• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this may sound stupid but have do you turn off the system?

I know there's sleep mode but how do you completely turn off the system?

Edit, lol I swear I did that before by holding the power button but it didn't work before

BadWolf

i have an opinion so im a troll? the console is awesome because what it has zelda? Wiiu has that, only thing is taking the pad with you that is it

Don't worry about it, there is usually a defense force regardless of how real issues might be.

Happens every console launch.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So, this may sound stupid but have do you turn off the system?

I know there's sleep mode but how do you completely turn off the system?
Hold down the power button, then go to power options.

ryushe

The first time I went to the eShop it asked me if I wanted to save my password. Are you not getting that prompt?

You can set it to remember your password, I don't remember exactly how (I think I was presented with the option at some point?). It's definitely in there though.

You can also set the system to remember your user profile so you don't have to select yourself every time you start a game/app.
thanks you two. Found it.

Steveo

Banned
I'm going to stop playing Zelda for now until the pro controller I ordered from GameStop comes in.

The analog sticks on the Joycons are awful, surprisingly awful.

I don't understand how in a generation where Sony and Microsoft nailed the analog sticks. Nintendo dropped the ball so badly with the Joycon analogs.

If you like Nintendo consoles and know you'll be picking up their first party content as per usual, then there's little reason not to pick one up. Nintendo fans are used to launch day dissapointment.
Man I really can't decide. I have a Switch and Zelda sitting right next to me but the joycon issues are kinda making me nervous. Thinking if I should just return it and wait until Super Mario Odyssey to buy it.

I do have a WiiU so i can still play Zelda...damn it lol...decisions decisions. Reason I bought a Switch is cause I wanted the best possible Zelda experience.

the_id

Spent an hour or so with the console today. Initially it was set up with my PC in the office but It didn't fit in so placed it in the lounge.

The first thing is just how SMALL the footprint is for this console! I've got it in the lounge and it's barely taking any space.

Some points on my one hour experience:
- very solid console
- very cheap feeling dock!!!!
- Joycons button placement is awkward. I prefer the pro controller. Maybe I need to spend more time with it
- playing with joycons in portable mode feels uncomfortable, but again, I may adapat to it
- pro controller feels like Xbox one controller; comfortable, ergonomic and actually solidly built

- surprised at how warm the console could get
- also, the kick back stand is not sturdy enough to hold on to the weight of the console
- very barebones OS. Hopefully more will be added

I've been playing Zelda and this game feels like playing a studio ghibli game. Can't get used to playing portable yet, maybe because I'm used to playing on big screens.

Overall, not regretting my purchase. I will spend more time with Zelda later.

I just wish there were more launch games to play.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Don't worry about it, there is usually a defense force regardless of how real issues might be.

Happens every console launch.

I know Im sorry but this is not the second coming of consoles. Will it be good/great in the future maybe depending what nintendo does with it, but literally this console offers nothing right NOW

"The os is amazing and sleek" ya but there is literally nothing on it right now.

Creating a Mii was boring as shit just bland no music or anything

The design for the joys not bad however put them on the wrong way have fun getting them off

Games? what games, Zelda sure yay, Wiiu has that

. Taking it with you where you go, sure ill give you that but it doesn't warrant a purchase of like 400 Canadian right now

Maybe when it gets more games and Nintendo adds more to the system

BFIB

Just finally got done w/ a few hrs of hands on time. Here's my initial thoughts for anyone who cares:

-This product feels premium. From setting it up initially to playing BOTW w/ the tablet, Nintendo has knocked the design of the tablet end out of the park.

-The dock, even though its just a passthrough looks nice. I tested taking the tablet out of the dock a few times, and within a few seconds my game loaded right up going docked to undocked, and vice versa.

-The tablet screen itself looks good. Even though its 720P, the screen really shines.

-Zelda in docked mode looks....well....kind of shitty to be honest. Granted I'll probably play it this way off and on, but most of my time will be in tablet mode, so its not a huge deal.

-The joycons took a little getting used to, but after a few minutes into playing Zelda, everything adjusted easily

-The Joycon grip is pretty narrow, but just like the initial JoyCon hands on, after a few minutes, you adjust.. Its good enough, as I just cannot justify paying $60 for a Pro Controller at this point.

It may be a soft launch, but the potential for this device is high. Way, way more than what the Wii U offered. My wife checked it out, she's not a gamer at all, and was really impressed with how easy Nintendo just makes this concept work. I can't wait to dig into Zelda some more tomorrow, but a 60 plus hr work week and 2 year old has wore this old man out. Time to paraglide to bed.

ZZMitch

I know Im sorry but this is not the second coming of consoles. Will it be good/great in the future maybe depending what nintendo does with it, but literally this console offers nothing right NOW

"The os is amazing and sleek" ya but there is literally nothing on it right now.

Creating a Mii was boring as shit just bland no music or anything

The design for the joys not bad however put them on the wrong way have fun getting them off

Games? what games, Zelda sure yay, Wiiu has that

. Taking it with you where you go, sure ill give you that but it doesn't warrant a purchase of like 400 Canadian right now

Maybe when it gets more games and Nintendo adds more to the system

I don't own a Wii U so I don't regret it at all. Zelda is amazing. Also looking forward to Mario Kart (again, no Wii U). I can understand it being lackluster for Wii U owners tho.

Has anyone seen the PDP Switch case or the Hori stand for sale at any brick and mortar stores?

A1WXfLAocbL._SX385_.jpg

61Ly9jIq-cL._AC_SX215_.jpg

Toyrs R Us had both today.

I wasn't planning on getting one at launch. But I found some old gift vouchers which gave me about 40% discount at a local shop. So I ended up getting it. I couldn't the temptation of new Nintendo hardware in the end.

Got

Banned
Holy shit it's a plastic screen? Yikes... Wonder if a tempered glass screen protector would feel good then.

Was too busy today to pick it up from ups gotta wait till tomorrow ahh

It would definitely make it feel more quality. Oh well. 2nd iteration probably.

Here I am babying the machine into the dock to charge it when the cable that came with the pro controller can also plug in and charge it. No need to dock it anymore.

exfatal

None of the rewards are worth getting anyways.

well yeah but he switch just came out do you honestly believe that they wont add any discounts for games for the switch? Or is this one of the service is 100% so lets not even bother with it at all kind of attitude im dealing with?

when u insert the game cartridge. go and highlight the game and click - there should be an option to claim your Nintendo reward.

Unfortunately doesn't look like we get points for purchasing the Switch.

Branduil

Is it confirmed that any USB-to-LAN converter will work with the Switch?

Also, kind of a weird request, but can anyone post the back of the official Nintendo Switch carrying case and screen protector box in English? My Japanese isn't good enough to read the back of mine.

Edzi

I don't see any guide on the box for how to actually dock/remove this thing, and I'm too scared to just jam it in there and pull it back out. Also, do the joy cons have to be attached while docking it?

And is it just me, or are the joy cons insanely difficult to take off?

BFIB

I don't see any guide on the box for how to actually dock/remove this thing, and I'm too scared to just jam it in there and pull it back out. Also, do the joy cons have to be attached while docking it?

Dont jam it, just slowly glide it down. Its really hard to miss the connection to the USB-C port in the dock. Same with removing, just slowly lift up. Joycons to not have to be attached, but it does make it easier to use those to "guide" the system down in the dock.

Joycons are easy to remove. Just click the button and push up on the controllers. They slide right out.

sleepnaught

Just gently slide it in and out. It doesnt need any force for the connections to meet the contact on the dock. As for the joycons, there shouldn't be any difficult. Are you making sure to hold the release buttons on the back of the joycon as you're pulling them off?

Majine

Banned
Will probably get another USB-C charger to have by the bed so I don't have to go to the TV and plop it in there to charge.

DjRalford

The console locates and drops in quite easily, just get it central and it drops straight in.

There is a
knack-android.png
to the joycons

The Lamp

After using my Switch for a day, I get it.

I really like the concept.

The seamless transition of going about my house from portable to TV, portable to TV, portable to TV...Oh wait I'm gonna go do something boring outside the house? Okay, bring the portable.

I love it. I want all my games this way. I want all my favorite series on Switch. I want them all in my pocket and on my TV.

It's such a flavorful concept that I'm sure Sony and Microsoft will mimic the execution somehow like they did motion control in their future consoles (I know the Vita, but the Switch is the fully realized concept of the Vita, honestly).

Skeletos311

I used the cable that came with the Pro controller and one of those black Amazon chargers to play and charge earlier. Works for me.

MrMephistoX

I don't own a Wii U so I don't regret it at all. Zelda is amazing. Also looking forward to Mario Kart (again, no Wii U). I can understand it being lackluster for Wii U owners tho.

It's marketed to Nintendo hardcore only at the moment and that's fine: you don't release a console in March to go after the mainstream. Intelligent systems and the portable teams developing for this as well means it has so much damn potential I hope they don't just release a 3DS successor as well: this should be it. If anything they should just offer a dock less SKU at some point and call it a day.

Edzi

Just gently slide it in and out. It doesnt need any force for the connections to meet the contact on the dock. As for the joycons, there shouldn't be any difficult. Are you making sure to hold the release buttons on the back of the joycon as you're pulling them off?

Yeah, I just find it awkward to get a good grip/angle.

Mrbob

It may be a soft launch, but the potential for this device is high. Way, way more than what the Wii U offered. My wife checked it out, she's not a gamer at all, and was really impressed with how easy Nintendo just makes this concept work. I can't wait to dig into Zelda some more tomorrow, but a 60 plus hr work week and 2 year old has wore this old man out. Time to paraglide to bed.

I think what helps is the Switch feels like a modern electronics device where the Wii U looks like a toy. Especially that game pad.

I'm going to stop playing Zelda for now until the pro controller I ordered from GameStop comes in.

The analog sticks on the Joycons are awful, surprisingly awful.

I don't understand how in a generation where Sony and Microsoft nailed the analog sticks. Nintendo dropped the ball so badly with the Joycon analogs.

I don't know if I would fully agree and say the Joycons are awful but I do think they are disappointing. They are fine in portable mode as the Switch feels like an upgraded vita. But the grip and Joycons pale heavily compared to the Pro Controller. Joycon sticks and buttons are way too small plus the Pro Controller feels great. You'll have a better experience once you get your pro controller.

Haven't owned a nintendo system since the Wii but I was reading through this thread and just wanted to say that I am legitimately shocked that Nintendo still uses friend codes. It's hard to imagine a less user-friendly system. How have they not figured out usernames by now? I mean, I know it's Nintendo, but yeesh.

DjRalford

It's marketed to Nintendo hardcore only at the moment and that's fine: you don't release a console in March to go after the mainstream. Intelligent systems and the portable teams developing for this as well means it has so much damn potential I hope they don't just release a 3DS successor as well: this should be it. If anything they should just offer a dock less SKU at some point and call it a day.

totally agree, a SKU without dock, joycon grip or HDMI and knock £100 / $100 off the price, if they can market it well enough to the 3DS crowd they'd clean up.

a SKU like that at £180 / $200, i think they would fly off the shelves.

ZZMitch

Yeah one of the main reasons I went for the Switch is the feeling that I would be able to play all of Nintendo's games in one spot. Would be super disappointed if there was a 3DS successor that wasn't a modified Switch

I've only really played docked so far, but I'm really enjoying the pro controller. After a few hours of using it, I've gotten used to it and it feels excellent.

I've added everyone I could find from the past 10 pages or so, and if anyone would like to add me:

SW-2997-8467-7281

Jeff-DSA

Ok, so 1-2 Switch is unexpectedly fun. My wife, my kids, and I just played for 2 hours straight. We were all laughing and having a good time. Even my 4-year old was able to do well. It'll be a flash in the pan, but I'm happy with what it's been so far.

So anyone get I Am Setsuna? Any good on this device?

Yeah I think it works great on the switch seems made for it actually. Zelda is so detailed, I think its better appreciated on a TV both for the graphics of the game and the text (which is very small)

Setsuna looks great in handheld mode since it scales down just right - on the PC you could make out the fine details so for example you could make out the polygons making the character which didnt look good compared to higher budget games on the kind of resolutions PC games run on. On Switch, they look great since they scale down just right. The text is also nice and readable, and I think a turn based battle system works great on a handheld - and being able to pause and resume at any time.

totally agree, a SKU without dock, joycon grip or HDMI and knock £100 / $100 off the price, if they can market it well enough to the 3DS crowd they'd clean up.

a SKU like that at £180 / $200, i think they would fly off the shelves.

I don't think any of that stuff comes close to costing $100.

Majine

Banned
Yeah one of the main reasons I went for the Switch is the feeling that I would be able to play all of Nintendo's games in one spot. Would be super disappointed if there was a 3DS successor that wasn't a modified Switch

No, I hope this is it.

No more segragation in the Nintendo software output (bar mobile games like Super Mario Run I guess).

Plasmid

Anyone else having issues charging from the wall?

I bought this cable. I currently have it in a iphone charger block, which i think might be why.

My switch is hanging around 82% but doesn't seem to want to charge more. I'm away from the dock so i wanted to see if anyone else was having issues.

Any specific charger / block we should be using for "on the go" charging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom