• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried KoF '98 with a Pro controller? I'm finding the initial menu pretty tough to control, the selection jumps around a bit. I did a recalibration, which helped, but it's still not 100%, Specter Knight seems fine so I'm wondering if it's an issue with the controller or just an overly sensitive menu?

May already be answered but all the switch threads are enormous.....

Does the switch come full charged outta the box? I pick it up in an hour and then I have an hour bus ride.😕

Chorazin

Got the Hori Screen Protector, looks like it was cut small and the edges aren't sticking properly, and it was applied correctly. I've always heard great things about Hori, so this is disappointing. Luckily Amazon will replace it, so it should keep the screen safe until Amazon gets more and sends me one.

Does the switch come full charged outta the box? I pick it up in an hour and then I have an hour bus ride.��

Mine was at around 75% I think. Same with the Pro Controller.

Yeah it seems like it can move back a tiny bit but the left one doesnt budge

My exact experience. I just have to be careful not to hold it from the left Joycon with one hand and put too much weight on it I guess. I like to be extra careful.

Wallach

Everything set up and updated. Just put it back into sleep mode so everything can charge up before I crack out on Zelda.

My BotW amiibos should also be getting here this evening. Excited to get started.

Have to say, on TV the IQ of BotW is pretty wack. Love the Pro controller but I wonder how much I'll use it if stuff looks like that when docked. Looks so much better on the Switch's own screen.

Skeletos311

I want a way to turn off the user picking prompt from the start of everything except the eShop. I only have 2 accounts so I can download stuff from the other eShops.

DjRalford

Does the switch come full charged outta the box? I pick it up in an hour and then I have an hour bus ride.��

My daughters came with about 45% battery power.

It's a sign in option in the e shop.

I believe they're expecting everyone to link their NNID to their MyNintendo account, then you log in with your username and password for the mynintendo account.

mjc

Weird, has anyone gotten an eShop balance to show up from their 3DS on the Switch store? I thought they were gonna have a united front with that now. I had $20 on the 3DS shop I never used..

espher

Man, the news about the skin adhesives is a killer. I was looking forward to that Zelda skin for the console itself.

Ended up ordering the Orzly tempered glass screen protector since the PDP one is apparently also jank - anyone here have one and able to give feedback?

Weird, has anyone gotten an eShop balance to show up from their 3DS on the Switch store? I thought they were gonna have a united front with that now. I had $20 on the 3DS shop I never used..

Yeah my 3ds and wiiu balance didn't carry over. I thought it was going to be the same?

Lucifon

Have to say, on TV the IQ of BotW is pretty wack. Love the Pro controller but I wonder how much I'll use it if stuff looks like that when docked. Looks so much better on the Switch's own screen.

The Switch's home UI is abit muddy on a TV too but looks great on its own screen. Even the tiles don't look right but they look super sharp on the switch screen...

DjRalford

Man, the news about the skin adhesives is a killer. I was looking forward to that Zelda skin for the console itself.

Ended up ordering the Orzly tempered glass screen protector since the PDP one is apparently also jank - anyone here have one and able to give feedback?

Not as killer as the acknowledgment of the left joycon issues, and telling people to not use it near other wireless devices.

You just knew they were waiting until they were out the door to put out a statement.

The Switch's home UI is abit muddy on a TV too but looks great on its own screen. Even the tiles don't look right but they look super sharp on the switch screen...

I actually thought the image was pretty good seeing as its being upscaled to 4k.

Red

I believe they're expecting everyone to link their NNID to their MyNintendo account, then you log in with your username and password for the mynintendo account.
That could be, but NNID is listed separately as a sign in option on the log in screen.

I had to perform the steps you describe to log in, but other options are presented during set up.

So I have both a US and a Japanese account set up on here now (picked up Metal Slug because I can never not pick up Metal Slug). The eShop will prompt me for a profile when I open it, but it looks like my News button is always defaulting to Japanese now. Am I missing a way to get this back to the US one?

Edit: Actually, it looks like it's mixing Japanese and English now? I guess maybe the News page doesn't update all at once, or something

Ninja Dom

Has anyone tried KoF '98 with a Pro controller? I'm finding the initial menu pretty tough to control, the selection jumps around a bit. I did a recalibration, which helped, but it's still not 100%, Specter Knight seems fine so I'm wondering if it's an issue with the controller or just an overly sensitive menu?

I bought KOF 98 and the Pro Controller but haven't tried it yet. Will try in a couple of hours and let you know.

I downloaded Zelda from the eShop and it started to download. It lost WiFi connection (sigh) and now the game is completely gone from my home page. On the eShop it says Purchased though.

Anyone have any ideas or experience this?

Edit: Never mind, figured it out. You have to go to the eShop settings under your User settings and click redownload.

KSweeley

Can anyone explain Nintendo's logic/reasoning behind not including any games with the Switch itself such as 1-2 Switch? Why is 1-2 Switch being sold at full retail cost instead of it being bundled?

DjRalford

Can anyone explain Nintendo's logic/reasoning behind not including any games with the Switch itself such as 1-2 Switch? Why is 1-2 Switch being sold at full retail cost instead of it being bundled?

Because they know people will buy it because there are not that many games, thankfully with my 10% discount it works out i got 1-2 switch for free.

Nesther

Oh btw, I can confirm that the My Nintendo gold coin rewards are region free. Got 12 coins for my EU Zelda, using my US account.

Skyzard

Banned

I think it sets a little too low of a standard tbh. Multiplayer indies would do a better job selling this off.

espher

Not as killer as the acknowledgment of the left joycon issues, and telling people to not use it near other wireless devices.

You just knew they were waiting until they were out the door to put out a statement.

It is a killer, but I knew that ahead of launch and went back and forth before deciding I could live with it. I would eventually be buying a second set (hopefully once the issue was sorted out) so it wasn't the end of the world for me but definitely a big deal.

No skins, though... I like my stupid cosmetics. ;)

Now that I've put in 3+ hours of Zelda I can say with confidence that I absolutely hate using any configuration of the tiny Joy-Cons. I would love using the split controls but my hands are too big making it extremely awkward and uncomfortable to control. Thankfully I was able to snag a Pro controller from Amazon(US) just a bit ago.

Its baffling to me too. Did they forget what Wii Sports did for the Wii? It might cost more now but the benefits in the long term could pay bigly 😁

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am absolutely loving this little device. Feels like Nintendo got everything right in terms of form factor, interface, freedom in how you want to play it. It's kind of magical to just be able to dock it and have it immediately appear on your TV.

Javier

To all of you having trouble with the Joycon straps, have you noticed there's a lock that needs to be unlocked before removing them from the Joycon controller? It took me a while to notice it was there.

Boke1879

Straight up yall. After messing around with this thing. I don't care what Nintendo has said. This is going to replace the 3DS

Well I just had a pretty embarrassing and a little terrifying ordeal. Without thinking, I put the wrist strap extension on a joycon without realizing there are specific ones for each joycon. It slid into place pretty easily but wasn't aligned correctly. It took a couple of seconds to recognize my mistake and it took forever to try to get it off. I was panicking I thought I was going to have to rip it off with force and potentially break something, but eventually after playing around with the lock and wiggling it around I was able to get it off. Whew.

It's kind of a design flaw that they can so easily be put on the wrong joycon, without any sense of pushback indicating you're doing it wrong. It's also pretty easy to miss the + and - symbols on the extensions, especially when you're all excited and just want to start playing the system. Nintendo should have put big bold letters on the little extension packages saying "For the left/right joycon only".

I can see this being an issue for many people, especially kids and stuff.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just had my first hours of play with Zelda. Loving the pro controller, best way to play. Taking the system out of the dock and continuing somewhere else in the house feels pretty good. It's really a more fully realized version of what the WiiU was supposed to be. Game looks stunning in portable mode, it's really something else when you switch over for the first time. Menus are very snappy and fast, it's just a neat system all around.

One thing I don't like that much is that you can't turn it off completely, it has to be in sleep mode. On the other hand, games suspend/resume in that state and that's pretty cool.

Also noticed the muddy homescreen right away on tv. That's definitely not 1080p, has to be 720. Just realized I had my setting to automatic, maybe I'll try selecting 1080p.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bet we see a bundle for the holidays.

They know that the kind of people looking to buy a console in March are interested in playing Zelda primarily, and will most likely happily pay full price for the console.

Velkyn

So...Am I in the minority in liking the Switch and thinking it's going to do better than the Wii U?

Everywhere I look people are acting like it's already dead and buried and it's honestly stressing me out.

Boke1879

So...Am I in the minority in liking the Switch and thinking it's going to do better than the Wii U?

Everywhere I look people are acting like it's already dead and buried and it's honestly stressing me out.

Well doing better than the Wii u doesn't really mean much. I still think this has the same issues unfortunately. Mainly to do with 3rd parties.

one_kill

My left Joy-Con is giving me trouble. It locks in more securely than the right.

Apart from that and some earlier network issues, the Switch is good.

I do want to be able to power down the console completely however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom