bits, etc. Much better than my 3DS experiences.
-Build quality/feel is siiiick. I get GBA/Gamecube feels everytime I pick it up. Yay matte and fitting my tiny hands. ^-^
-It's much smaller than I thought it would be! I prefer gaming on handhelds. It fits like a glove; even the indivdual joycons! I tested Shovel Knight with one joycon and played just fine.
-Snappy/minimalist UI is a legit. Being minimalist is a negative for most people, but it's certainly my preference. I would still like to see stuff like inevitable web browser, folders, and Netflix/Hulu support in the future, but so far I appreciate the lack of bloat.
-I haven't even played in docked mode yet. Handheld and tabletop modes will be my primary ways of play. This is my dream handheld so far. Just needs a dpad variant of the left joycon and virtual console and it will surpass the GBA/3DS as my favorite system of all time.
-Pro controller is tight. The dpad is crazy good; I can't say I can empathize with the "too stiff"-complaints.
-Wish I had more time/a better way to mess with HD rumble. It's legitimately one of my most anticipated features. I got a taste of it last night with Fast RMX, but it felt underutilized?
-Weather might jack up my incoming Zelda order... I'm seriously considering trying to scrounge up another copy around town after work (and then trading in the original when jt comes in for credit) just so I can play jt over the weekend. That's how much I'm into my Switch. XD

Ninja Dom

So im trying to figure out how to handle power on this thing. My joycons will eventually die playing on my TV, but when they're low can I play in handheld mode? Does that charge 'em or do they not require charge when attached to the Switch?

On your Switch go into News and then "Battery Running Out". It says that the Joy-Con controllers will recharge just by attaching them to the console. They charge off the console even if the console itself isn't being charged.

mindatlarge

I am getting my Switch later today, but can you do all the initial set up and all that while it is docked? In short, can I dock it immediately, plug it into my TV and turn it on for the first time docked and do all the initial set up, download the day 1 patch etc? I really don't plan on using it at all as a portable, so just curious if I can go straight to the dock to do everything the first time?
This is what I did, unboxed the system and contents, slid the Joy-Cons on each side of the unit, popped the Switch into the dock and plugged in the Pro Controller, power adapter and HDMI. I did the setup with the Pro Controller with the Joy-Cons attached to the Switch in the dock. Everything synced like butter. I'd highly recommend a Pro Controller if you can swing one, it's a great controller.

The weakness of the WiFi baffles me. I hope this is something that can be patched at some point. My switch is about 10 feet from my router and isn't even catching a single bar. While every other connected device in my house is having zero issues. Weird.

Futaba

Wow I'm glad I cancelled my red straps wtf the color doesn't match. It actually seems to look better with the default gray straps.

OM3wU3H.jpg

Fixed (somewhat) :p

lindseybp

Anyone get a case? Care to share your feedback and pictures? Having a hard time picking one.

I got the official Nintendo one. I have to say it's pretty slim. Not as protective as I thought based on pictures. I would consider it a "light to medium duty" case, not a "heavy duty case". I'm going to look for a more protective case. Hopefully others can chime in with their thoughts on cases they have. I know gamestop had a ton of cases for sale.

lindseybp

Anyone having issues with the sd card? My Switch won't recognize it. Do I need to format it on PC first or something?

If I remember correctly I did the system update. The system restarted and a few minutes later I put in the sd card. Then it told me I needed another update which I did and it works fine for me. Did you do the "second" update?

Ninja Dom

Adding my Nintendo Account details to the Switch never brought my Mii over!! &#9785;&#65039;

Gonna have to use an Amiibo to transfer it over from my Wii U or 3DS unless there's something I've missed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Already did that. Did a soft reset on the TV now. Will see if that helps.

It can be turned off on the Switch's end. In TV Output under settings, called "Match TV state" or something along those line (I don't remember exactly). E.g. if the Switch is on the TV will turn on, if the TV turns off, the Switch will turn off.

F34R

I'm sitting at home with mine, and kinda bored. One game, Zelda. Once I play it, I'll have to wait for other games to come out. :(

usp84

Just got mine!

It's so small especially the controller but also more beatiful than i expected

So glad i got the grey one because the red/blue seems awful!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Got a My UPS notification, they just delayed my delivery till Monday :/

I'll have a JoyCon and Charging pad today.

Not the end of the world, I have plenty to do, but still sucks a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom