• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

//ARCANUM

So I've got 3x cases currently for my Switch:

Official Case
HORI Tough Pouch
Zelda Sheikah Slate

And I've got the RDS case coming.

So far, I'm loving the official case. It's slim, but still feels protective enough. Might take one of the others with me on trips though for easy ability to store more stuff in them.

(Reason I have so many is I'm doing a comparison video of them for work.)

Felensis

Banned
So far I'm loving my Switch! What a great job Nintendo has done with this system. The OS is awesome. Sleek and fast, easy on adults eyes. Zelda is the holy grail so far and looks crisp as fuck on my 4K Bravia. Not only in terms of resolution, but also textures. Nothing at all is blurry.

Fast RMX, Snipperclips, Bomberman and 1 2 Seitch yet have to be played. The latter three on Sunday with 4-8 people :D

Hardware feels very premium, love it!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just tried the Dragon Quest Heroes demo, and hoo BOY is the framerate atrocious. Makes me worry about the fiuture of the system, actually, if this is what we're seeing now.

ncslamm

Is there a way to show battery percentage?

Yeah it's in the settings somewhere. Can't remember off of the top of my head.

I'm about 3 hours into Zelda. I'm absolutely loving this. I've got my dock hooked up to my PC monitor and Zelda looks like ASS on it lol. But I had to give my hands a break and use my Pro controller. So cool to be able to go from one room to the next and then dock it seamlessly to play on a bigger screen. No regrets at all.

Link_enfant

I haven't turned on my Switch yet, but I'm actually wondering if I should fully charge it before first use, or start using it directly until the battery is low before doing a full charge?

Patch13

OH. MY. GOD.
What. In. The. Hell. It's absolutely deadlocked. I cannot get this thing off. I'm terrified of breaking the damn thing at this point.

Someone for the love of god tell me some way to get this off that doesn't involve a sledgehammer.

I did that, too! I just kind of carefully but firmly jiggered them with the release button held down until I could get them apart. It might help to make sure that the little white lock tab is pulled out.

I'm losing my mind. It's been like forty minutes now. I can't get this off. AHGHGHG.

I fucked up with the wrist strap... It's stuck and I've been trying to get it out for 30 minutes!

This really seems to be a problem... (I had it too). I just brute forced it... several times by now. Someone mentioned the lock where the wrist straps come out. I played around with them without any results... Really strange design choice since detaching from the unit and the controller grip works just fine.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I just tried the Dragon Quest Heroes demo, and hoo BOY is the framerate atrocious. Makes me worry about the fiuture of the system, actually, if this is what we're seeing now.

That strikes me more as shoddy optimization than a problem with the hardware.

Mihos

Gold Member
So far I'm loving my Switch! What a great job Nintendo has done with this system. The OS is awesome. Sleek and fast, easy on adults eyes. Zelda is the holy grail so far and looks crisp as fuck on my 4K Bravia. Not only in terms of resolution, but also textures. Nothing at all is blurry.

Fast RMX, Snipperclips, Bomberman and 1 2 Seitch yet have to be played. The latter three on Sunday with 4-8 people :D

Hardware feels very premium, love it!

Zelda is a good game, but man it is running horrible for me. I just can't see the 'crispness' at all. It is blurry as all hell compared to the other systems hooked up... blurry to the point of wondering if I have a setting wrong or something.

Cranzor

Anyone else notice the Joy-Cons scuffing up the Joy-Con Grip? Not a huge deal but the left one made a scratch in the Grip the first time I put it in. I've put them in and out a few times and the right side of the Grip is fine but the left side is already scuffed up.

PMS341

So... my Switch dock is not responding. Everything is plugged in properly, tried two different HDMI/AC ports, nothing. When I set the Switch in the dock, it never really "clicks", and it doesn't do anything with my TV. Am I doing something horribly wrong, or is my dock/adapter screwed?

Sorry to repost this, but I still can't seem to get any power to my dock. Plugged it into multiple ports as well. Am I really about to go out and buy a $30 adapter for this thing... :/

Has anyone been experiencing a complete lack of functionality on the touchscreen? It isn't taking any input on the UI and Test Input Devices > Test Touch Screen gives zero feedback. Did a quick search of GAF, Twitter, and Reddit and couldn't find anyone else experiencing this. Really weird problem to have, I haven't dropped it or anything and everything else seems to work perfectly. Hope I'm not some tiny minority that got a dud tablet :(

At least Zelda is playable completely without it, I'll be really irritated if I have to exchange/repair though.

SiDCrAzY

I'm loving Zelda and the hardware, this system really does feel like a Vita 2 for me. I loved my Vita and I'm happy Nintendo did this since Sony's not going to come out with another handheld.

shigsy

So, while playing Zelda docked, my Switch gets hot. Like, really hot, and as soon as I take it I can hear the vent blowing like hell, then it stops after seconds.
Is this normal?
Oh and wi fi sucks.

I noticed the same when I undocked the Switch after a long Zelda session. The console didn't feel hot but the vent was blowing relatively hard and then it subsided after about 10-15 seconds.

I have since played it undocked for about 3 hours and the vent/fan was barely doing a thing.

Seems like an excellent cooling system doing a sterling job to me :)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

The port is based on the PS3 version of the game. The Wii U was already as/more powerful as the PS3. The Switch blows both systems out of the water.

So DQH having poor framerate is all down to Square Enix rushing the port out of the gate.

So, for anyone with a 4k TV, I just switched game mode off and Zelda looks WAY better than it did. I don't know enough about all these technologies I so willingly bought without looking into them, but if anyone has other 4k TV suggestions I'm open to it. Game looks vibrant and gorgeous now on my 4k. Before, it was...umm...hard to describe. Something was off.

Mihos

Gold Member
Has anyone been experiencing a complete lack of functionality on the touchscreen? It isn't taking any input on the UI and Test Input Devices > Test Touch Screen gives zero feedback. Did a quick search of GAF, Twitter, and Reddit and couldn't find anyone else experiencing this. Really weird problem to have, I haven't dropped it or anything and everything else seems to work perfectly. Hope I'm not some tiny minority that got a dud tablet :(

At least Zelda is playable completely without it, I'll be really irritated if I have to exchange/repair though.

I gave up on inputting with the touch screen and was just using the controller to type with. Sounds like yours may be worse though if your not getting anything. I was just having to type 3 or 4 times on a letter for it to register

So, for anyone with a 4k TV, I just switched game mode off and Zelda looks WAY better than it did. I don't know enough about all these technologies I so willingly bought without looking into them, but if anyone has other 4k TV suggestions I'm open to it. Game looks vibrant and gorgeous now on my 4k. Before, it was...umm...hard to describe. Something was off.

Game mode always causes the graphics to take a hit. Its the input lag that benefits game mode.

DjRalford

I got my Switch and it's neat. Still waiting on my games though.

It is way too hard to remove the straps BTW. Weird considering the grip and controller don't have this issue.

edit: sure enough, I go to try again and now I have no issues. OK

The straps have a damsel white lock latch by the wrist strap, make sure it's unlocked and they slide off easily

What a launch day story.

Synopsis is, don't ruin surprises.

I stayed up Switch night, even though I had reservations about the system and I still do, and I preordered a system (Grey) along with the Zelda LE. I really wanted the Neon and the Master Edition, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo with the Master edition.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my car breaks down, turbo is shot, it's ok we've been saving, I buy a new car. She tells me, "You can't keep that Switch preorder, sell it on your NeoGaf thing you do and we'll have to pick one up later". I'm heartbroken, even though I have issues with the launch/system, I want Zelda. Bad. I listed it, two Gaffers jump on Zelda and my Grey Switch. </3

Today, I'm sort of bummed and feel like I'm missing the Zeitgeist of Zelda, but keep reassuring my OCD brain. They'll still have systems later, plus I 'Really wanted the Neon one', is what I'm telling myself.

I just got home about 30 minutes ago and what's on the kitchen counter when I walk in? The Neon Nintendo Switch, 2 Pro controllers and the Zelda Master Edition. I'm not afraid to admit, I got completely teary-eyed. Super duper nerdy, but it's genearlly really hard to surprise me and this surprised the hell out of me.

Little did I know, my wife, at the same exact time I was preordering the system/zelda, was on her phone preordering the Neon and Zelda Master edition. She wanted to surprise me and when I told her the next morning I had preordered the system she asked "Are you really sure you want it? I mean you know how launch consoles are, you should probably wait". I'm stubborn, didn't listen and just kept the preorder.

I'm a 34 year old man, that got teary about Zelda and a surprise, today is a good day.

Epcott

I'm liking this hardware too... but I do have three major gripes.

1. The strap is too hard to get off the controller. I made sure it was unlocked (at the end and held down the release button) yet it was still insanely hard. My hand slipped and I nearly flipped back my thumb nail trying to get the damn thing off (there is a crack in my fingernail now).

2. If you're not playing a game, there really isn't a damn thing to do with the system but look at the news screen. No Netflix, no Hulu, just barebones gaming... which whouldn't be bad if there were more to play besides Zel...

Moving on to 3: All of my friends list adds from Wii to Wii U are gone. Every console you have to start over again, which womps. Now I have to give out that long winded code.

Aside from these things, I love it. Feels like I'm dreaming when I take it out the dock and realize I'm playing the latest full fledged Zelda on a tiny screen. This console is going to do great things.

PSFan

Well, all my stuff arrived and I just finished setting it up. Switch works great, no issues at all.

WiFi connected right up with full bars, and my room is on the opposite side of the house from my router. The update was done in like a minute. So now I just have to decide if I want to play Zelda on the TV first or in handheld mode lol.

mclem

Liking Zelda, but thought it's about time to take a break - so, are there any eShop demos out there that have a particularly good showcase of HD Rumble? I'd like to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom