• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyanity

Banned
I know it's easy to feel regret after a big purchase like the Switch, and ESPECIALLY when it seems to have all these little issues, but for me personally, Nintendo consoles have always been about the games. And I don't doubt that Nintendo is going to deliver some kick-ass games to this console. I can see myself toting my switch around everywhere I go for a long time.

RoKKeR

Question, if I link my Nintendo account to our Switch, will my sister be able to create an account and get the free online service trial as well?

boxter432

I know it's easy to feel regret after a big purchase like the Switch, and ESPECIALLY when it seems to have all these little issues, but for me personally, Nintendo consoles have always been about the games. And I don't doubt that Nintendo is going to deliver some kick-ass games to this console. I can see myself toting my switch around everywhere I go for a long time.

well I can't play zelda if I can't make Link walk :/

Was it dead out of the box? My right one worked fine but stopped functioning completely once I set them on my docked switch.

no it worked as I was setting it up (it was less charged than the right). I even went to the screen gamexplain showed where you can test the analog stick. and it worked ok (while undocked and joycons separated).
can't play zelda at all, and can't navigate home menu without it shooting to the corner and then preventing me from moving. ive downloaded update, fully powered off multiple times, played with the grip. it stops responding immediately every time.

Kyuur

Do you know how long this takes? Debating on refunding through Amazon or sending it in.

From the email:

Your system should be returned to you about three weeks from the time your package is received by Purolator. Return shipping could take longer if the package is being shipped to a P.O. Box.

I just went and grabbed another pair for now, was going to end up with another controller at some point so -shrug-

What malfunctioning? The disconnecting issues or did your drop cause something else? I dropped my left joy con on my carpeted floor last night and so far I haven't noticed any issue.

The stick doesn't register going left fully, it won't even get to the threshold required to move the main menu left. All other directions are fine, the click is a little less responsive than before but still works. My floor is hard tiles, it might have just have landed wrong or something too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, I wish there were an iPad smart cover kind of case. And it worked when docked. As of now, seems like the Nintendo official case is the best bet.

It's HERE!

17103728_10158210783395456_6107122556041751938_n.jpg

I love your framed art there in the background! Where'd you get that?

TrisMcC

Neo Member
I have set up the system, haven't played anything until the kids go to bed.

Anyone know if we can pin-lock users or saves? I shudder to think what my kids may do to my zelda save. I think Wii U has that capability. I know I can set up users and link nintendo accounts, but I can't seem to force a password on my user.

Is the idea that we just always put this thing into sleep mode and throw it in the dock when it's not being used? Seems weird to me to just be constantly charging it even if it's not being used heavily or even at all for weeks at a time.

Belakor

Banned
The more I watch Breath of the Wild videos,the more I think Switch is a continuation of 3DS rather than Wii U.

I'm not doubting that the new Zelda has an excellent gameplay and world design,but I can't believe that in the year 2017,1080p gaming and some proper aliasing isn't a standard thing.I mean,if Nintendo had released a console of vanilla PS4 specs at around the 300$ price mark,what would be the drawbacks really? Is there really anyone right now that bought Switch for the gimmicks it offers instead of an extremely good launch title and the ones that will follow?

Whether Switch was using a traditional or a motion controller,whether it had a touchpad or touchscreen,people would still buy it due to Zelda,Mario etc.

Personally I was really interested- since the leak of the NX- on what Nintendo had up their sleeves,but after seeing the final result,It seems I will wait untill they make a proper and more powerful "docked only" iteration of Switch

The more I watch Breath of the Wild videos,the more I think Switch is a continuation of 3DS rather than Wii U.

I'm not doubting that the new Zelda has an excellent gameplay and world design,but I can't believe that in the year 2017,1080p gaming and some proper aliasing isn't a standard thing.I mean,if Nintendo had released a console of vanilla PS4 specs at around the 300$ price mark,what would be the drawbacks really? Is there really anyone right now that bought Switch for the gimmicks it offers instead of an extremely good launch title and the ones that will follow?

Whether Switch was using a traditional or a motion controller,whether it had a touchpad or touchscreen,people would still buy it due to Zelda,Mario etc.

Personally I was really interested- since the leak of the NX- on what Nintendo had up their sleeves,but after seeing the final result,It seems I will wait untill they make a proper and more powerful "docked only" iteration of Switch

I feel you but Breath of the Wild is one of those games that if you are even remotely interested in you should play, even with some of the technical shortcomings. It's so good it's constantly blowing my mind. I watched a review where they stated everything it put a certain way in the game world for a reason and it is 100% spot on. Honestly the most brilliant game design I've ever seen.

How do you turn off the pro controller? Or does it automatically happen in sleep mode.

Mine auto turns off when I put the Swithch into sleep mode.

BizzyBum

My USB headset doesn't work with Switch (expected since it states made for PC and PS4) and my Apple earbuds don't have long wires, so is there any good headset options for this yet?

Just got my Switch!... But still waiting on the postman to deliver Zelda. :(

Downloaded the Dragon Quest Warriors game and HOLY MOLY is the framerate atrocious in that game! I have Hyrule Warriors on my n3DS and that game is nowhere near as bad as this one.

Personally I'd rather they downgrade the graphics way more (like Hyrule Warriors 3DS did from the Wii U version) to make it run somewhat decently.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My USB headset doesn't work with Switch (expected since it states made for PC and PS4) and my Apple earbuds don't have long wires, so is there any good headset options for this yet?
It's fucking bullshit it doesn't work with Bluetooth headphones.

th4tguy

I bought a pro controller and it came with a USB c cable for charging. Now I was considering buying a second charge cable for portable mode but can I use this cable and something like an iPhone/ iPad power brick instead?

SpeedNut

Walked into the local Best Buy at around 3ish and burned up my $145 reward dollars, $45 in BB gift cards, and $40 MasterCard GF and left with a Neon Switch. They had no gray in stock but about a dozen neon left, and some of every accessory out there including the pro controller. This location was not one of the midnight openings.

Leatherface

Absolutely adore this console and Zelda. I'm very optimistic for Nintendo with this new console. Shoutout to fastRMX as well. Solid racer. Looks great and runs like a dream. Amazing! 😮

Miyahon

Anyone else know if you can use the headphone output while docked? I like to use headphones and mostly game on a monitor.

So, interesting story. I went to Best Buy today looking for the Zelda Special Edition (or, if I was really lucky, the Master Edition). Unsurprisingly, they had neither. But as I was looking an employee came up to me and asked if I had a Switch cause they had literally just got a truck shipment of like 4 or 5 of them. I wasn't ever expecting to get a Switch this soon, but looks like I've officially joined the launch party for this thing!

I'm in the process of setting it up now so I can play Zelda (bought the regular version of the game with the Switch), but first impression of the system: holy crap, its small! I thought it'd be noticeably larger. Are there people still criticizing it for not being portable enough? Cause this is about as portable as it can reasonably get.

Anyone else know if you can use the headphone output while docked? I like to use headphones and mostly game on a monitor.

You can and I have done just the same.

I actually hooked them up to my wireless (ironic) Logitech G933 headset with the 3.5mm adapter and it worked great.

Wonder if the Joy-Con issues are related to some form of interference or if it is just some kind of defect. I am not having any issues with mine even if I put the left one behind my back and play for a bit like that and I am sitting roughly 8 feet from my console.

jonno394

I wasn't sold with my first experiences earlier this afternoon, but a good hour playing Zelda, a few races in Fast Racing RMX and a level or two of Shovel Knight has made me realise I love this thing (especially hand held mode). My Pro Controller will likely collect dust now!

I guess I can add my console to the list of consoles that don't charge while playing Zelda docked. Been playing for about an hour, it's still on 83% (was about 70% when I plugged it in).

OmegaFax

welp its unplayable. 5 feet from the console the left joycon stops working no matter what I do.

I'm getting the same problems with my left joycon. The thing gets unstable even at a close distance (arm's length literally) ... Link will become unresponsive in Breath of the Wild ... button presses will become delayed. I've had it completely disconnect on me twice. Nothing but problems and I'm about five hours into owning the thing.

boxter432

Just move your Switch away from the aquarium.

but my fighting beta fish!

I did do a temporary solution.... move switch from spot next to tv...extension cord so it can sit on the table in front of me (its about 3 feet in front of tv, couch about 4 feet in front of switch).
terrible setup for everyday life, works to allow me to at least play zelda for a while. need a pro controller, called gamestop (have giftcards) to ask if they had any in stock: "i think that item is sold out across the whole country"

Whoyouare

Do I have a bad unit? Screen turns on says Nintendo then goes black. This happens over and over. I just plugged it in for the first time

What a wonderful console. I've never considered electronics beautiful before but everything about this thing is sleek. Got mine at midnight and it's perfect. It took no time to set up, everything works like a charm, no connection issues even if I wander around my large room. It took a few tries to download the patches since I imagine the servers were getting hit hard but after waiting a bit to try again it took less than 20 minutes to update everything. I played Zelda until 4 AM and have spent most of today doing the same. Not a single negative thing to say. I just wish I had a little more spending money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom