• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get'sMad

I guess I really should have grabbed a pro controller. In the mean time I'm going to just take a nap while the joycons charge with the Switch docked and then dive into Zelda.

Ryan_09

Walked into target and picked one up at 830 this morning n preorder no problem!

Does anyone know how to link Nintendo ID?

The user name doesn't seem link it's linking to anything?

Try using your email address instead. Turns out creating a User Name is actually a newish feature that you can do by signing into MyNintendo and going to account settings.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
This never worked for me. I've had anynet off for a while now and it still auto switches whenever something gets a signal. Wish there was a way because this has annoyed me for a while lol.

Did it work?

Don't know if it worked for me yet since it only happens occasionally. Did what this poster suggested too, which I guess might help as well:

It can be turned off on the Switch's end. In TV Output under settings, called "Match TV state" or something along those line (I don't remember exactly). E.g. if the Switch is on the TV will turn on, if the TV turns off, the Switch will turn off.

If anyone is looking for one that didn't preorder, try Toys-R-Us. They didn't have a ton of stock, but I was able to get one for myself and call up a buddy to come get his as well. This was in Bridgewater, NJ.

HeelPower

XG5ClfG.jpg
Time to start Zelda!

First impressions on Fast RMX are incredible.

Man,I won't lie.

This thing looks so fucking appealing :( I won't get one for a long time.

I hope its a success.Look so good :O

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do game updates download automatically? I checked Zelda and Bomberman manually as I'm impatient, but it'd be good to know if any updates come out in the future whether they'll download without prompting

I had to call in a sick day today. Not for the switch, but due to the flu. I'm so sick that I couldn't pick up my pre-ordered Zelda yet.

We are in the same boat ! But mine was not delivered ! Too sick to play anyway.

Going by the pictures in this thread I have to say i regret not buying a neon one.

Lgndryhr

I got the official Nintendo one. I have to say it's pretty slim. Not as protective as I thought based on pictures. I would consider it a "light to medium duty" case, not a "heavy duty case". I'm going to look for a more protective case. Hopefully others can chime in with their thoughts on cases they have. I know gamestop had a ton of cases for sale.

Thanks man! Yea I looked at that one last night while picking up my preorder. I didn't have a lot of confidence in it.

yyr

I'm not getting the system day one but it's fantastic to read about everyone's experiences, so keep those posts coming =) Thank you to everyone posting.

I apologize since I'm sure this is asked elsewhere / is easy enough once you have the system, but since I still have to wait 4-6 hours for my system, I figured I would ask.

I assume you can move your Wii U games and everything to the Switch (but not 3DS stuff, I assume?)

Is there anything you can't move from the Wii U to the Switch?

Anything else I should be aware of with regards to moving from the Wii U to the Switch?

I won't give you a snarky or jerk answer.

The Wii U was based on the same architecture as the Wii, which in turn was based on the same architecture as the GameCube. That is how Nintendo has been able to provide backwards compatibility for this long.

The Switch is based on an entirely new architecture that has nothing in common with any previous systems, therefore there is no backwards compatibility at all. So, you are not able to transfer anything from previous consoles to Switch.

It has been speculated that Virtual Console purchases might be discounted if you own a 3DS/Wii U version, just as you could pay a small "upgrade fee" to get the Wii U version if you owned the Wii version. But no details have been announced yet regarding VC at all, so that is merely speculation.

tenacioushe

Neo Member
My dock appears to have arrived busted, plugged it in, and nothing displays on the TV. Tried two TV's and a PC monitor as well as 4 or 5 different HDMI cables. Having to return to Amazon who have sold through their launch week stock and so I won't get to play Zelda for at least the best part of a week. Feel really let down as an early adopter, especially after spending so much on a pro controller exactly so I could comfortably play on a TV.

AGoodODST

I guess I really should have grabbed a pro controller. In the mean time I'm going to just take a nap while the joycons charge with the Switch docked and then dive into Zelda.

I was worried about this but my joy cons were fully charged near enough out the box. Glad I never wasted money on that charging grip now.

Ryan_09

Thanks man! Yea I looked at that one last night while picking up my preorder. I didn't have a lot of confidence in it.

I haven't received it yet, but I ordered the Hori Tough Case. Just based on prior Hori products, I have a lot of confidence in it.

ColdPizza

Banned
I was really impressed how Target handled everything this morning. Everything from Switches, to extra joycons, to pro controllers, to games and SE's, cases and Amiibos were all laid out nicely when your number was called.

sleepnaught

How many games are available in the eShop as of right now? It's gonna be a loooooong day at work! Can't wait to get off and unbox my Switch.

ZOONAMI

So does anyone have some slight give on their left joy con when attached?

Right one is rock solid but left one feels just a tiny bit wobbly.
Not a huge deal but would like to know if this is common.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't play breath of the wild at all. It shows the temperature in farenheit and there is no way to change it, I can't play it without that bothering the fuck out of me.

Does it actually say Farenheit or just F? If just F, then maybe its a Hyrulian temperature scale - would that make it easier to let it go?

So my switch arrived and left button of the D pad on the left joy con does not work.....

Going to have to deal with Amazon/Nintendo about getting this replaced.

Magnus

Do you like racing games? Did you play Fast Neo on Wii U? If Yes/No, absolutely get Fast RMX. $20 is a steal.

Woah, that game's only $20? Digital or physical? I really want a second game around this month but didn't feel like dropping $80 (Cdn) on something unknown.

Ninja Dom

Wow!

My Switch just ate through all the juice in my 5000mAh power bank in literally over an hour. And the Switch only charged from 10% to 30% while in Standby.

So how essential is the pro controller?

After one hour on zelda i jumped online to look for a good price.
I really, really didn't want to buy one but i can't play zelda in docked mode with the usual joy cons, a little bit small and awkward for my adult hands after 30 minutes.

Cabal

Ok, this thread is immense and I am sure this has been asked, but besides Zelda, what other game should I buy on eshop. Was looking at I am Setsuna. I love RPGs, but has anyone played it on Switch?

enoki

Change the router settings and set your wifi to WPA-PSK TKIP, with a new password and new SSID, and change the channel it's using, then re-try when the Switch is connected to the newly adjusted settings.

If you're connecting to a 5ghz mode wifi signal, try using the 2.4ghz instead, LOTS of people (including me) have had issues with 5ghz wifi.

Also, #teamneon for life.

Thank you, I will give it a go.

Shikoba

Picked mine up last night, so far I am loving the switch.

If you're not using a screen protector- how do you feel about it? I put one on last night, but despite my best effort it still got stuff stuck underneath it. Debating removing it and just going with the protector.

Ryan_09

Woah, that game's only $20? Digital or physical? I really want a second game around this month but didn't feel like dropping $80 (Cdn) on something unknown.

Digital only unfortunately. But imo, it's worth more than the asking price on both a single player and multiplayer level. It's also a great F-Zero substitute. ^-^

Rezbit

Dammit. Yeah I dunno if it's worth an exchange or not. I will probably hold onto for 60 days and then exchange at target.

Both my sticks have a small bit of wiggle room. Not sure if it's worth a worry, I'll at least play for now! Getting through Zelda will be the true test for the whole unit I feel lol.

KSweeley

Well, I'm planning on buying the Switch and Zelda next month, don't have the money to do it this month.

I'm getting the physical copy of Zelda because Polygon reports that digital Zelda takes up nearly half of the on-board memory of the Switch: http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-swi...drive-size-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

The Nintendo Switch’s hardware specifications arched some eyebrows when it was revealed that, once again, Nintendo was launching a console with a shrimpy 32 GB of flash memory on board. Now we know what it really means to a user. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild requires 13.4 GB of storage space if it is downloaded to the Nintendo Switch. That is a little under half of the internal capacity of Nintendo’s new console.

That's if the user is opting for the digital version of the game, of course. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be available on a game card, too. And the Switch's storage is expandable by microSDHC and microSDXC cards, which are sold in volumes up to 512 GB. But it's unclear if the Switch dock's USB port can be used to attach an external hard drive for storage.

Realize also that the Switch’s OS and other code will take up some space on the internal storage, but how much isn't known.

Again, with a capacity much smaller than the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, the Switch faces its users with the decision to uninstall and reinstall large digital titles they own, or buy physical media editions of large games and save whatever is onboard for smaller downloadable games, title updates and the like. It also means a hidden cost in the form of a SD card unless the user tightly manages the storage.

A Nintendo representative told Game Informer that the system can support microSDXC cards up to 2 TB in capacity, except they don’t exist yet. 1 TB cards also aren’t yet on the market; the largest microSD cards available offer 256 GB of storage, but they cost upward of $135.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom