• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

weepy

I'm having trouble linking my NN account to my Switch. I have $88 on my WiiU but I can't transfer my funds (or if I did) it says zero on the Switch. Any help???

DjRalford

What a launch day story.

Synopsis is, don't ruin surprises.

I stayed up Switch night, even though I had reservations about the system and I still do, and I preordered a system (Grey) along with the Zelda LE. I really wanted the Neon and the Master Edition, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo with the Master edition.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my car breaks down, turbo is shot, it's ok we've been saving, I buy a new car. She tells me, "You can't keep that Switch preorder, sell it on your NeoGaf thing you do and we'll have to pick one up later". I'm heartbroken, even though I have issues with the launch/system, I want Zelda. Bad. I listed it, two Gaffers jump on Zelda and my Grey Switch. </3

Today, I'm sort of bummed and feel like I'm missing the Zeitgeist of Zelda, but keep reassuring my OCD brain. They'll still have systems later, plus I 'Really wanted the Neon one', is what I'm telling myself.

I just got home about 30 minutes ago and what's on the kitchen counter when I walk in? The Neon Nintendo Switch, 2 Pro controllers and the Zelda Master Edition. I'm not afraid to admit, I got completely teary-eyed. Super duper nerdy, but it's genearlly really hard to surprise me and this surprised the hell out of me.

Little did I know, my wife, at the same exact time I was preordering the system/zelda, was on her phone preordering the Neon and Zelda Master edition. She wanted to surprise me and when I told her the next morning I had preordered the system she asked "Are you really sure you want it? I mean you know how launch consoles are, you should probably wait". I'm stubborn, didn't listen and just kept the preorder.

I'm a 34 year old man, that got teary about Zelda and a surprise, today is a good day.

You got a keeper!

Realeza

Banned
I love the look and feel of the console in your hands. The only thing I'm extremely worried about is scratching the screen (my protector hasn't arrived yet).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I've got 3x cases currently for my Switch:

Official Case
HORI Tough Pouch
Zelda Sheikah Slate

And I've got the RDS case coming.

So far, I'm loving the official case. It's slim, but still feels protective enough. Might take one of the others with me on trips though for easy ability to store more stuff in them.

(Reason I have so many is I'm doing a comparison video of them for work.)

How is the official Vs hori for thickness and overall size? Got the hori but it isn't that hard on the outside so maybe the official would be a good option if it's thinner (needs to go in my backpack for commuting)

DjRalford

I'm having trouble linking my NN account to my Switch. I have $88 on my WiiU but I can't transfer my funds (or if I did) it says zero on the Switch. Any help???

Log into Nintendo, goto settings, eshop, and select the option to combine your wallets into 1.

deoee

What a launch day story.

I stayed up Switch night, even though I had reservations about the system and I still do, and I preordered a system (Grey) along with the Zelda LE. I really wanted the Neon and the Master Edition, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo with the Master edition.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my car breaks down, turbo is shot, it's ok we've been saving, I buy a new car. She tells me, "You can't keep that Switch preorder, sell it on your NeoGaf thing you do and we'll have to pick one up later". I'm heartbroken, even though I have issues with the launch/system, I want Zelda. Bad. I listed it, two Gaffers jump on Zelda and my Grey Switch. </3

Today, I'm sort of bummed and feel like I'm missing the Zeitgeist of Zelda, but keep reassuring my OCD brain. They'll still have systems later, plus I 'Really wanted the Neon one', is what I'm telling myself.

I just got home about 30 minutes ago and what's on the kitchen counter when I walk in? The Neon Nintendo Switch, 2 Pro controllers and the Zelda Master Edition. I'm not afraid to admit, I got completely teary-eyed. Super duper nerdy, but it's genearlly really hard to surprise me and this surprised the hell out of me.

Little did I know, my wife, at the same exact time I was preordering the system/zelda, was on her phone preordering the Neon and Zelda Master edition. She wanted to surprise me and when I told her the next morning I had preordered the system she asked "Are you really sure you want it? I mean you know how launch consoles are, you should probably wait". I'm stubborn, didn't listen and just kept the preorder.

I'm a 34 year old man, that got teary about Zelda and a surprise, today is a good day.

Awww that's so sweet

Is there a video of you crying on YT? :p

Alright... the nightmare's over. The strap is off.

God damn, that was the most frustrating thing I've experienced in 2017 so far. Reverse joy con straps are no fucking joke.

I will now be extremely paranoid for the rest of my life when I put these things on.

ekim

What a launch day story.

Awesome. :)

What a launch day story.

This warmed my heart after my joy con debacle. Good for you buddy.

Anyone have any advice on screen protectors? I usually get a bubble or two on every device I put them on from a spec of dust, and I despise putting them on.

This time, I bought the "official" one, and picked up a new canned air. I put on lint-free gloves I use to handle vinyl, and immediately applied it out of the box with help from my girlfriend, leaving as little exposure as possible, slowly applying it while hitting the screen with air every few seconds.

Well, it still looks like shit towards the side I finished applying it on. There's three visible bubbles, and somehow a miniscule string or something that I assumed was clinging to the protection film while putting it on.

I'd like to try it again, but I'm afraid it'll look worse the second time around. I'd honestly be willing to pay a decent chunk of money for someone capable to put it on.

Is there something wrong with me? Is there some trick I'm missing out on? Fuck

Alright... the nightmare's over. The strap is off.

God damn, that was the most frustrating thing I've experienced in 2017 so far. Reverse joy con straps are no fucking joke.

I will now be extremely paranoid for the rest of my life when I put these things on.

Why even bother with them?

GAF! I finally got mine and I fricking love it! Feels so nice in my hands. It's slick and doesn't feel cheap in the slightest. Any anxiety I might've had has completely disappeared.

That said, the joycon straps suck. Even when they don't get stuck, the buttons just dont feel great. But meh, the joycons are never leaving the tablet anyway.

vUfpk13.jpg

Everything arrived. Extra Switch for a friend. Keeping Master Edition unopened for now. Zelda is amazing, been playing for the last 3 hours. What a gem.

I like the official Nintendo case better than the Hori tough one. The Nintendo case is just right... the smallest of the ones I have seen, the most sleek. The Hori one will go to my friend.

schlew

Anyone having trouble with online functions (can't access eShop, Zelda update is Malegaon slow)? Everything is just super slow for me despite it all working fine early afternoon.

I was upset to find out I cannot use a portable amp on the Switch. Whenever I plug in the 3.5 aux cable from the amp to the Switch, it recognizes it then mutes it. I increase the sound and it's outputting from the Switch itself. Sigh.

Defect

Finally got the wrist strap off!

Now to go back to Zelda and never put those putrid things on my joycons ever again.

Anyone having trouble with online functions (can't access eShop, Zelda update is Malegaon slow)? Everything is just super slow for me despite it all working fine early afternoon.

Yeah, I downloaded three games pretty quickly earlier today, but my Zelda update seems to be taking forever

Phatmac

Thanks fam. I got the battery percentage to show. The Joycon grip feels way better than I thought it would. May not need a pro controller after all.

Peltz

What a launch day story.

CynicalBastard
(Today, 05:06 PM)

Should probably change your username. Heartwarming story.

Suspect it's day 1 traffic with everyone trying to update. Least that's what I'm hoping as everything was lighting fast for me earlier

Just got my Switch today I was bitching and moaning couldn't find one since I didn't pre order lol anyways now we here !, Anyways was wondering what kind of power bank and cable you guys use for on the go gaming doubt I'll use docked mode much I ruined the protection cover that came with the case LOL

Neoweee

Ugggg, it can't see my wireless router.

Any suggestions? It is an old Linksys that my phone and laptop can connect to fine. My can't my Switch see it?

What is the difference between Network Name and SSID?

And Amazon fucked up, no Zelda =( Gamestop got me the system fine, but a dipshit little game can't get delivered on time.

You got a keeper!

Awww that's so sweet

Is there a video of you crying on YT? :p
Thanks and no, I actually immediately looked around and said "Please tell me you're not recording this". There are no record of said tears.

This warmed my heart after my joy con debacle. Good for you buddy.

CynicalBastard
(Today, 05:06 PM)

Should probably change your username. Heartwarming story.
I actually hate my name, the joke is that I'm completely not a Cynical Bastard. My friends always tease me that "You always find some way to make it a positive, you need to be a cynical bastard more often". I wish there was a way to change my name. Thanks!

mclem

Liking Zelda, but thought it's about time to take a break - so, are there any eShop demos out there that have a particularly good showcase of HD Rumble? I'd like to try it out.

Just downloaded Snipperclips for now, will check other eShops later, but do have to flag up: "Sucessfully Downloaded"? Tsk.

DjRalford

Anyone have any advice on screen protectors? I usually get a bubble or two on every device I put them on from a spec of dust, and I despise putting them on.

This time, I bought the "official" one, and picked up a new canned air. I put on lint-free gloves I use to handle vinyl, and immediately applied it out of the box with help from my girlfriend, leaving as little exposure as possible, slowly applying it while hitting the screen with air every few seconds.

Well, it still looks like shit towards the side I finished applying it on. There's three visible bubbles, and somehow a miniscule string or something that I assumed was clinging to the protection film while putting it on.

I'd like to try it again, but I'm afraid it'll look worse the second time around. I'd honestly be willing to pay a decent chunk of money for someone capable to put it on.

Is there something wrong with me? Is there some trick I'm missing out on? Fuck

I just used the enclosed tape to clear it all of debris and then quickly laid the protector on, think my daughter ended up with a tiny tiny spec on the outer edge that we couldn't squeeze out, and i don't want to risk peeling back off slightly as its barely noticable, but the rest of it is nice and clear.

Thanks and no, I actually immediately looked around and said "Please tell me you're not recording this". There are no record of said tears.

I actually hate my name, the joke is that I'm completely not a Cynical Bastard. My friends always tease me that "You always find some way to make it a positive, you need to be a cynical bastard more often". I wish there was a way to change my name. Thanks!

PM a mod, they'll sort you out

yyr

The system is trying to do too much, and it hamstrings ability for there to be revisions.

What could they actually add with revisions?

Honestly I feel like they could make a more portable mini version with permanently-attached controllers and a smaller screen, and sell it for a lower price. But I feel like that would only happen as a reaction to poor sales. If this model sells well, there's no need for a knee-jerk redesign.

Other than that, maybe just a better kickstand and improvements to the battery as they become possible?

AEREC

What a launch day story.

Sounds like your wife wanted to watch you suffer :p

Neoweee

Ugggg, it can't see my wireless router.

Any suggestions? It is an old Linksys that my phone and laptop can connect to fine. My can't my Switch see it?

What is the difference between Network Name and SSID?

Any advice on this? Every other device I own (except my PS4 Pro) can see my router just fine. Are there some settings that work better with Switch? Channel? B/G?

EDIT: Got it. Had to change my security.

Nesther

So if I send in my Switch for repairs I will lose my save files right due to no backup tool? Wonder if I should just continue playing Zelda without a working sd card slot or just do it now and be Switchless for a few weeks. Ugh..

I only have two very minor gripes with the system so far: nowhere to put a wrist strap when the joy cons are attached, and the headphone jack being on top instead of the bottom.

Normally I wouldn't care about a wrist strap but it's so large for a handheld I wish there was somewhere to loop one on.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Happy with it so far after ending up buying one at Fry's after canceling my Best Buy preorder a couple of weeks back. Hype got to me, and wanted the best version of Zelda!

Pro controllers were sold out there and the Best Buy I grabbed Zelda from with GCU, just using the JoyCons and grip for now. They seem fine, I'll probably hold off for a bit on the Pro controller and get one when I need a d-pad for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom