• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
Nothing shocking about that. It'll be bundled in before long, as it should have been from the start.
I think it might be better if it's dirt cheap than bundled, if it's as poor experience as people are saying it is. Wouldn't paint a good picture for the system.

M0toko

Neo Member
Sometimes I love living in bumfuck nowhere. I just got to the local appliance store at opening hours and could buy a Switch no problem. No stupid queuing for me.

About the sync issues: I encountered problems when I put the dock behind my TV, after moving it to the front I've had no problems at all.

BuggyMike

So is the left joycon issue hardware or software? My 2 friends and I are ALL having the same issue but we can't really return since there's no stock...

Thats weird. One of the first things I did in zelda was purposely block the joy-cons by putting them way behind me, under my legs etc, and there were no issues at all.

Jedi2016

There shouldn't be any problems putting this on top of another console, would it? Say, a PS4? They'll never be on at the same time, heat wouldn't be an issue.

Slaythe

Oh my god, this shit is sold out everywhere.

I got a "pre order" literally 2 min before midnight as it was "guaranteed"... They were forced to find a stock for me, I don't have it but i should have it by tomorrow.

Moofers

Got mine this morning on the way to work. Pretty happy with it. I really appreciate that the battery was half-charged because it allowed me enough time to set it all up and play Zelda for about 15 minutes before heading into the office. It feels like a nice piece of hardware. It seems modern and sleek. Also like it is of good build quality. Nothing feels cheap.

I do think playing with the joycons by turning them sideways will be a bad way to play anything that uses the shoulder buttons because its impossible for me to hold one without hitting those. But I guess that's what the pro controllers are for. I got a feeling this thing will be the spiritual successor to the Vita. I'm into it. Glad I took the day one plunge. Excited for Zelda.

Pachimari

I'm currently deciding on buying a Switch in the store or not. What good eShop games are currently available? Shovel Knight? What else?

Ammogeddon

Couldn't take it any longer. Just ordered a Switch from Shopto, hopefully it'll come tomorrow morning.

They were selling Botw for £47 which is a bargain but unfortunately it's out of stock. Anyone recommend a UK store to buy it at a good price?

Futaba

I suspect eurogamer tried with a straight usb c-hdmi adapter, which will not work, if you dock the switch without the AC adapter connected to the dock, it does nothing, I believe it needs to be an adapter that supports both USB and USB-C power input, so I decided to be the guinea pig and I ordered a USB-C to HDMI adapter that also has USB-C power input and USB accessory input (just like the dock) from Amazon, which will be here in the morning (about 9 hours from now).

I'm fairly confident it will work and basically do the exact same thing as the dock, which would mean that there is a much, much cheaper option to buying a second Nintendo dock (the adapter runs about $25), and is also much more friendly for PC capture of gameplay.

Will post and let you know how it goes regardless.

JGCD

Neo Member
Getting mine soon in the mail but does anyone know if any two player games beyond 1-2 switch and bomberman that uses the joycons on their own exist on the eshop? I know shovel knight had a coop mode on wii U but is there anything?

12Switch not exactly flying off the shelves
1fdz6GZ.jpg

$30 on sale before Easter........

Did we ever find out if microsd cards were slower or faster than game cards?

Pejo

Best Buy Pre-order is out for delivery. Hopefully it's there before I get home from work.

I'm actually strangely excited to try this out. Need to stop at Best Buy on my way home to pick up BotW.

unrealist

Anyone knows if there is a charging indicator light? I plugged in my cable and cant tell if it is charging.

And also, A button being "Confirm" and B being "Cancel" can't be changed right? I think my PS Vita is the other way round lol.

M0toko

Neo Member
Getting mine soon in the mail but does anyone know if any two player games beyond 1-2 switch and bomberman that uses the joycons on their own exist on the eshop? I know shovel knight had a coop mode on wii U but is there anything?

There are a few Neo Geo ports that can be played with one joycon per player.

spekkeh

Banned
It's so tiny 😱.

Everything seems to be working fine so far. Now to update. 650 minutes remaining. Greaaatt

The way my TV cabinet is built, I need to tilt it over every time I dock / undock it. Let's hope that doesn't damage anything. I'm surprised it seems to be sitting on top of the USB or something. There's no hard click.

Finally opened my Switch and set it up. Flawless system, everything works, no loose joycons, no dead pixels, kickstand is fine, so awesome. Pro controller is ace. Buying the Zelda expansion pass, and now waiting for UPS to show up with Zelda.

Jedi2016

I suspect eurogamer tried with a straight usb c-hdmi adapter, which will not work, if you dock the switch without the AC adapter connected to the dock, it does nothing, I believe it needs to be an adapter that supports both USB and USB-C power input, so I decided to be the guinea pig and I ordered a USB-C to HDMI adapter that also has USB-C power input and USB accessory input (just like the dock) from Amazon, which will be here in the morning (about 9 hours from now).

I'm fairly confident it will work and basically do the exact same thing as the dock, which would mean that there is a much, much cheaper option to buying a second Nintendo dock (the adapter runs about $25), and is also much more friendly for PC capture of gameplay.

Will post and let you know how it goes regardless.
Consider one thing before you spend any money:

How does the Switch know that it's docked?

I've always been under the impression that there's a chip in there, probably very simple but still proprietary, that communicates with the Switch to tell it what mode to be in. That the dock was never just a plastic case with a simple USB>HDMI adapter.

Someone would have to rip a dock apart to be sure, of course.

JoeNut

Playing Zelda free-form/nunchuck-style is a dream. Sooo comfy. No way I'm getting a Pro controller now.

Wow, this is Nintendo's best piece of tech ever. No question. Everything is crisp, clean, smooth. Zelda controls like a dream in free balling joy con mode. Feels unbelievably natural.

I can't believe this is Nintendo hardware tbh. Its like night and day to me.
This is great to hear, as a non pro owner.

This thing gets kinda hot after some handheld play! I guess I'll get used to that, but definitely a distraction so far.
that's not good to hear, haven't seen that from anyone else so far and a bit of a concern

Sorry dude but the switch dropped all kinds of BC since it's new architecture. But tbh I don't think anyone knows for a fact how our VC purchases from Wii U will be handled on Switch. So here's hoping.

Ouch. Was really counting on my VC games transferring over...
Not a dealbreaker, but certainly a disappointment...

II won't give you a snarky or jerk answer.

The Wii U was based on the same architecture as the Wii, which in turn was based on the same architecture as the GameCube. That is how Nintendo has been able to provide backwards compatibility for this long.

The Switch is based on an entirely new architecture that has nothing in common with any previous systems, therefore there is no backwards compatibility at all. So, you are not able to transfer anything from previous consoles to Switch.

It has been speculated that Virtual Console purchases might be discounted if you own a 3DS/Wii U version, just as you could pay a small "upgrade fee" to get the Wii U version if you owned the Wii version. But no details have been announced yet regarding VC at all, so that is merely speculation.

I appreciate the answer / detail.

Glix

Fast RMX can be played with single joycons

I think it might be better if it's dirt cheap than bundled, if it's as poor experience as people are saying it is. Wouldn't paint a good picture for the system.

I think people can more readily forgive it as it were 'free', then if they spent money on it, whether it be $50 or $20.

So... how essential is the pro controller for Zelda? Wasn't planning on buying one and would like to give myself a chance to get used to the joycons in grip. But I don't want to hobble my Zelda experience.
Then again, I could do without spending nearly a hundred dollars Canadian right now.
My Switch is arriving later today, so I don't know how the joycons in grip feels yet in my hands.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some images from the launch in Japan:

switchretailn7ue8.png

Images courtesy of Kyodo News/Bloomberg/The Asahi Shimbun.

trixx

The good thing about this console is how small it is. The bad thing is how small it is. The pro controller seems like a must because the analogues, buttons and the triggers are very small on the joycons. I think I'd rather play with the joycons seperately than on the grip

The tech is pretty impressive for the unit itself. It's ver lightweight. Compared to my xbox one it's TINY even with the dock. Ultimate travel console.

_Clash_

So... how essential is the pro controller for Zelda? Wasn't planning on buying one and would like to give myself a chance to get used to the joycons in grip. But I don't want to hobble my Zelda experience.
Then again, I could do without spending nearly a hundred dollars Canadian right now.
My Switch is arriving later today, so I don't know how the joycons in grip feels yet in my hands.

Split controller with joy cons

Don't even need the straps

Do it.

flattie

Just got home with mine. Grey one with Zelda. Not played the game, but I love the OS. Snappy, minimalist and easy to use. Good work Nintendo.

The hardware is wonderful. It's compact and feels solid. I am very impressed with Nintendo's product so far. I was worried about buyer's remorse, but that is fading quickly and I haven't even started Zelda yet.

unrealist

My first 2 hours with Zelda in handheld mode is jaw dropping. I owned tons of consoles, even obsure ones and still find it pretty amazing. Sure it is not pocketable but it is travel friendly and very light for the size. The Nvidia Shield Tablet easily feels twice as heavy without the controllers. It feels really premium but I am afraid I will scratch the back.

Zelda is hands down the best open world game I played so far - it is like a mix of Far Cry, Elder Scrolls, Witcher and much more. I am impressed by the combat and scale of the game.

jts

...hate me...
I think the consensus is that the Pro Controller is much better that Joy-Cons in grip... but...

...on the other hand, split Joy-cons is also supposed to be godly and the Pro Controller can't do that.

kami_sama

FUCK FUCK FUCK
Even If I drop completely the volume, there some sort of noise that can be heard )even if a lot less so, without headphones. It's a constant hiss.
FUCKING FUCK

Anyone else hear a low level hiss/buzz when using earphones on the switch? It's drowned out when other sounds are happening but it's there when it's otherwise quiet.

I ALSO HEAR IT. Can you hear it in the speakers?

AGoodODST

As someone with normal sized hands, I think the grip is fine. Yeah the buttons are smaller and the sticks don't have as much movement as a traditional controller, but it has zero impact on the game and you get used to it after a few minutes.

The grip size was something I was really worried about but couldn't be happier with it really.

Definitely picking up a pro down the road, but it's not essential at launch in my opinion.

Kyuur

Got mine! Decided to pick up a charging grip too, the regular grip will remain useless until I pick up a second pair of joycons I guess.

I said in a post in the Canada thread my TRU had 9 extra. The 10th person to show up was a little girl with her mom, was heart breaking. :( At the same time a little boy showed up in line about 40 minutes early, so much hussle, glad he got one. Lots of other people showed up and didn't get one too, some guy I talked with on the way up said he had given up on getting one, he didn't expect to find one for months (maybe hyperbole).

Joycons are fucking fantastic feel so far. It's been so long since I held wiimote + nunchuck but this is that comfort * 1000. I haven't had any issues with my left joycon, even tested behind my back and several feet away from the console docked, before update even!

Darkone

Sigh, so hyped to get me a Switch but with only Zelda that intrests me and afrer that putting the switch aside untill another great exclusive game comes really turns me off 😢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom