• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna set this up when I get home tonight. If I purchase Zelda on the eshop and load it onto the supplied mem card and start playing, but later switch to a bigger memory card w ill it be easy/possible to transfer the game and the save?

vgamer1

Gonna set this up when I get home tonight. If I purchase Zelda on the eshop and load it onto the supplied mem card and start playing, but later switch to a bigger memory card w ill it be easy/possible to transfer the game and the save?

There is no memory card supplied. And the save is on the console, not the sd card, and currently no save transfer functionality.

Just got to try one briefly via a coworker. Really not sure what to make of it. It's pretty unwieldy as a portable system, absurdly wide by handheld standards. The "joycon" (hate this name) inputs are certainly more suitable for classic gaming than any previous handheld, but way below any console gamepad. The bumpers/triggers are especially bad. Nintendo really should include the Pro controller in the box. And I just don't see 2 player gaming with the joycons working at all. neither one is at all comfortable in landscape orientation and the right one is straight up lousy.

Unifying Nintendo's production down to one piece of hardware is the big win here imo. If not for the prospect of getting the sum total of Nintendo's DS+Wii (all incarnations) output on one system, I'd be really down on it.

I'm interested to see how most owners end up using the Switch. It seems best to me played in the portable layout, but more likely at home than on the bus. The Switch would be more coherent as a 2017 3DS/Vita with an HDMI out than a bona-fide "hybrid" system. I feel like they're trying to facilitate every possible play style and making too many compromises in each.

So, while playing Zelda docked, my Switch gets hot. Like, really hot, and as soon as I take it I can hear the vent blowing like hell, then it stops after seconds.
Is this normal?
Oh and wi fi sucks.

nikos

So my girlfriend came home and our conversation went something like this:

GF: Which game is this?
-Zelda
GF: Why does it look like that?
-Like what?
GF: It's blurry. It doesn't look like any of the other games you play.
-Well, it's running at 900p and being upscaled to 4K.
GF: That game the other night looked a lot cleaner. (Horizon).

Even non-gamers are noticing hardware limitations now. She has never complained about a game looking bad, not even when we'd play Wii U. I guess I wasn't overreacting when I thought to myself how bad Zelda's IQ is.

We did have fun playing Snipperclips and 1, 2 Switch though.

-Zelda
-Like what?

Even non-gamers are noticing hardware limitations now. She has never complained about a game looking bad, not even when we'd play Wii U. I guess I wasn't overreacting when I thought to myself how bad Zelda's IQ is.

Yeah, Zelda has a really pleasing art style, but on the tablet screen, it's noticeably grainy. Somewhere between like Uncharted Golden Abyss and Skyrim on medium settings if that's anything to go by. I didn't get to see it on a TV.

Red

Anyone else unable to sign into NNID? Won't take my credentials. Tested them on my PC and they are working fine.

PMS341

So... my Switch dock is not responding. Everything is plugged in properly, tried two different HDMI/AC ports, nothing. When I set the Switch in the dock, it never really "clicks", and it doesn't do anything with my TV. Am I doing something horribly wrong, or is my dock/adapter screwed?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Is the kickstand supposed to "snap" into place or does it just sort of...tighten up when extended? I feel like I'm about to break the thing off trying to get a "snap".

The joycon wrist straps are a pain to get unclipped, especially when playing a game!! (1-2 switch asks you to remove them then put them on).

OH. MY. GOD.

I put the joy-con strap on backwards and now it's absolutely deadlocked in there. Apparently this isn't just me because there were some articles I just read about it too.

What. In. The. Hell. It's absolutely deadlocked. I cannot get this thing off. I'm terrified of breaking the damn thing at this point.

I feel bad as fuck for any poor kid or family member who suffers this fate, because there's no way in hell a kid could undo this nightmare.

Someone for the love of god tell me some way to get this off that doesn't involve a sledgehammer.

Raven117

-Zelda
-Like what?

I mean....Yeah...

The question is whether it takes away from the experience or not.

DjRalford

Anyone else unable to sign into NNID? Won't take my credentials. Tested them on my PC and they are working fine.

I didnt use my NNID to log into the switch but the normal nintendo account, have you made a nintento account and linked the NNID to it?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
rdkZlB0.png

Translation:
"My expectations have been ruined

The cartridges taste bad :'( I've come to expect better from Nintendo. I remember how delicious Ocarina of Time was back then"

Kintaco

Anyone else having sound issues when docked? Been playing Zelda and after a few minutes the sound good out. I can get it back by switching inputs or by going into the sound menu and changing the sound to mono and back to stereo.

Also been having connection issues with the Joy Cons.

OH. MY. GOD.

I put the joy-con strap on backwards and now it's absolutely deadlocked in there. Apparently this isn't just me because there were some articles I just read about it too.

What. In. The. Hell. It's absolutely deadlocked. I cannot get this thing off. I'm terrified of breaking the damn thing at this point.

I feel bad as fuck for any poor kid or family member who suffers this fate, because there's no way in hell a kid could undo this nightmare.

Someone for the love of god tell me some way to get this off that doesn't involve a sledgehammer.

I seriously just had to fucking press it off in the direction I put it on.

It was the first thing I did out of the box. Felt like a jackass.

Barryman

Got my Switch this morning! I imagine myself using handheld mode quite a bit but I wanted to start off in TV mode to train my brain into thinking f it as a home console so I can be BLOWN AWAY whenever I use it in handheld mode :)

One weird thing is that my right joycon had no battery power when I got it, so I had to charge it a little before I was able to use it in TV mode. I got what felt like an hour's use out of charging it for 5 minutes, not bad. Still, it's kind of weird to feel like I can't use it in TV mode because the joycon aren't charged. Hopefully this will just be a one-off situation once I fully charge them.

OH. MY. GOD.

It took 10 mins of fiddling while holding the release button, followed by an ungodly snap that sent a cold shiver through my body.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I mean....Yeah...

The question is whether it takes away from the experience or not.

It certainly doesn't add to the experience that's for sure.

Chittagong

Gold Member
OH. MY. GOD.

Haha, I did this. Hold the release button and slide it up and down, I managed eventually to unlock it

OH. MY. GOD.

imo they shouldn't detach at all. the practical uses of detaching them don't make up for the general awkwardness and confusion it brings. Nintendo should've drawn a hard line against motion controls, packed in the Pro controller, and made the Switch one self-contained unit.

Switch launch night pic, felt like the first time I got my SNES in the '90s:

hZIR7iG.jpg

I couldn't figure out where I could put it on my already crowded entertainment shelf so I ended up putting it on one of my game shelves next to my TV, fits like a charm and looks so nice. My shmup gashapon and Mother 2 figures will surely will 2D shooters and Mother 3 localization into existence ;)

jljUkp0.jpg

Malus

Still no Switch but I just got Zelda in the mail. Such a tiny box, I love how the spine + logo looks like a flagpole.

Flipside

Really enjoying the system so far. Zelda is great and downloading Snipperclips as we speak.

I did have trouble attaching the screen protector that came with the official carrying case. I really took my time cleaning the screen but somehow a few small dust particles did get stuck between the screen and the overlay. I might get a new protector in the future but this will do for now. Never been a real fan of screen protectors though.

I got my Switch and it's neat. Still waiting on my games though.

It is way too hard to remove the straps BTW. Weird considering the grip and controller don't have this issue.

edit: sure enough, I go to try again and now I have no issues. OK

Really enjoying the system so far. Zelda is great and downloading Snipperclips as we speak.

I did have trouble attaching the screen protector that came with the official carrying case. I really took my time cleaning the screen but somehow a few small dust particles did get stuck between the screen and the overlay. I might get a new protector in the future but this will do for now. Never been a real fan of screen protectors though.

Is Snipperclips purely a multiplayer/couch co-op thing?

How do we turn the screen of without turning the system off so you can download on background ? I hit the power button once but when I turned the screen in, it said it had lost internet connection

Eggiem

Yeah, its quite difficult to apply. :(

Don't plan to buy a Switch yet, not until at least Fall or when I find some good sales, but how are the black borders when playing? Not noticable or a little bit distracting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom