• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logash

Played a bunch of Zelda last night and man is it living up to the hype so far. Oh and what a surprise Snipper Clips turned out to be. Me and my friend played the demo and instantly bought the full game. Haven't had this much multiplayer fun in a while. Those two games makes this launch totally worth it

Savitar

FzsfJly.png

I've noticed Playstation or whoever does their tweets seems to be pretty good with Nintendo, maybe it helps they realize that Nintendo isn't so much the competition in a sense.

I still can't get the connectivity stuff fixed, also noticed that the left Joycon doesn't get fully loaded. So, I guess I've got a shitty one. Gonna return it, now I'm just debating whether to try to get another one or go and buy Zelda for WiiU...

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Getting my replacement console when I get off work. Playing with my faulty console, Fast RMX is damn good. Easily the best of my digital purchases for this console so far. Shovel Knight co-op with some co-workers was fun as well.

Way ahead of you.

Already stripped the dock and poked around with the layout, seems to be a fairly straight forward assortment of controllers and converters according to the datasheets for each, the only real curiosity is the MX25V2006E 2Mbit CMOS serial flash chip, if the converter I picked up doesn't work, I'll dump the contents of the flash chip and have a poke around.

It was awfully nice of Nintendo to leave (and label) an interface for doing exactly that, too.
FyVAYWk.jpg

For those interested, it's an ARM based serial wire debug port.

Hoping this will work, but my UPS guy usually delivers around 8pm, so I won't know for a long time.

ktroopa

I searched a bit and it seems that you have to press the HOME button and there is an option to turn off the console instead of putting on sleep mode.

a long press of the power button gives an option for power and then shutdown. pressing home button only offers sleep for me. i thought there may be a shutdown option when docked, but cant see it anywhere

No ethernet on the dock.

Apparently you need the day-1 patch to connect to certain authenticated WiFi networks. So how are you supposed to download the patch without it????

Anyways, will try again once the patch is installed.

Is this a joke... every console has the input! I fucking hate wireless online gaming. I even bought the Ethernet adapter for the Wii i because Nintendo is so god damn stupid.

AGoodODST

how do games switch between 'both joycons being used as player one controller' and 'each joycon being for a different player' in games like bomberman? Is it a setting in the game that can automatically adjust? Hope its simple to do.

In Bomberman on the character select screen there is a notice at the top to push X to enable horizontal mode. I don't know if there is another way.

sleepnaught

Is there any protective cover for the Switch? I don't know how feasible it would be considering the Joycons, but would be interested in getting something like that for my Switch.

Moofers

Is it weird that I want to push the Switch and the Vita together so they can kiss? Maybe have a marriage ceremony for them? That's not weird is it?

Futaba

Hoping this will work, but my UPS guy usually delivers around 8pm, so I won't know for a long time.

Assuming there isn't any ID detection going on over USB3.0 before initiating handshake to hdmi, and it's (as I assume) just simply a case of detecting a powered hdmi connection and auto-switching, it *should* work - however if it doesn't then what's likely happening is that the console is checking for a particular ID when connecting and switching based on that.

If that's the case I'll dump both the ARM and MXIC chips and figure out what the switch is looking for.

I don't know, I just like tinkering.. I'm half tempted to crack open the system itself and have a poke around in the NAND too..

Morokh

Hardware feels amazing, and I actually was surprised with how tiny it actually is.

System update went well, Zelda one takes it's time though :mad:

blado

I just walked into a target this morning and picked one up. Makes me glad I didn't preorder since it was that easy to find one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Are there any glass screen protectors for Switch? I love the one on my phone and despise the old style plastic protectors that tend to get bubbles/dust under them.

My god, the Pro controller is fantastic. Love the look and build quality. Better in person than in photos or whatever. Looked kind of cheap to me initially. The button layouts are perfect which for me they were not on the Wii U pro.

Moofers

I find it creepy personally, like a kid always wanting the attention. Its a corporate name not a person, and secondly its an indirect boast of "We can cheer on this other company because we are dominating console sales and nintendo is no threat to our business"

Nah. They all throw nice tweets at eachother. I see it as an honest show of respect between competitors who also share a workforce pool. Many are former colleagues. Xbox did it to PlayStation and now today to Nintendo, and both Sony and Xbox congratulated eachother on their respective launch days for PS4/XOne. Honestly I don't know if I've ever seen Nintendo send a tweet like that.

I just walked into a target this morning and picked one up. Makes me glad I didn't preorder since it was that easy to find one.

Yeah, I picked up a pro controller in target surprised to see no people around. Was quiet in Best Buy too only 1 person there asking for switch, though I guess all the hardcore fans were there at midnight

If nintendo have more supply coming to stores, should be easy to find one.

Regarding getting a new Switch, can I just delete my account on the broken one and log in to a new one with all my download games available? Or is Nintendo still stuck in WiiU kind of terribleness in that regard?

Kaelan

574 minutes remaining for system update. Wow. Most likely my shit college internet combined with update servers getting hammered.

My god, the Pro controller is fantastic. Love the look and build quality. Better in person than in photos or whatever. Looked kind of cheap to me initially. The button layouts are perfect which for me they were not on the Wii U pro.

Yeah its nice, glad target had some to buy on the shelves this morning. They had a bunch of games, but didnt see Skylanders wihch I thought was a launch title. I like the idea of a digital library in switch version, as well as it being handheld.

branny

Anyone get Shovel Knight yet? How's it feel with the joy cons
It's decent. The slightly shorter travel distance on the analog sticks helps, but it can still feel a little unwieldy if you're used to playing with a d-pad. Things like midair movement correction feel less precise. Might just need some extra adjustment time.

The fake d-pad buttons are much less usable for me, though. For example, holding down to do the shovel hop while alternating between left and right is clunky as hell. You can't smoothly rock your thumb back and forth like with a real d-pad. :(

I've noticed Playstation or whoever does their tweets seems to be pretty good with Nintendo, maybe it helps they realize that Nintendo isn't so much the competition in a sense.
Sony is just buddying up so that they can be first in line for Nintendo titles when they go third party. PS 5/6.

SHarris78

Been playing the last 90 mins or so, cracking bit of kit.

Fast RMX was great using a pro controller and tv, when I changed to handheld mode found it a little awkward, something I'll get used to soon enough I expect.

Shovel Knight is awesome in handheld mode, I know it's been out on other portable devices, but the size of the screen together with the physical buttons make this essential.

Also bought Voez as I'm a music game fan. Lots of contact and easy to play, for now at least.

Gonna try Zelda next but the excitement leading to today has tired me out so I may wait until tomorrow!

sanstesy

The Joy-Cons feel fucking GREAT when split in your hands!!!!

That's all I've wanted.

Otherwise, flawless start-up for me and right into Zelda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom