• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayon

I just picked mine up an hour ago. I'm setting it up now. This thing is really nice. Funny, it doesn't necessarily feel like 300 dollars. A Vita is an obvious step up in hardware quality, imo. Yet it all feels so nice and smart that I don't mind a bit. Great to handle and fun to use. Nothing functionally feels or works less than very well so far. I'm very pleased. This thing is ready to be 249 and 199 whenever they feel like it, I think. And for those prices, it will be rather impressive.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I agree. Especially now with how quick the system is it's an instant capture and upload. Stupid of them to scrap it.
Yeah, the crazy thing is they cultivated a pretty successful, cool community with Miiverse. I can't really believe they're just letting it disappear this quickly, which is the only hope I have that they're going to continue it in some way.

MoonFrog

Got my Switch earlier. Smaller than it looks; liking the hybrid functionality a lot.

Definitely going to need a pro controller. The joycon grip controller isn't bad, but I found myself clawing to run and jump in Zelda. Wouldn't tend to do that if the buttons were bigger and I could just hold down b with the joint and press x with the tip.

Also want to get an SD card and a carrying case.

On the fence about I am Setsuna and Disgaea 5 (eShop import). I'd like to support JRPG on the console/have some other games on it than Zelda, but I've got other games I'm going to be playing at this time, I am Setsuna has mixed impressions, and Disgaea's aesthetic pushes me away.

I would like to buy Puyo Puyo, but doesn't seem to have English.

Does the Switch only charge the Joycons while it's docked? Also, should I be concerned that my left Joycon seems to have run low on battery far faster than the right?

After playing Zelda for roughly 5-6 hours with the joy-on (25% using grip, 25% by themselves, 50% in handheld mode), I have to say I have no issue at all with them, at least as far as comfort goes. Haven't had any syncing issues also, but I haven't been too far away from the unit/had much in between the two). The size of the controllers almost feels like they were made for my slightly smaller male hands. Seriously considering returning the Pro Controller I bought, but am still unsure. Might just keep it because I know I'll eventually need one for MP with more than 2 people.

So tired. Quick switch impressions.

-Not too heavy, a plus. If it was much heavier I think the joy-cons wouldn't feel like sufficient grip.

-Fairly comfortable in handheld mode. I think the Vita, for example, is a bit more comfortable though. Wide-set design may impact this and I may get used to it with time. Wii U veterans who utilized the game pad a lot will probably feel at home.

-I'm disappointed with the comfort of the joy-cons on their own. A bit too small and reaching for non-dominant inputs (directional buttons on left joy-con, stick on right joy-con) doesn't feel great. More time may help. I remember disliking navigating the Wii-mote in games like Metroid Prime 3 initially.

-The wrist straps help with joy-con comfort a bit due to the increased size but their build quality is garbage and the side buttons are probably the worst feeling on any Nintendo controller.

-The joy-con grip controller is surprisingly comfortable for me. Would definitely take it traveling. I haven't tried a Pro controller yet but don't feel as much a rush to get one.

-Zelda specific but I like the motion aiming. Shame that more games in general don't make use of motion aiming. It feels great for fine-tuning your arrow shots.

I'm curious to see what kind of variations we see in the future with the joy-cons. I'd honestly buy some bulkier/thicker ones no matter how silly they might look.

Effect

Overall I'm happy with the Switch so far after playing Zelda for over 7 hours today.

- Setup was easy.
- Switch has a decent weight. I was very curious as to how heavy it would actually be.
- Grip is good. Feel comfortable to use.
- Joycons feel good as well. Thought they'd be to small use them in each hand but they're fine for me. I would like them a bit bigger but they're okay.
- Wifi signal could be stronger. I'm not sure if it's my setup or not. Everything else I have is fine be it cell phone, iPod, New 3DS XL, Wii U, PS3, Kindle Fire HD, or work laptop. I do have my router setup for access control so and can control what can be used on the network. Maybe that's not playing nice with the Switch? I ordered a cheap lan adapter that is suppose to work with the Wii and Wii U. So I'll use that if it becomes to much of an issue for me in the future. The update earlier in the day ran just fine even with the connection. I could not download the demo for Snipperclipgs though. This is launch day so maybe that's part of it. The system did lose the Internet connection though and it came back after a restart. So there is that.
- Dock inside could be better designed. There are things one can do to address this as shown in other threads.

Does the Switch only charge the Joycons while it's docked? Also, should I be concerned that my left Joycon seems to have run low on battery far faster than the right?

I remember reading that they get charged by the Switch when they're connected regardless of the Switch being docked or not. They will pull power form the Switch even in portable mode.

I wonder if the left runs low faster, especially if playing Zelda, because that's the one constantly being used to move the character. Also likely because they're not at a full charge out of the box. Mine started getting low after about 7 hours of playing straight and I never really connected them to the Switch to charge. It makes sense to me since they each have their own battery they'll drain at different speeds depending on usage.

Haven't taken mine out of the box yet. Still debating if I wanna keep it or not after reading all of the issues. If I decide tomorrow I don't wanna keep it I'll try to pass it along to a local Dallas area gaffer if any of you are interested.

TLZ

Banned
I'm only talking IQ. It definitely does run better on the handheld, though the framedrops are only occasional on docked.

They were constant when I played. Maybe I was in a troublesome area for too long. Still unacceptable imo. I see how it performed on the portable then when docked I expected at least the same performance with added stuff.

Meh anyway.

Shikoba

I'm a little confused, sorry if this has already been brought up:

So I started the system and used my US Nintendo account. After hearing about the ability to make and use a Japanese account to browse their store I went ahead and did that with no issue. Now, however, every time I use my Switch the news on the lock screen and app are Japanese. I check the system settings and it says americas. Any idea why it's defaulting to Japanese now? I still have my first profile on the system.

Yeah this is what I meant to say haha. I like the idea of all of Nintendo's stuff being one one hybrid system like this

I don't want them to split their library, but I hope they design a family of devices which all support the same cartridges, and can just play games to different levels of fidelity. Would happily buy a home-only Switch with everything internalised in the dock, or better yet a Pro version, to go alongside my current hybrid Switch.

LOZLINK

Anyone else feel like the left joycon thumbstick feels looser than the right? I've had it over about 30 hours, maybe from more use?

Kickz

So people who are 3DS gamers who bought the NS, can you envision this being your primary Nintendo portable going forward as the 3DS is fazed out???

antonz

Feel Free to Add me. Mario kart etc. will be a blast
SW-3787-2934-0976

So people who are 3DS gamers who bought the NS, can you envision this being your primary Nintendo portable going forward as the 3DS is fazed out???

I can for sure. Especially if they keep the library a healthy mix of full fledged console and more handheld style. Device has just the right amount of weight to it that it doesn't become heavy to hold for long periods of time and the screen really is great after all this time on the 3DS

Totally. I can see myself using this everywhere. I haven't downloaded Shovel Knight yet, but my 3DS is where I played that game the most, and I look forward to finishing that game up on the Switch as soon as my eshop card from GS finally gets emailed to me.

Effect

So I started the system and used my US Nintendo account. After hearing about the ability to make and use a Japanese account to browse their store I went ahead and did that with no issue. Now, however, every time I use my Switch the news on the lock screen and app are Japanese. I check the system settings and it says americas. Any idea why it's defaulting to Japanese now? I still have my first profile on the system.

Haven't messed around with a Japanese account yet but are you still signed into that account and not the US account even though the region was switch back to the Americas?

colui

Got the Switch yesterday, no issues aside from a slightly wobbly right joycon. Since the store didn't have another one to change it, I just hammered the metal rail until it fit properly :^)

Is that even when you switch back to your US account?

Future

The eshop is the saddest part of the console. My wallet is actually open and ready to repurchase some old 2D content cuz I like this screen and setup.... and there is almost nothing in the damn shop. I will never understand you Nintendo

Effect

SW-3787-2934-0976

I can for sure. Especially if they keep the library a healthy mix of full fledged console and more handheld style. Device has just the right amount of weight to it that it doesn't become heavy to hold for long periods of time and the screen really is great after all this time on the 3DS

Sent you a friend request. Should be from NeoStar9.

If anyone wants to add me here's my code.

SW-0302-5021-5458

Is there a thread for code exchanges?

Yup. There is nothing to suggest, from what I'm seeing, that this couldn't be a good replacement. It depends on the games and so far I'm getting the impression there will still be those pure hand held games released on the system and not just console games that can be played on the go. The system feels good to use when you hold it. It requires a case if you're going to be taking it with you in a bag so there's that added expense but once you have that one shouldn't worry about taking it with them I think.

bobawesome

Just noticed that the right side of the Switch has some chipped paint already. Wtf is up with the build quality of Nintendo products?

Okay, here's my issue--my Switch's included AC adaptor doesn't work.

So, I'm currently using the power brick and USB-C cable from my late-2016 MacBook Pro (which is an 87w adaptor).

I can't get the dock to work. It won't charge or output HDMI to the TV. I assume it has something to do with the big ol' power brick I'm using, but it's frustrating. Really want to see this thing on the big screen!

Anybody have experience with Nintendo sending in a defective AC adaptor?

Shikoba

Is that even when you switch back to your US account?

How do you sign in and out of accounts? Maybe that is where I'm confused. I can click on the profiles in the top left, but it's mostly just settings and friends options for that user. From what I can tell the system will prompt me to pick and account to use when I select an app or game (the difference being that when I select news it doesn't ask for a user, just goes in as Japanese). The rest of the system is in English as far as I can tell.

EDIT: you know what? I think I'm realizing what happened. The news page has all the English news on the bottom of the app page, while the newest news (which appeared after adding the Japanese account) was added on top of it. So now I'm seeing both the Japanese and English news in the same app page. I thought it was stuck on the Japanese only news, but scrolling down I believe it's actually showing me both? Perhaps someone with multiple region accounts can confirm that for me.

antonz

The eshop is the saddest part of the console. My wallet is actually open and ready to repurchase some old 2D content cuz I like this screen and setup.... and there is almost nothing in the damn shop. I will never understand you Nintendo

Hopefully when they said the E-shop will be getting weekly releases they mean right away. Time to get the indies etc. flowing

Kickz

Totally. I can see myself using this everywhere. I haven't downloaded Shovel Knight yet, but my 3DS is where I played that game the most, and I look forward to finishing that game up on the Switch as soon as my eshop card from GS finally gets emailed to me.

Nice that is good to hear, hopefully Nintendo gets enough of an install base to start getting projects for NS green lit from both their 3DS and home console divisions :)

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Anywhere anybody could think of that might still have some units, or perhaps an idea of when we might see a second wave? I really want to playZelda on this but I don't want to pay the gouge prices on eBay.

Cindro

Absolutely adoring this thing so far, but everytime I power it all the way down and dock it, it automatically powers back on and goes into save mode. This is without the "Match TV Power Settings" option enabled, too.

Is this thing supposed to be in sleep mode 24/7/365? That seems like putting needless strain on the parts, so I'm hoping I'm overlooking something here.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
You might want to create another account with a Japan location setting. There's already a bunch of 2D games on the J store.

For those who have used the Pro Controller, what is it in particular that you favor about it over the joy-con grip? Also, when you hold the Pro, are you able to hold your index finger on the bumper and then place your middle finger on the trigger? My only real annoyance so far with the joy-con is that the bumpers are kind of small so I can't have both my index and middle fingers on buttons.

Why would the build the dock with hard plastic guides instead of rubber stoppers? The screen scratching makes a lot of sense now.

Terrible design there.

Yeah, that was a dumb oversight not taking extra precaution for protecting the screen when using the Dock since adding some thin padding built into the inner part of the Dock couldn't have cost Nintendo that much money. I wish it wasn't going to take so long for my ordered tempered glass screen protector to get here.

Majine

Banned
The OS is pretty empty, but it feels like the stuff that's not there will probably be remedied eventually whereas the stuff that's there, if it wasn't, would never be fixed.

Like the speed. Going in and out of games is fast in a way that the Wii U never fully recovered from.

They have a solid foundation to work on.

Feel free to add me, and we'll play Mariokart next month: SW-5971-9972-4687

GeNoMe

Added! I will come up as ElOdyssey.

Edit: here's my friend code for who ever wants to add me. SW-2635-4082-1431

SW-3787-2934-0976

Sent you a friend request. Should be from NeoStar9.

If anyone wants to add me here's my code.

SW-0302-5021-5458

Is there a thread for code exchanges?

Yup. There is nothing to suggest, from what I'm seeing, that this couldn't be a good replacement. It depends on the games and so far I'm getting the impression there will still be those pure hand held games released on the system and not just console games that can be played on the go. The system feels good to use when you hold it. It requires a case if you're going to be taking it with you in a bag so there's that added expense but once you have that one shouldn't worry about taking it with them I think.

Added you guys, I needed some friends badly :') (name that will show up is genome)
Feel free to add my code to anyone interested!
SW-0803-6684-2700

This is something that I assume won't bother a lot of people, but as someone who plays games with their right thumb resting on the right stick of standard controllers by "default," frequently and near-subconsciously adjusting the camera in games like Zelda, the placement of the right stick on the joycons is... not fantastic. This is likely the single biggest thing that will keep this from being a primarily handheld system for me.

XaosWolf

I had a brain cramp followed by a bit of a freak-out moment tonight. I had taken the Joy-Cons off of the system and was putting on the strap attachments when I accidentally put one on upside down. It took a good five minutes of firm but careful pulling to get it to come off. But then after we were done playing, I went to take them off and was taken aback at how difficult they seemed to be to get off; I was pushing the release button on the Joy-Con and no the locks weren't engaged.

Are mine just finicky? Anyone else had any issues with them?

Aside from that, I'm very happy with the system in general. Very sleek, feels solid and weighty, the Joy-Con have a good feel, nice responsive buttons.

I did the same thing. Put one on correctly (a fluke clearly) but the other one went on upside down and was a bitch to remove.

Yeah I freaked out a little.

Is there any way to get rid of the Japanese news that gets added when you create a Japanese account?

I'd like to know this too.

unrealist

I know there is a physical "I Am Setsuna" with English language on Japanese sites that can be imported.

I am suprised to see the English version in a local game store, yes it has the English cover with all English text. Did I miss out something because I thought the English version was only available in digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom