• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not prepared for how good the screen looks. Like, I am in total shock.

Also, hooked it up to my TV. RGB Mode: FULL RANGE. Thank you sweet baby jesus.

AGoodODST

I was not prepared for how good the screen looks. Like, I am in total shock.

Also, hooked it up to my TV. RGB Mode: FULL RANGE. Thank you sweet baby jesus.

Yeah, I keep undocking it just to admire the screen haha.

I quite like that the official case has to own stand in it. Means I won't have to rip my finger nails off getting the kick stand out.

Coda

nxt5r5x.png

Such a nice piece of hardware. Also setting up a Japan account and getting games early is what's up on this thing. The region free functionality is great on this console, love how as long as your region is set the console knows to translate most of the Japanese games on the eShop currently; just absolutely brilliant.

Jon

Controllers in the grip took like five minutes to get used to, but it's already very comfortable. I was one of the people who felt I'd likely only use this in docked mode, but the screen looks fantastic and I'd feel guilty if I don't take advantage of that! Setup was a breeze. Sleep mode is amazing. So far so good!

Can't wait to get home from work and try out 1,2 Switch and then play Zelda until my controllers die.

Sold out at both shops I went to.

My order is still not there! First time ever I had a delivery so delayed and of course it's the freakin Switch!

jonno394

nxt5r5x.png

Such a nice piece of hardware. Also setting up a Japan account and getting games early is what's up on this thing. The region free functionality is great on this console, love how as long as your region is set the console knows to translate most of the Japanese games on the eShop currently; just absolutely brilliant.

Why did you buy the witches with motorcycles game?

burgerdog

So I picked my gray switch at walmart this morning as a walk in and the dude in front of me told another guy in line the following: You can play your Wii U games on Switch for a limited time. I couldn't bring myself to tell him that he was wrong, hopefully they are not too disappointed when they get him and start looking for the disc slot.

Damn, I just noticed this morning that my Switch is coming by UPS and my copy of Zelda is coming by USPS.

I'll be getting both today, but I'll probably get one several hours before the other. :(
I suppose I can buy an eShop game to make the wait easier.

Spent a couple of hours with the Switch and i have to say i am impressed.

Really is a premium piece of kit. Nintendo really have outdone themselves with the design of the console. Bit finger and thumbs with it all though, but i guess i get used to handling it over time.

Pleased to say , so far i have no joy con issues (tried covering it and putting it behind my back and all works good. Fingers crossed it stays that way).

One thing though, how do you properly power down the unit? When i attach the joy cons i can't use it when docked to properly power it off, i have to take it off, power it off, but when i re-attach it the system wakes up. Don't mind being it in sleep mode, but i rather have it off.

ZOONAMI

I ended up returning because left joy con was wobbly. Just didn't feel right and I knew it would keep bothering me. As far as I could tell it was the rail and not the joycon, because right joy con was also wobbly when put in backwards on left side, and left joy con no wobble when put on the right side.

I also felt the kickstand is way too cheap and flimsy.

Target out of stock so I couldn't even exchange. Oh well. Maybe in a few months the QC will be a bit better.

NimbusD

It's so... light... and small.... and feels good! The buttons are tight, OS is responsive...

I.... like it?

I was so worried this morning picking it up that i was essentially just getting a protable wii u and I was so burned by the wii u I was getting anxiety over it... but I'm back on the side of being happy about this.

It really is a portable. I could never get into my 2ds much because the small screens are just too much to strain at for any significant period, this screen is perfect.

VanWinkle

I don't want to sound like a debby downer, but I am not super impressed with the hardware. I picked up my Vita after playing with the Switch for a couple of hours and the Vita instantly felt more premium. The screen looked a lot better, too. The PPI is close enough that the higher resolution of the Switch isn't really noticeable.

Here are my hardware thoughts. Analog sticks feel like a little bit better version of the Vita's. I'm okay with that but I did hope for more range of motion. I love that it uses USB-C. The Joy-Cons are growing on me. They feel really nice. The "d-pad" is ACTUALLY not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Doesn't beat a real d-pad, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It feels nice having rumble on a handheld. Haven't seen it before. The weight of the unit is perfect. Buttons all have great clickiness.

About the dock, I don't know why they went the way they did with the cables. My first thought when I had seen how it's done a couple of months ago was, "Cool, it's like cable management!" But I didn't think about it more, because it would have made way more sense to just put the ports in the back like everyone else. Now, instead of the cables just disappearing into the back of the dock, they're sticking out on the side. Very odd decision.

MrBlonde

I went into Best Buy just now with my daughter, she's on school vacation and I have the day off so I said why not I'll take a look but I'm sure they are out. They still had a stack of grey and neon. I was shocked and not prepared to buy one and told myself to wait a few months since there is not much out yet.... yeah I walked out with one and Zelda, I hope I don't regret it cause I really don't need it and I'm pretty much an Xbox gamer but I do think this will be cool in be long run so we'll see.

Scoops

Banned
I'm not smart, whats the difference between shovel knight spectre of torment, and shovel knight treasure chest thing?

Specter of Torment is a brand new campaign that just launched today.

Treasure Trove is basically Shovel Knight complete. The base game plus all DLC (including Specter of Torment.)

I wasn't going to apply a screen protector, but i think i will after docking/undocking it a few times. Bit worried about that. But everything else is thumbs up.

addyb

Quick one for my American based brothers. I was under the impression Isaac afterbirth+ was a launch title. I'm uk based and have created different region accounts etc but I cannot see it on the store.

Just wondered if it actually was there or it was delayed.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Did Nintendo ever get their distribution shit together with the Switch? (Haven't really been paying attention to any of this) I understand new console hype, but there's really no excuse for not having enough supply for product launches nowadays. This isn't sophisticated hardware. Like, if I wanted to pick this up this week, is gonna be a fucking pain in the ass?

Futaba

Consider one thing before you spend any money:

How does the Switch know that it's docked?

I've always been under the impression that there's a chip in there, probably very simple but still proprietary, that communicates with the Switch to tell it what mode to be in. That the dock was never just a plastic case with a simple USB>HDMI adapter.

Someone would have to rip a dock apart to be sure, of course.

Way ahead of you.
Already stripped the dock and poked around with the layout, seems to be a fairly straight forward assortment of controllers and converters according to the datasheets for each, the only real curiosity is the MX25V2006E 2Mbit CMOS serial flash chip, if the converter I picked up doesn't work, I'll dump the contents of the flash chip and have a poke around.

It was awfully nice of Nintendo to leave (and label) an interface for doing exactly that, too.
FyVAYWk.jpg

For those interested, it's an ARM based serial wire debug port.

ZOONAMI

Did Nintendo ever get their distribution shit together with the Switch? I understand new console hype, but there's really no excuse for not having enough supply for launch nowadays. Like, if I wanted to pick this up this week, is gonna be a fucking pain in the ass?

It seems to be pretty much sold out everywhere.

jonno394

Quick one for my American based brothers. I was under the impression Isaac afterbirth+ was a launch title. I'm uk based and have created different region accounts etc but I cannot see it on the store.

Just wondered if it actually was there or it was delayed.

17th march

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
After using the Wii U tablet all day yesterday then this, I'm struck by how much more comfortable the old tablet is. Switch is obviously way more stuff and angular, but my hands are beginning to hurt already. I hope this is just a physical learning curve, but reminds you how pillowy the Wii U was.

usp84

I had no time to play Zelda yet but i have some questions for the console.

If the console is docked and OFF(sleep mode?) does it charge?

Also i only saw the option to put the console on Sleep Mode but no Turn Off option?Weird.

Just had hell of a time trying to get it to display on my TV. I don't even know what fixed it. I tried plugging it into different HDMI cables, different screen entirely, plugging it into different outlets, factory resetting it and so on. I gave up and plugged it back into the outlet I started with and it popped up so I am at a loss on what the issue was. At least it's working fine now!

Best buy tested my switch ac adapter out and it was indeed defective. They replaced everything with a new switch. I won't be able to test out the new unit until tonight. Although nothing like a defective ac adapter to sell me on the extended warranty. BTW, the best buy customer service was awesome and friendly.

McBryBry

If me and my friend buy Fast RMX, can we play on his Wi-Fi against each other on separate consoles? I'm still kinda confused on the multiplayer capabilities of this thing at this point in time.

nikos

Played some Bomberman and Zelda so far. Is anyone else experiencing bad input lag? It's present on both the Switch's screen and my KS8000, which has been great with other consoles.

I've spent a few hours with Zelda and messing around with the Switch, and I feel optimistic. It's obviously not the perfect experience, but Nintendo is mostly doing things right from hardware design to changing things up with their younger developers. I don't know if this means the system is going to be a massive hit, but it seems sustainable and innovative unlike any of their previous efforts as best as I remember. I'm excited to see Switch grow alongside Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom