• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Played some Bomberman and Zelda so far. Is anyone else experiencing bad input lag? It's present on both the Switch's screen and my KS8000, which has been great with other consoles.

If its both its probably not the TV then.

How far are you away from the system? Maybe hitting the desyncing issue

Lanrutcon

Figured I'd check out the pricing in my country (South Africa)

Switch + 1 game costs the same price as a PS4 Pro.

Yikes. Give it until the end of the year before retailers drop it over here. WiiU also tanked due to insane pricing.

VanWinkle

After using the Wii U tablet all day yesterday then this, I'm struck by how much more comfortable the old tablet is. Switch is obviously way more stuff and angular, but my hands are beginning to hurt already. I hope this is just a physical learning curve, but reminds you how pillowy the Wii U was.

Oh yeah, for sure. The Gamepad, for how utterly ugly and massive it was, was very comfortable. But I'm used to handhelds, so this isn't bad to me.

ktroopa

I had no time to play Zelda yet but i have some questions for the console.

If the console is docked and OFF(sleep mode?) does it charge?

Also i only saw the option to put the console on Sleep Mode but no Turn Off option?Weird.

yep i cannot see any option to switch off - heh.

trixx

I wanna know this too. Can I use the Apple 12w USB adapter and a USB-C cable? Anyone tried it yet?

I used my Huawei Honor USB C Charger at first to charge it and it seemed to work fine, though I'm sure it doesn't give off as much power as pack in charger

Checked on Amazon today for the hell of it...

Someone in New Hampshire was selling a new one for $285 and says he won't have it in stock to send until Tuesday and has no feedback history as a seller...

Why does something feel suspicious there... Hmm...

Cathcart

Do we know if the Switch supports USB wired network adapters? Turns out my living room wifi isn't as strong as other parts of the house. Luckily the Switch allows me to easily download in another room but I'll have to do something before Splatoon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do games switch between 'both joycons being used as player one controller' and 'each joycon being for a different player' in games like bomberman? Is it a setting in the game that can automatically adjust? Hope its simple to do.

Thewonandonly

God damn Zelda with their wacky button design. Let's have b on bottom while a is in the side. Then they switch ;) the y and x button. Get with the system nidento their are set rules!!

Anyway starting my first Zelda ever and am pumped. Even after decent reveiws ;) I'm more pumped then ever.

FzsfJly.png

Well, I wasn't going to buy one until autumn, but here I am. I went with my buddy to Best Buy and they said they had one left. I thought about it for a while, but then arrived at the conclusion that it would be dumb not to buy it. If I don't want it, I have a few friends that will buy it from me to avoid scalper prices.

Glad I picked up a pro controller. Screen is so small that it really doesnt do zelda justice since I cant make out all the detail like the grass, and the text is small and hard to read.

Setsuna works great in handheld mode, its like its designed for handheld. Hopefully bravely default/second get ported or we get a new one to switch

Also bought RMX from store, surprised was $20 given how few games are out (would have paid $30 for it easily)

Phoenixus

How are you guys finding the left Joy-Con buttons as directional inputs? Been playing shovel Knight with them and kinda surprised how little difference there seems to be in regards to feedback and response. I'm sure I'll eat my words when I try a 2d fighter with it of course. :p

Anson225

When docked, there is a little wiggle room for the console where I can move it back and forth... is this normal?
seems a bit shaky when I try to attach/detach joy cons

Somehow nabbed one on Walmart.com, hoping they actually have it in stock to ship on time and didn't just put me into a waiting list without actually saying so...

branny

Playing Shovel Knight in handheld mode makes me sad. Rocking the analog stick back and forth to fine-tune a jump is not the same as using a d-pad with shorter travel distance. Still fucking pissed Nintendo basically gimped every 2D game in portable mode for the sake of Joycon sharing.

Also, yikes @ that choppy-ass DQ Heroes demo. Barely any use of the HD rumble, too. Was expecting way more after hearing that stuff about "being able to feel your sword hit a metal slime in a crowd of enemies" and all that.

Nairume

Banned
How are you guys finding the left Joy-Con buttons as directional inputs? Been playing shovel Knight with them and kinda surprised how little difference there seems to be in regards to feedback and response. I'm sure I'll eat my words when I try a 2d fighter with it of course. :p
They seem fine.

nikos

If its both its probably not the TV then.

How far are you away from the system? Maybe hitting the desyncing issue

It's definitely not my TV. It's also bad on the Switch's screen with the Joycons attached. I'm three feet away from it in TV mode.

KingErich

Banned
The new Zelda looks amazing.

I really wish Nintendo would have just released a Switch without a screen and set the price at $200. Also, dump the milking pads, and shipped with a regular controller. I would have bit day 1.

Chao

Played some Bomberman and Zelda so far. Is anyone else experiencing bad input lag? It's present on both the Switch's screen and my KS8000, which has been great with other consoles.

It's not input lag, it's the joycon desyncing issue

thefil

WiFi seems to suck on this thing. Connected to work WiFi with my phone no problem, but the Switch can't get on. Currently downloading the OS update over my phone's hotspot which would only connect with the phone right beside the switch.

ktroopa

regarding the day one update im posting this here as it may helps others.

when i tried to update over wifi it said 142mins and reached 80% very quickly but then sat there for like 10mins and then moved to 83% - i said bollocks to that as read the update was meant to be quick. i went to home menu and checked my wifi which was not great. then reconnected the wifi and went to the eshop again and the update had downloaded. the system update then went thorugh fine. So if you see a stupidly high wait time for the update try this. it will not brick as its just the download file and not the actually update process - which was fast anyway. the system tells you even that you can press home while you wait for the update to download.

WiFi seems to suck on this thing. Connected to work WiFi with my phone no problem, but the Switch can't get on. Currently downloading the OS update over my phone's hotspot which would only connect with the phone right beside the switch.

Does the dock come with the Ethernet input?

The new Zelda looks amazing.

I really wish Nintendo would have just released a Switch without a screen and set the price at $200. Also, dump the milking pads, and shipped with a regular controller. I would have bit day 1.

Yeah switch is an amazing handheld but the screen is too small and the detail too high to really do justice to the visuals for Zelda in handheld mode. Its hard to read text or see the fine details in the environments. Very glad picked up a pro controller (would be paranoid of sync issue with joycons given game doesnt pause if it desyncs I believe)

Handheld mode is great with setsuna which has simpler graphics and is very easy to read

Also, it fits inside my pocket very nice nothing sticks out the top of the pocket. Would need the joycons in other pocket but its nice size. Feel very high tech and quality made, both the tablet and the joycons.

Made my first Japanese Nintendo account. So easy. Didnt follow instructions or anything. Downloading some demos now.

Still want to test out 5v 2.4a battery charging.

lt519

Did everyone lick a cartridge yet? Even my wife tried it this morning she was curious :p

Also NintendoLand was an amazing packin don't even compare it to 1,2 Switch. Mario Chase to this day still has the best asymmetric multiplayer.

Switch case + Zelda was $80 so I thought I'd just splurge on the Limited Edition and pay the $20 extra for the soundtrack.

Genuinely taken aback at how awesome this case is. For some reason I thought the Sheikah slate art was just going to be printed on a thin flimsy case, but wow. It's hilariously ostentatious but I love it. Absolute amazing.

Now I'm just waiting for FedEx to bring my Switch.

thefil

Does the dock come with the Ethernet input?

No ethernet on the dock.

Apparently you need the day-1 patch to connect to certain authenticated WiFi networks. So how are you supposed to download the patch without it????

Anyways, will try again once the patch is installed.

Fletcher

Welp having the sync issues with my left joy con. What a pain in the ass. Luckily I was able to order a pro controller through target last night. Just gotta go pick it up.

That sync issue is rough, though.

Jzero

Man it really is tiny. The build quality feels great. The sticks on the joycon feel so weird to me though.

xsarien

daedsiluap
No ethernet on the dock.

Apparently you need the day-1 patch to connect to certain authenticated WiFi networks. So how are you supposed to download the patch without it????

Anyways, will try again once the patch is installed.

Oh, Nintendo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom