• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

So just a bit of a bummer, but an FYI the switch does not appear to output bitstream. My receiver was full so I had to hook the switch directly to my ks8000. I had an optical running from the tv to the receiver for the tv apps, and the switch only triggers stereo no matter he setting.

Ryan_09

Dammit. Yeah I dunno if it's worth an exchange or not. I will probably hold onto for 60 days and then exchange at target.

Do you have a pro controller or at least an extra left joycon to test with/tide you over for a bit? If it's a joycon issue, you could send it back to Nintendo and try and get a replacement.

ktroopa

Change the router settings and set your wifi to WPA-PSK TKIP, with a new password and new SSID, and change the channel it's using, then re-try when the Switch is connected to the newly adjusted settings.

If you're connecting to a 5ghz mode wifi signal, try using the 2.4ghz instead, LOTS of people (including me) have had issues with 5ghz wifi.

Also, #teamneon for life.

Ok this might explain the issue i got atm. Using 5ghz wifi and signal is ropey. When the switch goes to sleep, it struggles to reconnect to wifi on wake. Does it work proper on 2.4ghz wifi?

Has anyone tried using a USB-C to HDMI/power adapter in lieu of the dock for video out yet?

My switch hasn't arrived yet, or i would try it myself.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone tried using a USB-C to HDMI/power adapter in lieu of the dock for video out yet?

My switch hasn't arrived yet, or i would try it myself.

I think Digital Foundry tried a USB-C to HDMI adapter and it didn't work. Do they do them with power spliced in? I hope someone will figure out a way to make that work

Sadist

Got mine this morning;

Stuck at work now, but the hour or so I fiddled around and quickly checked out Zelda is pretty positive. Update was pretty quick (under ten minutes) and I'm really surprised about the size.

Plus I love the Switch sounds when you click in the joycons. It's the little things.

UberTag

@PlayStation

Today's a big day for @Nintendo! Congratulations on launch, we can't wait to play. ��
Even Sony's excited for the arrival of the Vita successor.
They hope that people will now stop asking them about the Vita.

On a related note, my copy of Zelda beat my Switch to my mailbox this morning and the first thing I did was grab my copy of Wipeout Pure and compare the two cases. Switch case is roughly an inch shorter on the vertical axis, identical on the horizontal axis but SIGNIFICANTLY thinner than its PSP counterpart. And I just know I'm going to love those red spines provided that some publisher doesn't inevitably screw up and rebel against them.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
SO... it turned out for the best that my Amazon preorder got canceled. (long story.)

I had a grey preordered and really wanted a neon, but I didn't want to cancel since I was lucky enough to get a preorder

then it got canceled, tried my luck at Walmart, and ended up with a Neon

and seeing all these reports of Amazon missing ship dates, I'm relieved to have one in my hands

RaidenZR

Has anyone seen in the wild / received / tried the strap attachment thingies for the joycons? I'm wondering how they are for something like Snipperclips and 2-player sharing of the launch joycon.

Well, I'm planning on buying the Switch and Zelda next month, don't have the money to do it this month.

I'm getting the physical copy of Zelda because Polygon reports that digital Zelda takes up nearly half of the on-board memory of the Switch: http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-swi...drive-size-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

It really sucks but trying to play off like you don't have to constantly redownload and reinstall on PS4 without buying a new system is horseshit since you have to usually install the game even if it's a disc copy. I'm constantly stuck having to add and remove stuff on my PS4, none of them handle it elegantly.

Twookie

Shame there's no direct audio output from the stand, I only have a monitor availble and said monitor does not have speakers included, so the stand is a bit useless to me.

If I put an audiocable directly in the switch, does it output volume from that?

MrNelson

Banned
Has anyone seen in the wild / received / tried the strap attachment thingies for the joycons? I'm wondering how they are for something like Snipperclips and 2-player sharing of the launch joycon.
I haven't tried them yet, but two of them come packed in with the system.

For charging the pro controller, are you going to keep the USB cord plugged into the dock from the rear USB port and just tuck the cord away when done, or are you going to use one of the usb ports on the side of the dock? And is there a difference?

EDIT: I assume the USB ports on the dock always have power?

Apath

Why couldn't Nintendo have used a wider kickstand or included a second? It's fine for solid, flat surfaces but the Switch constantly tumbles over on anything else.

Anyone have problems with the Switch not finding their wireless network?

Every device, including Wii and Wii U are all running on it find and switch doesn't even see it existing.

Caayn

Do you guys leave the joy-cons connected to the Switch when they're full? So far I've pretty much exclusively used the Pro controller and will likely continue to do so, it's just too comfy. I fear that if I leave the joy-cons in a constant state of charging that it'll harm the battery.

McBryBry

So how essential is the pro controller?

Haven't found it necessary myself, but definitely a little more comfortable because it feels more traditional.

I've found pretty much every style to be playable. Pro controller, handheld mode, joycon grip, joycons free from everything. They all play well, some are just more comfortable (pro and handheld)

Ho my god....

the price of the Swiss ESHOP... IS nintendo out of their mind???

The highest price in store for the retail version of zelda is 75 CHF.... roughly 75$.... but on eshop? 90 fucking CHF!

we usually get the exact same price as the european country after convertion...

super bomberaman is 50 eur on the french Eshop... that convert to 55 CHF.... but on the eshop? 70CHF!

i mean how?? What did they smoke?? fortunately i created a french account, US account and japanese account!

KSweeley

It really sucks but trying to play off like you don't have to constantly redownload and reinstall on PS4 without buying a new system is horseshit since you have to usually install the game even if it's a disc copy. I'm constantly stuck having to add and remove stuff on my PS4, none of them handle it elegantly.

And that's why I'm primarily a PC gamer, I have a 2 TB hard drive and don't need to redownload and reinstall large games constantly.

Only reason I get Nintendo systems is I'm a big fan of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon and the Switch has Mario and Zelda confirmed with reports that Pokemon will be coming to the Switch.

Uhhhh ONE GAME on the PS4 doesn't take up over half of the onboard storage. There's no excuse for this.

Branduil

I haven't actually played a game with them, but just based on feel I think the straps will be kind of necessary. It's hard to press the SL and SR buttons without them.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'd really like to know what actual, logistical magic Amazon's got going on that mine hasn't shipped yet, but is apparently arriving by 8pm tonight. Have they basically conscripted Prime delivery people to help with this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why couldn't Nintendo have used a wider kickstand or included a second? It's fine for solid, flat surfaces but the Switch constantly tumbles over on anything else.

arse. So for a plane/train seat back tray it may constantly fall over? That was going to be my go-to for my commute home each day

Twookie

you get them when you buy the console.

they are alright, certainly good for 2 player sharing, wouldn't really use a single joycon without it tbh

Are the wriststraps meant to be tough to take off? Just spent 10 minutes trying to take them off (yes I was pressing the release button on the joy cons and had the lock bit off on the strap lol)

Do you guys leave the joy-cons connected to the Switch when they're full? So far I've pretty much exclusively used the Pro controller and will likely continue to do so, it's just too comfy. I fear that if I leave the joy-cons in a constant state of charging that it'll harm the battery.

I'd hope it'd be fine, remember the joy cons are docked in portable mode too, so you'd have to expect that Nintendo has put a shutoff mechanism in place to avoid them being constantly charged.

ZOONAMI

Do you have a pro controller or at least an extra left joycon to test with/tide you over for a bit? If it's a joycon issue, you could send it back to Nintendo and try and get a replacement.

No other controllers. It's not so bad it's going to make anything unplayable I just noticed it was different than the right joy con.

Also I think it may be an issue with the rail and not the joy con as I put them in backwards and the right joy con is a little wobbly as well when placed on the left side.

RaidenZR

you get them when you buy the console.

they are alright, certainly good for 2 player sharing, wouldn't really use a single joycon without it tbh

Yeah, that's what I was curious about. The contours with them on the joycon look more appealing, and the button extensions look more prominent.

Thanks for the info.

KSweeley

I'd really like to know what actual, logistical magic Amazon's got going on that mine hasn't shipped yet, but is apparently arriving by 8pm tonight. Have they basically conscripted Prime delivery people to help with this?

Amazon has their own delivery service: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201821690

About Deliveries from Amazon Logistics (AMZL_US)

Amazon Logistics is Amazon's delivery service. Orders shipped by Amazon Logistics will show as shipped by AMZL_US.

purg3

slept with Malkin
just set mine up and updated. love the feel of the system. pro controller is nice as well. Menu and UI are snappy.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ok, got a few hours of gameplay in last night.

Zelda is great. Got to the point where you leave the Great Plateau using the Joycon grip and it's surprisingly comfy for long periods of gaming. I have bigger hands and played drums in the past for perspective :p

Pro Controller is bliss though. I think 99% of people will love it. I also think it's going to be the standard for Splatoon 2. Way better build quality compared to the Wii U Pro Controller.

Joycons are small, but comfy.

I need to try Shovel Knight and Fast RMX but Zelda is too good D:

Ok this might explain the issue i got atm. Using 5ghz wifi and signal is ropey. When the switch goes to sleep, it struggles to reconnect to wifi on wake. Does it work proper on 2.4ghz wifi?

I had trouble connecting to the 5GHz wifi, but when I switched to 2.4GHz it was smooth sailing for me.

Uhhhh ONE GAME on the PS4 doesn't take up over half of the onboard storage. There's no excuse for this.

Sure but you still get whacked with tens of gbs on a PS4 even if you get a disc copy so you're screwed no matter what. At least with switch I'm mostly fine because I buy physical games and I'm not punished for buying physical games like on PS4. Again, I'm not excusing it but it's a really shitty situation on other platforms also, especially since you can't get around it even if you buy a retail copy.

mclem

Great start, me. I've managed to put a wriststrap on upside down.

It seems pretty wedged, and the release button isn't doing a great deal. Any suggestions?

UYRlo6e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom