• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just had a pretty embarrassing and a little terrifying ordeal. Without thinking, I put the wrist strap extension on a joycon without realizing there are specific ones for each joycon. It slid into place pretty easily but wasn't aligned correctly. It took a couple of seconds to recognize my mistake and it took forever to try to get it off. I was panicking I thought I was going to have to rip it off with force and potentially break something, but eventually after playing around with the lock and wiggling it around I was able to get it off. Whew.

It's kind of a design flaw that they can so easily be put on the wrong joycon, without any sense of pushback indicating you're doing it wrong. It's also pretty easy to miss the + and - symbols on the extensions, especially when you're all excited and just want to start playing the system. Nintendo should have put big bold letters on the little extension packages saying "For the left/right joycon only".

I can see this being an issue for many people, especially kids and stuff.

The straps work for both left and right controller. Turn ot around, one side has a plus, one a minus sign. You only have to be careful to line them up with the right symbol and don't put them on upside down.

My left Joy-Con is giving me trouble. It locks in more securely than the right.

Apart from that and some earlier network issues, the Switch is good.

I do want to be able to power down the console completely however.
Press and hold the power button, then it lets you turn it off with a menu.

blitz64

I can't believe this doesn't come with a browser, youtube, netflix, and hulu.

Even cheap tvs comes with all this. I hope a browser comes out eventually or someone jailbreaks it to add a browser.

Voras

My copy of Zelda just arrived from Amazon, too bad that it's going to go unplayed until Monday because of Best Buy's screw up.

Big Chungus

dammit, i put the wristband attachment on my joycon incorrectly, now its stick and i cant get it out

help!

anyone else do this and was able to get it off?

DjRalford

When I log into Nintendo and go to the shop menu it just shows a box with my balance. There is nothing at all to click on.

On my Nintendo?

Goto settings
Shop menu
Merge funds

If it's just 1 box with a balance it should say merged in the corner.

How is the official Vs hori for thickness and overall size? Got the hori but it isn't that hard on the outside so maybe the official would be a good option if it's thinner (needs to go in my backpack for commuting)

Hori is noticeably thicker than the Official, but I ended up keeping the Hori because my Switch fits better inside w/ the PDP silicon grips.

Matbtz

dammit, i put the wristband attachment on my joycon incorrectly, now its stick and i cant get it out

help!

anyone else do this and was able to get it off?

Yes I did this and I forced a bit more to get it out and everything was okay

Nesther

Anyone else keep trying to find the home button and realizing it's not where the Wii U one's was? Gonna take awhile until I lose the habit!

I have ended up with:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Blaster Master Zero (god bless region free)
Metal Slug 3
Shock Troopers

That might not look good to some people, but that's a pretty amazing launch line-up to me

nath999

lol watching IGN stream on all the Launch games. You can see how fast the joy con novelty wares off on people within the first 15 minutes of using it. 1-2 switch looked hilariously bad.

Kaelan

Loving fast RMX. Hell it plays great even with one joycon, great recommendation for split play. Looks great on TV, even way better on handheld. Online is smooth.

PSFan

On my Nintendo?

Goto settings
Shop menu
Merge funds

If it's just 1 box with a balance it should say merged in the corner.

Nothing in the corner and the box says my balance is 0.00. And I have 10 bucks in 3ds/WiiU eshop I want to merge. Nothing at all to click on.

Velkyn

I have ended up with:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Blaster Master Zero (god bless region free)
Metal Slug 3
Shock Troopers

That might not look good to some people, but that's a pretty amazing launch line-up to me

My credit cards don't work for the Japanese shop. Do did you pick up a Japanese eshop card or did yours work?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Any consensus on the low wifi signal problem yet? I noticed I'm barely connected all day now.

Setting up everything reminds me of my younger days. There is a certain...charm with Nintendo consoles. I've forgotten what it's like.

Minor gripes so far: It's annoying that I can't double tap a button on the keyboard which capitalizes. I get that you can tap it, but I hate interrupting my flow.

I wish there was more themes besides white and black. I suppose that's for a future update. For now I'm rolling with basic black, just like Neogaf although white does look nice as well.

Media apps. I still think it's stupid that it didn't release without ANY media apps or browser. Nintendo needs to reel in casuals as well as the hardcore.

But so far so good. I haven't played Zelda yet since I'm messing around with the system.

terrible

Banned
I've got the joycon sync issues, damn it. If I sit with my feet up on my couch and my knees get in between the joycons and the Switch it acts up. It's like the PS4 controller interference problems all over again.

goldenpp72

So how are you guys holding your switch in the mobile mode? I find i'm having an issue getting comfortable with it, like I can't ever reach all the buttons naturally, I have to move my hands around to get to different things.

Vena

So...Am I in the minority in liking the Switch and thinking it's going to do better than the Wii U?

Everywhere I look people are acting like it's already dead and buried and it's honestly stressing me out.

No you're not in the minority, but the system has its launch day kinks and wrinkles. But its not on fire.

This sort of stuff won't be apparent for months, and anyone saying or fearing this right now is doing nothing but looking for confirmation bias.

Downhome

I feel like a moron. I can't get the system to connect with the dock and show up on the screen. It's plugged in to power and TV, but when I insert it nothing really happens. The green light on the dock flashes for a second then goes off and it doesn't register it at all. Not charging, not on TV, nothing.

Am I missing something very obvious?

Kikorin

My god, this evening I've played a couple of hours of Zelda and fuck if this console is not amazing.

Can't believe to play it on handheld, is absolutely incredible, no words.

Other than that, I had some problems with my left joycon when I was playing far from the console and in front of my big desk, but I solved it coming closer to the console.

So how are you guys holding your switch in the mobile mode? I find i'm having an issue getting comfortable with it, like I can't ever reach all the buttons naturally, I have to move my hands around to get to different things.
How large are your hands? I'm not really having any issues thus far.

BFIB

Just got home, took the console out of the box, got it setup and I am officiating my future sis in laws wedding, so I'm letting it charge up while we go over stuff. Don't want to start BOTW then have to stop 10 minutes in.

First impressions, it is a really solid piece of kit. Its by far the most "premium" a Nintendo console has felt, at least to me.

bobawesome

I love the Switch itself but hate, hate, hate the dock already. It feels like I'm going to shred the back of the system when I take it out.

Me and the wife are ready!!!

sT3V8Sw.jpg

How is the HD rumble? It was one of the more interesting features, but I haven't seen anyone mention it today.

Only 1 "game" uses it, and yep, it rumbles. The controllers are very small, so I don't see it adding anything meaningful to gameplay in the long run.

The_Lump

Banned
Ok so linked to my Nintendo Account (which was linked to my NNID on WiiU)

So how come I can't get the Mii that's my Nintendo Network account avatar to show up on my Switch? Only lets me create a new Mii :( That's really annoying.

I have no idea why you guys have problems with the missing d-pad. I'm currently playing Shovel Knight and it plays just as good as it was on PS4 or X1. I've no problems at all tbh.

careksims

Now I can finally join this thread. Setup went smoothly. Had to fiddle with the Wi-Fi settings but even that went well. Now updating Zelda! Really happy with it! Pro controller is boss.

This is already the best system I've ever owned from a convenience perspective. If it has a game library anywhere in the ballpark of the 3DS, it'll probably become my favorite console ever. The rumble feels very different from any other system, and I've only felt it in BotW and the menus, I haven't even felt it when it's actually used properly. I can't wait to experience that.

_h8bit

Banned
Totally loving this thing. The only stupid thing i've run into is when i try to charge my Switch with the Anker Powercore+ using a USB C to USB C cable, it charges the powerbank instead of the console... 🤔🤔🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom