• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Got my replacement switch and am about to start Zelda. All is right with the world.

Also guys buy Fast RMX. It's amazing

NoeinJ

Neo Member
I have to say that I am loving switch. Feels well made, haven't had any problems. UI is simple and snappy. JoyCons are mostly good only problem is that there isn't dpad. Otherwise I like playing with these.

Zelda is awesome. Played about 4 hours today, just got glider and started adventuring the world. Framefrate dropping is annoyance but not game breaking.

leng jai

Playing Zelda in portable mode definitely has that feeling of it being something from the future. Similar to the first time I booted up my PSP in 2005.

So if I send in my Switch for repairs I will lose my save files right due to no backup tool? Wonder if I should just continue playing Zelda without a working sd card slot or just do it now and be Switchless for a few weeks. Ugh..

Yeah currently debating what to do about this also. If not for that irritating oversight I'd be comfortable just exchanging it whenever they're back in stock, but the thought of losing dozens of hours on a Zelda save... puke

tsumineko

Not sure who this applies to, but thought I would mention it.

The Nintendo Switch charger will charge a new USB-C MacBook Pro at the full 39watts :D

So happy about that!

MildSoss

So what TV settings are you guys using for when the Switch is docked? Should i be using full RGB range, Automatic Resolution, etc?

zeioIIDX

What a launch day story.

Synopsis is, don't ruin surprises.

I stayed up Switch night, even though I had reservations about the system and I still do, and I preordered a system (Grey) along with the Zelda LE. I really wanted the Neon and the Master Edition, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo with the Master edition.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my car breaks down, turbo is shot, it's ok we've been saving, I buy a new car. She tells me, "You can't keep that Switch preorder, sell it on your NeoGaf thing you do and we'll have to pick one up later". I'm heartbroken, even though I have issues with the launch/system, I want Zelda. Bad. I listed it, two Gaffers jump on Zelda and my Grey Switch. </3

Today, I'm sort of bummed and feel like I'm missing the Zeitgeist of Zelda, but keep reassuring my OCD brain. They'll still have systems later, plus I 'Really wanted the Neon one', is what I'm telling myself.

I just got home about 30 minutes ago and what's on the kitchen counter when I walk in? The Neon Nintendo Switch, 2 Pro controllers and the Zelda Master Edition. I'm not afraid to admit, I got completely teary-eyed. Super duper nerdy, but it's genearlly really hard to surprise me and this surprised the hell out of me.

Little did I know, my wife, at the same exact time I was preordering the system/zelda, was on her phone preordering the Neon and Zelda Master edition. She wanted to surprise me and when I told her the next morning I had preordered the system she asked "Are you really sure you want it? I mean you know how launch consoles are, you should probably wait". I'm stubborn, didn't listen and just kept the preorder.

I'm a 34 year old man, that got teary about Zelda and a surprise, today is a good day.

Stuff like that is one of the things that makes me miss being married or having a girlfriend. I used to surprise my exes with stuff all the time. Rarely did they ever do the same for me but when they did, it totally caught me off guard and made me a bit emotional on the inside. What can I say? I'm a sentimental guy. That was really sweet of your wife to do that for you. And she got you two Pro controllers? You know what they say: a couple who plays together stays together lol.

Nesther

Yeah currently debating what to do about this also. If not for that irritating oversight I'd be comfortable just exchanging it whenever they're back in stock, but the thought of losing dozens of hours on a Zelda save... puke

Oh your sd card reader is borked too? Is this somewhat common or are we just the few unlucky ones? Really dampening my hype right now, barely feel like playing Zelda at all.

peakish

Fucking god damn Shovel Knight. I'm remembering how this is the only game which truly pisses me off when some god damn slime pushes me into a pit and the game almost laughs at me for being an idiot.

/rant

Grinchy

Banned
Zelda is awesome and Snipper Clips has been very fun for some couch co-op. I hope Snipper Clips continues to get more difficult and I hope it has a lot of content.

We're going to play some Bomberman in a bit. I really just wanna play Zelda haha

Oh your sd card reader is borked too? Is this somewhat common or are we just the few unlucky ones? Really dampening my hype right now, barely feel like playing Zelda at all.

Nope it has a completely dead touchscreen, and can't find anyone else posting about that issue yet. It isn't killing any functionality I need right now since I only have Zelda so I'm waffling over whether to start.

Pokemaniac

So, I haven't had a chance to read through the rest of this thread yet, but has anyone been able to successfully import a Mii from an amiibo? My Switch seems to think none of my amiibos have data on them.

Reposting because it's been a few pages and there's been no answer...

Kyuur

Contacted Nintendo about my malfunctioning L-joycon analog stick from it falling. They asked me to send it in for repairs! Not sure if they'll look inside and go "oh, this is busted, you have to pay for it" but I was candid with them about it and the rep didn't say anything about a charge! I'll be happy as long as I get a working neon blue leftie back.

DjRalford

Nope it has a completely dead touchscreen, and can't find anyone else posting about that issue yet. It isn't killing any functionality I need right now since I only have Zelda so I'm waffling over whether to start.

i wouldnt start on borked hardware, especially with the saves being tied to the console, you'll never get that playtime back on a replacement.

i feel quite overwhelmed with the switch launch...

there are so many things i want on that gorgeous screen.

Fast, Voez, Snipper Clips, Disgea, Setsuna, Bomberman, 1,2 Switch, Zelda arrrghh

ktroopa

Small tip i just found, with the console docked hitting ZL+ZR on the home screen will pop up the current % of battery on the console in the top right. Works on the pro and joycons.

Persona7

Banned
Contacted Nintendo about my malfunctioning L-joycon analog stick from it falling. They asked me to send it in for repairs! Not sure if they'll look inside and go "oh, this is busted, you have to pay for it" but I was candid with them about it and the rep didn't say anything about a charge! I'll be happy as long as I get a working neon blue leftie back.
Do you know how long this takes? Debating on refunding through Amazon or sending it in.

Zelda is nowhere to be seen so I'm messing around on the Dragon Quest Heroes demo. Performance is shocking. I hope this doesn't set a precedent for third party console ports.

Stopdoor

So, are Joy-Con wrist straps a struggle to remove for anyone? They seem exceptionally tight on there, unlike taking them off the console or grip.

Oregano

So just testing some stuff out.

I decided to test my Joycons and it took me standing about 8 foot away with an (open) doorway and the Joycon behind my back to lose signal. That was the left one too. It won't be a problem for me in normal use.

My speakers have an audible buzz under the sound but my headphones sound fine. Wonder why that is?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ok, I guess I messed up my joycons by putting on the wrist straps on incorrectly or something.

I cannot remove them at all.
UGH

Chopini

Neo Member
Everything arrived. Extra Switch for a friend. Keeping Master Edition unopened for now. Zelda is amazing, been playing for the last 3 hours. What a gem.

I like the official Nintendo case better than the Hori tough one. The Nintendo case is just right... the smallest of the ones I have seen, the most sleek. The Hori one will go to my friend.

How is the Hori one compare to official? I just got the official case but I feel like I need more protection since I usually throw all my stuff into a backpack. Still deciding to get Hori one instead.

Is there a way to move games to the sd card? I popped it in after they had downloaded and I must be missing something

Do I have to select a location when the download starts?

No Love

Banned
Am I the only one sitting here with an unopened Switch? Just wondering if it's worth what I shelled out or if I should just buy a 1080Ti instead.

It's really cool taking the system out of the dock and carrying it around. It's just weird to think that I have this console-quality Zelda game in the palm of my hand.

Am I the only one sitting here with an unopened Switch? Just wondering if it's worth what I shelled out or if I should just buy a 1080Ti instead.

The Switch is great outside of a few minor gripes I have. If a new GPU isn't a huge priority I say stick with it. Zelda is one hell of a game and might be my favorite game ever by the end of it. The reviews were definitely not wrong.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Late to the thread. Why did you need a replacement?
I got a defective unit that wouldn't read game cartridges. Played some digital titles in the meantime while my Gamestop hunted down a replacement neon for me. I'm quite pleased by how quickly it all got resolved though, so props to them.

But yeah, Shovel Knight and Fast are solid

tommyguns

What malfunctioning? The disconnecting issues or did your drop cause something else? I dropped my left joy con on my carpeted floor last night and so far I haven't noticed any issue.

P90

My initial set up went flawless. Linking my Nintendo account was a breeze. No problems with controls. Nothing put goodness.

What an amazing machine! Take the luxury of the iPad and put it into a Nintendo device, that is the Switch. I have not been really impressed by gaming machines in quite a while. The Switch is all that and Fort Knox.

I see the Switch as, far and way, the ultimate handheld gaming device. I don't know how much I will be using it connected to the TV because that doesn't matter. Bold prediction: the Switch will redefine mobile gaming for the next five years and will disrupt the iOS/Android marketplace. Sony and MS will continue to battle for the TV set. Nintendo will be the dominate force in mobile/handheld gaming.

Tonidayo

Guys haven't been following about accessories much lately, so what's SD card should I buy, what protective cover other than the Zelda one in special edition?

Javier

After setting it up, updating, and playing Zelda for a while, I have to say that the Switch is the most adorable console ever.

It's so small!

Wallach

Whew, that Pro controller is wonderfully built. Great ergonomics too. Not sure if I would rate it above an Elite controller but it's damn close.

Waterdrop

It's HERE!

17103728_10158210783395456_6107122556041751938_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom